Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

8800GT and WoW

WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

There are serious issues between WoW and the 8800GT card.

http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=2405315159&sid=1

If your one of the lucky few without the issues good for you but personally I have had to cancel my account.

My card works fine when playing my fps titles at full hilt but wow comes to a crawl to the point where its not playable.

I am in a decent raiding guild and I fear I am going to loose my spot cause of this and if I do the door can slam my arse on the way out.

Trying conan soon hopefully fingers crossed it will be fine.

Comments

• DrChickenDrChicken Member Posts: 263

I have an 8800GT and it runs fine on WoW, although it has MANY, MANY, MANY other problems. The damnable thing heats up insanely after playing the more graphically intensive games (up to 80C within a few minutes), it sometimes rejects new patches released by nVidia (not the beta versions, the actual releases on the nvidia website), and it often produces artifacts that ultimately result in a PC crash (sometimes due to the heat, sometimes not). Then again, I bought a pre-OCed card, which is a completely idiotic idea - given the fact that most of the earlier generation 8800GTs are already unstable as is.

• smokeyjonsmokeyjon Member Posts: 77

If you haven't already tried this, it's worth a shot.  I had a number of guildies in AoC (before I cancelled) who had problems fixed with this method:

1. Download the 175.19 WHQL's from nvidia for your OS.

2. Download Driver Sweeper from http://phyxion.net/ and install it.  Note that if you are running Vista and install it into Program Files, you need to run it as an administrator for it to work properly.

3. Uninstall your current nvidia drivers via Add/Remove Programs.

4. Reboot when asked.  Boot into Safe Mode by hitting F8 before you see the Windows splash screen.

5. Run Driver Sweeper in Safe Mode, select Nvidia Graphics, and have it clean everything it finds.  Reboot Windows normally.

6. Install the 175.19's.  Reboot when asked.

Not promising this will solve all your problems, but as I said it's helped some people bigtime.  Good luck.

• xxreaper008xxreaper008 Member Posts: 181

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/15/view/forums/post/2099306#2099306

I once had the same problem as you. Reformat your HDD completly, it will work. On my thread there is SS of before and after. Trust me, reformating is the only way to go.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Going to try the driver cleaner thing first!

I bought a newer card I think MSI Zilent with a Zalman fan and a funky stock.

It hasnt crashed on me playing bf2142 yet

• xxreaper008xxreaper008 Member Posts: 181

You should of spent the extra 10$ for a real brand. They only have a 1 year warrenty, and MSI is known for using cheap parts but making it seem cool.

I got evga 8800gt, got a lifetime warrenty :P

• SaggraSaggra Member Posts: 99

Thats funny i have the 8800 GTX , i bought it when they first came out . It runs my sons WOW account like a champ. The first 6 months i had it forsure i had alot of problems running DX9 apps  and without a doubt it was the drivers

Now the drivers are pretty good , for me anyway

Originally posted by xxreaper008

You should of spent the extra 10$ for a real brand. They only have a 1 year warrenty, and MSI is known for using cheap parts but making it seem cool.

All my msi stuff seems very reliable and have never had a problem with any thing running 5 years +.

The msi board was the same price as a bfg a and came with great reviews.

A lifetime warrenty is only good if your going to use that product for a life time in 5 years + time I want a better rig.  However it does say something good about the manufacturer I have bought 2 bfgs in my past, this time though I went for something different.

This is the card http://tech-reviews.co.uk/reviews/msi-nx8800gt-zilent/

The ram is even cooled by the fan and heatsink.

Thanks Smokey for the link to driver sweeper, however it has not worked.

I am more convinced than ever that it is wow that has the problem with this card rather than my machine being at fault.

I will not be reinstalling my OS just to play wow to then perhaps find out it didnt work.  I will play some battlefield and try a few things out waiting for a fix.

It the fix doesnt come then I guess this is where me and the hold dog of wow part ways.

Thanks all for your help and input, Im fairly confident with many built machines and have repaired quite a few too, this time I really do think it aint me!

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

Lol @ your lifetime warrenty.

Are Evga even going to exist in 3 years time?

Lifetime warranties aren't worth spit if the company ceases trading.

• bluealien1bluealien1 Member Posts: 526
    Originally posted by baff

Lol @ your lifetime warrenty.

Are Evga even going to exist in 3 years time?

Lifetime warranties aren't worth spit if the company ceases trading.

Of course evga will be fine in 3 years, why would one of the largest graphics card manufacturers just go under for no reason?

My GFX card is an MSI, but had I seen an evga for that price I would have taken that instead in a heartbeat. There's no denying evga>MSI.

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

How about because they made a load of graphics cards that broke and they couldn't afford to buy them all back.?

How about because their company took out a big loan before the intrest rates skyrocketed?

How about because the owner got divorced and needed to sell it to pay off his wife?

How about because one of it's larger rivals wants to buy it out and shut it down?

Name any one of a hundred reasons why companies around the world, big and small go bust every day.

Not that EVGA is a big company.

MSI is a big company. EVGA is a fly by night operation offering "lifetime warranties".  Just like dodgy builders do. Beware anyone that offers you a lifetime warranty in life.

Sorry mate but "lifetime warranty" is the oldest one in the book.

• bluealien1bluealien1 Member Posts: 526
    Originally posted by baff

How about because they made a load of graphics cards that broke and they couldn't afford to buy them all back.?
    How about because their company took out a big loan before the intrest rates skyrocketed?
    How about because the owner got divorced and needed to sell it to pay off his wife?
    How about because one of it's larger rivals wants to buy it out and shut it down?
    Name any one of a hundred reasons why companies around the world, big and small go bust every day.

Not that EVGA is a big company.
    MSI is a big company. EVGA is a fly by night operation offering "lifetime warranties".  Just like dodgy builders do. Beware anyone that offers you a lifetime warranty in life.

Sorry mate but "lifetime warranty" is the oldest one in the book.

lol@you if you seriously think evga is some fly by night operation. Their quality without a doubt is better than MSI's, and so is their customer service. People don't just buy them for lifetime warranties.

Tip to readers, don't come to MMORPG looking for hardware advice, because 98% of the people that give you advice don't know shit about what their talking about.

• WarblazeWarblaze Member UncommonPosts: 178

I played wow with a ATI X1900GT in the past, and i always had 60 fps in the wilds and 30 - 50 fps in the more crowded area's such as orgrimmar and altarec. 

A few months ago however, i switched to the nvidia 8800GT and while i'm still getting 60 fps in the wilds,  the crowded area's like orgrimmar and Altarec now give me about 10 or 20 fps.  That's half the amount i get with a 1900GT! 

So there's definitely something wrong with either the client or the card... i hope something will be done about it soon