Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PCI-e And AGP?

Daniel1246Daniel1246 Member Posts: 8

Do all moderan motherboards have PCI-e now? or is AGP still around? I was going to buy a new computer, but not sure to which one is better. There seems to be a little battle between AGP and PCI-e.

Comments

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240
    Originally posted by Daniel1246

Do all moderan motherboards have PCI-e now? or is AGP still around? I was going to buy a new computer, but not sure to which one is better. There seems to be a little battle between AGP and PCI-e.

AGP is on the way out (well pretty much already out) as most boards today are PCIe. You may be able to find an AGP board somewhere still, but you would be better off with PCIe.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

The ATI x1900pro is about the best card you can get for AGP so you can see how dated it is...

• SteakpuncherSteakpuncher Member Posts: 255

PCI-E is pretty much the standard for graphics cards now. There is no real battle between the two as AGP is 8x and PCI-E is 16x, PCI-E is the superior version.  AGP will offer no upgrade possibilities so you really need to go for PCI-E to ensure you can upgrade your card in future without having to buy a whole now MB as well.

• Daniel1246Daniel1246 Member Posts: 8

Thanks for the quick replys! I'm not sure if the one has a PCI-e slot, or AGP, unless i actually drive to the store myself and ask. It's has a Core 2 Duo E4600 2.4ghz, LGA775. My last LGA775 socket mobo had a PCI-e slot. IP4 3.06GHZ

• SteakpuncherSteakpuncher Member Posts: 255

If it supports a Quad-core E4600 then it more than likely supports a PCI-E slot, however I would suggest making 100% sure before you go ahead and spend money.