Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ugly warhammer screenshots

I find the screenshots on the warhammer website really ugly. Take the screens from WoW or LotR which are more vibrant, just better.  The warhammer screens miss 'sfeer' (Dutch word, didnt know the correct english word).

Am I the only one who feels the same?

Comments

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

I dunno, its a different atmosphere than WoW or LOTRO.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

In short - NO

However I am slightly confused since I saw some really WoW like graghics on you tube and screenshots that look quite ....well crap.  Then I have seen some other screen shots that look pretty sweet.

I figure since the game has been in production for so long they have upgraded the graghics in stages so you may be seeing screen shots that are 12 months old.  I have seen people posting that they are in beta and the game looks just as good as any other MMO and quite gritty.

Hopefully see for ourselves soon!

Mind you after playing AoC on max settings it will take a lot to beat the graghics in that game

• sonicsixsonicsix Member UncommonPosts: 66

I would play a MMO with Commander Keen style graphics if the gameplay was superb!

I would not play a MMO that had outstanding, amazing graphics if the game was no fun.

• TheSheikhTheSheikh Member Posts: 804
    Originally posted by hbosman

I find the screenshots on the warhammer website really ugly. Take the screens from WoW or LotR which are more vibrant, just better.  The warhammer screens miss 'sfeer' (Dutch word, didnt know the correct english word).

Post some of the screenshots you are disappointed in so that we can explain the reasons behind those screens looking mediocre and outdated.

STOP WHINING!

• gamerman98gamerman98 Member UncommonPosts: 807

I dont find anything wrong with the WAR screens at all...im looking forward to the release.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Originally posted by sonicsix

I would play a MMO with Commander Keen style graphics if the gameplay was superb!
    I would not play a MMO that had outstanding, amazing graphics if the game was no fun.

Totally agree but understand this is not the 1990's anymore. Blizzard was was able to get away with it because expectations were low. Now that the gaming expectations are much higher people don't settle for less anymore either.  Unless they delay the release I think what we are seeing is what people are getting graphics and gameplay wise. Wether people feel it is good or not it is up to them to decide.

• hbosmanhbosman Member Posts: 107
    Originally posted by TheSheikh

Post some of the screenshots you are disappointed in so that we can explain the reasons behind those screens looking mediocre and outdated.

No need to post them here.. they are on the warhammer website. http://www.warhammeronline.com/screenshots/index.php

I like landscape screenshots so Ill use that as example. I am looking at the January 31 section, 3th picture (some trees with a church). I find that a very ugly screen for example.

• hbosmanhbosman Member Posts: 107
    Originally posted by SaintViktor

Originally posted by sonicsix

Totally agree but understand this is not the 1990's anymore. Blizzard was was able to get away with it because expectations were low. Now that the gaming expectations are much higher people don't settle for less anymore either.  Unless they delay the release I think what we are seeing is what people are getting graphics and gameplay wise. Wether people feel it is good or not it is up to them to decide.

I disagree... in trying to make the game look more 'real' they are in fact making it more ugly. Blizzard is one of the few companies who understands this. Just look at most WoW screens, they just look great... alive...

Why do you think retro gaming is growing? Great gameplay

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287

Everything I saw looked fine...frankly.  What I saw was pleasing enough to the eye, and easy enough on the processing.  For a game that intends to roll with PvP as its focus...I think thats the best plan.  Plus, by using such an engine as its foundation...they open themselves up to more users while still allowing for better rendering options to come along for users with higher machines.

In other words:

Start low, shoot high.  That way the bullets hit everybody.  I don't find that limiting at all...I think its a great way to increase their options in lieu of forcing them into a niche audience.  If you want to BE in that niche audience...well...I honestly think that you have a long wait ahead of you.  Until we make some very LARGE improvements to both home PC and provider service...I don't see it being a smart ideal.  As it stands, it already takes a fairly costly machine to run THAT well.  For the specs you need to run WoW flawlessly (no lag, EVER) you could have been playing far more beautiful single player games without a hitch.  MMO's just consume more than those do...and its not really market-smart to do it up big and pretty.

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708
    No need to post them here.. they are on the warhammer website. http://www.warhammeronline.com/screenshots/index.php
    I like landscape screenshots so Ill use that as example. I am looking at the January 31 section, 3th picture (some trees with a church). I find that a very ugly screen for example.

So you took the picture from the oldest section with no lighting engine and set at low resolution from a game in beta that is still getting polished...

...wow. Well your right the game sucks. Guess all that time I have spent in the beta is just for nothing Im glad we have your informed opinion here.

/sarcasmoff

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• DraccanDraccan Member Posts: 1,050

The only thing that matters to me is the fluidity of the gameplay and the depth of the experience. Sure nice graphics is good, but look at the failure called barbAge of Conan; nice graphics, nothing else.

All I want is to be thrilled while playing, Not just for starter areas, but for the whole game.

And to be more specific: pvp is really important. AoC failed to deliver that despite all the hype.

So WAR looks damn fine to me (and I like the graphics personally)..

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787

OK I do kind of agree with the OP about that particular screenshot. It does look rather crap actually. There are quite a lot of screenshots in there (the ones put in for this year I mean) that do indeed look rather ugly.

However it may well be a different matter once the game is up and running and we can see it in action properly then. Until then I will reserve my judgement.

But yeah....ermm....going by the screenshots of WAR I'm not totally overjoyed......although some of the monster and character designs look quite nice. It does seem to lack the artistic style that allowed WoW to get away with its basic graphics though.

• TheSheikhTheSheikh Member Posts: 804

Ok then, if you don't want to I will explain without your examples.

The screenshots you will find on the Warhammer site do not have the following.

- Anti-aliasing

- Lighting

- High Res Textures

If you want to see some good (high res/lighting/anti-aliasing) screenshots you will either have to find some sites that have them, or wait until they start using them in beta.

The beta currently uses low system settings, so what you see is the bottom wrung on the graphical ladder.

I can recommend these few videos that are in HD and show off higher quality graphics.

These videos DO have the following

- Lighting (not the final system)

- Anti-aliasing

http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/748723/warhammer-online/videos/environments_062008.html

http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/748723/warhammer-online-age-of-reckoning/videos/looks_dangerous_062008.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/35508.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/35504.html

STOP WHINING!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Played it at D3, the graphic is a lot better than Wow, but about the same quality as in LOTRO, 'cept the avatars are better. It don't have a chanse against AoC on the graphics part if you just are concerned about that.

But having good graphics comes to a price. If you want really good graphics in a uppcoming game, buy Guildwars 2 (or maybe spellborn, what I seen so far of it looks quite interesting) or AoC. WAR is all about PvP and fighting, not about graphics.

Still, I wasn't so impressed, it felt a little to much like wow for my taste, even though it had it's intresting points. D3 was this winter however so the game might change quite a bit 'for release.

• bmcinvaillebmcinvaille Member Posts: 209

They look good to me the normal animations are smooth the wow ones are really jagged since its older (the characters I mean). The game looks fine to me you gotta see this is universe its in also. If WOW came out looking like AOC I think people would be like WTF the cartoony style and such fits. The stuff looks good and smooth to me some older pics did look ugly compared to newer stuff.

But yeah I would compare it more to LOTRO but LOTRO a year ago was considered a beautiful game and still is. Look how many problems alot of folks had with AOC because of the high graphics the thing is they wanna make it accessible for alot of computers to get more players. Thats the thing with computer games companies alot of times want to make them so more people can play without a need for an upgrade. They are trying for alof of subscribers and such figure they want those people to be able to play the way they want.

I mean I don't want a game so high in quality I can play alone but then when I am with people I lag and such so bad its not fun anymore. One other reason WOW is so popular its accesible to a wide range of people.

Anyway in the end the graphics are fine I like them personally. But I am sure when all the eye candy is turned on it will be fine.

• UniveUnive Member Posts: 133

Well I think they look terrible, just going to put that out there. Posting it on the Warhammer forum wont get you anyone with the same thought. I guess it did get you me though. Mostly every review ive read of this game from experts and not fanbois getting "hands on" they say they have taken to much from WoW and polished it.  Obviously the forgot about polishing the graphics but im not interested in WoW v2.  One guy even went as far as and I quote saying.. "Even the loading screen looked like WoW and the music reminded me of WoW." I lol'd

• gropheugropheu Member Posts: 34

WE WANT PVP, not graphics with lag. And the graphics are great  the way they are!

Originally posted by Unive

Well I think they look terrible, just going to put that out there. Posting it on the Warhammer forum wont get you anyone with the same thought. I guess it did get you me though. Mostly every review ive read of this game from experts and not fanbois getting "hands on" they say they have taken to much from WoW and polished it.  Obviously the forgot about polishing the graphics but im not interested in WoW v2.  One guy even went as far as and I quote saying.. "Even the loading screen looked like WoW and the music reminded me of WoW." I lol'd

Link me to this as everything I have read from review sites getting early hands on and such say it looks great and its coming along nicely and such. The people I have read who got to play at GamersDay and such and other events say its wonderful and they couldn't get enough of it. I have no reviews that said the loading screen and such was like WOW. Please link me to this article or articles.

• shoudenshouden Member UncommonPosts: 22

"Even the loading screen looked like WoW and the music reminded me of WoW." I lol'd

This is the loading screen:

http://tinyurl.com/63sqtx

The only thing different is that it says Beta wot is closed in the upper left corner. How that compares at all to WOW I cannot fathom. I can't comment on your friends music opinions but from what I have heard from vids online the music is distinctly different from WOW. To each his own though.

• jzuskajzuska Member Posts: 418

100% sure the OP is a troll. But I just like saying over and over again, I love the graphics I think they are beautiful.

Ithink some of you need to take a class in 3D modeling. And then try to get multiple 3D models animating at the same time. And then try it from all over the world connecting to a single server.

There is a reason reduced polygon count games look better. If you think a game like Eq2 Vanguard or AOC will ever looks as smoothly rendered as WoW or WAR you are clearly insane. This does not have to do with just YOUR pc. It has to do with everyone elses, the internet, the network, the servers, and your eventually PC.

You think "Photo-Realistic" games look better. I think they look far more fake. I love when my EQ2/VG/AOC  toon runs into a wall and there is no reaction. I am pretty sure his spine snapped in half.

Originally posted by jzuska

100% sure the OP is a troll. But I just like saying over and over again, I love the graphics I think they are beautiful.
    Ithink some of you need to take a class in 3D modeling. And then try to get multiple 3D models animating at the same time. And then try it from all over the world connecting to a single server.
    There is a reason reduced polygon count games look better. If you think a game like Eq2 Vanguard or AOC will ever looks as smoothly rendered as WoW or WAR you are clearly insane. This does not have to do with just YOUR pc. It has to do with everyone elses, the internet, the network, the servers, and your eventually PC.
    You think "Photo-Realistic" games look better. I think they look far more fake. I love when my EQ2/VG/AOC  toon runs into a wall and there is no reaction. I am pretty sure his spine snapped in half.

Yep I totally agree with most of what he said.....well.....apart from the spine snapping bit which didnt make much sense lol. Also the bit about the OP being a troll is bollocks too. He posted his opinion.....whats wrong with that? Will everyone stop calling people trolls please......its REALLY boring!

But yeah simple and almost cartoony graphics seem to work well in online games.

• VisaxVisax Member Posts: 76

The graphics look good enough for me...

_____

Wow!......No not WoW.....I mean....ummm.....yikes!!!!!

OK that looks damn good to me. Thanks for that screenshot. Anyone that complains about that is a bit mental.

• LimitLimit Member Posts: 56

aion on the crytek engine looks better tbh

Originally posted by Limit

aion on the crytek engine looks better tbh

All these games are gonna look different. All the games go for different looks. So to me WAR looks perfectly acceptable.