Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Getting back in...but have some questions

UbinusColUbinusCol Member Posts: 30

Hey everyone! I used to play GW and rerolled all the time, so I never really stuck with a character or got too far in the game. But anyway, I want to get back into it and am wondering, well, where to start.

I have Prophesies and Factions, and don't have the money to get Nightfall or EOTN right now.

I want to get back in relatively quickly so I can move past the areas I explored before.

I almost finished the Prophesies campaign with a Me/E but got bored of her.

Now, after doing some thinking, I've decided to roll a Monk as a main if I start with Prophesies, or an Assassin if I start with Factions. The problem is that I can't decide between the campaigns.

Does anyone have some advice on either or both of the professions and the campaigns? Which starting route would be more beneficial in the long run? I already played Prophesies partially a whole bunch before, and gave Factions I try too. I'm not against going Prophesies again, as long as I can do it relatively quickly and move on past the stuff I know. Factions seems kind of cool too, but leveling seems to be TOO quick.

Thanks a bunch for any thoughts! Cheers!

Comments

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

Welcome back. There's two issues here. The first is that you want to advance quickly through Prophecies, which is much longer and slower than Factions and as a result you will find yourself playing content you've played before. However, unlike Factions, the PvE campaign is actually fun to play through, meaning that you're going to have to decide whether you want to play fun but old content, or content that you haven't played but most people don't really enjoy.

Sure, the Factions campaign isn't grossly bad, but the devs spent far more time on PvP than PvE in that campaign. Most would choose Prophecies over Factions any day. It doesn't really matter which you choose, as either way you'll be playing and racking up game experience in the long run. Factions, of course, does offer the Assassin and Ritualist professions, which Prophecies doesn't.

So in the end you need to decide between playing it slow with Prophecies or rushing through with Factions. My personal advice is to play Prophecies, finish it, then buy Nightfall if you have the cash and get some Heroes. Once you're done with that try your hand at Factions/Eye of the North.

• TalynTalyn Member UncommonPosts: 587

Originally posted by UbinusCol
    I'm not against going Prophesies again, as long as I can do it relatively quickly and move on past the stuff I know. Factions seems kind of cool too, but leveling seems to be TOO quick.

Seems like opposing views there: you want to be able to rush through most of Prophecies but Factions levels you too quickly?

Here's a huge tip: levels don't matter. The point of Factions (and Nightfall) leveling you fast is the rest of the game is level 20 content. The 1-20 stuff on the "noob island" is essentially the tutorial part of the game and playing through the campaign's back story. Prophecies is the only one of the three campaigns that takes you through the main story while you level.

Also keep in mind you can bring your Mesmer over to Factions, skipping all that leveling a new character stuff. Unless you forgot to link the two campaigns to a single account.

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

As mentioned before: Prophecies is the by far slowest campaign and Factions the fastest - and you want to rush through the slow one and think the fast one is too slow... It's sad that you don't got money to get Nightfall since it got a level of speediness between Prophecies and Factions, which sounds like it would fit you perfectly. My suggestion would be to play the Prophecies campaign as it's much more entertaining than the Factions one.

A little question regarding your choice of profession too: when you decided to pick Monk were you then aware of if you're a good one or not? Many decide to take their character into PvP later and if you bring a Monk you will soon realize that it's the profession requiring most skill of all; to keep three other players alive while facing off against a team made all around shutting you down requires skill. Monking can be trained, but in the end you'll have to have it "in you". I don't say you shouldn't play Monk, only that if you're not good at it you may come across problems mainly in PvE, but also PvP.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

To be honest, I don't think you should let profession selection worry you too much. If you choose Monk because you want to play monk, then play one, as the game is about having fun. It's not a chore.

In PvE you shouldn't experience many problems at all. If you find monking hard in PvP, just roll a PvP character of another profession that you find easier to play. That's the beauty of Guild Wars.

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Originally posted by Lydon
    To be honest, I don't think you should let profession selection worry you too much. If you choose Monk because you want to play monk, then play one, as the game is about having fun. It's not a chore.In PvE you shouldn't experience many problems at all. If you find monking hard in PvP, just roll a PvP character of another profession that you find easier to play. That's the beauty of Guild Wars.

While I agree it may be good to be a decent monk if you are going to enjoy playing it. Being terrible at what you do has a tendency to not be very fun. But if what you want to play is a monk then don't let my previous comment prevent you from doing so.