Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan having any effect on LOTR population ?

13»

Comments

• SharkypalSharkypal Member Posts: 1,137

Originally posted by Samira24

I think one influence can be spotted already. The forum activtity of LOTRO forums has dropped alot since AoC launch.
    The official LOTRO forums and also this one here has far fewer new threads and posts than it had before AoC. No idea how it is on the servers, because i quit the game.
    Sam.

No doubt because people are actually PLAYING LotRo as opposed to complaining endlessly about the many problems AoC seems to be having or defending it to the point of stupidity.

LotRo will not lose many people to AoC because for the most part, they are two entirely different games that cater to two very different groups of gamers. 

Thankfully , the only people that AoC will lure away from AoC are the people most of us never wanted here in the first place; The e-p**n waving, griefers. Good riddance to them.

S

• SteamRangerSteamRanger Member UncommonPosts: 920

Yes it has.  I haven't played LOTRO since beta and playing through the Early Access of Age of Conan reminded me of the care and devotion that Turbine have for this game, unlike Funcom, who have deliberately deceived their first customers for AoC. In short, I've reactivated my subscription ( the anniversary special helped here) and I'm enjoying it.

Thanks, Turbine, for showing us how it should be done.

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
    "People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

• SharkypalSharkypal Member Posts: 1,137

Originally posted by LordDraekon

Yes it has.  I haven't played LOTRO since beta and playing through the Early Access of Age of Conan reminded me of the care and devotion that Turbine have for this game, unlike Funcom, who have deliberately deceived their first customers for AoC. In short, I've reactivated my subscription ( the anniversary special helped here) and I'm enjoying it.

Indeed, the deception is what annoys me the most. FUcom advertised the game as "The first MMO to support DX10 at launch". This was a snidey jibe at LotRo, and a falsehood that FUcom were still preaching a week b4 launch when they obviously KNEW that there would be no DX10 at launch. Sure DX10 support is no big deal, BUT why lie about it? (Simply put, because there are some people who may not have pre ordered if they had known it wasnt in)

I wont even go into the whole "early access fiasco". Its the principle. FUcom clearly doesn't have any.

S

• DonnieBrascoDonnieBrasco Member Posts: 1,757

Well.... I have a suspicion that AoC will eventually have a positive effect on LOTRO's population....

Check this poll:)

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/187060

It kind of tells a lot....

DB

Denial makes one look a lot dumber than he/she actually is.

• VortigonVortigon Member UncommonPosts: 723

YES, AOC is having an effect on LOTR, its causing the population to rise due to people cancelling their AOC accounts and looking for an alternative polished game.

The more boxes AOC sell the more dissapointed players will come to LOTR. 

• COORSCOORS Member UncommonPosts: 353
    Originally posted by LordDraekon

I also just reactivated my LOTRO account after giving AOC a good month's play. It's not a bad game, but all it has really is a fun combat system and quests. Really not much more at this point in time.

Still have my AOC account and will give it a go here and there but, I'm enjoying LOTRO again. It's an extremely well done game.

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

I hope both games will be succesfull and stay that way.. they are both good games (even if I prefer LotrO)

Why must we hate eachother? :)

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• DonnieBrascoDonnieBrasco Member Posts: 1,757
    Originally posted by Papadam

I hope both games will be succesfull and stay that way.. they are both good games (even if I prefer LotrO)

Why must we hate eachother? :)

I have seen and felt no hate... I posted this link because I actually bough AOC, played for almost a month and liked it.... up until lvl 20 its an excellent game. Sadly, it's full of bugs, and has less and less content as you level up. So I put my sub on hold. We'll see.

Lotro, on the other hand, does not stop to please me :) even after 1,5 year!

DB

Denial makes one look a lot dumber than he/she actually is.

• VagelispVagelisp Member UncommonPosts: 448

Lotro has nothing to fear from AOC. Actually lotro has nothing to fear from any released beta mmorpg. I play AOC, i enjoy some of its features but unfortunately many perfomance problems and serious bugs are enough to ruin my experience.

If you like Full PVP along with an arcade like combat system (warriors only) you will love AOC. But when it comes to perfomance cross your fingers, since many people with good pc configurations are unable to enjoy the game.

• AlienShirtAlienShirt Member UncommonPosts: 621

If anything it is INCREASING the population of LOTRO.

• ChainspellChainspell Member Posts: 55
    Originally posted by admriker4

LOTR Ive found seems to have more adult gamers than most MMO's.

ffxi has more adults that play. some in their 40s or 50s, some are married but overall around 25 yrs old. ull get laughed at if u act like a kid in that game.

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697

I came back to LOTRO because of AoC.  I wanted to love AoC, but there was so much broken or not included at launch that I canceled my subscription before I had to pay for a month.   There are a LOT of people who were excited at the promise of AoC, that also left before paying that first month.  So, if you saw a drop in server pop when AoC launched, you will probably see a lot of those people coming back.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Actually, among X-fire users, which is admittedly is a small and likely very skewed sample of LoTRO users (X-fire is a lot more popular among hardcore PC gamers than I would expect it to be in the LoTRO crowd), AoC had no effect whatsoever on LoTRO usage patterns in the last month:

www.xfire.com/games/lotro/The_Lord_of_the_Rings_Online_Shadows_of_Angmar/

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.