Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worth returning to finish the Burning Crusade content?

BattleFelonBattleFelon Member UncommonPosts: 483

Hi all,

I played WOW for about a year after launch but got bored with the high level grind and quit before the Burning Crusade came out. I now have 2 level 60s who could go into Outland and have thought about picking up the expansion over the summer. I'm basically trying to decide if I should give WOW another shot for a few months while I wait to check out Warhammer Onlne.

So, is the expansion content worth playing?

Will there be groups to do dungeons with or are most players too busy doing the Level 70 content?

Finally, could I get a character from 60-70 and buy my epic mount before WAR comes out in September?

Comments

• RecantRecant Member UncommonPosts: 1,586

It's difficult to guess how you will fare finding groups, this really depends on the realm you play on.  High population servers usually don't have issues for any level range, but the lower pop ones might mean you have to wait a while for some of least popular dungeons.

The expansion is definately worth playing, I prefer it over the original game.  The quests are better, there's a lot of diversity, and the dungeons are very nice.   Getting an epic flying mount before september depends on your play-time and what you actually spend your time doing, but this is definately doable - do some daily quests every day and you'll have no problem. 

One good thing about reaching 70 now is you will have to play really hard to get bored with the game before WOTLK comes out.

Still waiting for your Holy Grail MMORPG? Interesting...

• LuRaviLuRavi Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Originally posted by BattleFelon

Hi all,
    I played WOW for about a year after launch but got bored with the high level grind and quit before the Burning Crusade came out. I now have 2 level 60s who could go into Outland and have thought about picking up the expansion over the summer. I'm basically trying to decide if I should give WOW another shot for a few months while I wait to check out Warhammer Onlne.
    Will there be groups to do dungeons with or are most players too busy doing the Level 70 content?
    Finally, could I get a character from 60-70 and buy my epic mount before WAR comes out in September?

1. Sure its worth playing for a month or two. the outlands experience.

2. Highly unlikely to find normal 5 man groups for Ramparts, Underbog, Slave pens, Blood furnace, and upwards unless they are rushed and by people who've done it a million times expecting everyoent o know their place and do it correctly in shortest timespan. Imo It would not be fun as a first timer.

2a. sure pick a server thats very packed with players you'll be able to play, but again its with everyone who has run them and I would not find it a fun first time exp. As well they have made them easier since they came out so no again sense of accomplishment.

3. well since I do not know your playtime, in 3 months time yes, you should be able to level 60-70 and then it depends if your all 10 to 25 daily quests every day. Once you hit level 70 you need 1,000 gold to buy your normal flying skill, then 5,000 after that to buy your epic flying skill. when TBC first came out you were allowed only 10 daily quests a day now its 25 daily quests. so in 2 hours(numbered pulled outa air)  you can do all 25 daily and make big bucks.

3a. But then to even open the Ogri'la chain of daily quests you need a 5 man group of people willing to run you thru the chain quickly which I think again lessens the fun and exploration of experiencing it.

For me it would not be worth it, knowing what I know now and knowing most of the wow crowd.

However I was on a low population server with my 70, and its impossible to get aherioc group now, and i'm the healer with a good reptutation. My healer currently lvl 64 on a medium server simply finds the normal at my level 5 man instances to easy, not the way I found them when I was levelling up my first healer on other server. so I am convinced they made even normal instances easier, by stealth nefing something to make it borininly easy. Less downtime.

• IceTCIceTC Member Posts: 17

I would hold on giving your $ back to Blizzard only because the game has really jumped the shark lately with its class imbalance (druids-warriors reign supreme) and the leveling from 60 to 70 takes quite a long time (unless your a hardcore player).  BC was fine when it came out, but ever since Kalgan took over it has really gone down the toilet.  The upper end game is also HEAVILY guild based.  If you are not with a powerful guild, there is not much end game stuff to do except PVP (which has gone downhill too)

Irrespective of all that, you'll be downloading patches for days if you went back, haha.

Wait for WH

• aubryaubry Member Posts: 120

Plenty of time to jump in and enjoy it.  I just finished taking an old alt toon I had parked - and leveled him from 60-70.  It only took a little over 3 weeks (and I wasn't rushing at all).  It's true that getting groups for the <70 instances will be tough.  Finding a group for the first 2 BC instances, ramparts and blood furnace, won't be that hard, but after that it will be hard on a mature server.  I ran ramparts 3 times and blood furnace 1 time and didn't touch anything else before I hit 70 on this last toon.  However, there are plenty of quests so you can still solo all the way to 70 without running any instances and still have unfinished quests left over. 

I think it's definitely worth a try.  Also, if you reactivate your account I think you are able to try BC for free for 10 days (although you may not be able hit level 61 with your character - you can fill up the exp bar but it won't let you ding 61 - at least that's the way it used to be).  Anyway, it wouldn't cost much to give it a try for an afternoon or two.

If WAR turns out to flop (which I doubt, but you never know), then you'll be ready to hop back into WoW and enjoy the expansion right away and will be able to run all the 70-80 instances when everybody else is running them.

• Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138
    Originally posted by LuRavi

Hi all,

1. Sure its worth playing for a month or two. the outlands experience.

2. Highly unlikely to find normal 5 man groups for Ramparts, Underbog, Slave pens, Blood furnace, and upwards unless they are rushed and by people who've done it a million times expecting everyoent o know their place and do it correctly in shortest timespan. Imo It would not be fun as a first timer.

2a. sure pick a server thats very packed with players you'll be able to play, but again its with everyone who has run them and I would not find it a fun first time exp. As well they have made them easier since they came out so no again sense of accomplishment.

3. well since I do not know your playtime, in 3 months time yes, you should be able to level 60-70 and then it depends if your all 10 to 25 daily quests every day. Once you hit level 70 you need 1,000 gold to buy your normal flying skill, then 5,000 after that to buy your epic flying skill. when TBC first came out you were allowed only 10 daily quests a day now its 25 daily quests. so in 2 hours(numbered pulled outa air)  you can do all 25 daily and make big bucks.

3a. But then to even open the Ogri'la chain of daily quests you need a 5 man group of people willing to run you thru the chain quickly which I think again lessens the fun and exploration of experiencing it.

For me it would not be worth it, knowing what I know now and knowing most of the wow crowd.

However I was on a low population server with my 70, and its impossible to get aherioc group now, and i'm the healer with a good reptutation. My healer currently lvl 64 on a medium server simply finds the normal at my level 5 man instances to easy, not the way I found them when I was levelling up my first healer on other server. so I am convinced they made even normal instances easier, by stealth nefing something to make it borininly easy. Less downtime.

Yes to all the OP's questions.

2.  It's even easier now that many people are doing the instance for the 2nd or 3rd time, just tell your group you have never done the instance and they'll tell you all you need to do.  It's easy.  A lot of people are looking to run alt's thru for whatever reason.  He's looking to get thru them quickly anyhow.  Would work perfectly for him.

3a.  There's no real reason to do the dailies in Ogri'la anymore, just do the sunwell quests.  There are like 15 dailies in that area alone and they're much easier to complete than the ones in Ogri'la for the most part  You can do them all in like an hour.  When you finish there do the Skettis quests for another couple quests.  Finish up with a few PvP type daily quests.  You could get in 25 dailies and never go to Ogri'la.

• DreamagramDreamagram Member Posts: 798

Epic ground mount should be no sweat. Epic flying mount is very doable, depending on your play-time. In any case, Tom Chilton said at the Worldwide Invitational this weekend that you would be able to use flying mounts in Northrend from level 77 (if I remember correctly). That's another 7 levels to earn that gold, and if TBC is an indicator the gold will be flowing in rivers in Northrend. :-p