Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 FAQ - no beta for 2008

NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

guildwars.com/products/guildwars2/gw2faq/

Will there be a subscription fee for Guild Wars 2?

Nope. Like the originalGuild Wars, there will be no subscription fee for Guild Wars 2. You just buy the game and play it online without paying a monthly fee.

Will Guild Wars 2 be an MMO?

Yes. Guild Wars 2 provides a massive, online persistent world.

How is Guild Wars 2 different from other MMOs?

While Guild Wars 2 adds a persistent world, it retains the unique nature of the original game including a strong narrative, extensive instanced gameplay, an anti-grind design philosophy, and strong support for competitive play.

Will Guild Wars 2 have non-human playable races?

Absolutely! In addition to humans, players will be able to create, customize, and play asura, charr, norn, and sylvari characters.

• The conquerors of Ascalon, the charr are ferocious, warmongering creatures—the intractable foes of humanity. Now, as greater dangers threaten their conquests, the charr legions marshal their war machines to meet their enemies with deadly force.

• The norn are half-giant brawlers from the frigid northern lands who can shapeshift into mighty bestial forms. They've been driven from their homeland by a force beyond reckon, and now regroup among the lost dwarven ruins of the Shiverpeaks.

• The asura, who once ruled the caves and tunnels below Tyria, are an advanced race of small stature and large intellect. Having emerged from the depths, the asura aim to rule the surface world with their powerful golems and razor-sharp wit.

• Not much is known of the sylvari, save that they are a race of sentient plant-beings, newly blossomed into the world. They are the youngest of the races, and are bound together by a common dream.

How will character progression work? Will you be raising the level cap?

Guild Wars 2 will have the kind of extensive character advancement appropriate to a persistent world RPG. It is our priority to avoid forcing players into the grind-based gameplay that too often accompanies a high level cap.

Also, to allow players the freedom to play together even if their friends are at a much higher (or lower) level, we are planning to implement a strong sidekicking system, similar to that used in City of Heroes.

We're applying this same philosophy to competitive play. Players will be able to engage in organized, balanced PvP (similar to GvG in the original Guild Wars) without needing to first level up characters, find equipment, or unlock skills. While inside the organized PvP area, all characters will be the same power level and will have access to the same equipment.

Will Guild Wars 2 be solo-able?

Yes. You will be able to advance your character to the maximum level without ever joining a group if you so desire. Most content will be designed in a solo-friendly way, though often with mechanisms for scaling up in difficulty when more players are involved. This will give players the option to experience the game whichever way they prefer.

At the same time, it is important for an MMO community to join together to overcome challenges. There will also be some areas in the game that require a coordinated group effort.

Can I play my original Guild Wars character in Guild Wars 2?

Because Guild Wars 2 is a whole new game with different professions and races, new technology, and expanded gameplay, it would not be possible to directly use an original Guild Wars character.

However, your original Guild Wars character names will be reserved for your use in Guild Wars 2. In addition, Guild Wars 2 recognizes the accomplishments commemorated by your original Guild Warscharacters in the Hall of Monuments and provides you with unique rewards to showcase those achievements.

What are the system requirements for Guild Wars 2?

The system requirements haven't been finalized, but just as with the originalGuild Wars series, we're committed to creating a beautiful game that will play great on mid-range gaming PCs.

When is Guild Wars 2 going to be released?

When it's finished. Seriously though, we haven't announced a specific release date yet, but when we do you can get those details and more right here on the official website.

When will there be a beta?

Although we publically alpha- and beta-tested the original Guild Wars while it was still in early development, with Guild Wars 2 we will commence beta testing closer to the game's release.

With that in mind, we will not start beta testing in 2008 as we had originally planned. Guild Wars 2 is a very large and ambitious game, and Guild Wars players rightfully have very high expectations of its quality. We want players to be absolutely blown away by the game the first time they experience it.

To stay up-to-date with the latest information about Guild Wars 2 and the beta test, be sure to sign up for the Guild Wars newsletter.

Comments

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

I personally didn't think there would be one anyway. We haven't heard much from the team, so it can't be so far into development that it's ready for beta testing yet. I'd rather its release get pushed back far than they release it without it being finished properly.

• Lonesamurai1Lonesamurai1 Member Posts: 1,210

When will it be released?

"When it's finished!"

Thats good enough for me... 

imageimage

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Originally posted by Lonesamurai1

"When it's finished!"

Quoted For Truth. My hopes is that they will stick to this and no release an unfinished game consisting of more bugs than I got posts... Apart from that I think the post could be renamed to simply Guild Wars 2 FAQ as much of the other information is also important and not just the fact that there won't be no beta 2008. The most of the information is old and I knew of it already, but it doesn't prevent me from getting enthusiastic every time I read about; my anticipation for this is huge.

• xephonicsxephonics Member UncommonPosts: 672
    Originally posted by Martie

"Extensive instanced Gameplay"

may as well shoot me now.

Yeah that is what made me quit GW to begin with.  It was instanced to the point of not being a true mmo (to me it was not a mmo, so don't argue this, it is my opinion).

My god has horns.... nah, I don't think he is real either.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    Originally posted by Martie

"Extensive instanced Gameplay"

"Extensive" does not necessarily mean "overused." They aren't going with a persistent world for no reason. I can actually think of some awesome things they could do by combining instances with persistence.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Originally posted by Lonesamurai1

"When it's finished!"

Good call and that's the way it should be. I still wonder if they are going to be at PAX and Leipzig this year though. 

• BattleFelonBattleFelon Member UncommonPosts: 483

I imagine they'll at least have a big presence at PAX - after all ArenaNet is located in the Seattle area and have had a booth set up for the past few years.

I also imagine that as we get closer to the release of GW 2 next year, there will be a promo weekend for at least all current Guild Wars players. Similar to the events they held for Nightfall and Factions.

I'm really interested to hear any news coming out of E3.

• Oh, that's kind of a dissapointment, but I guess that's better then it being put out to early and have very little content. I'm not really prepared to wait till 2010 for the game, but I guess I have no choice. I think it will be very good if they can do it right.