Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I need a new computer

I plan to play WoW on release, but before I get that i definitley need a new comp to enjoy it. I have 256 mb of ram 2.0 processor and some 64mb video card, and no it doesnt play anything nvidia can play so it really sucks. Can some one point me in the right direction, because right now i have a customized computer off www.cyberpowerinc.com . But I would imagine there is a way cheaper way to get a computer of that quality, can some one build me a computer off new egg, like online, or osmething like that. Because I don't really know too much about computers, thanks in advanced.

Comments

• sharkdaddysharkdaddy Member Posts: 22

i would say get atleast 1 gig of memory. if you really want a gaming system you need 2 spend some cash. i just built one cost me $2500.00 and thats with a mid-grade video card and 1 gig of pc-3200 memory.

If you really want a nice gaming system that will play games like a champ 2 maybe 3 years down the line you will need 2 spend 3 grand.

check out www.falcon-nw.com

www.alienware.com

do yourself a favor spend the cash. right now is a perfect time 2 get a new kick ass pc, alot of new upgrades just came out. It will be sometime before new upgrades beat whats out now.

Sharkdaddy

Sharkdaddy

• rathmarathma Member UncommonPosts: 3,786

Originally posted by jubbincake
    I plan to play WoW on release, but before I get that i definitley need a new comp to enjoy it. I have 256 mb of ram 2.0 processor and some 64mb video card, and no it doesnt play anything nvidia can play so it really sucks. Can some one point me in the right direction, because right now i have a customized computer off www.cyberpowerinc.com . But I would imagine there is a way cheaper way to get a computer of that quality, can some one build me a computer off new egg, like online, or osmething like that. Because I don't really know too much about computers, thanks in advanced.

Don't spend 3 grand if you are just planning on playing WoW. Your processor is fine. Add a stick of memory, and get a 9800 pro for dirt cheap and that will do more than fine.

http://www.OriginNow.com - Official Fanboi

EverQuest II : Level 20 Paladin - Antonia Bayle Server
  • jubbincakejubbincake Member Posts: 134
    The problem is, my computer doesnt have an AGP slot, its fairly old. And the power supply is like 200 so i can tuse any of the pci cards. So i just decided that its time to get a new computer, im still up for some one helping me build a computer.

• JennysMindJennysMind Member UncommonPosts: 869
    I would agree that you need a new computer. Probably within a year, there won't be pci slots anymore on motherboards. AGP slots are going to disappear too, Let alone the ATX form factor for cases. BTX will be the norm. I would go ahead and purchase a PCI-Express computer.

• OlausOlaus Member Posts: 53

Why not get one of these...if you are stinking rich that is :D

http://www.alienware.com/ALX_pages/choose_alx.aspx

I am going to buy myself a new computer also this fall and there are lots of things to consider:

AMD/Intel

ATI/Geforce

...and so on. Its lots of information to dig in to but luckily I solve the problem by having a bunch of knowledgeble friends buying new comp at the same time which also will give me a better price.

----------------------------------------
    Playing: Zangbandtk :)
    Played: AO, CoH, DAoC, Horizons, Planetside, SWG
    Tested: Lineage II, AC2...and more

Favorite MMO so far: DAoC

----------------------------------------
    Playing: Rogue
    Played: AO, CoH, DAoC, EQII, Horizons, Planetside, SWG
    Tested: AC2, Lineage II, Vanguard, WoW...and more

• Nizze78Nizze78 Member Posts: 67

I would really recommend a uppgrade pack instead of a new computer.

Your CPU is fine. Upgrade ram to 1 gig. And also a new graphic card. Radeon 9800 is a great card and you wont need a pro.

The good thing with a uppgrade pack is that you get a motherboard and maor ram plus a cpu and a fan. Also you won't have to worry about compability since the all the hardware that comes in the pack will work with each other.

I am in europe so I don't really know any good site for you to check out. But I usally use this one www.pricerunner.com You only have to search for what you want and it will show you a list from the cheapest to the most exopensive. It will also give you reviews of what people who has got the equipment before thought about what they bought. ::::20::

Nizze78

Nizze78

• tephystephys Member Posts: 128

If you don't want to go all the way up to 1 gig Ram, 512mb is perfectly fine. I have that and have all the current settings on high and no graphical lag even in the outdoor areas. But you do need a good graphics card though.

• jubbincakejubbincake Member Posts: 134
    I just said, that my compute ris pretty much un-upgradable. But can some one tell me wich is better, intel or AMD. Because i have heard alot about those and im considering buy a computer with one.

• JennysMindJennysMind Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Right now, I'd go with the AMD 64. It is the only 64-bit chip on the market for the consumer and not server based.

• WeenusWeenus Member Posts: 42

I just got a new computer off of www.cyberpowerinc.com and i love it, not a to mention i got a great price id say.

specs:

512ddr ram (i upgraded it later to a gig)

ati x800 pro

athlon 64 3200+

80 gig hd

with tax and shipping for 1300$, if thats not a deal i dont no what is. I wouldnt be so afraid to buy from cyberpower, there great.

• ih8phatheadsih8phatheads Member Posts: 33
    WoW you do need a new computer