Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMOFPS, where they be?

Just thought id touch on this for a little bit, not many of these games exist or even live up to the title, the only one i see who have made a MMOFPS is planetside, huxley looks to much like unreal and its instances so no.

Anyway the point of this post is why havnt devlopers attack this front very much, i know planetside wasnt a big money maker but as far as game ideas go it was holden (in time it got worst, but for the main part was great)

So just a few questions to you all to get a idea

1- If a MMOFPS was going to be made, what key featuers would you want?

2- What ideas from past FPS/RPG/MMO would you take?

3- Would you play it?

4- How many sides should it have?

5- If it was to take a IP what would you pcik

6- If it doesnt take a IP what should be the settings?

7- What kind of land should you be fighting for? (just land, or sea bases and in space ect)

For me it should be a MMOFPS with RPG elements, the main idea ofcourse is you are a soldier not a hero, and you are in a world to capture/control/keep your ownership for your side of a certain area. Using vehicals, soldiers,special attacks and things you can do. Like i said before just take planetside (pre CC) and build apon it. Make each side have its own appeal / flavore to it and keep it so you are loyal to your side and work together to fight for things.

Thoughts ? comments? discuss

Comments

• Alamor0Alamor0 Member UncommonPosts: 182

1- If a MMOFPS was going to be made, what key featuers would you want?

PvP.  Lots of it.  Unbelievable amounts of it.  I would want the game CENTERED around fighting other people.  I don't want to shoot a computer controlled mob.

2- What ideas from past FPS/RPG/MMO would you take?

Dark Age of Camelots RvR.  But with more factions based on planets not continents.

Headshots.

Vanguards openness but on an interplanetary scale!  I despise heavy instancing.

3- Would you play it?

Hell yeah.

4- How many sides should it have?

At least 3.  Though I like the idea of it being Guild or maybe just planet based.  This opens up the possibility of alliances which would be really fun.

5- If it was to take a IP what would you pcik

STARCRAFT!!

6- If it doesnt take a IP what should be the settings?

Sci-Fi

7- What kind of land should you be fighting for? (just land, or sea bases and in space ect)

Planets - and possibly even the land on the planets.

An MMOFPS is what I want.  Unfortunately, I have yet to see an open world PvP based MMOFPS in development.

• StaticLGStaticLG Member Posts: 5

I'm not aware of Many MMOFPS games.

There's planetside, of course, which i quite enjoy.

Neocron is psudo FPS, did a fairly good job at it too but the games been through some rough patches (no pun intended).

Jumpgate (classic) is a FPS, thou the MMO part is questionable at best.

Jumpgate Evolution Promises to be a true MMOFPS, if your not bothered with being a pilot inside a ship, which you never really get to leave.

Personally i prefer sci-fi space games, so JGE is something im looking forward too. As far as a ground games go i think planetside did a pretty decent job. The only thing that game needs (in my opinion) would be some purpose. A bit of story maybe or some real purpose to conquering the bases other then for the sake of having them in your colours.

That's my £0.02 for what its worth :)

• AlrewAlrew Member Posts: 14

Huxley is a mmofps in development. I have not been following it.. but you may want to look into it.

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

If you're looking for MMOFPS games then you need to cruise over to Massive FPS. Be warned, there isn't a whole lot going on with MMOFPS games outside of Asia, so there isn't a whole lot going on at Massive FPS.

As for what I want out of an MMOFPS.... I really dig what they did with Field of Honor. It's basically FPS versus RTS with some players controlling a zerg-like insect swarm RTS style and other players controlling single marine units FPS style. Believe it or not, it actually works pretty well. Or maybe I'm just olde skool enough to still be able to appreciate the glee of strafing around huge hoards of enemies and spraying explosive death into the crowd without reloading.

I'm imagining a huge persistent world game like Savage 2 mixed with elements of DoTA.

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077

MMOFPS = Deus Ex.

Hybrid game that has both FPS and RPG rolled into one. Satisfies the shooter; the ranger/scout type; the thief and the hacker, as you can shoot/ use your crossbow/ sneak+steal/ and hack yourself through networks and beyond to win.

PLUS IT HAS A STORYLINE THAT WILL BLOW YOUR MIND (and ideas about your government you wish weren't true and more -- you'll find things like no world trade center in the SP game, as the devs said they wouldn't be around [1 year later, both were destroyed -- 9/11; FEMA's the bad guy in the game -- Katrina's aftermath, anyone?]).

Near future to not be Star Trekish, just enough to give some update to abilities and weapons (lasers and nanotechnology). All night; gritty "after the bomb" feel. Cyberpunk a la mode.

Quake and all are already MP, and really don't have a real backdrop story. F.E.A.R. could make it into the MMO world, but it would be hard to keep people online playing Halloween 24/7/356, and being chased by a little girl.

DX FTW!