Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would this be a good game for me?

WDSnavWDSnav Member Posts: 5

I have done like 3 14-day free trials and im thinking about maybe buying this game. Some things that I want to know are, is there anything else to do besides mine/do missions? Just seems like I would get bored of doing the same two things all the time. Also, I don't really care about PvP so is this a good game for a non-pvper?

Comments

• nurglesnurgles Member Posts: 840

It''s a sandbox based PvP game on a single shard.

once you understand that you realize that every aspect of the game can have a PvP component. someone can come and steal your loot in missions. they can find you on a mission in high sec space and suicide gank your very expensive carebear ship.

if you are mining, someone could come in mine all the asteroids that you were planing to make money off.

you are not mindlessly safe, ever. even when you are docked you can be ripped off on the market.

The upshot is that you must think, you must plan for your own security at every stage in the game. This is the challenge, it is not against npcs, it is against other players. The missions get boring very quickly (but are a good way to make in game credit).

If you want to not be involved in pew pew PVP, then you can always be an industrialist. you just have to manage the risk you expos yourself to, by flying hauler in a  smart fashion (knowing what to avoid, knowing how much value you can haul before a suicide ganker will see a pay off etc.) and never flying what you can't afford to loose.

• JoliustJoliust Member Posts: 1,329

Originally posted by nurgles
    never flying what you can't afford to loose.

+1

Sent me an email if you want me to mail you some pizza rolls.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

Do yourself a favor and wait for JumpGate Evolution instead. The proper Space MMO that gives you the feel of Wing Commander and Freelancer. Eve at the end of the day is just one dull spread sheet in space wth the most boring of turn based combat systems.  JumpGate evolution out later this year and beta sign up are open now. 

• CannesCannes Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by IAmMMO

Do yourself a favor and wait for JumpGate Evolution instead. The proper Space MMO that gives you the feel of Wing Commander and Freelancer. Eve at the end of the day is just one dull spread sheet in space wth the most boring of turn based combat systems.  JumpGate evolution out later this year and beta sign up are open now. 

AAARRGHH PLEASE stop posting the same thing 100 times! We heard (read) you the first time already!

• WizardBlackWizardBlack Member Posts: 156

I have played Eve quite a bit. Enough to get a feel for it.

It has some of the most realistic risks, I'd say. They are right in that you are not technically safe anywhere albeit high security ganking is not terribly common. Some of it depends on your 'neighborhood' you are in. Lots of things are related to money (just like real life) and the entire economy feeds combat (just like real life when a country is at war). You can do industrial stuff (mining, manufacturing, etc.) and you'd probably enjoy the game.

You can also do some daytrading and whatnot but you have to be careful that you don't get screwed (just in like real life). PvE is dreadfully grindy and repetitive. You have various types of agents that give you different mixes of missions: recon, combat, courier, mining, etc. I will say that there are only about two dozen missions of each type and they are simply rinsed and re-used with different locations. No one stays in the game for the PvE that I know of.

As they said, most of the economy is built around supplying combat operations and PvP. The only issue with this is that, based on the skill training system, you cannot really be effective and useful in PvP until you have played the game for about 6 months. Period. Likewise, many corporations (guilds) that are engaged in high-end content (areas of space with no security services except for what your corporation can provide) have to defend their area of space with PvP. In this aspect, you'd really only be considered on-par with what you might run against if you have over a year's worth of training.

The training is all in realtime, so the last thing you do before you log off is select a skill to train that will take longer than when you plan to log in next. As such, the first year or two's worth of real time training gives you more and more of an edge in combat and there is no way to offset that. You could say that you could purchase ultra-expensive equipment to offset the difference, but most PvP-ers have that too. Bottom line is, you are gonna lose lots of ships for a long time. It also requires skill and tactics (which you can indeed learn) but that is necessary to be on par as well.

In the meantime, you get to run the same dozen PvE missions to build money and wait for your skills to train.

All in all, Eve is very well put together but I think it has some substantial flaws in gameplay design and new player friendliness. They should build another couple shards; the first one is much much smaller and you can only play there until you hit, say, 5M skill points (three months). The next one until you hit, say, 15M SP, etc. At least that way new players can PvP and they know they'll be in a league with people somewhere within their own capabilities. As it stands, it's like a new player coming out with their common geared character at level 5 versus a battle-hardened player who has been doing PvP in the game for YEARS and has a level 70 character with elite gear. You get owned hardcore.

• FinwolvenFinwolven Member Posts: 289

@ WizardBlack:

While I agree with you in that having some skillpoints under your belt is a good thing if you intend to participate in the pew-pew type of PVP, it is not absolutely mandatory. In lieu of skillpoints, one simply has to think more.

Every pvp gang needs basic tacklers, which you can perform in with less then a months training, and scouts, for which you simply need an updated clone and a shuttle (though a combat-fitted frigate is better, and available to you, and a cloaked recon is the 'standard' top-form, which you can reach within those six months easily). You can be useful with these two roles, just don't expect to rack up kills right away. Being a scout, if you are good at it, will make your Fleet Commander love you, seriously. There's never enough intel.

Also, a low-sp player can also perform in many combat-support and alliance industrial roles, hauling supplies, supplying POSes with fuels etc. And training to fly basic industrial ships doesn't take months, either. Just don't go out when enemies are about.

Of course, since OP doesn't care so much about PVP (yet!), there's a very deep industrial side for him to immerse himself into, up to and including market share PVP without too much of that pesky pew pew. Mining, manufacturing, inventing... Everything you want to do is possible, just remember to research what you want to do before you try.

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449
    Originally posted by WDSnav

I have done like 3 14-day free trials and im thinking about maybe buying this game. Some things that I want to know are, is there anything else to do besides mine/do missions? Just seems like I would get bored of doing the same two things all the time. Also, I don't really care about PvP so is this a good game for a non-pvper?

what do  you not like about pvp?  have you done much pvping?  i'm just curious.

the only mmo my wife would play is wow.  i played it with her for quite a while when it first came out.  she'd never pvp'd and didn't like the idea of it.  one day the two of us stumbled upon a handful of horde (we were on alliance toons at the time), who were all marked for pvp.  i rushed in and started fighting, killing one of them and dying.  but i ran back to fight more and was laughing the entire time, even verbally taunting them (even though they couldn't hear me).  the wife finally decided to join in, and has loved pvp in wow ever since.    i have long since left wow, it was just too... boring.  to be competitive, i really did have to do long boring raids for countless hours, just doing the same thing in the same dungeon a bazillion times -- that's a job, that's not fun.

anyways, having said all of that, if you're pretty new, that's one of the best times to try out pvp in eve.  maybe even go join something like the corp - eve university.  you could see if you actually do enjoy the pvp or not.  plus they (or another friendly corp) could teach you the basics.

having said all of that, if you desire, you can mine, trade, haul/courier, run missions, do invention, collect datacores from R&D, perform stealthy recon/spy/scout for a corp, be a transvestite arms smuggler into low sec/0.0... i think the only thing you can't really do is be a prostitute, or have prostitutes working for you, in game that is.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• WizardBlackWizardBlack Member Posts: 156
    Originally posted by Finwolven

@ WizardBlack:
    While I agree with you in that having some skillpoints under your belt is a good thing if you intend to participate in the pew-pew type of PVP, it is not absolutely mandatory. In lieu of skillpoints, one simply has to think more.
    Every pvp gang needs basic tacklers, which you can perform in with less then a months training, and scouts, for which you simply need an updated clone and a shuttle (though a combat-fitted frigate is better, and available to you, and a cloaked recon is the 'standard' top-form, which you can reach within those six months easily). You can be useful with these two roles, just don't expect to rack up kills right away. Being a scout, if you are good at it, will make your Fleet Commander love you, seriously. There's never enough intel.
    Also, a low-sp player can also perform in many combat-support and alliance industrial roles, hauling supplies, supplying POSes with fuels etc. And training to fly basic industrial ships doesn't take months, either. Just don't go out when enemies are about.
    Of course, since OP doesn't care so much about PVP (yet!), there's a very deep industrial side for him to immerse himself into, up to and including market share PVP without too much of that pesky pew pew. Mining, manufacturing, inventing... Everything you want to do is possible, just remember to research what you want to do before you try.

LOL, yes, that's the time-honoured answer every Eve player will give you. Be a disposable semi-effective tackler. Been there and done that. Not always quite so effective as you make it sound, however. Unskilled tech 1 tacklers take all of 3 seconds worth of attention (or less; being nice here) before they are popped and medcloned back to somewhere else. That is, in all aspects, pure cannon fodder. Been a scout, too, but they really really want you to be a tech 2 recon pilot; otherwise you get pigeonholed in disposable tackler again.

Mining - Sure, in low volumes you can mine and basically play another game while you do it.

Manufacturing - You can if you want to lose ISK (by wasting minerals you mined) on making/selling items that sell for less than the minerals (until, again, you are much farther along on your skills).

Inventing - Same thing. Takes lots of real time and virtually no in-game time. Go try Capitalism 2 or something; at least it will keep you engaged.

I don't disagree that he can run around as an industrially-focused player easily enough from day 1 to day 1000 if he likes. My point is you CANNOT with PvP and that is the ultimate end-game for a lot of players whether they start that way or not.

Bottom line is that Eve will keep you about engaged enough that you can run two clients simultaneously, listen to music and still do high level college work at the same time (I did it).

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by WizardBlack

Bottom line is that Eve will keep you about engaged enough that you can run two clients simultaneously, listen to music and still do high level college work at the same time (I did it).

Well, this is one way to play EVE. Shame you never figured out other ways to enjoy it.

But there are other choices and I've found several ways to make it more fun, though most involve pvp activities, in gangs and fleets.

The PVE stuff is boring and just an ends to the mean.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GarkanGarkan Member Posts: 552

A Tackler is a good way for a newer player to be useful but imo a newbie in a E-War frigate is 10 times more useful than a frigate tackler, train ECM skills for a few days and fly a cheaply fit Griffin and you will make a difference because of the disruption you can cause. Granted your survivalbility is probably reduced even further but the training can carry through to a Blackbird which will serve you well in your early pvp career while you train for the more specialized and T2 ships and equipment.

All the races except the Minmatar have less skill intensive E-war cruisers to varying degrees of effectiveness like the Amarr Arbitrator and the Gallente Celestis and again imo these are far more useful and is a good way to start making a difference with lower SP pvp.

Currently playing:

EVE online (Ruining low sec one hotdrop at a time)

Gravity Rush,
    Dishonoured: The Knife of Dunwall.

(Waiting for) Metro: Last Light,
    Company of Heroes II.

• mosbornemosborne Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by IAmMMO

Jumpgate is a big dissapointment poor graphics weak propped up economy are you kidding Twitch based combat freakin company hype IMO.. Are you a jumpgate dev account? seriously