Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do multiboxers ruin game balance and PVP?

WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Hey,

I've seen this in Lineage, EQ and Vanguard.

People playing on more than one account simultaneously.

They are far more powerful than any single player and influence both PVE and PVP.

Do you feel they ruin the game balance? Since game balance is dependent and is adjusted from players experience, when part of the player base multiboxers it will skew the outcome of balance.

Are they also not having an unfair advantage in PVP, since they have buff boxes with them?

Should MMO do something to stop this?

Comments

• demalusdemalus Member Posts: 401

Simply put, no, no, and no.

They are no different than a group of people, except they are worse.

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077

If folks aren't playing 2 or more alts at a same time, it's not a MMO. Almost everyone does it. In F2P games it's almost even required. Even got 5 of my alts together to form a guild itself (took every byte of memory to pull that feat off, but got them to the guild hall to do it!). A guild of one and 5 alts! lololol

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by UNATCOII

If folks aren't playing 2 or more alts at a same time, it's not a MMO.

huh?

• gathgath Member Posts: 424

If folks aren't playing 2 or more alts at a same time, it's not a MMO. Almost everyone does it.
    [...]

Hmm... lol... Talk about misinformation.

And multibox might ruin a game, it depends on what features the game has on grouping, that helps multi, or not. Also depends on other factors on the game. In basic terms, i disaprove multiboxing, but some games, in where it doenst interfere mutch with the gameplay of others, i dont mind.

Senhores da Guerra

• MackerniMackerni Member Posts: 230

If folks aren't playing 2 or more alts at a same time, it's not a MMO. Almost everyone does it. In F2P games it's almost even required. Even got 5 of my alts together to form a guild itself (took every byte of memory to pull that feat off, but got them to the guild hall to do it!). A guild of one and 5 alts! lololol

Bullshit.

I've played plenty of MMOs and 95% of the time I never had an alt.

Originally posted by Mackerni

Bullshit.

That's the biggest load of BS dumped, tonight, especially the "I never had an alt".

You know darn right alts and playing them at the same time is as common as Big Macs in MMOs. Just because SOE requires buying a second account to do it, doesn't mean other games won't allow it or it isn't done. F2P, especially if it has severe space and weight restrictions, it's even required -- and those aren't "multiboxes", they launch within the same rig, and can even be played as such.

When I played VC, I played 3 at a time -- fisherman, field helper (to carry plants to the warehouse while in the field) and my main. Botters would have 10 ships at sea doing runs itself. Other players would be botting mats and selling while they go after the TRex.

That's how it is.

• M1sf1tM1sf1t Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

I've two boxed in WoW, EQ2, EvE ( mission only ! ) and few other games. PvP and two boxing just don't go together. Sure you can plan for the common attacks and tactics used by some players but going up against someone who thinks outside the box is going to get you and that alt killed ASAP. Even in PvE if something goes wrong you are screwed as a multi-boxer unless you are really, really, really good at multi-tasking, have twitch skills and quick thinking abilities under pressure. Frankly multi-boxing is only really fun when you are in a grindy type game like Lineage 2 or something where you are doing the same task over and over and over and over again.

Games I've played/tried out:WAR, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, AoC, EQ1, EQ2, WoW, Vangaurd, FFXI, D&DO, Lineage 2, Saga Of Ryzom, EvE Online, DAoC, Guild Wars,Star Wars Galaxies, Hell Gate London, Auto Assault, Grando Espada ( AKA SoTNW ), Archlord, CoV/H, Star Trek Online, APB, Champions Online, FFXIV, Rift Online, GW2.

Game(s) I Am Currently Playing:

GW2 (+LoL and BF3)

• MarLMarL Member UncommonPosts: 606

If multiboxers ruin your game....well then you have failed at making a good game...

if your so anti social that you pay extra to play with yourself , go for it....

Own, Mine, Defend, Attack, 24/7

• HrothmundHrothmund Member Posts: 1,061

Bullshit.

That's the biggest load of BS dumped, tonight, especially the "I never had an alt".

You know darn right alts and playing them at the same time is as common as Big Macs in MMOs. Just because SOE requires buying a second account to do it, doesn't mean other games won't allow it or it isn't done. F2P, especially if it has severe space and weight restrictions, it's even required -- and those aren't "multiboxes", they launch within the same rig, and can even be played as such.

You are wrong. WoW holds around 65% of the playerbase and also requires seperate accounts for multiboxing. This means multiboxers are few and far between in the gmae. When you consider that SOE , as well as nearly all of the new pay-to-play MMOs, also require seperate accounts for multiboxing, this means multiboxing simply is not as common as buying Big Macs, if the whole player base is taken into account. I would say that in WoW one out of fifteen active players has multiple active accounts and one out of a thousand actively multiboxes.

Back to the point. Mutliboxing can have its benefits in world PvP, consider five rogues with excellent gear all doing the highest damage opener from stealth at precisely the same time. This is bad news for any single player. Also with macros multiboxers can become very effective indeed.

My opinion is that multiboxing with multiple accounts in games where multiboxing requires a seperate account is not something I look highly upon. Simply put, this is not how the game is supposed to be played. However, as long it is permitted by the developers, it is not something I will worry about or protest against.

• gathgath Member Posts: 424
    [...]

That's the biggest load of BS dumped, tonight.

But, you will obviously start saying the others are wrong, no matter how many will be against you, it is you that is right, all the way, always. The others dont know nothing, you are the one gifted with knowledge.

Yet, you are the one stupid enough to pay so a computer can play for you...

But, like i said, you will always consider yourself right, and we will always consider you a .

Senhores da Guerra

Originally posted by gath

[...]

That's the biggest load of BS dumped, tonight.

But, you will obviously start saying the others are wrong, no matter how many will be against you, it is you that is right, all the way, always. The others dont know nothing, you are the one gifted with knowledge.

Yet, you are the one stupid enough to pay so a computer can play for you...

But, like i said, you will always consider yourself right, and we will always consider you a .

Come in hot and heavy, dump, and act like your games are the only MMOs of the universe? Then get upset when I answer you point blank?

And how do you not know that folks don't use their alts -- every MMO I've played has either users playing alts exclusively or talked about, even in game (including EQII). Do you think all those level 80 EQII AFKers in the cities just login to waste time? No, one is bumming in the city while their main or alt is doing something else.

Using a main and an alt for PvP, in a game that makes you just stand there wouldn't be difficult -- which is why it could be found in EQII (they just stand there mainly and fight -- only moving to pull mobs or flee if necessary). Playing 2 characters that requires true combat skills, ah, no, not happening (why you don't see it done in FPS games).

That PvP can be played by a main and his/her alt, is truly lame. PvE with 1001 tasks to do and some bottable, no, it's part and parcel of that gameplay.

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

I've rarely have used alts.  and when I did they weren't related to my other character in anyway, except for a few friends.   Also there is one exception and that would be second life for product debug, testing something you've made yourself goes soo much faster than walking someone through it(and frustrating the hell out of them as you spam small changes every 15 mins).

I'm avidly against alts in any normal MMO.  Players shouldn't be presured to use them at all and sure as hell not be inconvenced by them in PvP games.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• RedwoodSapRedwoodSap Member Posts: 1,235

I have been playing MMOGs for 10 years and have never multiboxed for the simple reason that it removes challenge and I enjoy challenge.

Multiboxers are lamers who multibox for the sole purpose of artificially making themselves more powerful and making the game easier than the game designers intended. In a class based system you are either supposed to rely on your individual skills and abilities or group with others to reap the benefits of multiple classes, but the trade off is that you have to share the loot, share the experience, and deal with other real life personalities.  A skill based system is similar, since quality skill based systems have an opportunity cost where grouping again would offer more variety and depth of skills and of course the power of numbers. Multiboxers want all the benefits of grouping without the trade offs, so they circumvent game design by having multiple accounts running at the same time.

I won't have anything to do with multiboxers and ostracize them at every opportunity.

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

I disagree, there is no difference between a multiboxer and a group. If anything, a boxer has less advantages than a group.

Boxing is legal in every game I have played from EQ, EQ2, WoW, AC, DAOC, EvE, etc. There are folks who dont like it, most of them havent tried it and dont see the difficulties or the challenges that boxers face.

Doing well as a boxer takes more skill to do well than 1 toon... I know when I go from running 5 or 6 to playing 1 its almost a sigh of relief heh.

To each his own, but at the current time its perfectly legal.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

"I won't have anything to do with multiboxers and ostracize them at every opportunity."

That made me laugh out loud. Maybe we can get all their toons to wear giant scarlet A's on their chests.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

Originally posted by Hrothmund
    Originally posted by UNATCOII If folks aren't playing 2 or more alts at a same time, it's not a MMO. Almost everyone does it. In F2P games it's almost even required. Even got 5 of my alts together to form a guild itself (took every byte of memory to pull that feat off, but got them to the guild hall to do it!). A guild of one and 5 alts! lololol

Bullshit.

You are wrong. WoW holds around 65% of the playerbase and also requires seperate accounts for multiboxing. This means multiboxers are few and far between in the gmae. When you consider that SOE , as well as nearly all of the new pay-to-play MMOs, also require seperate accounts for multiboxing, this means multiboxing simply is not as common as buying Big Macs, if the whole player base is taken into account. I would say that in WoW one out of fifteen active players has multiple active accounts and one out of a thousand actively multiboxes.
    Back to the point. Mutliboxing can have its benefits in world PvP, consider five rogues with excellent gear all doing the highest damage opener from stealth at precisely the same time. This is bad news for any single player. Also with macros multiboxers can become very effective indeed.
    My opinion is that multiboxing with multiple accounts in games where multiboxing requires a seperate account is not something I look highly upon. Simply put, this is not how the game is supposed to be played. However, as long it is permitted by the developers, it is not something I will worry about or protest against.

A rogue in WoW would be the worst class to box. First of all you would have to get each one into position and pray the player doesn't move or is afk. Anyone who has multi-boxed knows that it is far easier and efficient to use range dps/healing characters and maybe only have 1 melee character ( tank ) then it is to have 5 melee characters that use positional attacks. Obviously you have not done any multi-boxing.

Games I've played/tried out:WAR, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, AoC, EQ1, EQ2, WoW, Vangaurd, FFXI, D&DO, Lineage 2, Saga Of Ryzom, EvE Online, DAoC, Guild Wars,Star Wars Galaxies, Hell Gate London, Auto Assault, Grando Espada ( AKA SoTNW ), Archlord, CoV/H, Star Trek Online, APB, Champions Online, FFXIV, Rift Online, GW2.

GW2 (+LoL and BF3)

Originally posted by Pyrostasis
    I disagree, there is no difference between a multiboxer and a group. If anything, a boxer has less advantages than a group.
    Boxing is legal in every game I have played from EQ, EQ2, WoW, AC, DAOC, EvE, etc. There are folks who dont like it, most of them havent tried it and dont see the difficulties or the challenges that boxers face.
    Doing well as a boxer takes more skill to do well than 1 toon... I know when I go from running 5 or 6 to playing 1 its almost a sigh of relief heh.
    To each his own, but at the current time its perfectly legal.

The most I could ever box was 3 characters and that by in large made the game not fun at all. In fact I rather just play with one character nowadays but if I can't find a group I'll box if need be. Game like EQ2, WoW, EVE, etc... are much more fun to me and a whole lot easier to deal with when I only have deal with one character.

People who say that mulit-boxing requires no skill have obviously never tried it at all. Multi-boxing requires a ton of concentration, multi-tasking and quick thinking to be down correctly. At it's easiest it's just totally engaging but when things heat up you better be ready to react quickly on all you characters be it 2 or 6 or you'll die quickly.

GW2 (+LoL and BF3)