Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Never thought I would say this

xephonicsxephonics Member UncommonPosts: 672

Well after all the bad posts I have made about WoW over the years, it is now time for me to take them back.

I played WoW about 2-3 yrs ago to ~lvl 14 and quit it due to the hand holding quest system.

That was right after I got done with anarchy Online and right before I went to Lineage 2.  I was 5+ yrs into my mmo "career", and I was not into the "easy button" mmo style WoW has pioneered.

Now, after being burnt out by games like Perfect World and Rohan (and about 30-40 other p2p and f2p mmos), I have decided to try WoW again.  And, I have to say, I'm loving it.  

People say WoW is for people who are young or have never played MMO's before.  For me and my wife, it is more of a game for people who are burnt out from the grind and headaches cause by all the "hard core mmos".  I am now at an age where I want to have fun playing a game after a 10hr work day.  I want to log on and just play around, but still get somewhere.

I progressed from Ragnarok Online beta, to Anarchy Online, to EQ2, to Lineage 2.  Then went the f2p route just cause I got burnt out on all the p2p ones I've played.  Now after the hard core grinding and the complicated attribute buff systems and spending 10-15 hours twinking on implants just to get on a gun, then 10-15 more hours putting my normal implants back in just to find my new gun is only running at 75% due to stats lacking, I find I am just ready to log into a game to have fun.  I really don't give a shit about being "the best", that is not going to pay my rent or my car payment.  And for this current mood WoW seems to be the game for me.

So after all that babbling, I have to say I take back all my negative comments about WoW over the years.

Granted you might not want to read my whole post, and that is fine.  Just thought I'd share an experience.

WoW is not just for kids or for people new to mmos, it is for people looking to have a good time.

My god has horns.... nah, I don't think he is real either.

Comments

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

Well ..

You are right. WoW is easy/hard/fun in the same think. Hope you enjoy it till Aion comes online ;))

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• xephonicsxephonics Member UncommonPosts: 672

Yeah I think I will enjoy it atleast till then, but even if I love the hell out of it I'll still try Aion.  I never pass up finding a "better" game.

Till then, though, I think me and my wife have found our new virtual home :)

• mix2pixmix2pix Member Posts: 21

You're right. To boot, they have a mix of options for the "easy mode" / casual people and the hardcore alike. For example, at level 70, you can opt to run level 62 instances just for fun or you can challenge yourself with the Heroic versions of the instances. If that's not challenging enough, then try to join one of the more hardcore raiding guilds and try on some of the 25-man instances. If you like to have fun with PvP but don't want to be stressed out, play some battlegrounds. Want a bigger challenge in PvP, then try your luck at the Arenas. Or, you can just spend your time crafting and grinding for materials to become a wanted resource and make money, work the autionhouse, etc. Or, you can just chat and play around. Something for everyone and very stable.

Also, now that they have really deep pockets ($$$) any MMO that comes out with something really cool and is technically feasible, WoW can afford to patch in the functionality and poof, their right back on top. They can afford the talent and resouces to change anything they want just about anytime they want if the need arises.

Love it or hate it, the monster that is WoW will continue to dominate for quite a while.

• xephonicsxephonics Member UncommonPosts: 672

That was one of the points I forgot to mention.

I love to actually be playing a game that has this much development/resources behind it.  It is sad to see a good game that is understaffed/underfunded.

And games like Anarchy Online, which were once great games, have had their teams stripped to help AoC instead, so it leaves the old game on a half broken life-support.

WoW is one of the most polished/unbuggy games I have seen in years.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    Originally posted by xephonics

People say WoW is for people who are young or have never played MMO's before.  For me and my wife, it is more of a game for people who are burnt out from the grind and headaches cause by all the "hard core mmos".  I am now at an age where I want to have fun playing a game after a 10hr work day.  I want to log on and just play around, but still get somewhere.

WoW is not just for kids or for people new to mmos, it is for people looking to have a good time.

Exactly. It is for people with little time, families, husbands and wives, friends who work, have busy lives but live far apart and meet up in game.

I don't know of any "gamers" who spend time in WoW (though I'm sure they are there) but I do know regular non gaming people who have discovered something in WoW and are really enjoying it.

More power to them I say.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • mrdoublerrmrdoublerr Member Posts: 269

Most mmo players think hard = fun, I'm glad things are changing, videogames arent supposed to feel like work, it should be fun. wow feel like work at 70 if you want to progress far, but you can still do others stuff and have fun.

• PunisherXPunisherX Member Posts: 231

maybe... maybe it's just me... but WoW does feel like work... for me. this is the first real mmo that ive played... but if anyone could give me some tips... i'd appreaciate it... my main is a lvl 23 night elf rogue on arthas

• beauxajbeauxaj Member Posts: 245
    Originally posted by PunisherX

maybe... maybe it's just me... but WoW does feel like work... for me. this is the first real mmo that ive played... but if anyone could give me some tips... i'd appreaciate it... my main is a lvl 23 night elf rogue on arthas

How are you calling it work If you've put  200+ hours into it and only have a lvl 23?   Anyway, if it  feels like work then you're probably not playing a class thats suited to you.  Happens to me when I try to play a rogue.

• PunisherXPunisherX Member Posts: 231
    Originally posted by beauxaj

How are you calling it work If you've put  200+ hours into it and only have a lvl 23?   Anyway, if it  feels like work then you're probably not playing a class thats suited to you.  Happens to me when I try to play a rogue.

how could i find out what my suited class is?

• Enforcer71Enforcer71 Member UncommonPosts: 780

Originally posted by beauxaj

how could i find out what my suited class is?

Make new toons trying out other classes until you find the one that best suits your gameplay. It really doesnt matter how much time you have in game and what level you are, it all comes down to if your having fun.

Out of every 100 men, 10 should not be there,
    80 are nothing but targets, 9 are the real fighters.
    Ah, but one, ONE of them is a warrior,
    and he will bring the others home.
    -Heraclitus 500BC

• aubryaubry Member Posts: 120

200+ hours and only level 23?  Seriously?  That's more time than is needed to get all the way to 70!  You are definitely doing something different than most people.

• spinach8puffspinach8puff Member CommonPosts: 864

WoW kept me going for 4+ years. The beta was great and I loved everything right up until Sunwell. It's still a wonderful game, but I've done everything several times over and I am bored with it. I am really hoping the expansion will spark my interest again.

• grimbojgrimboj Member Posts: 2,102

OP: I'm same as you I have played almost every game on the market. I have a lvl 47 tank on RFO with maxed skills, if you have ever played RFO you will appreciate that I'm not scared of grinding for endless hours.

You can't beat WoW and people are so quick to say otherwise. I bought 12 months of WoW for $100 and its the best value I've ever got out of a game. I can come home from work and instead of spending an hour trying to find the entrance to a cave I just go to the cave, what is wrong with that? hehe.

I will say, WoW is full of kids but the higher level you get the better people are. When you get to heroic instances people are absolutely pleasant but even in the high 60s you can meet some idiots. Take it all with a pinch of salt.

--
    Note: PlayNC will refuse to allow you access to your account if you forget your password and can't provide a scanned image of the product key for the first product you purchased..... LOL

• Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138

maybe... maybe it's just me... but WoW does feel like work... for me. this is the first real mmo that ive played...

It's because it's the only MMO you have played.  You have nothing to compare it to.  Go try a couple other MMO's and see if you still think WoW feels like work.

My tip to you would be to join a guild and find some others to group with on a regular basis.  It's so much more fun when you have someone to converse with.  The best way to find a guild in my opinion is to be on the lookout for helpful people and see if they are in a guild and if so, see if you can get invited.  And I don't mean to ask for help, I'm talking about someone who comes by and sees you are in trouble or doing a quest and stops to help you out.  That kind of unsolicited help is not real common.  Take advantage of the situation and strike up a conversation and see if they are in a guild and get an invite.  Usually where one helpful person is, there are others. 

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

When I played, the folks I played with were mmo vets and our ages ranged from 25 to 50.  I'm sure young kids play, but for the most part the people I interacted with were older, seasoned mmo players.

WOW is as hard as you want it to be.  At first it can seem easy, and there are certain elements that are easy.  But as you get deeper into it, there are many paths you can take and it can be a hardcore game too, in the sense that you can be in a raid that takes hours if that is your thing.

A lot of times WOW takes a hit for its graphics.  Really it is very artistic and creative, and much prettier to look at than the bland, shades of brown that seems to be endemic to many realistically styled mmo's.

Anyway, I resubbed too.  It's nice to max out every setting and still get great performance, especially when coming from a game like AOC.  WOW's animations are very fluid, and the world is not instanced for the most part.  And even though there are zones, they are seamless to the player, which is very nice indeed.

• -Inferno--Inferno- Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 325

I'm approaching my first year of WoW. My warlock is level 70 and decently equipped from 25-player raids. My druid twink is progressing slowly (still stuck at level 45) and the game is still almost as exciting as it was when I began playing it. The world is simply huge, the graphics pleasing to the eye and the community behind WoW is the best I've ever seen in any MMORPG so far. Blizzard care a lot for their players and do all sorts of community things (like the World Wide Invitational in Paris, France this coming weekend) or seasonal events (like the Summer Festival currently going on). They have almost unlimited funding, a very experienced staff, great GM support.... basically everything a MMORPG needs to succeed. Thus it doesn't surprise me that WoW is at the top of the hall of fame at this time and probably will be for some years. I am looking forward to the next expansion (Wrath of the Lich King) and many more years of WoW.

"Fire is never a gentle master..."

• Munkyman1Munkyman1 Member Posts: 221

Yep i am of the same feeling to for WoW.  I come home from work call up my bro his wife etc a couple friend and we get on and enjoy the game for a while, and voicechat is really nice.  Its just what it is.  A fun, easy going (if you want it to be) well polished online game.  Its easy to pick up and play and even my most inept sister and law picked up on it easily enough and enjoys the game.  I have several different characters ive built up and just play diff. ones depending on whoever wants to play at the time.

Its a great game.  And if u ignore the lil pink general and trade chat you dont even notice the silly people that happen to play the same game.  So yep anyone looking for a fun well polished game to play with their friends or family, even just to hold you over for the next big one. Take the time to download the trial, and give it a whirl.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926
    Originally posted by -Inferno-

I'm approaching my first year of WoW. My warlock is level 70 and decently equipped from 25-player raids. My druid twink is progressing slowly (still stuck at level 45) and the game is still almost as exciting as it was when I began playing it. The world is simply huge, the graphics pleasing to the eye and the community behind WoW is the best I've ever seen in any MMORPG so far. Blizzard care a lot for their players and do all sorts of community things (like the World Wide Invitational in Paris, France this coming weekend) or seasonal events (like the Summer Festival currently going on). They have almost unlimited funding, a very experienced staff, great GM support.... basically everything a MMORPG needs to succeed. Thus it doesn't surprise me that WoW is at the top of the hall of fame at this time and probably will be for some years. I am looking forward to the next expansion (Wrath of the Lich King) and many more years of WoW.

Sorry but if WoW has the best community you have seen in an MMO you must not have played verry many at all. Only ones that have worse communities are f2p MMO's. Even the most rabid fans of WoW admit the community is one of the worse.

Now that said, running into a ton of asshats is expected when you have the numbers WoW has. So of all the faults I personally see with WoW the community aspect as least has a good excuse.

• ToriryuToriryu Member Posts: 29

World of Warcraft is a Great Game!

In my opinion, it's the best MMORPG when comparing gameplay and success.

I'm playing my lower level character with my friends, and I'm still enjoying low-level instances like Deadmines and Blackfathom Deeps. I'm too lazy to level my higher-level characters.

Satisfying graphics and great gameplay elements.

• -Inferno--Inferno- Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 325
    Originally posted by xenogias

Sorry but if WoW has the best community you have seen in an MMO you must not have played verry many at all. Only ones that have worse communities are f2p MMO's. Even the most rabid fans of WoW admit the community is one of the worse.

Now that said, running into a ton of asshats is expected when you have the numbers WoW has. So of all the faults I personally see with WoW the community aspect as least has a good excuse.

Of course there are bad apples among the millions of players. But the sheer size of the community helps with having a lot of very nice players. So far I've only encountered maybe 10 bad players among thousands. By the way, I've played a lot of MMORPGs and been writer/reviewer for sites like Stratics, Warcry and MMORPG.com - so I know what I'm talking about ;)

"Fire is never a gentle master..."

• PepsipwnzgodPepsipwnzgod Member Posts: 203

how many negative comments could you have possibly made about a game after only have hit level 14? you dont even get out of the scrub villages (first 3 areas for ur race)  till like  22ish

-----------------------------
    IVE PLAYED WOW AND LIKED IT SO IM A FANBOI PLZ FLAME MY THREADS CUZ I MIGHT MENTION WOW

• MalvolentiaMalvolentia Member Posts: 253

WoW was good when it first came out, but it's crap now imo.

Little too spoonfed for me.  Blizzard always takes the carebear route with their games.  The PvP in WoW is garbage.  Probably what turned me away the most.

Overall decent leveling experience tho spoonfeeding aside.

WoW fanboi: "lolz 11.5 million customers, itz obviously da best"

McDonald's: over 1 billion burgers served

• nAAtimusnAAtimus Member Posts: 342

WoW is a solid game, but only entertains me for 2-3 months before I get bored.

I'm not here to complete my forum PVP dailies.

• AcromoAcromo Member Posts: 33

Of course,

The fact that 4.5 million US/EU people are still paying to play this game almost 4 years after its launch says a lot. Other PC games fade away after a mere 3 months.

Those who didn't see the end game of Wow don't know a thing about Wow. And PvP is the most polished in all MMORPG's these days. Arena is incredible. It's the "high school" of PvP play in any MMORPG. Analysed on the internet till the 0.01 % factor on every item possible on every site possible, including millions of video footage.

It's the 9th symphony of ALL MMORPG's and hopefully it keeps getting unended.

Of course SOME day it will be bettered, but that product will have to be better, not some hyped broken empty shell of marketing words we've seen lately.

Awesome, extremely good, epic. Yep, all words and NO delivery from the competition. Only fanboys and hate towards Blizzard. Normal behaviour of some very frustrated people. OP says it all...