Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"This is the WoW killer" - Why bother?

There is nothing on the market or coming on the market in the near future that will be the 'WoW killer'.

It's a popular phrase, it's a term of endearment I understand, but I amongst others have said this time and time again;

The only thing that will be a WoW killer will be Blizzard with their next MMO.

I've never been so certain of anything before, nor have I ever professed to be.

This is a fact.

Comments

• SignusMSignusM Member Posts: 2,225

You're partially right. There will be no game that kills WoW, not even Blizzard's next MMO, because unless MMOs fail right away, they never die. It'll take WoW a long time to bleed out because of its high subscription number, but it won't die.

In terms of gameplay, there's been several games to come out that were better than it (that's not hard) but its so accessible it will retain people for years to come.

Ultima Online, 10 years after its release, is still going. It was the first big MMO, and they royally screwed it up with the Trammel expansion, but its still going. So is EverQuest(better version of WoW for you noobs)

Nothing will kill WoW, advertising a game as such is stupid.

• Cotillion99Cotillion99 Member UncommonPosts: 251

While you may be right, that is far from a fact.  I honestly don't see a "wow-killer" waiting in the wings, but i do sense that there are a LOT of players in the American market ready for something new. 

• RespyShuntRespyShunt Member Posts: 396

i think WAR and Aion could pose a threat, about killer, i dont know.  10 mil subs is a TON of people and money.  Alot of those subs are 10-20 year olds too, so it appeals to the younger market (like myself) and is easy to get into.  Most gamers these days are young so they want a game that isnt too complicated, like wow, to get into and play.  If WAR is accessible to pretty much every one like wow is, but still brings some new things to the table, it could put a dent in WoWs rep.  Personally, im looking forwards to Aion, it could be the greatest korean MMO to date, and thats not saying much because most are grindfests, but hopefully NCSoft has implemented the western quest based lvling system into the game, to make it less than Lineage 2, and more like WoW, EQ2, etc

• SignusMSignusM Member Posts: 2,225

WAR is a completely different game from WoW. Its based on DAoC's RvR system (thank God) so hopefully Mythic won't succumb to the current disease amongst MMOs to copy WoW by making everything simple.

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240
    Originally posted by SignusM

WAR is a completely different game from WoW. Its based on DAoC's RvR system (thank God) so hopefully Mythic won't succumb to the current disease amongst MMOs to copy WoW by making everything simple.

Aye.

What I cant figure out is why companies are trying to copy all the wrong parts of WoW. They skip over the points that made WoW a grabber from the start and think its all about the features and such. What Blizzard did right with WoW was make a game that can pretty much run on an atari 2600, launched it in a reasonably stable and working state (aside from underestimating the load they would get on day 1).

Thing is, Blizzard made sure they were as ready for launch as possible. Sure there were problems. but not nearly as many as most MMOs have at launch. Thats what companies should be copying. Just make sure it runs, its as stable as possible and as fun as possible from the start.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• HornyHorny Member Posts: 45

It's not the first time we hear somebody say it about a MMORPG and will not be the last for sure.

I always liked Blizzard's games: Rock N' Roll Racing, Blackthorn, Diablo Series, Warcraft Series (except the first one) and Starcraft. Blizzard still rules as the best RTS developer to me but i feel they are losing their touch with Diablo II and WoW.

So i decided dont acquire "would be RPG" games from them anymore. Their "end game" idea remembers me a pokemon game.

• kingtommyboykingtommyboy Member Posts: 543

/agree

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    waiting for ... nothing..

• PepsipwnzgodPepsipwnzgod Member Posts: 203

WoW has kept my attention on and off for 3 years or so... i stray to each new game coming out but i always come back.. WoW just has everything where as most other games glamourize a single aspect of a game... Warhammer is calling itself a pvp game, that in itself will be its downfall and i know a lot of ppl love pvp, the game wont be a bad game it just wont be AS big..  because theyre revolving everything around pvp... and aion is.. well it's just going to be very slow.. i mean i know youve seen the videos of aion, it's slow.. the combat looks slow.. the pvp is slow.. the graphics are 4 years ago.. but yea.. WoW has a decent future

-----------------------------
    IVE PLAYED WOW AND LIKED IT SO IM A FANBOI PLZ FLAME MY THREADS CUZ I MIGHT MENTION WOW

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

Hello Kitty or the new Harry Potter MMO will be the next WoW killer. 

• ChiramChiram Member UncommonPosts: 643
    Originally posted by SignusM

I agree... and by simple you mean a whole whopping 4 battlegrounds and 3 arenas... over 4years.... doesn't WAR already have more than that in their 10-20 area ? not to mention the outdoor pvp :D.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by Chiram
    I agree... and by simple you mean a whole whopping 4 battlegrounds and 3 arenas... over 4years.... doesn't WAR already have more than that in their 10-20 area ? not to mention the outdoor pvp :D.

Don't worry, they're adding another one in WotLK!  Woohoo! 

• DrfeelzgoodDrfeelzgood Member Posts: 4

WoW is just plain getting old to me sick of hearing about it and really sick of these half finished launches by competing (so called) wow killers mmo's. just remember mmo's are like sex its not how fast you get it done its how well and fun it was

word

• joereed1joereed1 Member Posts: 140

I think the original post is right. I've played the beta for WAR and although it has some new ideas, it plays just like wow. ie very similar quests and feel. almost identical combat system. Maybe that will be a good thing because it will have a familiarity to wow players but so far I can't see it troubling wow by stealing subs.

• FrutiFruti Member UncommonPosts: 32

what is exactly meant by "WoW Killer" getting more subs than WoW or stealing subs from WoW? if it means stealing subs it will never happen because there the "fans" if it meant getting more subs, we'll just have to wait for a game that 10 million or so people think is fun

• RaunuRaunu Member UncommonPosts: 480

Blizzard's next-gen MMO won't even kill WoW. Just about the only thing that will kill a popular MMO is time. Given enough time people will get bored and quit. WoW will be around long after Blizz's next-gen MMO hits the shelves.

- - "What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?" - -

• graillgraill Member Posts: 257

I dont hate the french, i do hate what they did to wow and what they have made it into. An AOL clone.

its really sad an american company cannot keep ahold of something before it gets sold or ganked off to some foreign company, so much talent destroyed.

And what do we have to show for it? nearly 4 years and change of french rule, manipulating americas youth with shiny, glowing, high stat objects.

Bill gates..............where are you!!!!!

can you smell that?!!...............there is nothing quite like it.....................the smell of troll in the morning............i love that smell.

• IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360

Personally I can't wait for the WoW Killer (tm).  Because if it can knock-out WoW, it's a really really good game.

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

• RaunuRaunu Member UncommonPosts: 480

Well we all hope for a "WoW Killer." But I guess you have to sort out the definition of "WoW Killer" first. Then hope some game comes along that fits your definition.

- - "What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?" - -

• Silverthorn8Silverthorn8 Member UncommonPosts: 510

The most horrid thing about wow is, its too damn good for its own good. Ive been wanting something to replace it for 3.5 years now and maybe just maybe war is going to be it.

For people new to mmo's wow and maybe lotr are your thang, for the rest of us that love fantasy mmo's with whopping amounts of lore and meaningful pvp ---> WAR this way!

• ThedrizzleThedrizzle Member Posts: 322

WOW KILLER IS RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER!!

And the game is............. Habbo Hotel..

I would never play that peice of crap, but its still pretty much gonna pass WoW in subs.

And btw people, don't talk out of school.  You have no clue if a game released on the horrizon will pass WoW in subs or not.

PS.. I hope WAR isn't the WoW killer cause I hope all the WoW noobs stay and play WotLK and WAR gets back its old DAOC crowd. That will ensure me less headaches.

• IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360

Imo, in order to be a real competitor said title has to be:  1. released code complete, and 2.  a sandbox. 

Funcom's learning a harsh lesson:  you'd better release a polished game today.  One of the new mantra's here at MMORPG is:  today's players aren't as patient.  That's a good thing, imo, but studios don't seem to have gotten the memo.  No one says you have to have to release your game with every small feature, but what you do release had better work and work well.

I also think AoC is hurting because players somehow thought AoC would be different.  AoC is a themepark mmo ... period.  You can dress up the game all you want, but in the end players will be killing the same uber boss who just died moments ago ad nauseum.    WoW is the champion of the themempark sub-genre; no need to simply rinse and repeat.

Lord forbid a well polished sandbox fantasy mmo be released; imo, that would be the WoW Killer.  Give players an environment to shape and one that works.

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

• DreamagramDreamagram Member Posts: 798
    Originally posted by Hoobley

This is a fact.

No, it's an opinion. It's an opinion I'm inclined to share with you, but it's still just an opinion. ;-)

• Oph8Oph8 Member Posts: 177

To be honest here, the only thing that could kill WoW is blizzard releasing another MMO. Blizzard is all about quality games and that's all I've seen from them for years.

"Everything is mine and your woman too"

• Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138

After watching the gameplay trailer, the WoW killer for me could be Diablo III.  Looks pretty awesome.  It's not an MMO, but who cares?

• AcromoAcromo Member Posts: 33
    Originally posted by Pappy13

After watching the gameplay trailer, the WoW killer for me could be Diablo III.  Looks pretty awesome.  It's not an MMO, but who cares?

You mean that game with a 2D scrolling map like Zaxxon in 1984?

Diablo 3 is a complete failure. It should have been developped in full 3D not in a technique used in the last two centuries...

1/10.