Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars still the best

ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Well I have been playing the game for about 3 years now and I simply enjoy the game alot. I own all 3 campaigns and the expansion. Though at times you hit the wall after playing the game for a long time and as a gamer you will go try other games to play. I tried mmos suchs as AOC, Tabula Rasa, tried going back to FFXI, and LOTRO. They were ok games but they certainly don't compare to what Guild Wars is and the team behind Guild Wars success.

Guild Wars brings alot of good things to gaming such as it is casual and for hardcore at the same time. The storylines of each campaign are amongst the best written I have seen. The artwork is simply great, nobody is better than Daniel Dociu. Customizable heroes are pretty cool, if you don't like Jora, Koss, Vekk, Ogden joining you on your adventures then something is wrong. The pvp is simply the best on the market. ArenaNet has sent so many people all over the world to participate in events. 

Yeah I might be a fan but I'm not blind to see there are flaws. I don't mind instancing but after awhile you just crave for that open world freedom. Loot scaling, anyone in Guild Wars knows how the majority feel about this. Titles, I know this is optonal but they need something better. It's not gameplay, more like mindless grind. Class balancing needs work but I have yet to see anyone perfect this in any game.

So while people fall into the hype trap (even myself at times) and claim to revolutionary or claim to tbe the next best thing. They all pretty much fail in the eyes of the masses while Guild Wars still continues to be one of the best games people can count on for a good solid gaming experience. Have no worries though, Guild Wars 2 is in the making and will have improved features such as persistence, World and Structured PVP, a higher level cap and much more we have not heard of yet. The future looks even brighter for the Guild Wars franchise and their fans. 

Comments

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

I liked GW a lot, but got burned out because of the pve aspect.  After a while it gets redundant, you know exactly what to expect, Mob A will ALWAYS be a location X, mob B at location Z, etc...  I'm not a big PVP fan but i must say GW is one of the best in that category.

• CavadusCavadus Member UncommonPosts: 707

I think Guild Wars has the worst PvP I've ever seen.  The combat mechanics and balance are very nice but the organizational apparatus is quite poor IMO.  I mean, this is technically an MMO and my PvP is on a smaller scale then even the smallest of Counter Strike servers.

That ain't right.

I do like the game though.

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

Just imagine the persistant world coming in GW2.

• endlesoneendlesone Member Posts: 109

imho GW is still the best mmorpg/corpg out there

my mmo's that any online player should play

1. Guild Wars

2. WoW

3. Eve online

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Originally posted by lkavadas
    I think Guild Wars has the worst PvP I've ever seen.  The combat mechanics and balance are very nice but the organizational apparatus is quite poor IMO.  I mean, this is technically an MMO and my PvP is on a smaller scale then even the smallest of Counter Strike servers.
    That ain't right.

If arenas would allow teams to be bigger than 8 then it would truly wreak havoc on the gameplay. In HA for example pressure builds would in almost all cases be outdone by spikes, since these can easily either outdamage infuse or take many small packets of damage to go under spirit bond while shutting down infuser. Pressure teams would on the other hand be forced to put out massive damage in order to get through the wall of passive defense that spike teams could maintain.

Having more teams than 2v2 or 3v3 is also extremely confusing and annoying and does by no means bring anything new or interesting to the table. You'll see everyone in the different team dropping like flies because the pressure from three other teams is huge. Should they want to allow for bigger fights than it currently is then they would have to make a major revamp of the whole skill system.

To get more on-topic. I've now for some time played the game quite actively on my Paragon and as you progress through the campaign the missions become more challenging and fun. I'm playing a lot of PvE at the moment, but if given the chance I will always be up for HA. Both PvP and PvE are in GW extremely well done and, even if it could be much better (so many skills that are totally worthless), is quite well balanced. Overall the game is fun and while it sometimes has its flaws the good parts will always compensate for them.

• Lonesamurai1Lonesamurai1 Member Posts: 1,210
    Originally posted by lkavadas

That ain't right.

As well as what was mentioned above, remember, this isn't a traditional MMO, this was built originally with Team Based PvP for the competitive market from the guys that bought us Starcraft and Warcraft 3...

Guild Wars has more of an RTS pedigree than MMO

imageimage

• xxreaper008xxreaper008 Member Posts: 181

Guildwars isnt a mindless game. You need skills and brains in order to execute a good combo of skills in order to win.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

I love Guild Wars. It is indeed sad that PvP battles aren't of a very large scale, but sadly anything larger would be potentially game-breaking. It could eventually get impossible to kill organised opposing teams. People would just be standing there fighting and getting healed and not progress much at all.

I am looking very forward to see how the dev team has addressed this issue and how PvP will play in Guild Wars 2.

• redOrcredOrc Member Posts: 100

Fighting with higher numbers cannot work in competitive situations.

You get spikes that can kill anyone 10 times, and no healer can stop them.

Therefore the fight will turn into a spike-fest. So the fight will not have any interest and people will leave it.

You cannot put something like that in GW, where the guilds are highly organized and will exploit it immidiately.

You have to realize that GW PVP people are highly specialized and realy know the game mechanics and will not behave like your avarage raiders.

• deathpulse9deathpulse9 Member Posts: 11

GW is still running high on me. i bought the disk for prophecy, and if u wanna find me there, search for Cedar Diamondsword on there. happy gaming ppl!

• deathpulse9deathpulse9 Member Posts: 11

oh yea, forgot something. if u wanna find me, jus look at the post on top for my user. i need to find the Co-Op mission for the crystal desert. mind if u party with me? thx oh yea, i also have the expansion pack that gives me special weps on holidays ( which really sux cuz they rok, but they take up so much space! u cant sell em too ) hmm oh yea, i also have EoTN expansion. ITS TOTALLY AWESOME!

• zollenzollen Member Posts: 351

Each individual skills become less important if large scale battle was introduced. Imagine 20 players all shooting arrows at you, no amount of skills can save you. A-Net must find a balance between personal skills and team coorporation.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

At that rate people could sync-cast monk spells too. Also, can you imagine trying tp spike with all those monks focusing on the spike target? Total chaos.

• theOdrotheOdro Member Posts: 6

Hey, maybe they'll actually find uses for skills like Mark of Protection that are absolutely useless at the moment.

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Originally posted by Lydon
    At that rate people could sync-cast monk spells too. Also, can you imagine trying tp spike with all those monks focusing on the spike target? Total chaos.

Not too mention your job as a Monk: you would have to do your best to try to keep watch of the whole area and who all different players are attacking, how they are positioned, to which other target they could switch, if a spike is incoming and what skills to use for every player and situation, as well as trying to manage your energy and not heal/pre-prot a target who already got a heal/pre-prot by another monk. Guild Wars would in that state become a big chaos; and a monks hell.

• rasgrixrasgrix Member Posts: 169

it is still a good game and the expansions are focused on different things, prophecy is focused on storyline and a slower learning curve bringing new players to the game, factions is focused on pvp, night fall, im not sure, so overall its still an enjoyable game

• phantom195phantom195 Member Posts: 37

Totally agree with the OP : GW is really a great game.

I started Prophecies in 2005 and i'm still hooked to GW's 3 campaigns and EotN.

Definitely one of the best MMOG around despite (or because ?) the fact  that it's not a 'pure' mmorpg.

Lots and lots of fun on the PVE side and even a few pvp fights from time to time. I generally tend to stay away from pvp in most games but GW has managed to make me enjoy pvp a bit. Thumbs up ! :)

Like most GW players i can't wait for GW2.

• bobericboberic Member Posts: 97

from my personal experience with guild wars i would say it is the best MMO ive played. EVE online comes in an extremely close second. Guild wars presents visualy appealing enviornments 4 storylines to play through(ive only completed 2 in 2 years but mostly because im doing other things) intellectual PvP, and a persistent world. The idea of instancing is an amazing and innovative idea. i remember playing a game like "Knight Online" and "World of Warcraft" and having to deal with a continuous world. a continuous world is nice and shows the extent of the technology of a company but it limits graphic capability and other things. it also creates the issue of spawn camping. While playing "Knight Online" i became increasingly frustrated by the spawn camping. massive groups of high level characters with unbelievable skill and power standing in areas "nuking" the area killing every living thing(enemies). making it impossible for me to get items for quests or other valuable items. Guild Wars just presents so much to the gaming world. the idea of heroes is an innovative idea. though it has a downside. it almost completely destroyed the cooperative play in guild wars. players no long do missions or farm together. they just "Hench and Hero it". but the heroes really add to the story and are often times key players in the story line(s).  Its graphics are quite simply impressive, especially in eye of the north. Game Play is exciting and non-repetitive.

To the guy who said "group A will be at point Y and group B will always be at point Z" this isnt always true. the ai move randomly, especially bosses. they move to predetermined spots sure you can almost know where to find them but it makes it alittle more difficult. you travel to point Y expecting the boss to be there but hes at point Z this time.

really i wouldnt play any other game. Guild Wars IMO is  better than WoW. Im not going to start on WoW because ill get really deep into it and will never come back.(no offense to WoW players)

////////////
    function()
    {
    runescape != goodgame;
    }

• jlichtmanjlichtman Member Posts: 19

After a long 3 years of playing this game, what I can take out of this is that the PvE will get boring for 90% of active players.  As a 3 year veteran the only thing keeping me playing this game is the PvP. 

This game is meant for Casual players AND Hardcore gamers.  That is what is so fantastic about this game, no matter what type of game you like to play, guild wars offers it.

• bobericboberic Member Posts: 97
    Originally posted by boberic

The idea of instancing is an amazing and innovative idea. i remember playing a game like "Knight Online" and "World of Warcraft" and having to deal with a continuous world. a continuous world is nice and shows the extent of the technology of a company but it limits graphic capability and other things. it also creates the issue of spawn camping.

i take that back...age of conan is amazing!!! and continuous...spot on!

////////////
    function()
    {
    runescape != goodgame;
    }

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819

The PvE in Guild Wars is very Boring.

It is only a super large Quest Grind. I hate grinding Quest, both in this game, WoW, and other games.

This game also has no unique End Game contents. Everything from 1-20 is the same. At least in WoW, the PvE becomes more epic with larger PvE raid fights.

The PvP on the other hand is decent, but not great. I hate Arena. And Guild War's PvP in nothing but different types of Arena e-sports.

The World in Guild Wars in Instanced.

And the game has no economy. The game being no immersion.

Everything is played for you. Click to Move, Auto Move, Auto Face, feels like Warhammer or something.

The Characters feel like robots, and have poor Movement Animations and Swing Animations.

The character models look poor as well for certain classes.

And the game only allow the user to have access to 8 spells. I find this unfun. Many Spells go unused because of this mechanic, and some spells only function when certain effects are up, which again limits the gameplay.

• sassoonsssassoonss Member UncommonPosts: 1,132

for a no monthly fee its a damn awesome game

• babacbabac Member UncommonPosts: 179

GW is an awsome PVP game, looking forward to gw2. 

• BoreilBoreil Member UncommonPosts: 448

GW is the best singleplayer mmo  so far, i will give it that .

• babacbabac Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Originally posted by Lydon

I love Guild Wars. It is indeed sad that PvP battles aren't of a very large scale, but sadly anything larger would be potentially game-breaking. It could eventually get impossible to kill organised opposing teams. People would just be standing there fighting and getting healed and not progress much at all.

QFT, just look at War's Zerg fest