Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New player ..

IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

Howdy ..

I will start playing in about .. 30 min. So I read that Odin is a good/populated server to start and I just want to know if Mithra is a good char to start as I will think to choose Thief job for it which seems to be the best for this race.

What do you say? Should I stick with Mithra/Thief Job or I can go with Tarutaru blackmage job? Which one is the best for a new player from those two ?

Thanks!

EDIT: It's still updateting , so 3 more hours:(

Oh well.. I am gonna wait a little bit more since I waited around 4 till now :P

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

Comments

• SatimasuSatimasu Member UncommonPosts: 900

The problem with Odin is that it's overpopulated. That's a bad thing. Servers like Kujata and such are usually a better choice because they are more balanced.

In this game, don't ever pick a race based on their stats. Since you have access to ever job in the game on one character, if you play with a mindset of this race and it can only play these jobs because they have the best stats, you'll only be hurting yourself. Choose a race based off of what you think you'd like best. Any race can do any job well in this game. You'd just need to work harder at the weaknesses they have in that job. This is coming from a person who picked one of the worst races for a BLM when he first started. It was my first 75 job. So yeah, don't do that job = best race stats, it's a thing of the past.

To be the best, you must help each other become the best.
    FFXI Character: Satimasu
    FFXI Server: Valefor
    FFXIV Character: Tamorae Fonteil

• KirijiKiriji Member Posts: 340

It doesnt really matter what job you pick you can always change it later, you have to pick a second job later anyway.

My advice to a new player is to get in a good Linkshell (Guild) as soon as possible. This game is really hard at the beggining when you have no money and don't know what the hell to do. But its got one of the best communitys so should be easy to make new friends.

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

EM tarutaru ftw....i love my little bugger.

and yeah what they said ^^

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• BlueCadwalBlueCadwal Member Posts: 170

I know people say Odin is bad because it's overpopulated; however, I believe the exact opposite.  Odin plays just like a launch server, in fact it's slightly less camped than a launch server.  There's always a group around so you're not waiting 3 hours to find a party.  On my first two servers upon my return I was waiting for 2-4 hours to find a group at level 10-20.  On Odin, I found a party in less than 30 minutes. 

At lower levels, White Mages are in high demand at the moment.  Monks also seem to be in high demand as well since I couldn't find any for my PT a few hours ago (plus a good party tries to get 3 damage dealers like Monks).

Let it be known that I hate WoW with a passion and will defend almost any MMORPG against it.
    Current: FFXI (PC/360)
    Want: FFXIV, Stargate Worlds, Star Trek Online
    Past: AC, AoC, AO, Atlantica Online, CoH/V, DAoC, Dungeon Runners, D&DO, EVE, Everquest I+II, FlyFF, GW (all), Lineage 2, LOTRO, Mabinogi, Maplestory, PSO (DC/Xbox/PC), PSU (PC/360), PlanetSide, RO, Shadowbane, SWG (Pre-NGE), SotNW, TR, UO, Warhammer Online, WoW, WWIIO

• SoulSurferSoulSurfer Member UncommonPosts: 1,024

I don't even know if you can get on Odin at this time.  I know for a fact that server migrations are not allowed to this server, you can only transfer from it.  Another server you might want to look into is Asura or Bahamut.  They have a lot of ppl and have better economies than the other servers. 

If you want, you can visit ffxiah.com Here you can find exact server populations and economy trends.

Hope this helps.

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

Thanks all for the great infos. Yesterday I didn't had time to play since the download finished to late and I only got time to create a char. I created a Mithra Thief but after I read what you all was saying I guess I am gonna pick a TaruTaru Black Mage since I like mages. Also about the server I picked Odin but after I visited ffxiah.com I believe I will just go for Asura.

Well , I wil just logged in now and let you know ;)

PS: Anyone plays on Asura?

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• RoehonRoehon Member Posts: 44

Yea, just pick a race that feels right and the rest will work itself out.  The only thing you really can't change in FFXI is your race.

and as otheirs have said look for a good Linkshell, you really can't do much solo in this game so having a good LS will make things easyer.

look me up if you go to Alexander  my screen name is Roehon in game too