Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Omg I need super duper help...

Gamefreek333Gamefreek333 Member Posts: 166

Should I get a computer worth $1,669 with these specs:

Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E8400 3.00GHz 6MB Cache 1333MHz FSB

Alienware P2 Chassis: Alienware® P2 Chassis with AlienIce™ 3.0 Video Cooling - Space Black

System Lighting: Alienware® Standard System Lighting - Fusion Red

System Cooling: Alienware® Standard System Cooling

Power Supply: Alienware® 750 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply

Graphics Processor: 896MB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 260

Memory: 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 4 x 1024MB

Motherboard: Alienware® Approved NVIDIA® nForce 680i SLI Motherboard

Operating System (Office software not included): Windows Vista® Home Premium with Service Pack 1 – DirectX 10 Ready!

Desktop Tuners and Remotes: Without Media Center Remote Control

System Drive: Single Drive Configuration - 500GB SATA 3Gb/s 7,200RPM 16MB Cache

Optical Drives : Single Drive Configuration - 20X Dual-Layer Burner (DVD±RW)

Enthusiast Essentials: Dual High Performance Gigabit Ethernet Ports

Sound Card: High-Definition 7.1 Performance Audio

Or a computer worth $1,749 with these specs:

Processor: AMD® Athlon™ X2 6400+ 3.2GHz Dual Core 2 x 1MB L2 Cache

Alienware P2 Chassis: Alienware® P2 Chassis with AlienIce™ 3.0 Video Cooling - Space Black

System Lighting: Alienware® Standard System Lighting - Fusion Red

System Cooling: Alienware® Standard System Cooling

Power Supply: Alienware® 750 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply

Graphics Processor: Single Graphics Card - 1GB NVIDIA® GeForce® 9800 GX2 – Dual GPU Technology

Memory: 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 4 x 1024MB

Motherboard: Alienware® Approved AMD® 790FX Motherboard

Includes PCI-Express 2.0, BIOS Overclocking Utility, and Support for AMD Phenom Quad-Core Processors

Operating System (Office software not included): Windows Vista® Home Premium with Service Pack 1 – DirectX 10 Ready!

System Drive: Single Drive Configuration - 500GB SATA 3Gb/s 7,200RPM 16MB Cache

Optical Drives : Single Drive Configuration - 20X Dual-Layer Burner (DVD±RW)

Enthusiast Essentials: Single High Performance Gigabit Ethernet Port

Sound Card: High-Definition 7.1 Performance Audio - Standard

I might get the second one cause it seems to have better specs and it's only $80 more. I can't decide, so please help me, and don't flame me with "Oh this computer sucks, etc." I'm sticking with Alienware. And please don't tell me to upgrade something on it, because I like them how they are, and the price suits me. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• ElapsedElapsed Member UncommonPosts: 2,329

Alienware computers are overpriced and bought by newbies. Other than that I'd lean toward the second, more expensive option. The 9800 GX2 is faster than the GTX 260. The processor in #1 is faster, but the faster video card in #2 will serve you better in most games. So, again, buy #2 for $1,749.

• redrum666erredrum666er Member Posts: 168

bleh...alienware, Build it yourself and save a ton.

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

If you're going to spend that much you might as well get two hard drives with raid 0.  While it won't help with gaming that much(since you aren't accessing the harddrive that much) it'll slightly speed up some other stuff if you ever do use your drives itensively.

I'd lean towards the second one I'd like to know the bus speed on the processor, which isn't mentioned.  even if it is worse for some reason it'll be a faster computer if just a small amount.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077

Build your own. Simple as that. Especially since you really want the Wolfdale proc (uses much less power too), not the C2D. If you overclock, try to find the G0 stepping one (if you can even find them -- FYI, Newegg doesn't guarantee what model you get).

Building your own now is really simple. You can have it all finished with the OS install within 3hrs or less. Assembly of the hardware is what takes the longest -- attaching everything to the motherboard (unless you're hardcore and want to sand and polish the proc and heatsink for ultra overclocking -- and by the looks of it, not something I recommend you doing!).

If you can install a videocard and memory, you can build your computer. No magic to it. Just get the latest BIOS offline for your motherboard; find the best thermal grease you can find (I use Shin Etsu, as I find it cooler than Arctic Silver -- and for AMD users, it's even recommended) -- google how to properly apply it (thinness is important); BEFORE ASSEMBLING ALWAYS TOUCH THE METAL IN THE CASE TO DISCHARGE STATIC -- DO NOT TAKE SHORTCUTS HERE IT'S ESSENTIAL OR KISS YOUR HARDWARE GOODBYE; assemble; boot; get into BIOS (flash BIOS if necessary); check the timings on proc/memory/boot order/correct the time; accept the defaults of others settings at first; save; reboot and get ready for the OS install.

10+ years ago building your own was more of a chore with IRQ conflicts and more (beats also soldering the parts together!). Today, anyone even remotely computer saavy can build their own. Save your money, and do it yourself -- 15 year-olds can do it.

• ElapsedElapsed Member UncommonPosts: 2,329

Stop recommending he builds his own. Not everyone is knowledgeable enough to build their own nor are the comfortable doing. Buying a premade computer is not all that bad. It should be more thoroughly tested than individual components sold online. I build my own computer, but I do not find it fun anymore. I especially hate having to mail back components when they do not work.

If I had a ton of money to waste I would buy a Dell XPS, HP Blackbird, or one of those new Voodoo's coming out. They are nice looking and well built. If it any component breaks you just send the entire thing back and let them deal with taking it apart.

I'm over the overclocking thing now too. I'm not going to mess with extra cooling and stability testing for 5 more frames per second.

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

I wouldn't buy either of those. For those prices you should at least be getting an extreme edition processor or something. Not to mention the 680i motherboard is not even midgrade now...

Shop around some more is my advice.

• TurboGsTurboGs Member Posts: 42

First 1 with 2 changes

Harddrive - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-054-SA&groupid=701&catid=14&subcat=940&name=Samsung SpinPoint F1 750GB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM (HD753LJ)

OS - Vista ultimate (I've heard there are some memory issues with vista home)

dont claim to be an expert just what ive heard

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

I built my current PC 4 years ago, and to be honest, I won't do it again. It was an experience, the thing worked and has lasted me 4 years but I know the build quality isn't as good as it would have been if a pro had done it - cable spaghetti, etc...

I think I'll go to iBuypower or Cyberpower for my next one, that way I can semi custom it and still get it cheaper than Dell, etc...

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077

Originally posted by -Jaguar-

Stop recommending he builds his own. Not everyone is knowledgeable enough to build their own nor are the comfortable doing.

15 year-old girls can build a computer now. I'm a 41 year-old woman who built them in the bad old days, even. It's a tech, not mechanics, anyone with a screwdriver and can read instructions can put one together.

The biggest worry is frying something due to static (which is why if your hands are in the case [or near electronics on a bench], ALWAYS touch the case metal/metal ground FIRST. Discharging is critical). Everything just pops in place, or is wiggled in and held down by screws. It's almost like playing with Legos.

The tweaking comes afterwards, and there's so many tweak guides there's something for anyone. But a stock built will get you from point A to point B -- heck, a stock built is how NOT to mess up installing 10001 programs, either. Overclocking and all is advanced tweaking, and is often the root of 10001 problems you read on hardware forums, too.

He can do it. If granny can, he can. And once he does, he can maintain his own rig from there on.

Honestly, if you don't understand all of the components being put into a system you are buying, I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself. Not that you can't...but it will be a lot less hassle if you let someone else do it.

I can change the brakes on my car, and change my own oil etc...but do I do it myself? No..because it's a pain in the ass and someone else can do it better for a few bucks.

However, I personally will always build my own rigs.

When buying a new pc, the first rule is to run away from places like Alienware, Voodoo, blackbird etc.

They charge you more for the name than the components. The only thing some of them have going is some nice watercooling systems.

Once again..if you don't understand the components going into it..you really don't need water cooling either.

When buying these systems, beware of what is put into it. The first place they usually rip you off is with the motherboard. The second is usually the power supply.

For instance, that alienware you listed should have AT LEAST a 780i motherboard. The 680i motherboard is a couple years old now, and is inexusable for a "high end" computer.

Beware of overly large harddrives and the insanely expensive top of the line video card that nobody but people with money to waste buys..

That is where they catch you. They put the two shiny bling bling components in, hoping to dazzle you so you don't see the crap they are shoving off onto you with the rest of the system.

The fact of the matter is, most times the only difference between the $200 video card and the $600 card is higher power consumption, maybe 10 fps and a lot bigger cost.

For the AMD systems, they are pushing several year old processors on you, though the motherboard was a bit more modern than the Intel system they tried pushing.

Keep these things in mind. It really pays off to learn a little about components. Read some reviews on motherboards, video cards, ram, etc before you buy a high end system. Make sure you get what you are paying for.

On the other hand, if you are insanely rich and don't care, then meh.

Originally posted by -Jaguar-

Stop recommending he builds his own. Not everyone is knowledgeable enough to build their own nor are the comfortable doing. Buying a premade computer is not all that bad. It should be more thoroughly tested than individual components sold online. I build my own computer, but I do not find it fun anymore. I especially hate having to mail back components when they do not work.
    If I had a ton of money to waste I would buy a Dell XPS, HP Blackbird, or one of those new Voodoo's coming out. They are nice looking and well built. If it any component breaks you just send the entire thing back and let them deal with taking it apart.
    I'm over the overclocking thing now too. I'm not going to mess with extra cooling and stability testing for 5 more frames per second.

well then he can buy all the parts and pay someone to build it and still save a ton.

The thing you don't get with that is a warranty. If someone isn't confident in building one, or doesn't want to mess with it, having that warranty from Dell or someone can be pretty nice.

I don't need those service warranty's, but I build all my own stuff and use to do it proffessionally.

In fact, I think I'm going to pick up a part time gig fixing pc's again soon...stupid work cut all my over time...I need the money.

well he would still have a warranty on each part he purchases from the retailer or company that made it...but I get what you're saying.

I for one would never buy a pre-built gameing PC and pay an arm and a leg for a 5 year warranty.

I remember my first PC build and it was horrible but once you learn you never forget.

Originally posted by redrum666er
    well he would still have a warranty on each part he purchases from the retailer or company that made it...but I get what you're saying.
    I for one would never buy a pre-built gameing PC and pay an arm and a leg for a 5 year warranty.
    I remember my first PC build and it was horrible but once you learn you never forget.

The point is not the individual parts warranties, but waking up one morning and going "wtf??!! Why won't my computer work...what is this blue screen thing...what does NTLDR missing mean? What do you mean insert system restore disk?"

those kinds of things you can pick up a phone and be talked through, or at least take the pc to a local shop and not pay out the rear to get it fixed since you're under warranty. That is the kind of support I'm talking about...not RMA's.

I don't need that kind of support, and you don't, but lots of others do.

• megaflux19megaflux19 Member Posts: 99

alot of people dont realise alienware isnt what it used to be. fortunately there is a modern day equivelant :

http://www.falcon-nw.com/

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167