Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Computer building time

DravokDravok Member Posts: 55

I haven't upgraded my rig in 5 years and now is the time to do so for AoC.  I need advice on what I can get so it runs AoC at really nice settings.  I do not want to spend more than $1500 and would like to keep it near $1000 or slightly more if possible.

Comments

• megaflux19megaflux19 Member Posts: 99

from what i can tell; IT CANT!

so just give up and bide your time until a game that is worth a crap comes out! every config i have seen for AoC sucks  (fk yes even the high end stuff).

man there are more thing to life than getting your rig to run 1/2 ass games. enjoy those things in the meantime.

• AznmaskAznmask Member Posts: 178

buy a Dell PC $499..(Quad 6600 2.4ghz, 3gb ddr, 500gb,) then buy a 8800GT 512mb.) so total cost under $600..

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=ddpcdt5&cs=19&dgvcode=ss&c=US&l=EN&m_1=CT545HN&m_3=2G2D&dgc=CJ&cid=7420&lid=0

• megaflux19megaflux19 Member Posts: 99

wait ..did you just advocate buying a dell?...

WTF, if you want a sys worth atleast crapping on DONT buy a dell. buy some noname brand and put wtf you want in it. a DELL to simply redo? wtf? look around @ frys , newegg, tigerdirect wherever get base components and THEN own it, putting $ in dell says its ok to charge a ton of $ for 1/2 ass parts and near 0 support (because what you find out is you paid for is support ...which is about 60$  a year or you get to fix it yourself anyways).

man ask a TRUSTED techie (look around theres several on this board) say "i want to spend X$ what do you suggest?" and most of them will GLEEFULLY put together  a sys for dirt cheap that you can take pleasure in saying "i built it". as easy as a snap together model is. 95% of the time a pc is JUST that simple.

a fkn dell.... why even ask here? just ask @ the dell boards..im SURE they will steer you clear.

if you are dead set on spending like 1.5k on a machine get the best:

http://www.falcon-nw.com/

you can get alot o parts REAL cheap these days, consider you need nothing more than a dual core and either sli or crossfire setup with 4 gigs ram to bottom out most games. i dont know if you need the monitor also but you can get most smaller sizes @ pretty reasonable prices these days (ok no 32 inch).

what are our machines?

processors

drives

ram

our motherboards

periphrials

and our need to win.

dell doesnt give that, nomatter what model number it is, if you have a dell you ARE a part time gamer.

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

For a pre-built machine the fragbox is pretty nice.  Its portable and uses a micro-ATX which would be hard to get the power it posses.  However, for the price there are a couple things I don't like about it.  It takes 2 weeks to build.  It uses a 32-bit OS, and for 1500 it doesn't include a monitor, a multi-HDD setup, speakers, a sound card, and only 4 GB ram.  If you can build it yourself you can get all that and thensome.

Right now if you are trying to build one, here are the parts I get.  All prices are estimates since I don't feel like going out and doing the research.

• Intel P45 Motherboard ~$200
    • Intel Wolfdale E8400 ~$200
    • 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 (2x2GB) ~$140
    • ATI HD 4850 ~$175
    • Full Tower Case ~$100
    • Asus Xonar Card ~$100
    • 800w Power Supply ~$120
    • Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit OEM ~$100
    • DVD-RW ~$40
    • Western Digital 250 GB x3(OS, Apps, Storage)~$180
    • Total Price:~$1355 Excluding Monitor, Input Device, Speakers, After Market Cooler.

• AznmaskAznmask Member Posts: 178

really lol? my system Quad6600 2.4ghz, 3gb ddr2, 250gb, 8800GT 512mb,, and cost me.. $620. And i playing AOC.. in high setting, and it is a DELL..

BTW i score 11K+ in 3Dmarks 2006. my system is 24/7.. and my room didnt have AC. This system can handle the heat, and the videocard..