Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If SOE did a Pre Cu classic server would you rejoin?

Comments

• newmoon002newmoon002 Member Posts: 50
    Originally posted by audioedge

if they make a precu server im levelling rm/cm in an instant.... lets see how many then thought swg was so balanced and star warsy... haha

It's painfully obvious that you didn't read the entire thread. no one ever said that the game was perfect. infact the in my OP I stated a certain amount of balancing was needed.  if they had put the time and effort into balancing this game, instead of pulling the wool over it's player bases eyes this game would be unbelievably great, and would definitely put WOW to shame in terms of shear numbers.  This is starwars, a 30+ year Intellectual Property that only gets stronger as the years go on. Hell we have people in the world who have changed there religion to Jedi. People who have changed there name to Han Solo, and Obi Wan Kenobi.......How the hell could SOE Screw this game up soo bad.   

• nope i didnt read entire thread, and my post was a pedantic and sarcastic one (hard to get that across via writing text)

i agree 100% with you though.

some class balancing, some classes getting updates (anyone remember the poor smuggler community) and some additional content would have made this the ultimate mmorpg

ive yet to find a game where you can customise your character, find/mine resources, craft items and interact on such a high social scene (cantinas, medical centres, waiting for shuttle)

and for the record id resub again

Originally posted by audioedge

nope i didnt read entire thread, and my post was a pedantic and sarcastic one (hard to get that across via writing text)
    i agree 100% with you though.
    some class balancing, some classes getting updates (anyone remember the poor smuggler community) and some additional content would have made this the ultimate mmorpg
    ive yet to find a game where you can customise your character, find/mine resources, craft items and interact on such a high social scene (cantinas, medical centres, waiting for shuttle)
    and for the record id resub again

my bad my attack radar was on high alert =).  Ahh I almost forgot the feeling of rolling into a starport and seeing that shuttle take off, and you knew you had to wait. I cursed to myself everytime. But on the other hand seeing that shuttle landing after just buying your ticket was a great feeling =) Damn I miss those days

• ObeeObee Member Posts: 1,550
    Originally posted by newmoon002

Originally posted by War_Dancer

Originally posted by Obee

Without a major personnel change at SOE, along with a fundamental change in the company's attitude toward their customers (something that won't happen without the personnel changes), I won't spend a single cent on any product SOE earns any revenue from.  So to answer the question, no, I wouldn't  join an SOE classic server.

I'm quoting Obee cause he just said my stance on SOE perfectly

Again, to say this only hurts yourself.  I'm a starwars fan, i'm not a fan of little elves in tights , and a gigantic norse swinging a sword. I have been without my game for too long now, and I think it's high time we get it back.  The thing is they can't just put a heaping pile of Bantha Poodoo in a starwars box and expect me to go out and buy (which is the reason my DVD Starwars Saga is without Episode I the phantom Menace). Soo staying and Paying for this NGE garbage is completely out of the question.

Not spending money on SOE products does nothing to hurt me.  Having the old game back is not enough for me to ignore how SOE does business.  The contempt that SOE's employees and management show towards their customers is appalling.

• Ascension08Ascension08 Member Posts: 1,980

Unlike Mythic who is making a classic server for DAoC, SOE probably can't figure out that they made a mistake and even if they did I don't think they'd put the money or time into making a classic server. /shrug, I haven't played the game Pre-CU or whatever but I kind of wish I had. Sounds like alot of people are grieving over the loss.

--------------------------------------
    A human and an Elf get captured by Skaven. The rat-men are getting ready to shoot the first hostage with Dwarf-made guns when he yells, "Earthquake!" The naturally nervous Skaven run and hide from the imaginary threat. He escapes. The Skaven regroup and bring out the Elf. Being very smart, the Elf has figured out what to do. When the Skaven get ready to shoot, the Elf, in order to scare them, yells, "Fire!"

Order of the White Border.

• Redline748Redline748 Member Posts: 3

I would love to join a pre cu server, and would be even happier if it had nothing to do with soe

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

SOE has said many times they do not have all the pre CU code so you are just wasting your time, it will never  ever happen.

• Redline748Redline748 Member Posts: 3

dont know how I'm wasting my time by saying I would play it if it was there.

anyway just cos soe cant do it, dont mean it cant be done

• hubertgrovehubertgrove Member Posts: 1,141
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

SOE has said many times they do not have all the pre CU code so you are just wasting your time, it will never  ever happen.

LOL. SOE says a lot of things.

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

If SOE told me the sun would rise in the East tomorrow morning, I'd still observe it myself to verify.

Because SOE cannot be trusted to tell the truth.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• War_DancerWar_Dancer Member Posts: 941

Originally posted by War_Dancer

Originally posted by Obee

Without a major personnel change at SOE, along with a fundamental change in the company's attitude toward their customers (something that won't happen without the personnel changes), I won't spend a single cent on any product SOE earns any revenue from.  So to answer the question, no, I wouldn't  join an SOE classic server.

I'm quoting Obee cause he just said my stance on SOE perfectly

Again, to say this only hurts yourself.  I'm a starwars fan, i'm not a fan of little elves in tights , and a gigantic norse swinging a sword. I have been without my game for too long now, and I think it's high time we get it back.  The thing is they can't just put a heaping pile of Bantha Poodoo in a starwars box and expect me to go out and buy (which is the reason my DVD Starwars Saga is without Episode I the phantom Menace). Soo staying and Paying for this NGE garbage is completely out of the question.

We've seen exactly the attitude SoE has towards their players and how they treat them. Going back to that is what will end up hurting because all they've learnt from the NGE is to try and spin it better next time.

Anyway I'm not a Star Wars fan

• **?sephiroth**?sephiroth Member UncommonPosts: 201

Considering no other MMO for me has come close to being as good as SWG was.

I would.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

• EvilsamEvilsam Member UncommonPosts: 200

No game after pre-cu has come any where close to the potential of SWG had.It has left every other game i've trird sorely lacking.

With that said..they screwed us over majorly,TWICE,lied to us uncountable times,and stole our money for a bogus expantion..

NO F'ING WAY IN HELL I'D GO BACK

Originally posted by **?sephiroth

Considering no other MMO for me has come close to being as good as SWG was.

I would.

This is my sentiment exactly.  The original swg was soo leaps and bounds above anything that has ever been out maybe it was doomed for failure.  Soo many lemings out here with the cookie cutter cut and paste mentality, maybe the masses didn't want something different and original.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

What I would like to see is someone taking the engine and rebuilding it from scratch into their own game ,I would also like to see it attached to no I.P.'s,  that would force the revamping of the game into a casual one.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Malickiebloo

What I would like to see is someone taking the engine and rebuilding it from scratch into their own game ,I would also like to see it attached to no I.P.'s,  that would force the revamping of the game into a casual one.

it would be a good game, but a far cry from the swoosh of a swoop bike, or a hum of a lightsaber, or seeing and fearing a band of Imperial storm Troopers, the dreaded Rancor....you get my drift I'm sure. Starwars is what we need, and we need it now.

• GrandAmGrandAm Member Posts: 404

it would be a good game, but a far cry from the swoosh of a swoop bike, or a hum of a lightsaber, or seeing and fearing a band of Imperial storm Troopers, the dreaded Rancor....you get my drift I'm sure. Starwars is what we need, and we need it now.

I have an idea along this lines.

First, I know this would never happen, so please no flames necssary.  I know why it won't happen.

SOE will never shut this down unless a competing new SW MMO comes out.  They will let it sit in station pass indefinately.

LA will more than likely force the shut down if/when a new SW MMO comes and they don't want the competetion.

A certain project may mature around the launch of a new SW MMO.  At that time all the implied legal problems will occur.  And from what I have read the projecteers stand a chance to win.  This project is mandated F2P, not by choice.

If LA launches a new SW MMO  and the project matures, LA will have a tough time convincing many SW fans that play MMO's to pay for it when something free is available.

LA has two choices:

1.  Pusue legal action and spend money to risk failure.  If they win the project is open source and will continue to exist in some form.  If the fail they will have to live with that competetion forever in the MMO industry.

2.  LA actually gives the matured project sever operaters the right to charge a fee under contract that LA gets its cut.  This contract would be unilaterally written by LA.  If the operater wants to make a legal buck off the server they will have to do what LA wants.  If LA doesn't make it resonable or fair to the operater, LA runs the risk that the operater continuing with free subs.

LA has to decide the lesser of two evils.  One ultimately is better for fans.

Me personaly would love to play PRECU offically sanctioned by LA on private servers and pay fees.  The contracts can have stips on what private srervers can and can't do to players.  A better product would come from regular funds to operate.  They could even have payments made through the LA online store to the private servers (minus LA's cut of course).  Plus the idea of the code is gone will have no meaning because it was rewritten.

I could go on.

"Suddenly, thousands of Trekies whose heads are full of facts of things like the stardate when the Cardassians farted on Deep Space nine are irrlelevant." - hardcoremoviecritic

Thats a good point, however I think LA is so money Hungry I guarantee they would take the Developer to court.

• grimbojgrimboj Member Posts: 2,102

If they made it free for 2 months I would come check it out. I'm not bothered about an apology - I jus want my game back.

--
    Note: PlayNC will refuse to allow you access to your account if you forget your password and can't provide a scanned image of the product key for the first product you purchased..... LOL

• HastorHadronHastorHadron Member Posts: 187
    Originally posted by GrandAm

I have an idea along this lines.

First, I know this would never happen, so please no flames necssary.  I know why it won't happen.

SOE will never shut this down unless a competing new SW MMO comes out.  They will let it sit in station pass indefinately.

LA will more than likely force the shut down if/when a new SW MMO comes and they don't want the competetion.

A certain project may mature around the launch of a new SW MMO.  At that time all the implied legal problems will occur.  And from what I have read the projecteers stand a chance to win.  This project is mandated F2P, not by choice.

If LA launches a new SW MMO  and the project matures, LA will have a tough time convincing many SW fans that play MMO's to pay for it when something free is available.

LA has two choices:

1.  Pusue legal action and spend money to risk failure.  If they win the project is open source and will continue to exist in some form.  If the fail they will have to live with that competetion forever in the MMO industry.

2.  LA actually gives the matured project sever operaters the right to charge a fee under contract that LA gets its cut.  This contract would be unilaterally written by LA.  If the operater wants to make a legal buck off the server they will have to do what LA wants.  If LA doesn't make it resonable or fair to the operater, LA runs the risk that the operater continuing with free subs.

LA has to decide the lesser of two evils.  One ultimately is better for fans.

Me personaly would love to play PRECU offically sanctioned by LA on private servers and pay fees.  The contracts can have stips on what private srervers can and can't do to players.  A better product would come from regular funds to operate.  They could even have payments made through the LA online store to the private servers (minus LA's cut of course).  Plus the idea of the code is gone will have no meaning because it was rewritten.

I could go on.

I am sorry but my fear has always lucas arts has been okay with the other project as long as it is non-functional. The minute large numbers of people start playing and Lucas smells a profit, he will jump on it.

Even if LA did agree to let the operators make a legal, buck, then I think SOE would have the legal right to sue.

Again, I am sorry if I am incorrect, I am not a lawyer, but many companies in the past have pursued aggressive lawsuits (with less chances of winning) simply because they know the costs incurred by the defendants is often enough to make them bow out before any legal proceedings actually begin.

I still think the moment the other projects are in full swing, the guys at SWG will amazingly enough "find" the discarded code and introduce a classic server.

Maybe I am wrong, but the tort system seems to be stacked in favor of the corporation.

• GrandAmGrandAm Member Posts: 404

Hastor,

I agree with all your points made in response to my post, save one.

SOE will never magically find pre-cu code.  If LA allows SOE to continue to operate SWG after a new SW MMO comes out, it won't be pre-cu.  They will stick SWG in Station Pass permanently and let it rot.  It will become like MXO and PS.  Just filler for marketing purposes.

I seriously doubt SOE will spend one dime reinstating pre-cu.  They  know many of the players they alienated won't return anyways because they don't trust SOE.  They won't risk losing the current players.  They aren't going to shut down an existing SWG server to host a legacy server.  IMHO if they did shut down servers, it would be to just not maintain operation costs on the existing "dead" servers.  This of course would only happen if LA allows SOE to compete with a new SW MMO.

"Suddenly, thousands of Trekies whose heads are full of facts of things like the stardate when the Cardassians farted on Deep Space nine are irrlelevant." - hardcoremoviecritic

• lupisenparislupisenparis Member Posts: 185

lol, you guys think it would be impossible to revert back to a pre-cu classic server?  they did it with eq1 and that game came before swg.  NO I think it is impossible for YOU guys to give anything but hate. Someone give these guys a few beers and you guys would love to tell us all about it huh.

• Hoobley_deletedHoobley_deleted Member Posts: 677

It would all start out very well and good, but people wouldn't be happy if the game just went stagnant, they'd have to develop it somehow and it would just cause more trouble or the same trouble all over again as new things were implemented...

• lupisenparislupisenparis Member Posts: 185

eq1's roll back server is a success and they are in the process of starting another since it has progressed to almost the current expansions (they are unlockable).  You are telling me that it wont succeed or you would refuse?  If it was continuously pre-cu nothing more and nothing less, would that make you happy?

• RaztorRaztor Member Posts: 670

Nope, refuse to give SOE a single cent.