Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Naming Policy to be enforced?

One of my pet peeves is players rolling a toon on a roleplaying server, then naming it "Ihealu" or "mehealer" or "doodman", etc...  Just stupid joke names.

Is Mythic going to actively enforce this?  (might be hard to tell during beta, I understand)

Comments

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

I certainly hope so. Lame names in-game can totally ruin immersion for a lot of people.

I won't be naming a character Slampig for sure.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550
    Originally posted by Slampig

I certainly hope so. Lame names in-game can totally ruin immersion for a lot of people.

And I won't name mine "MrNipply ManBoobs".  Hehe, saw that somewhere; someone had used that as a name.

• TheSheikhTheSheikh Member Posts: 804
    Originally posted by pencilrick

One of my pet peeves is players rolling a toon on a roleplaying server, then naming it "Ihealu" or "mehealer" or "doodman", etc...  Just stupid joke names.
    Is Mythic going to actively enforce this?  (might be hard to tell during beta, I understand)

On a RP server yes, on a Core server no.

I don't remember where I read this, but I know I have.

I'll go look for the link..... *runs off into the darkness*

STOP WHINING!

Originally posted by TheSheikh

Originally posted by pencilrick

On a RP server yes, on a Core server no.

I don't remember where I read this, but I know I have.

I'll go look for the link..... *runs off into the darkness*

That's a good enough rule.

• TheSheikhTheSheikh Member Posts: 804

Also, you start by choosing only a single first name on creation. This name has to unique and cannot have a duplicate (like most other games).

Upon reaching level 10 you can obtain a last name, which does not have to be unique. So for example if you and your wife/kids are on an RP server and want to be a family, you can do so.

Or if you are part of the Ballsak Teabagger WAAAGH! for the greenskins, your entire guild can name themselves <firstname> Teabagger and have a grand time with identical surnames. (Core server of course)

STOP WHINING!

• kitsunegirlkitsunegirl Member Posts: 525

I hope it is too... I think Ive gotten somewhat inured to stupid names. But sometimes I really wish I could gank idiots with names like that. >.>

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

Aww... I was really hoping to bust out the Puge Henis or Hugh Jorgen.  Maybe I'll just stick to Lance Morningwood.

But in all seriousness I think the RP servers will have a strict naming policy while the regular ones might not as long as it's not racist, or contain some inappropriate language.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

As much as I hate those types of names, Hugh Jorgen always gives me the giggles.

• SoulSurferSoulSurfer Member UncommonPosts: 1,024

Some funny names I've seen in mmo's:

Slappynuts

Yerwifemykids

DirtySanchez

FilthyCarlos

Dooshbag

You get the picture.....

Cleveland Steamer...

*snerk*

• grunt187grunt187 Member CommonPosts: 956

the ever famous Hawood Jablome

The following statement is false
    The previous statement is true

• Hoobley_deletedHoobley_deleted Member Posts: 677
    Originally posted by Slampig

It strikes me that Slampig is a more than appropriate name for an Orc in the Warhammer world.

Names like Slampig wouldnt bother me in the context of Greenskins... its almost expected that they have nonsensical names...

• diaboyosdiaboyos Member Posts: 209

I was thinking the same thing.  Slampig seems to be in-line for a Greenskin's name.  But as for foolish names, I'm glad there will be enforcement on RP servers at least.  It's hard to be immersed in RPing otherwise, for me at least.  Seeing names like that ruin the atmosphere for me.

====================
    Remember man that passes by,
    as you are now so once was I.
    And as I am so must you be,
    prepare yourself to follow me.

• GangrenaGangrena Member Posts: 14

Well i completely dissagre with all of you guys, i'd rather see a name such as "Justin Case" instead of an unpronouzable, unmemorizable name as "Elthariewyn Glyfgreo" for example. At least with the first you may smile slightly.

But thats just my own opinion and I understand that it bothers some people in game.

• Hoobley_deletedHoobley_deleted Member Posts: 677
    Originally posted by Gangrena

Well i completely dissagre with all of you guys, i'd rather see a name such as "Justin Case" instead of an unpronouzable, unmemorizable name as "Elthariewyn Glyfgreo" for example. At least with the first you may smile slightly.
    But thats just my own opinion and I understand that it bothers some people in game.

I think your example of Justin Case is on a bit of a higher level than these guys are talking about. I remember seeing a Goblin Blood Mage in Vanguard called Hemogoblin, this is one of the cleverest names I've seen in an MMO to date. :)

Nohealz4u - Ipwnurface - Zdlkjfdrrrxxx <---- I beleive these are the types of things they are referring to.

So yeah, there are clever, witty names and then just, how shall we put it, plain retarded names?

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491

Stupid names are pretty bad for the RP of a game.  I hope they restrict them on both RP and core servers! 

How about a server called the "Jester" server as a dumping ground for players who will not follow the naming policy.  Not for first time or innocent violations, but for folks who stubbornly refuse to follow the game's naming policy and continue to irritate others and destroy immersion.

This way all the characters with silly names can be consolidated on one server to experience their own inane antics.

• Ascension08Ascension08 Member Posts: 1,980
    Originally posted by Stellos

Stupid names are pretty bad for the RP of a game.  I hope they restrict them on both RP and core servers! 

Yeah but some people are just plain uncreative or don't care about roleplaying, and there needs to be a place for them. I say just enforce a naming policy on the RP servers because what company wants potential subscribers turned away because they're forced to pick a certain name on every server? It's not smart money-wise.

--------------------------------------
    A human and an Elf get captured by Skaven. The rat-men are getting ready to shoot the first hostage with Dwarf-made guns when he yells, "Earthquake!" The naturally nervous Skaven run and hide from the imaginary threat. He escapes. The Skaven regroup and bring out the Elf. Being very smart, the Elf has figured out what to do. When the Skaven get ready to shoot, the Elf, in order to scare them, yells, "Fire!"

Order of the White Border.

• LocklainLocklain Member Posts: 2,154

Unfortunately it seems that gaming companies don't really care about enforcing the name policies.  Most enforce the rules for maybe a few months and then gradually slack off.

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand
    Originally posted by Locklain

Unfortunately it seems that gaming companies don't really care about enforcing the name policies.  Most enforce the rules for maybe a few months and then gradually slack off.

True, but I'd pay $5 more per month for a server in which this is enforced.

• RespyShuntRespyShunt Member Posts: 396

thatd be fine, i dont mind it either way.  None of my characters in any MMO ive done have had dumb names like that so i agree with you.  the guild wars naming system was cool with a first name last name thing, as well as the Sword of the new world system where you make a family name.  Itd be cool to have all toons on a certain server have the same last name, then just different first names.

• TookyGTookyG Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,115

Players can always find a way around naming filters.  Personally I'm more tired of seeing X in front of and behind a character's name than I am of seeing "Mr Hawtpants."  I can suspend my disbelief and say that perhaps Mr Hawtpants is his nickname.  However, what person has an nickname xXBrianXx?

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803
    Originally posted by Locklain

Naming policy inforcement can only be automated to a limited extent.

To actually have GMs/CSRs go into game and enforce the policy takes up a lot of time.  Which means a lot of money.  Which the gaming companies do not have in vast quanties, because the investors want their ROI right this second, and they want it in Blizzard amounts.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• amoroneamorone Member UncommonPosts: 209

I know for DAOC on the RP servers it was  fairly strict (especially in the first few years). A lot of folks go their little feelings hurt when they were told to change their name or be removed....and the community was GREAT at quickly reporting name violators. I hope "that" part of DAOC carries over to WAR.