Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars: Guild Wars 2 FAQ

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Arenanet has released a new FAQ page relating to their upcoming MMORPG, a follow-up to their successful Guild Wars franchise; Guild Wars 2.

Will there be a subscription fee for Guild Wars 2?

Nope. Like the original Guild Wars, there will be no subscription fee for Guild Wars 2. You just buy the game and play it online without paying a monthly fee.

Will Guild Wars 2 be an MMO?

Yes. Guild Wars 2 provides a massive, online persistent world.

How is Guild Wars 2 different from other MMOs?

While Guild Wars 2 adds a persistent world, it retains the unique nature of the original game including a strong narrative, extensive instanced gameplay, an anti-grind design philosophy, and strong support for competitive play.

Read it all here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• openedge1openedge1 Member Posts: 2,582

Recently went back for some GW loving as I wait for AoC to get their act together.

This game is still fun. Not all the trappings of an MMO, but definitely what a casual player needs.

This game will be quite fun in my opinion, and again the no fee monthly model is a winner.

• BlockheadBrnBlockheadBrn Member Posts: 40
    Originally posted by openedge1

Recently went back for some GW loving as I wait for AoC to get their act together.
    This game is still fun. Not all the trappings of an MMO, but definitely what a casual player needs.
    This game will be quite fun in my opinion, and again the no fee monthly model is a winner.

I completely agree.  :)

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

Can't wait for GW2!

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

I was hoping it wouldn't be too heavily instanced but if it is up to the qulaity of the rest of the franchise it will be fun regardless.

• DraccanDraccan Member Posts: 1,050
    Originally posted by Gorilla

I was hoping it wouldn't be too heavily instanced but if it is up to the qulaity of the rest of the franchise it will be fun regardless.

I was a bit surprised reading that.. sounds like they are already going back on what they said about this one being less instanced.

A big big shame!

I also noticed that everyone is the same level with the same gear in pvp. Also a random mention of it being one zone. That is dissappointing too.

I had hoped for a more open world, less instanced and more pvp minded.. A shame..because company could really pull it off.

I don't think we all need to rub ash over our bodies and cover ourselves in sackloth just yet

From what I understand, they will be using instances in order to progress the storyline. For example, the core of the game will be persistent, but missions will be instances (with cutscenes etc. as they are now). I don't think they would be able to create missions that are as fun as the current missions if they don't keep them instanced.

Personally, I think that is a very good idea and I am glad they aren't straying from the tried and tested formula in that regard. It's like combining the best of both worlds.

• openedge1openedge1 Member Posts: 2,582
    Originally posted by Lydon

I don't think we all need to rub ash over our bodies and cover ourselves in sackloth just yet

From what I understand, they will be using instances in order to progress the storyline. For example, the core of the game will be persistent, but missions will be instances (with cutscenes etc. as they are now). I don't think they would be able to create missions that are as fun as the current missions if they don't keep them instanced.

Personally, I think that is a very good idea and I am glad they aren't straying from the tried and tested formula in that regard. It's like combining the best of both worlds.

I agree....we can have persistence and a story, and I would be happy.

That happened to be the best part of AoC. The rest of it was empty, but that up to level 20 game (wow...like GW) was great

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

In my oppinion , three things have been preventing GW of being real great casual MMO.

One was horrible community , the problem that was hightened by the lack of proper world chat and lack of common world zone where players play together.

Will GW2 solve those problems ? Remains to be seen.

In any case it looks like they are trying to push the envelope of what true and only non sub MMO can bring

Originally posted by Lobotomist

In my oppinion , three things have been preventing GW of being real great casual MMO.
    One was horrible community , the problem that was hightened by the lack of proper world chat and lack of common world zone where players play together.
    Will GW2 solve those problems ? Remains to be seen.
    In any case it looks like they are trying to push the envelope of what true and only non sub MMO can bring

I think it will solve the community problems to be honest. Instead of having one huge game server, splitting players into realms helps encourage players to get to know each other without totally cutting them off from each other (in other words players from different realms can still meet in The Mists).

• sassoonsssassoonss Member UncommonPosts: 1,132

Yup GW2  definetely has some things going for it

1) Combination of persistent and instanced missions

2) World divided  into realms and realms collide for RVR

3) Casual and Hardcore PVP

4) Introduction of side kick system

5) Reducing the number of spells

6) higher or no level cap .With more higher level not contributing much to the skills or  attributes

7) Marriages ( there was atalk about it )

8) Realms based mission like server wide announcement of Dragon attack .allowing 50 to 100 users to simaltaneous play that quest

9 ) Crafting system ( This is what I hope should be there )

10 allowed to take 1 npc with you.

11) Game will be soloable ( Not that excited I like to group )

12) No monthly fee ( I know thare will be campaigns every 6 months and we do shellout money for that ) but all the same its a good feeling.

13) I have GW1 so looking forward to Hall of monuments transferring stuff to GW2

14) GW1 player names are reserved for GW2 characters Yeah

15) Removal of point and click system to move

16) introduction of Z axis allowing to jump swim climb slide etc

17) Trade houses ( severerly lacks in GW 1 Hope it makes it in GW2)

18) I bought a new rig for AOC so I am confident that GW2 wil rum smoothly they dont have that much sys requirements

19) ANTI GRIND -