Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The McQuaid Take on Age of Conan -from '06

2»

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

I didnt see this before - thanks for reviving it

• GazenthiaGazenthia Member Posts: 1,186

I didn't catch this before either, it is hilarious how that guy was absolutely dead-on years ago. I want to know what he thinks of Warhammer now, hmm.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/12/13/

• ThachsanhThachsanh Member Posts: 331
    Originally posted by Tenebrion

I'm sorry, but anyone that says that story driven tutorial levels and emphasis on PVP equals a lack of content doesn't have any business talking about videogames.Bottom line is, Brad doesn't know his head from a hole in the ground, and his failure as "developer" proves it. Thankfully Brad's days having a significant voice in the MMO industry are over.

I still remember laughing myself to tears when I read a quote of Brad's (on the official Vanguard FAQ) that said something to the tune of 'I don't believe in creating bold new directions for MMOs, because trying new things only hurts the industry when those new things fail.'

He did not say that. You gonna have to read and try to understand. He said, because of the tutorial, Funcom does not HAVE TO build a lot of contents for level 1 -20. And because of PvP focus, Funcom can rely on player generate contents and does not HAVE TO build a lot of PvE contents.

He is actually dead on about the story driven tutorial. Funcom did not have to build a lot of contents for level 1 to 20 because all 3 races are put into the same area - Tortage. Although that area is very well done, there are not a lot of contents there. If you look at other games out there with different starting areas for different races you will realize how much more they have to do in comparison to Funcom.

He is again, dead on about after that, the emphasis on PvP means Funcom can rely on players to create contents for them self by PvP and siege at high level so they don't have to create as much PvE contents to supply the demand of people at max level.

While he might not be good leader, his financial and management skills are poo poo, that's why they ran out of money while developing Vanguard, but I respect his developer opinion. Vanguard did try to do a lot of new and innovated ideas. If it wasnt because of the financial disaster, if they had a good management and financial staffs, so they had time to polish it, flesh it out, who know what it could have been.

• rounnerrounner Member UncommonPosts: 725

I see irony... It's everywhere... I don't even know it's ironic.