Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

screen tearing & Pop in issues

GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

I recently bought a new PC and it runs most games just fine, but unfortunatly I endure a lot of screen tearing and pop - in issues.I already turned on Vertical Synch. in the Ati Catalyst center, but unfortunatly this didn't really fix the problem.

Now I'm not expecting anyone to magically be able to fix my problem over the internet, but what could possibly be the issue?

my specs:

Case: X-Gear Nero XN900S (ATX, 400W, Silver)

Memory: 2x 1GB DDR2 PC5300 667MHz CL5 OEM

Hard drive: Hitachi 160GB SATA II 7200RPM 8MB 7K160 (16PLA380)

Processor: Intel Core Duo E2160 (S775, 1.80 GHz, 1MB, 800 MHz FSB, Boxed)

Motherboard: Asus P5LD2-X/1333, 945GC (ATX, PCI-e, Sound, LAN, SATA II)

DVD - RW: Samsung SHS203D/BEBE 20x (Dual-Layer, SATA, Blackt) OEM

Graphic: PEAK ATI Radeon HD3870 512MB DDR4 (512 MB, DDR4, PCI-E, DVI, D-sub, TV-out)

edit:

I have send an email to Ati to see if they know what's going on, and this is the response I got (and yes, it's the entire response)

Ran Alert AR - games

That's it. I have absolutely no idea what that means.

Comments

• sizewellsizewell Member Posts: 16

HI,

Dont know if this will help you. It solved my problems that I was getting of tearing & artifacting in some games and its quite simple. Go to display properties, right click desktop, click on properties, settings, advanced, troubleshoot and if  'Enable Write Combining' is checked, uncheck it and click OK. Then see if it fixes your problem. The description of  write combining is:

Specifies whether "write combining" is turned on or off. Write combining improves video performance by speeding up the display of information to your screen. However, increased speed can cause screen corruption, so if you experience problems with your display, clear the check box.

• megaflux19megaflux19 Member Posts: 99

um, you dont really think this has anything to do with your case right? ..just wondering WHY you would include it in your specs...

monitor got drivers? no really some do.

might want to say what game you get this in also.

hmm, only thing i see looking at your specs is that your ram is probably too slow for your video card (not that it should matter). have you tried dumbing down everything and seeing if it still happens? are you using 2 monitors?

what o/s?

is swap optimised?

is it indexing?

so many variables dont see how i could provide 1 solid answer.

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

update all of your drivers and see if that helps. Play around with your resolutions a little bit.

It could be that crappy power supply you have. If you aren't getting sufficient and clean power to your rig it can cause effects like that.

Not to mention I'm pretty sure you should have at least a 480watt PSU to run that 3870...not to mention the rest of your PC.

[quote]Originally posted by megaflux19
    [b]um, you dont really think this has anything to do with your case right? ..just wondering WHY you would include it in your specs...
    b][/quote]

Well, yes, his case could have a lot to do with it. No such thing as too much information when trouble shooting.

For instance, The case could be notorious for cruddy cooling, which is often a factor in graphical artifacting and that "shimmering screen."

The powersupply listed with the case could be insufficient to run the card, which could also cause those effects due to unstable power.

So, it IS beneficial to post silly things such as your case and power supply.

• redrum666erredrum666er Member Posts: 168

I'm leaning towards PSU as your problem.

Check how many amps are on your 12V rail. (It should say it on your PSU)

ATI reccomends a 550 Watt or greater power supply  for that card but what really matters is how much amps are on your 12V rail.

Originally posted by daelnor

[b]um, you dont really think this has anything to do with your case right? ..just wondering WHY you would include it in your specs...

b][/quote]
    Well, yes, his case could have a lot to do with it. No such thing as too much information when trouble shooting.
    For instance, The case could be notorious for cruddy cooling, which is often a factor in graphical artifacting and that "shimmering screen."
    The powersupply listed with the case could be insufficient to run the card, which could also cause those effects due to unstable power.

psu yes, agreed. but to list the case and not the o/s?? i mean cmon in the realm of useful info the o/s is pretty much king.  i have never seen a case so crappy it actually caused performance issues (now a dead fan on the other hand i could understand).

could be the 9000 cold cathodes glued to every surface of the case, but i doubt it is ever just the case. i got a friend who put mirrors all over the inside of his case (except where the side panel is) and it did not have any bearing on performance...though i think hes a nut.

• OrcaOrca Member UncommonPosts: 629

[b][quote]Originally posted by daelnor

b][/quote]
    [/quote]

psu yes, agreed. but to list the case and not the o/s?? i mean cmon in the realm of useful info the o/s is pretty much king.  i have never seen a case so crappy it actually caused performance issues (now a dead fan on the other hand i could understand).
    could be the 9000 cold cathodes glued to every surface of the case, but i doubt it is ever just the case. i got a friend who put mirrors all over the inside of his case (except where the side panel is) and it did not have any bearing on performance...though i think hes a nut.[/b][/quote]

since he probably not know the brand/specs of the included PSU. So there might be a tech-savy here that could find the info, and tell him, that is where the problem is.

Futilez - Mature MMORPG Community

Correcting people since birth.

Originally posted by Orca

b][/quote]

[/quote]

could be the 9000 cold cathodes glued to every surface of the case, but i doubt it is ever just the case. i got a friend who put mirrors all over the inside of his case (except where the side panel is) and it did not have any bearing on performance...though i think hes a nut.[/b][/quote]
    since he probably not know the brand/specs of the included PSU. So there might be a tech-savy here that could find the info, and tell him, that is where the problem is.

huh? what?

the psu is listed (and a viable cause for the problem) . i dont see any feedback from the OP so im guessing it either blew up or he got the info elsewhere.

[b][quote]Originally posted by Orca

b][/quote]
    [/quote]

[/quote]

huh? what?
    the psu is listed (and a viable cause for the problem) . i dont see any feedback from the OP so im guessing it either blew up or he got the info elsewhere.[/b][/quote]

The PSU spec aint listed. It just tells you it's ATX standard PSU, with 400Watts of power.

No amps, volts or rails are listed. This is essentiel info, if he doesn't want a half-assed answer.

and why the hell doesnt quote work?

Originally posted by Orca

[b][quote]Originally posted by Orca

b][/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

huh? what?

the psu is listed (and a viable cause for the problem) . i dont see any feedback from the OP so im guessing it either blew up or he got the info elsewhere.[/b][/quote]
    The PSU spec aint listed. It just tells you it's ATX standard PSU, with 400Watts of power.
    No amps, volts or rails are listed. This is essentiel info, if he doesn't want a half-assed answer.
    and why the hell doesnt quote work?

quote does work ^

and the fact that its a psu that came included with the case pretty much = ass-o-rama without even checking the specifics (besides it being sub par to power the card).

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077

It could be...

1.  Mode connecting from the monitor to the PC.

2.  Turned on/off any advanced tweaks (like triple buffering).

3.  Having something like a fan or speakers too near the monitor.

4. The videocard is about to die (been playing with overclocking?).

5. Game being played (some old games will tear, as it was never designed for a faster system).

6. Power to the PC is bad (and I had that issue before -- destroyed 2 HDDs alone. The electric company had to fix the outside transformer).

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

Artifacting usually happens as the result of heat on ATI cards.  I am not sure what you mean by tearing and popping.  There are several issues with that setup.

AMD recommends a 450 watt power supply with that card.  Also the e2160 is a Pentium class processor.  These things are over 4 years old.  The problem could potentially be the processor not having enough juice and its bottle-knecking the other peripherals.

much as i love a good mental workout, the OP hasnt responded to anything, so we will most likely never know what the issue was (and it bothers me that is i spell "teh" firefox's spell checker doenst see anything wrong). still, this is a very strong braintrust, and i like it.

Originally posted by megaflux19
    much as i love a good mental workout, the OP hasnt responded to anything, so we will most likely never know what the issue was (and it bothers me that is i spell "teh" firefox's spell checker doenst see anything wrong). still, this is a very strong braintrust, and i like it.

School > Spellcheck?

And to think...I use to get mad at my father when I was a kid. He would never let me use spell check on my school projects, I always had to print them up and manually check them.

The older I get the smarter he is....