Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking to start up guild wars..

dmh3500dmh3500 Member Posts: 13

Hey guys, i bought the original guild wars when it came out and had fun for awhile but then moved on to WoW and school.. now i come back and see there are numerous expansions and addons.. my question is, is there a free trial so i can check out the newer expansions.. and if i were to buy an expansion, which one do you guys recommend buying? I also dont have much money to spend and am not looking to pay 50 bucks for one of the brand newer ones.. if anyone has a trial key for any one of them as well i would greatly appreciate it, thanks guys.

p.s. PM me or AIM me (dmh3500) if you have a spare key, thanks!

Comments

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

I don't have a spare trial key, sorry, but I first recommend that you finish Prophecies (the original) campaign before you buy another, as it really is not necessary. Once you have, you can move on to Nightfall or Eye of the North. Each offers quite a bit more content, as well as Hero NPCs which really are a great help.

Factions is more PvP-oriented, meaning that you'll want to buy that once you've got the hang of the game again, unless you're interested in the PvE campaign or the two new professions it adds.

You can pick up some pretty good bundled deals these days, so I suggest you look around! Have fun.

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

If you already got Prophecies then I'd definitely recommend you to pick it up again and try it, no need to buy a new one when you already got it. After that my suggestion is to buy Nightfall since it will provide you with one of the best PvE campaigns as well as heroes (which also can be found in EoTN) and the fact that it's quite long and entertaining.

• dmh3500dmh3500 Member Posts: 13

I would love to try out the original game.. especially since its been so long and ive basically forgotten everything.. but for some reason my old account will not work and ive tried resetting it but that hasnt worked.. submitted a ticket and NC soft told me they couldnt help me.. id much rather buy nightfall or one of the newer games but would still want a trial key to test it out before i make a purchase

• dmh3500dmh3500 Member Posts: 13

does anyone have a spare trial key?!

• UltraQuackUltraQuack Member Posts: 15

You can purchas Guild Wars Factions Platinum edition for $40 which is a good deal. The only actual game in the Guild Wars series to be considered a true expanion is Eye of The North. I would just go ahead and get that if you all you have is Prophecies.

• deathpulse9deathpulse9 Member Posts: 11

as far as i can see, EoTN rox, but nightfall (ive tried it a little at my friends house) its a little hard. i advise u to finish Proph, which someone said, (srry i forgot hu it was) then move on to Nightfall cuz its more hard. the quest are harder and longer, but the races are awesome! i mean i love the skill Savant Of Balthazar used by Dervish. its like Speed+ and Attack+ and a really awesome peice of armor! :D Guildwars rok on till the end

• Lonesamurai1Lonesamurai1 Member Posts: 1,210
    Originally posted by deathpulse9

as far as i can see, EoTN rox, but nightfall (ive tried it a little at my friends house) its a little hard. i advise u to finish Proph, which someone said, (srry i forgot hu it was) then move on to Nightfall cuz its more hard. the quest are harder and longer, but the races are awesome! i mean i love the skill Savant Of Balthazar used by Dervish. its like Speed+ and Attack+ and a really awesome peice of armor! :D Guildwars rok on till the end

you mean...

imageimage

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Originally posted by Lonesamurai1
    Originally posted by deathpulse9 as far as i can see, EoTN rox, but nightfall (ive tried it a little at my friends house) its a little hard. i advise u to finish Proph, which someone said, (srry i forgot hu it was) then move on to Nightfall cuz its more hard. the quest are harder and longer, but the races are awesome! i mean i love the skill Savant Of Balthazar used by Dervish. its like Speed+ and Attack+ and a really awesome peice of armor! :D Guildwars rok on till the end image
    you mean...  

That skill does however not increase the damage dealt, only make your attacks armor ignoring - since they are turned into Holy damage. But Dervishes are a quite awesome class that's very strong thanks to their ability to hit up to three targets with Scythes, that also deal ~100 damage per hit. Oh, and there are no races either - sadly - only different classes, you're forced to be a human.

• kingofnothinkingofnothin Member Posts: 112

side note question.

i thought i had read something before, but is there better armor if you buy one of the expansions, as for as protection? or is there just different looking ones, but same protection and feats?

I also have the game and was debating getting back in.

• SecromSecrom Member Posts: 318
    Originally posted by kingofnothin

side note question.
    i thought i had read something before, but is there better armor if you buy one of the expansions, as for as protection? or is there just different looking ones, but same protection and feats?
    I also have the game and was debating getting back in.

Max armor levels as well as weapon damage and mods are the same in all campaigns and in the expansion.
  • LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

The armor offered in expansions is there to offer players variety solely.