Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of STARCRAFT?...could it be?

World of STARCRAFT?...could it be?

Just wondering cause no one has been able to do a really good SCI-FI game yet. Could the announcement be about a STARCRAFT mmorpg?

Comments

• WikkedbowtieWikkedbowtie Member Posts: 494

What announcement?

• ShinzouShinzou Member Posts: 34

Well I can name two really good sci-fi games.

Anarchy-Online and EVE-Online

The announcement that blizzard made was about Diablo III though.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

I think I read somewhere that it would be a new IP. No genre details as yet.

• PheacePheace Member Posts: 2,408

I see little sense in announcing a new MMO right before releasing an expansion for your current one so don't count on that happening just yet :)

• joereed1joereed1 Member Posts: 140

Starcraft would make an interesting MMO. I would love an MMO that allowed me to be an alien, preferably a non humaniod alien.

• RaunuRaunu Member UncommonPosts: 480

Well its no secret that they are developing a new MMO by the job openings listed on their sight, its not what the announcement was. The announcement was Diablo 3. 

Too bad, while I love the Diablo series, I just hope I'm not disappointed by this. They need to do away with the hackers, and bring some new mechanics to the game. Having better graphics and a new story isn't enough for me to be happy.

- - "What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?" - -

• MackerniMackerni Member Posts: 230

www.gamingsteve.com/archives/2007/12/blizzard-confirms-new-mmorpg-and-i-have-details.php

"

December 12, 2007

Blizzard Confirms New MMORPG -- And I Have Details

WoW 2.0 South Park Style

Earlier today GameSpot reported that Blizzard has indeed confirmed that they are working on a new MMORPG that is NOT related in any way to World of Warcraft. I've been meaning to write about this for some time now but never really had the chance but now that the "cat is out of the bag" I thought now was as good of time as any to tell you what I know about Blizzard's new MMORPG.

For those who are regular readers to the site you'll know that my track record is pretty darn good when it comes to spilling secrets in the world of gaming. From confirming that Command & Conquer 3 was to be released on the Xbox 360, to breaking the news on the Zune release date, to detailed information on WoW Battleground enhancements I only release information that I am sure is correct. And the following info I am 100% sure is correct.

With that in mind here is what I know about Blizzard's new MMORPG. First is that it has only been under development for a very short period of time. Blizzard held their first internal meeting to discuss this new MMORPG they were going to develop with a small group of core developers during the last week of March 2007. Only the top developers from the WoW team were invited to this meeting and it was extremely small ... and top secret (of course). Even Blizzard at that time didn't know what type of MMORPG they were going to develop. This meeting was to act as an initial brainstorming meeting where this core group could throw around ideas and see what they would want to develop as a next game. Each member of the team was asked to present their ideas for what sort of new MMORPG they would like to develop that was specifically NOT WoW related.

From that meeting in March they began to start the initial development of this new MMORPG, and have begun work on it since April 2007. Right now they are only in the initial stages of development and are only working with a small group. But from what I know the general concept, genre, and intellectual property have been determined. Now all that needs to be done is to make the game!

And with Blizzard's track record expect to see something sometime in around 2014, and expect it to change multiple times during development. Remember that Blizzard spent seven years developing WoW from start to finish and just the "Friends and Family" Alpha Test for WoW lasted over a year. This game will go through the same spit and polish that WoW had to go through, although they do have considerably more experience this time around and are using the core WoW team to build the game architecture.

Unfortunately even I do not know what game genre they are developing or if it using an existing IP or a new one. That is one secret that nobody outside a very small handful of people know about. But I do know that they are going to be trying something different from WoW and it have a completely new gameplay experience than WoW. I wish I had more to tell you other than this, but as I start to hear more I will let you know. Stay tuned..."

• DreamagramDreamagram Member Posts: 798

I don't see how a Starcraft MMOG would work.

In an MMORPG you play a single characetr, and when looking at the three factions the individuals are not even close to "balanced". Put up a protoss against a terran and you'd have to put the terran in a war machine to stand a chance. And the zerg players - from zerglings to overlords - would never be in balance with either protoss or terran.

MMORTS could be an option, but I think we have yet to see one that does moderately well. It'd be too risky to put a lot of development into such a genre at this time.

My best bet for a Starcraft game going away from conventional RTS would be something in the direction of World in Conflict.

• fungistratusfungistratus Member Posts: 437
    Originally posted by Dreamagram

In an MMORPG you play a single characetr, and when looking at the three factions the individuals are not even close to "balanced". Put up a protoss against a terran and you'd have to put the terran in a war machine to stand a chance. And the zerg players - from zerglings to overlords - would never be in balance with either protoss or terran.

It's called creativity something you obvioulsy lack. Universe of Starcraft would rock (World of Starcraft doesn't apply with interstellar travel)

• boognish75boognish75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,540

The new mmo from blizzard has been stated that it will not be one of there existing franchises, but completely new.

playing eq2 and two worlds

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

bliazzrd have already said that there next mmo will not be related to any other blizzard game

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• laleblaleb Member Posts: 215

Starcraft Online. Why would it not work? Take a approach from Aion but have PvPvP. Maybe even allow treaties so you could team with a zerg against protoss  or vice versa. 

• laleblaleb Member Posts: 215
    Originally posted by SgtFrog

bliazzrd have already said that there next mmo will not be related to any other blizzard mmo

I would hope so since they only have one mmo :-)

• fungistratusfungistratus Member Posts: 437

bliazzrd have already said that there next mmo will not be related to any other blizzard mmo

" The new mmo from blizzard has been stated that it will not be one of there existing franchises, but completely new."

Everyone keeps saying this but Blizzard also said they weren't making Diablo 3.

Where is the press quote (source) for this?

• doomrahdoomrah Member CommonPosts: 376
    Originally posted by laleb

yeah, it will be World of Warcraft 2!

• DreamagramDreamagram Member Posts: 798
    Originally posted by fungistratus

Originally posted by Dreamagram

It's called creativity something you obvioulsy lack. Universe of Starcraft would rock (World of Starcraft doesn't apply with interstellar travel)

So because I don't already have the solution to how to do this I completely lack creativity? Nice/fitting choice of "smiley". I don't bite. ;-)

Don't get me wrong; I'd absolutely love to see a Starcraft MMOG (gief scifi MMOGs, dammit!), especially an MMORTS one. I just don't see at this point how it would be done. I don't doubt someone will figure it out someday, but I don't think that day is so close Blizzard would dedicate a development team to it already.

• CereoCereo Member Posts: 551

Starcraft MMO will work. Just because the RTS had 10 zerglings vs 1 Zealot doesn't mean you can't change that fact for an MMO. Look at WAR, if you play the tabletop game you know races like the orcs usually have a lot more guys verse most of the other races. Does that mean WAR is going to force the Greenskins to be much less powerful and only focus on mass quantities of guys to win? I highly doubt it.

And its about the story and the idea of starcraft... obviously it wouldn't be everyone rolls Battlecruiser and Carrier.

In any case, I am scared to see a NEW IP title from Blizzard. Diablo, Starcraft, and Warcraft treat us so well!

• LocklainLocklain Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by charris1980

Originally posted by laleb

yeah, it will be World of Warcraft 2!

Nonsense, it will be UNIVERSE OF WARCRAFT!  You know kinda like WAR 40k.  Entirely new IP yet they can be lazy and just add lasers.

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand
  • PorfatPorfat Member Posts: 364
    Originally posted by boognish75

The new mmo from blizzard has been stated that it will not be one of there existing franchises, but completely new.

You have a link to back that up.  I think you're misinterpreting one of blizzard's quotes.

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884

For Starcraft Universe to work they just need to make the Zerg like monster play from LOTRO and it would work great.

But as for my personal desire, I would just love a new SciFi IP that was Blizzards take on Star Trek, more grity, more imagination with the alien races and less of them but fleshed out far beyond just a generic archetype hyperbole that we get in Star Trek.ž

Oh, and with a skill system please, I don't want to be divided by levels from my friend who just got in and I can't be bothered to help him because I'm way overpowered to make any sense in the gameworld and I don't want to level an alt just so we can have some "fun" together.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

Underworld Online... Vampire v. Werewolf... yeah... works for me...

• Gamefreek333Gamefreek333 Member Posts: 166

I just skipped to last page of this thread, so I don't know if anyone suggested this yet, but I thought Blizzard could make a Starcraft MMOFPS, with factions, and questlines similar to WoW. I barely know anything about Starcraft, but I just thought it'd be cool if they made Starcraft an MMOFPS.

• IkonicIkonic Member UncommonPosts: 310

OMG, Blizzard dropped the ball and let the original owner of their IP beat them to the punch. Vigil games is already working on the ORIGINAL Starcraft concept, Warhammer 40k Online.

• KurushKurush Member Posts: 1,303
    Originally posted by Ikonic

OMG, Blizzard dropped the ball and let the original owner of their IP beat them to the punch. Vigil games is already working on the ORIGINAL Starcraft concept, Warhammer 40k Online.

Ya know, someone really ought to punch all yall.  By yall, I mean you suckers who jump on the bashing bandwagon without really knowing if a claim is true or false.  Let me start by saying I'm not a Blizzard fanboi.  Sure, I play their games.  I can safely say that most of them have pissed me off as much as they have made me happy.  When I close my eyes, I can still see my damn sorcerer getting owned and dropping all his gear after some fucker used the hacked blood star kill from eight levels up.  It was really great to be forced to use a hack trainer in a game because it was the only thing that provided protection from people with no computer knowledge _crashing your game by pushing a button on their trainer_.  Oh, we fixed the townkill, at least.  Sorry for the rest of the b.net experience being completely ruined.

Anyhow, what pisses me off is that I do like p&p rpg's.  Mostly Shadowrun, a bit of D&D, but I do know a bit about WH.  Let me break it down for you.

Starcraft did copy some of the visuals from WH40k.  This is likely all that you have seen.  Aside from that, they are not even close.  Even suggesting that they are proves only one thing.  You have zero clue of what WH40k is really about.  So gg and thanks.