Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What I find sad.

ToxiliumToxilium Member UncommonPosts: 905

You know what? I think role-playing in MMOs is dying. It seems now developers are just trying to appeal to the quick hack-and-slash general audience POV. I feel like the general gaming audience is becoming more and more 12-year-old console kids with ADHD; the sad thing is that they are slowly migrating to MMOs and PC gaming in general (which I thought was my last bastion of hope).

Now this really makes me angry. I get more RP and fun out of playing on a Garry's Mod Role-Playing server (Half-Life 2 role-play mod) with a single map (about the size of a city block) and 50 people than I do with 5000 people on a role-playing MMO server. Sure, you get the odd person who wants to RP, but I'm finding more and more people on RP servers with names like "Bartsimpson" who say "wtf, lol" in-character. I mean, come on?!

Age of Conan is fun for it's partially-unique combat and gorgeous graphics, but that's all the gaming audience seems to care about now a days. How to lop someones head off asap and have 1 million  well-textured polygons in the frame while doing it. I felt this when playing AoC (I'm on an RP server) and ES4: Oblivion. ES3: Morrowind was an excellent RPG. Oblivion was awesome too, but it had a dumb-downed thing going for it.

/rantover

I urge anyone out there, please, if you know of or are in one, please, tell me of a strong role-players guild or MMO. Age of Conan just isn't doing it for me.

Comments

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

RP is dieing now that mmo's are being/have been introduced to the average/general gaming crowd. Back when mmo's werent really well known I found rp easy to come by usually, but yea since then its died down alot.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

To be honest, I've never come across a crowd of people who truly roleplay. It's quite sad really.

• talismen351talismen351 Member Posts: 1,124

I really haven't seen too many RP crowds in most games these days. I too tried to get into a RP crowd in AoC but found it pretty much impossible. Last real RP crowd I remember was in early SWG. I think the RP in MMORPG is pretty much gone...fast becoming MMOGs.

• ToxiliumToxilium Member UncommonPosts: 905
    Originally posted by Lydon

To be honest, I've never come across a crowd of people who truly roleplay. It's quite sad really.

http://taconbanana.com/ If you have any interest in Half-Life 2 Role-play. Admins are ruthlessly strict for RPing (although OOC they are friendly).

• rasgrixrasgrix Member Posts: 169

yea i dont see much rp in mmos anymore, they only survive in text-based games nowadays

• crzybrtndrcrzybrtndr Member Posts: 94

I'd have to agree with everyone; Roleplay in MMO's is dying if not already dead.

Once upon a time I remember fantastic storylines thought up by the players and really looked forward to logging into the games to see what was going on that day.  I used to be excited to find out what sort of interesting tidbits I'd get to be part of that had nothing at all to do with what the developers had planned other than the fact that it would take place in the world they created.

Anymore, though, roleplay is nothing more than people cybering each other.  No one wants to work with real storylines that involve antagonists and chances to thwart them.  Noooo, everyone just wants to RP nicey nice and make out...truly sad...and boring after a short time.  The last time I tried to develop an antagonistic character (my favorites to play), I was quite literally shunned by all roleplayers on the server except two people.  Everyone else I knew would send me tells saying what a horrible person I was.  And that was the pathetic end to my attempts at bringing some real roleplay back to MMO's.

So yes, I definitely say roleplay has died in the online gaming world.  The new generation of MMO players are incapable of handling the conflict necessary to make it happen nor can they separate IC from OOC.  Those of us who had the joy of knowing what it used to be will just have to sit back in our rockers and talk about the 'olden days' with each other.

• LilaluLilalu Member Posts: 68

Yes, it´s not possible to RP anymore in MMOs.

I suggest you try Neverwinter Nights 2 role-playing-servers. It´s no MMO, but it´s a great online game. The servers are private (but absolutly legal) projects and the makers of the so called persistant worlds put alot of ideas, effort, money in their projects to make them a beautiful role-playing opportunity for everybody.

It´s not an MMO, but 3D grafics and much better then text based games. The only problem is, there are to few players who know about the persistant worlds. Neverwinter Nights 2 has great role-play, but needs more players!

• Daz99Daz99 Member Posts: 6

I agree

When i used to play WoW, I tryed an RP server out.

Even on RP worlds people still only want be the best

And just completely forget about the roleplay

• rawRzorzrawRzorz Member Posts: 130

RP is not dead in my opinion.

I just took up the offer for SWG 5th anniversary and on my fourth day into the game some guy messages me saying to meet him in the cantine, says he needs to talk to me.  I go, he says that because hes a smuggler he needs a good pilot, and because im Sullustan( and their good pilots in the lore) he asks me to be his gunner. We continue on and he tells me of how he dislikes the imperials because they killed his old jedi friend, and they were on the hunt for him, so now he has his house out in the outskirts of Tatooine to be low key. Then the next day i go back and talk to him and he has a metal arm that he says he lost the other day during a smuggling mission, and how he needs my help to get back at the Black Sun who did it. Its a pretty intriguing story actually that never seems to stop.  Sounds like crap when i tell it, but he got me hooked into RPing and now im doing all the pilot missions to help him. Also he buys me armor to help me out, so it works out well.

A lot of people i see in SWG have Roleplay above their head to indicate their RPing. If you are scared of this game, don't be. Give it a shot like I did, and you will actually end up enjoying yourself.

Plenty of RP around, just need to know where to look,and who to look for.

--------------------
    You led a great life.
    Rest in Peace.
    Laura "Taera" Genender 2008

Mount and Blade. Great Game
    http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/mountandblade/index.html?tag=result;title;0

• BunglermooseBunglermoose Member Posts: 63

I know these games are not 100% conducive to roleplay - no game is, although some at least provide some decent tools. The likelihood of a game being geared specifically toward roleplayers hovers around nil. So the roleplayers have to use the game to whatever extent they can.

But a good roleplayer won't let those limits get to them. RP is what you make it. If you wait for it to find you, you'll be waiting forever. A lot of roleplayers do this. Get out there, start up a dedicated RP guild, roleplay in public channels, create events.

• OntblodOntblod Member UncommonPosts: 195
    Originally posted by D3mis3

Age of Conan is fun for it's partially-unique combat and gorgeous graphics, but that's all the gaming audience seems to care about now a days.

Actually that helps alot to motivate you as your charachter in the game but anyway.....

If you want to RP, just do it,  there is always going to be people who wont do it despite if you put a gun to their head. I have seen guild names in AoC that shouldnt have made it but I just look the other way.  More people playing a game means more players with names you should be embarassed to have.

Yes Morrowind is the best RPG out there.

@Anzie,

role-players don´t take the game to seriously. It´s just a game to them. But´role-playing is a different way to play a game. For me numbers, levels, gear are very boring. I am simply not interested in such things. Role-playing for me means to develop the personality of a character (not his level), e.g. like a writer would. This is great fun to do in my eyes.

MMOs focus on numbers only. I think, thats boring! O.k., there is nothing wrong with playing a game like this, but to some of us, it´s boring.

By the way if my character has a marriage in a game, it´s just fun to play this scene! In real life I am already married and would not want to have anyone else besides my husband :D.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

LOTRO has a very strong RP element...as did SWG

• AmosTraskAmosTrask Member Posts: 30
    Originally posted by miagisan

LOTRO has a very strong RP element...as did SWG

I agree lotro has great roleplay

Nwn had a few rp servers but i havent played that in years.

rp needs a revival.

Originally posted by Anzie
    <Mod edit>

You do realise the genre of games you're playing is mmoRPG. In other words, the core gameplay is supposed to be centered around roleplaying. Of course in most cases these days it isn't, but that doesn't change the fact that that's the tier it falls into.
  • AtaakaAtaaka Member UncommonPosts: 213

RP, afterall, is what you make it. There are so many variations of RP that one could get lost in the lingo or even worse, left out for not understanding.

The best way to get your RP fix is to create an RP Guild. You have control over the flow and implementation of the RPing. Otherwise, you will never stop complaining about how Devs are making MMOGs, when it's the players who need to make it MMORPG.

After reading hundreds of concerns over RP being dead/dying/lost, etc... I decided to focus inward. I found that there are not enough RP Leaders out there in the gaming world. We do not have the time it takes to build and maintain a solid RP Haven (Guild), therefore, we seek and cannot find in anquish.

We need a leader for this revolution. We need someone who isn't entirely nerdy or geeky. Perhaps, a  person who has great organizational skills, but not bossy. A person who is friendly, but not obsequious would be nice. I could go on...

It's hard to RP in any game where the distractions are too great. Afterall, games are nothing more than colorful chat lines...in essence. We RP because we want to communicate, not to reach a certain level.But, the devs have taught us that levels mean power. Who doesn't want the Finger of Death an arms length away?!? Lets be real about it all. Do I need to list the plethora of examples that equal poor gaming, poor diplomacy, and to say the least...distractions??? I'm sure you get the picture.

I read the MMORPG Gamers Guide (Review) and it reads like we have succombed to "1994". I am not flaming the book or it's author, perhaps, I am just irrate that we need to explain customs and courtesies. The best way to teach is by example, or not. I believe that RPing doesn't need a GM (GameMaster) unless of course you are doing PnP. RP'ing needs examples, led by selfless people who always remain focused on the BIG PICTURE...the livelyhood of RP and it's denizens.

You want RP? Let's get a leader, co-leaders, commanders, etc...Build it and they will come, I'm told.

I dare anyone of you to create something, send a hail to the lost and weary, and pull this thing off. One thing is certain...you have nothing to lose. 

• AtaakaAtaaka Member UncommonPosts: 213

The first thing a typical Teen player asks is,  'How old are you?' (for example)

The first thing an Rper asks is, "Excuse me, Sir/Madame. Where might I find a Tavern."

It's not the verbage we are focusing on, it's the attempt to openly find those who are similar to ourselves. We try to flock near those who are like ourselves. Sometimes, it doesn't matter, and we PUG for the sake of finishing.

My theory about the internet and gaming remains constant, developed years ago, after studying the relationship between the web and it's primary users, people have an overwhelming need to communicate. Even more, they want to communicate in a specific way that is certain to cause a reaction in the audience available.

Gaming is nothing without the ability to communicate. Rping is nothing without flexibility. We just need to keep leading the way, no matter what environment we exist.

• BorkotronBorkotron Member Posts: 282

During my MMORPG game playing days (of which, I've taken a long break from), I didn't bother with RP. Like most folks, I was content with graphical hack/slash and hanging out on voice chat with the guild talking to each other in ways that was very casual. Never much liked RPing because, to me, it got in the way of leveling. Leveling was always #1.

However, what has brought me back to RP (and thus brought me back to my old RP PnP days) is the virtual world, Second Life. There are massive areas of user created fantasy and sci-fi "sims" that people use as a backdrop for RP. While there are combat elements, none of them are as robust as a typical MMO. But, what is there, in leiu of hack/slash combat, are vibrant user created worlds.

Let's take fantasy, for example. I frequent a place called Avilion in Second Life. It is 15 total sims consisting a various themes like the lands of the Elves, Merfolk, Fae, etc. Because this is SL, it is 100% user created content and there are user developed combat systems, clothing, equipment, etc. I have the choice of dressing up in a myriad of styles from a dusty bedouin to a ornately dressed noble. I can be an elf or I can be a dragon. I can be a magic user, bard, jester, warrior - whatever role I think of! And, most likely, someone in SL has created the outfit and equipment I need to play whatever role I choose.

Because combat is not at the forefront, people RP here. It is very serious. You can't even enter the area unless you are properly attired. If you come in speaking modern day slang, someone will politely kick you out. There are social events every single day. Besides RPing, there are a variety of other activities like dancing, theater, jousting, combat/magic tournaments, classes (swordfighting, magic, jousting), and even a few quests (but mostly of the locate X item kind).

Simply put, no MMORPG can compare to the level of RP found in SL. I really do believe that the absence of killing pixels affords people the time and inclination to truly RP with each other. I've even met my future real life wife there - and now we RP online together. She's actually a fan of Warhammer (how freaking cool is that? found my nerd wife!) and we're actually going to play Warhammer Online when it is released. While Warhammer might not have the robust user created content SL has to offer, it is a game world that we both enjoy and see it as a game of character development through hack and slash. So, we'll play it as an alternative to the seriousness and non-combat nature of SL RP.

Here's hoping that in the future, we have virtual worlds with user create content and MMO game play mechanics. Hopefully this'll spell the death of crappy developer based "game" MMOs!!!

The basics of roleplaying are very simple and easy to understand and they are the same, no matter what kind of game you play or what else you think about roleplaying:

1) Separate between yourself and the character you are playing! Then give the character a personality which is different of your own and play this ROLE whenever you are in the game.

In fact it´s as simple as this! Maybe you could add:

2) When you create and develop your character, think of the setting you are playing in and don´t destroy it.

3) Also don´t forget to think about your fellow players. You should not destroy their fun by creating an overly egoistic character.

But this very simple things seem to much to ask of most people nowadays. I don´t play MMOs anymore. Rather play Neverwinter Nights 2 on an RP-shard.

• alyndalealyndale Member UncommonPosts: 936

Role playing is development of the overall personality of your character.  It is sharing your story.  Development and implementation of new addition of the lore through your character.

It takes thought and creativity.  It's not all about the medievil speak, but more about how you behave towards others.  It is so much about community.  I find it very important to be a part of something rather than solo-rogue throughout my MMO experience.

I can recall old web site devoted to telling adventuring stories through the game Lineage 2.  Granted these web sites were developed during the first year that L 2 started, 2004.  Unfortunately I do believe there are no longer  any sites like this available with fresh stories.

I think to general public that plays MMO's there is misunderstanding about who RPers are.  To some, mistakenly, RPers are akin to dictators solidly glued to their role rather than who they really are and expecting everyone they meet to be just like them.  That IS NOT role playing.  We are more like the elements of the earth, ever changing and evolving. 

I suppose you might say, that for those that have difficulty expressing themselves through the written word, it may be difficult to enjoy RPing, but I think not actually.  As stated before, it's community.  In stating this, I point to those of us considered sages and interested in furthering this craft, as it were.  Therefore, if someone was frustrated at exactly how to express oneself, I first begin by advising they begin simply.  Choose a character and design their appearance based on what you feel is as close to the ideal player for the game you want to play.  Think about what class you would be most comfortable playing; melee, ranged, ranged/spell, healing/buffing. Each class of character has a personality. Decide what personality would be most appropriate for you to develop through your playing class.  One way to aid in this decision might be to study the games overall lore.  How do you want to be a part of this story?  How best could you add to this lore? Once you have a general idea about who you will represent in the game you are ready to begin.

I suggest finding a player with more experience to apprentice under.  You'd be surprised how many experience RPers would be more than happy to undertake this responsibility! As you adventure and accept quests, read them and take note as to how it may be a part of the overall story.  The creative part is the action or discovery you experience as you wonder through the land.  At first you might want to jot some things down that you witnessed or worked through, (optional).  Remember this takes patience.  We are not in a big hurry to get our characters to the "end-game".  Development is far more interesting than the race and chase to the end. 

Find a forum that can further develop your curiosity and interest for this form of playing an MMO.  Share your experiences, but please remember, at first you may or may not express your story quite like many on this forum.  That is perfectly ok.  You will gain from each story you create.  The more you experience through your fantasy character, the more you tend to develop exactly who your character is and what part they play in the overall lore. Continue and meet as many fellow adventurers as you can. Work with them.  Learn all you can from them, as we ALL have so much to learn from each other, (We are life-long learners).

This grows long, and it is time to hand it over to another.  In closing, it would be wise for you to form a code for interaction with others in-game, whether they be RPers or simply gamers racing towards the best gear and weapons in the game.  Is honor important to you? Honesty?  Character?  Moral fiber? Strength? Mischievousness? Levity? and on and on.  I think you can gather what I'm pointing towards.  Once you have decided what characteristics are most important to you, then it becomes somewhat easier to interact with others in the game.

This was a bit disjointed, and I do apologize to those of you on this thread.  Hopefully, I wrote my words in a way that could explain my point of view and even attempt a brief summary as to how to get a simple start to your RPing experience.

/bows with great respect  

All I want is the truth
    Just gimme some truth
    John Lennon

• blackhand231blackhand231 Member Posts: 69

if you are looking for a good roleplaying game you should look into SWG when i played that game there were always roleplayers in the mos eisely  cantina.  and there are always roleplaying guilds in that game willing to take in new members. im not a roleplayer but ive been thinking of giving it a shot.

• etaonnextbanetaonnextban Member Posts: 10

I realy dont understand why people want to act diferently in a game then they do in RL,like your a complete arse in RL (not accusing anyone) and you play friendly happy elf who loves flowers.

I understand that for some it may be fun,but for me it's pretty pointless,not trying to insult anyone (saying this to avoid the ban stick realy) but roleplaying seems like a playground for kids over 30 ... they live in their own world detached from the outside.

People are not the same and life would be very boring if they were :D.

I love role-playing not because I want to be a different person in real life. I love it, because it gives me the chance to develop different personalities. You could say like a writer, who develops the characters in his novel. He has to think about this person, what he would do in this or that case. I like to think about such things. I am very interested in people and their personality. I also like reading books, which are more about characters than about action.

Only role-playing is much more fun, then writing a book. You do it with others and you never know, what will happen in the next minute or how the others will react. Role-playing really is big fun to me :).

Originally posted by etaonnextban

I realy dont understand why people want to act diferently in a game then they do in RL,like your a complete arse in RL (not accusing anyone) and you play friendly happy elf who loves flowers.
     I understand that for some it may be fun,but for me it's pretty pointless,not trying to insult anyone (saying this to avoid the ban stick realy) but roleplaying seems like a playground for kids over 30 ... they live in their own world detached from the outside.

Well it's called an mmoRPG for a reason you know...