Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

holland/amsterdam

wyvexwyvex Member UncommonPosts: 346

does anyone on this forum live in Amsterdam? it seems like the nicest place to live in the world imo and i have a dutch passport so i can legally move there without having to go through lots of shit to get a visa. i thought i might wanna move there when im done with college or something like that. and for my job im aiming for something to do with art. im going to an art school. how is it living in Amsterdam? is it way expensive and hard to live there? just wanna know for future reference. im not hoping to live in Amsterdam just because they have legal MJ. (although that is a plus for me) i really wanted to live there in the first place because the city and the architecture for their buildings is just too nice. i just wanna know for future reference. thanks

Comments

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

I live close.

The building and streets are much smaller in Amsterdam. I actually prefer it that way, but not everyone does.

If you can appreciate the smaller things in life and take the time to look at the buildings they are lovely. The little bridges that cross over the water, the little balkonies that are detailed.

Remember that Amsterdam is quite a big city, and not every building is from the nineteen hundreds.

The internet is great too in Amsterdam, parts of Amsterdam has fibreglass atm, so that's cool.

I live in france atm.

I do like holland but the people are quite tall there on average, it sounds silly to mention, but it is important for you to feel good there if this matter to you.

It's not more expensive than another city, it just depends where you go, Amsterdam has suburbs too, and has very expensive places too. It just depends where you choose to live.

If you want a single house with no neighbours and with a yard, you will pay a lot of money in Amsterdam, I would suggest to live a bit farther of the main city then and go to Amsterdam by train.

balkon: The little things that stick out of the window, sorry I don't know the name for them in English, they are lovely: http://www.directwonen.nl/koop/ajax/Housing/getFotoAvailable.ashx?Foto=4500887.JPG

• SigneSigne Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,524

I love Amsterdam, although I've never lived there.  It is expensive and taxes are pretty high.  There is also a value added tax of 19%, I think.  I know quite a few people who live in Amsterdam and not one of them owns a home.  Nearly everyone seems to rent.  Property is at a premium in the city.  Keep in mind, however, that it's much less expensive to live outside of Amsterdam.  The lifestyle is lovely, though.  There's always something going on - art shows, cultural events, concerts, etc, and wonderful museums.  Don't forget the smoking cafes, too, if you're into that sort of thing. 

Waterlily and I posted at nearly the same time and I think we said about the same, too.