Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need Tech info on 9800

HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

I was looking into getting a 9800.

However I did see that it requires a 450 wat power supply, my rigg will have 500 watts.

Does this mean that only 50 watts will be left to rest of the computer's functions?

Advice or suggestions please, I can't go over 500 watts on my psu

TYWM

Comments

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

450watts is recommended with a normal PC configuration.  If you have other power consuming products then you will need more.  Like Multiple HDD.

• PureChaosPureChaos Member Posts: 839

Didnt the 4850 score just as well and better in other things then the 9800 but costs 30$ less?

• sbantingsbanting Member Posts: 238

{ Mod Edit }

As far as my understanding goes most PSU's don't run at there quoted wattage, definatly if its a cheap make, it should be fine for the job depending on your cpu and how many drives you are running etc. I'd say try it out then if it doesn't work then up the PSU then u don't lose anything :D

• zlayzerzlayzer Member Posts: 81

I would suggest that you either get a Ati 4850 or a 4870 because the 4850 almost beats the Nvidia gtx 260 and the 4870 sometimes beats the Gtx 280!

I havent checked the price of the 9800 lately but i think it's equal to the 4870.

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

Interesting.

I have only had two ATI cards, the 1600 and 1650, both was OK, but I am looking to go back to Nvidea.

• erandurerandur Member Posts: 727

You chose the wrong time to buy ATI cards then, Nvidia used to 'pwn' ATI the last few years. But now ATI is making its comeback, both in performance, as in price! Look up some benchmarks, compare both cards, make your decision. And also, benchmarks usually include information about the specific card?

You know it, the best way to realize your dreams is waking up and start moving, never lose hope and always keep up.

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077
    Originally posted by Hrica

I was looking into getting a 9800.

However I did see that it requires a 450 wat power supply, my rigg will have 500 watts.

Does this mean that only 50 watts will be left to rest of the computer's functions?
    Advice or suggestions please, I can't go over 500 watts on my psu

TYWM

It's minimum of 450watt PSU, not that it uses all 450watts (usually they don't use more than 140watts). But you always want more than spec, as reboots is where you hit the peak power stage (roughest time on hardware too).

...FYI about PSUs...

The problem with buying PSUs is most are underrated. It says 500watts on the label but it's peak power, actual power is less. So a 500watt PSU is really 460 or 480watts.

Two companies that sell rated PSUs (that also give a little more for true peak power -- usually like 30 watts extra) are: PC Power and Cooling and Seasonic. If you're into quiet computing, get the Seasonic. The 120mm fan is ultra quiet and only gets to 800rpm (I use the Seasonic, and it's IS quiet). PCP+C if you have a full tower; Seasonic for medium towers/desktop/Media cases, their wiring is short.

Secondly, when shopping for a PSU you also want ACTIVE PFC. You want the power going to your expensive videocard to be conditioned to save wear and tear (and if you overclock it's essential). Even in lieu of a APC line conditioner.

Thirdly, when trying to figure how much you need. If your hardware is mostly new (especially hard drives) you won't need as much power than before to power them. Old HDD needed 30watts a piece (a RAID 10 would need it's own PSU itself, for example). Today they're mainly rated at 15watts a piece. Most rigs go the RAID-0 config, especially for gaming. So powering them won't be an issue, same goes for the motherboard (with it's better manufacturing process) and now even FINALLY the processor. Most online power calculators are programmed for older hardware, too (still see too many with 30watts per HD). The main power eater now -- that hasn't learned it's lesson -- is the videocard.

If your PSU is expensive and you don't want to switch it out, you could use a piggy back PSU that's designed to just power your videocard. They're pretty small, and IIRC, can even fit in an available 5.25" drive bay. I haven't looked into those much, but it is an option if your PSU is expensive and you sleeved and hid the wiring, and don't want to go through the hell of pulling everything out (wire management is a royal PAIN!).

Newegg has a good selection. If you want it pre/sleeved, peformance-pcs.com is where to get a wide range of them. Unlike other places, they maintain the full warranty on PCP+C PSUs on their sleeving jobs, so you don't void the warranty (as good sleeving requires opening up the PSU) -- important to know, since PSUs can go POOF! anytime.

Hardware fanatic! lol