Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW or EQ2?

djariel1djariel1 Member Posts: 96

i need a new MMO and cant deside

How the hell do you pronounce Gotye?

Comments

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

You could always download the trials on both and decide based on wich one you like better.

But if you aren't willing to do that, it's likely that you like WoW better. EQ2 isn't a bad game, but WoW is more for everyone no matter what their playstyle is and what they like. And WoW is more polished and works more reliably on every computer. 

• TeganxTeganx Member Posts: 401

Eq2 is great but as stated above you cant really  go wrong with WoW. Something about it just really sticks with you. Its quite charming. The world just seems to have so much character. 

I know its not on the list but you might want to give AoC a chance as well. Im playing it now and havent been more pleased since WoW around release.

playing: darkfall
    waiting: earthrise

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

I played EQ2 back when it came out and then came back a few years later.  I played WoW a few months after it came out and then a few years later.  I was in friendly, dedicated guilds in both.  I must say that WoW doesn't really have that "homey" feel anymore EQ2 has.  EQ2 seems to me like the community is tighter.  Anyways I would try the trial on both. 

• funnylumpyfunnylumpy Member Posts: 212

trail both WoW is not a secure winner... it really depends on what your preferances is so a trial of both would be advisable.

• AcromoAcromo Member Posts: 33

Try both.

Odds are 95% you will choose Wow, because 95% of the people pay to play Wow instead of EQ2.

It depends on taste, but only the haters will tell you otherwise. Gaming is to have fun. Not hate.

• FaelanFaelan Member UncommonPosts: 819

djariel1,

Your profile says that you're 13 years old. If that's the case, go with WoW as you'll find more people there closer to your age.

I'm a big ol' fluffy carewolf. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by Faelan

djariel1,
    Your profile says that you're 13 years old. If that's the case, go with WoW as you'll find more people there closer to your age.

That's just a typical stereotype.

I say go with WoW.

• patrikd23patrikd23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,155

Try both and find out for yourself is the best choice

• FaelanFaelan Member UncommonPosts: 819
    Originally posted by observer

Originally posted by Faelan

djariel1,

That's just a typical stereotype.

I say go with WoW.

Has nothing to do with stereotypes. I've played both games extensively. My recommendation is purely based on personal experiences and observations of both in-game communities and working with teenagers in real life. If that so happens to fit into the stereotypical view, so be it. Of course, if the OP is just looking for a mostly solo experience and doesn't intend to interact much with the community, then it won't matter much.

Also, please note that I didn't mean this in a bad way ("Go back to WoW kid... WoW is for kiddies... EQ2 is for the elite mature crowd") if that's what you were thinking. Nothing wrong with playing WoW. Seriously. It's a lot of fun and makes for a great real life topic of conversation because a lot of people have at least heard about it or knows someone who is playing it.

OP, give it a shot first and if you don't like it or want to do more than just killingg stuff, then try out EQ2... or possibly LOTRO which strikes me as being somewhat inbetween WoW and EQ2 in feel.

Personally, I think EQ2 has the better mechanics, general idea and depth... but WoW is just plain simple fun... and that's hard to ignore when you just want to chill out and have a good time.

I'm a big ol' fluffy carewolf. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

• djariel1djariel1 Member Posts: 96

well i might be 13 but i say i do enjoy playing with more mature people....well i tryed both trials and Main diference is ...EQ2= more mature helpfull comunity,   WoW = .........idk i guess its b etter graphics and more mpas......but idk i still cant deside....i went to buy WoW but idk it didnt keep my playing ( i think its because i did 1 quest took me 30 mins to find the other ) idk something about wow didnt keep my playing but im guessing im leaning more tward wow cuz of all the maps and blood elfs ^_^

How the hell do you pronounce Gotye?

• doomrahdoomrah Member CommonPosts: 376

based on your posts, go with WoW

ps.  i can't understand how it took you 1/2 hour to find a 2nd quest at the beginning.  the fist 10-20 quests for any race is 5 ft from each other and have you kill mobs 10ft from you?!

• grimbojgrimboj Member Posts: 2,102

I'll get flamed for being the one to make a choice but WoW is better. EQ2s combat is clunky, the graphics system lags on the best of PCs, the subscription costs more money, the dungeons aren't instanced but the towns are... Don't get me wrong - I'm even thinking about booting EQ2 now that it's free but in direct comparison to WoW its failures are obvious. In fact EQ2 is your only alternative if you can't get into WoW but are committed to the fantasy mmorpg genre. My suggestion would be to do the WoW free trial then do the EQ2 free trial (if you don't like WoW). The hugest difference between the games is that soloing EQ2 is a complete write off, some people have had success with complementary duos (tank+healer) but solo is about 1/2 as fast as grouping. At the same time this adds a really great feeling of commitment to a group, people really are willing to restart a dungeon and fill the slot they lost as ... well .. what else are they gonna do? lol. The fastest way to lvl in WoW is to solo 1-70 with no only grouping to complete the instance quests.

Edit: Go on wow-pro.com - this is a great index of free guides. Just pick your guide and follow it. Sounds boring but wait to see how fast you lvl. WoW is not very good for leading you between zones.

--
    Note: PlayNC will refuse to allow you access to your account if you forget your password and can't provide a scanned image of the product key for the first product you purchased..... LOL

• MMO-ManiacMMO-Maniac Member Posts: 176

Dungeon Runners

lol, free or pay it's a fun little game.

Ok, go with WoW.

• madjimbobmadjimbob Member Posts: 49

WoW for one simple reason alone. It's run by blizzard and for all for WoW failings it's still a great MMORPG, I've grown board of it and only play from time to time on it, but it still has some interest to me even after 3 years.  EQ2 however I've never played for one simple reason alone it's run by Sony Online Entertainment or as we MMORPGers like to say...EVIL INCARNATE! SOE is about the worst thing ever to happen to the MMORPG world! Save your self grief and pain and avoid anything with the SOE logo.  If you hunt around enough at the SOE MMORPG’s and look them up here I will hedge my bets that there will be a very large tread(s) flaming SOE for there incompetence and idiocy.

Eve rocks! If you don't like it your a a 12 year old, or have the mental age of one, with the attention span of a goldfish! We are so glad your not screwing up the greatest MMORPG to date! Or of course you just might not like this kind of game ;D ...weirdo’s!

• SimmusSimmus Member Posts: 222

i have tried both of them ,personally go with WoW,

eq2 doesnt fit to me,it seems ugly ,sorry for the flames but it true,

and it SOE,no one can trust them.spec SWg /cry

• kiaotickiaotic Member Posts: 7

wow is gr8! maybe u need a game like wow

• deadplayerdeadplayer Member Posts: 102

I recommend  world of warcraft,  the best game i've ever played.

• There ARE WoW clones. EQ2 was one. They took an awesome game, (EQ1) and changed into a WoW clone for it's sequel, to compete against Blizzard. I played both games. They are very similar. And yes, most mmorpgs are WoW clones these days. I know the difference between WoW clone and just "2 games in the same genre"

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Originally posted by Battlekruse

There ARE WoW clones. EQ2 was one. They took an awesome game, (EQ1) and changed into a WoW clone for it's sequel, to compete against Blizzard. I played both games. They are very similar. And yes, most mmorpgs are WoW clones these days. I know the difference between WoW clone and just "2 games in the same genre"

EQ2 was released months before WoW, I cant see how eq2 can be a wow clone!

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

I think you have it the wrong way around...more like WoW is an EQ clone lol.

• DreamagramDreamagram Member Posts: 798
    Originally posted by Vidir

There ARE WoW clones. EQ2 was one. They took an awesome game, (EQ1) and changed into a WoW clone for it's sequel, to compete against Blizzard. I played both games. They are very similar. And yes, most mmorpgs are WoW clones these days. I know the difference between WoW clone and just "2 games in the same genre"

Their betas were overlapping by many months prior to EQ2's release.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by Vidir

lol, seriously.  Everything is a WoW clone these days! 

• PeccaviPeccavi Member Posts: 53

jesus people. WoW was not the first MMO out there. Only the first that was so over simplified  that anyone can play it. Its a shitty game. But because its so simple and we have children like the OP that can't spell i dont know and have to just type idk 6 times. Thats why WoW does so well. frack blizzard and frack hip hop text messeging ebonics.

• DreamagramDreamagram Member Posts: 798
    Originally posted by Peccavi

children like the OP

Originally posted by Peccavi

frack blizzard and frack hip hop text messeging ebonics.

The irony made me chuckle. :-)

• mo0rbidmo0rbid Member Posts: 363
    Originally posted by djariel1

WoW = .........idk i guess its b etter graphics

Excuse me? What computer are you playing on? a pentium II?