Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Getting more members

PureChaosPureChaos Member Posts: 839

Ok im 1 of those people who want to get into the game but is held back by a few issues. Mainly being the world is so developed ect.

Now i know this idea is prob gonna get me flamed as all hell but im just tossing it out there.

MAKE A TEMPORARY NEW SERVER! Yes that is right create a server make it last a month or a certain period of time then when the time comes push it into the Main stream world. Only new accounts or trials would be able t ogo there. Prty much a way of them getting more people while preventing certain issues that new players run into.

Also this could have a newb server for say the first two weeks you can stay on it and get used and get your basics up but past that you have to move into the real world.

Just a idea, thoughts comments.

COuld also extend this to a Newb only area same world just your stuck with other nubs and such.

Iv decided to toss in a Poll

Comments

• trentonxtrentonx Member Posts: 147

Well currently you are 100% safe in the starter system.

If someone suicide ganks you you can send a petition and get them warned or banned and your ship replaced.

Also being a noob would suck because you'd have nothing to buy...

maybe an extender tutorial that is optional and lets you play in your own game world for the 1st day kinda?

• Unicorns_PwnUnicorns_Pwn Member Posts: 427

As a noob in the game myself I would have to disagree completely for many issues

1. There is a very in depth tutorial in game. (requires reading and possible listening skills)
    2. There is a rookie channel, that while busy, can get you effective answers to questions.
    3. How would this separate world affect the economy?
    4. Shielding players from the real game world till later in progression only stands to put them into an environment with more to lose. Warnings are in place for actions already. (reading comprehension)
    5. There are a lot of veteran or more familiar noobs to help out others just starting in the game

The list could honestly go on, but I think you get the idea.

• PureChaosPureChaos Member Posts: 839
    Originally posted by Unicorns_Pwn

As a noob in the game myself I would have to disagree completely for many issues

There is a very in depth tutorial in game. (requires reading and possible listening skills)
    There is a rookie channel, that while busy, can get you effective answers to questions.
    How would this separate world affect the economy?
    Shielding players from the real game world till later in progression only stands to put them into an environment with more to lose. Warnings are in place for actions already. (reading comprehension)
    There are a lot of veteran or more familiar noobs to help out others just starting in the game

1- Iv done the turoial i understand the basics of how the game works, but its another thing understand how the playerbase works and how things come out to be.

2- Ok same goes for this with forums and guides and such ect. Part of the fun is doing things for the fun of them being new discovering yourself ect. I dont want to read guide after guide to make my way into a devloped world,

3- Well considering you are putting a bunch of new people in a restricted area or world, i doubt much, but part of the reason for that would be to give the player a boost, to have at the places that are in control of others to get a kick start into the game.

4- I wouldnt so much call it shielding i would consider it more of focus playing. YOu allow all the same rules, but just with new players. IF im in a 0 sec zone i dont have to worry about Ace over here with top of the line guns to come and kill me, i have to worry about Friggit B. Same game just on your lvl, and yes part of the game is understanding that when you enter full space you can get fucked and hard by some other player and vice versa.

5- Relieing on players is never a great idea, cause thats not everyone, that could be your experiance, and someone elses could be "man this guys are jack asses why should i play"

Obviously the idea needs tweaking, but i think for me atleast this would make me want to play is to get a kinda My lvl for a start then delv into the full thing.

Dont forget for a game to survive , especialy 1 that has been around for awhile it needs to create more ways to get more players.

Some make New servers, others make new servers with old rules, others make it easier to get a newb into the game to play ect.

• Unicorns_PwnUnicorns_Pwn Member Posts: 427
    Originally posted by PureChaos

There is a very in depth tutorial in game. (requires reading and possible listening skills)
    There is a rookie channel, that while busy, can get you effective answers to questions.
    Shielding players from the real game world till later in progression only stands to put them into an environment with more to lose. Warnings are in place for actions already. (reading comprehension)
    There are a lot of veteran or more familiar noobs to help out others just starting in the game

1- Iv done the turoial i understand the basics of how the game works, but its another thing understand how the playerbase works and how things come out to be.

understanding the "playerbase" would be accomplished by playing with the same players as I and everyone else have. This is a MMORPG game so interacting with others is somewhat encouraged.

2- Ok same goes for this with forums and guides and such ect. Part of the fun is doing things for the fun of them being new discovering yourself ect. I dont want to read guide after guide to make my way into a devloped world,

That is your opinion, but has very little to do with point 2. Why does this necessitate a new server? A person can simply try and stumble upon the answers by dumb luck or ask if they become lost or confused.

3- Well considering you are putting a bunch of new people in a restricted area or world, i doubt much, but part of the reason for that would be to give the player a boost, to have at the places that are in control of others to get a kick start into the game.

Still see no point in having separate economies for new players, the current system works just fine and has players even at the beginning contributing something meaningful from the start. A separate world/instance would just pull away from the immersion/worth of a characters actions as it had no real impact on the actual game world.

4- I wouldnt so much call it shielding i would consider it more of focus playing. YOu allow all the same rules, but just with new players. IF im in a 0 sec zone i dont have to worry about Ace over here with top of the line guns to come and kill me, i have to worry about Friggit B. Same game just on your lvl, and yes part of the game is understanding that when you enter full space you can get fucked and hard by some other player and vice versa.

Security system is explained to new players. If a new player decides to wonder off into a low sec zone and gets killed I personally do not feel sory for them. I have never had any problems as a new player understanding this concept.

5- Relieing on players is never a great idea, cause thats not everyone, that could be your experiance, and someone elses could be "man this guys are jack asses why should i play"

I would agree if maybe you were talking about complete dependence but again this is an MMO game. Part of the fun are the relationships formed with others, especially not knowing the motives of others.

Obviously the idea needs tweaking, but i think for me atleast this would make me want to play is to get a kinda My lvl for a start then delv into the full thing.

Beating a dead horse here, don't see why this is necessary.

Dont forget for a game to survive , especialy 1 that has been around for awhile it needs to create more ways to get more players.

I think Eve is doing just fine. The sub numbers keep seeming to go up from what I read. I think there are ways to bring more players to the game, but I don't think this is the right format in which to do it.

Some make New servers, others make new servers with old rules, others make it easier to get a newb into the game to play ect.

From what I have heard from other corp members they have made the game quite a bit easier for new players than it was in the past. Sure it took some reading and patience but for me it paid off.

Answers above are in a calming cool blue.

Part of my problem with what you propose is that for the most part it seems completely unnecessary. Eve is a very hard game to get started in. It does require a bit of reading and patience and at times putting trust in others whom may have sinister motives. These unknown variables are more of that backbone core mechanic that I think a lot of players latch on to.

Not every player will play the trial and come out liking the game. Some people will find the penalties and loss in the game too much to handle. Some people will start playing and then not have quests handed to them and then feel the game has nothing to offer as they can't seem to form their own path. It does take a bit more effort in this game than others. Eve does not seem to appeal to the lowest common denominator but to a certain type of player.

• trentonxtrentonx Member Posts: 147

You know what would fix all of this?

For eve to finish up thier video tutorials. They are being made currently and when they are done will make everythign much easier.

• xersentxersent Member Posts: 613

understanding the "playerbase" would be accomplished by playing with the same players as I and everyone else have. This is a MMORPG game so interacting with others is somewhat encouraged.

That is your opinion, but has very little to do with point 2. Why does this necessitate a new server? A person can simply try and stumble upon the answers by dumb luck or ask if they become lost or confused.

Still see no point in having separate economies for new players, the current system works just fine and has players even at the beginning contributing something meaningful from the start. A separate world/instance would just pull away from the immersion/worth of a characters actions as it had no real impact on the actual game world.

Security system is explained to new players. If a new player decides to wonder off into a low sec zone and gets killed I personally do not feel sory for them. I have never had any problems as a new player understanding this concept.

I would agree if maybe you were talking about complete dependence but again this is an MMO game. Part of the fun are the relationships formed with others, especially not knowing the motives of others.

Beating a dead horse here, don't see why this is necessary.

I think Eve is doing just fine. The sub numbers keep seeming to go up from what I read. I think there are ways to bring more players to the game, but I don't think this is the right format in which to do it.

From what I have heard from other corp members they have made the game quite a bit easier for new players than it was in the past. Sure it took some reading and patience but for me it paid off.

Answers above are in a calming cool blue.

Part of my problem with what you propose is that for the most part it seems completely unnecessary. Eve is a very hard game to get started in. It does require a bit of reading and patience and at times putting trust in others whom may have sinister motives. These unknown variables are more of that backbone core mechanic that I think a lot of players latch on to.

Not every player will play the trial and come out liking the game. Some people will find the penalties and loss in the game too much to handle. Some people will start playing and then not have quests handed to them and then feel the game has nothing to offer as they can't seem to form their own path. It does take a bit more effort in this game than others. Eve does not seem to appeal to the lowest common denominator but to a certain type of player.

Good reply Unicorns_Pwn i think you said what was needed to be said.

• lupisenparislupisenparis Member Posts: 185

why ever change the game alittle? these guys here are happy with big empty space...

• xersentxersent Member Posts: 613

I wouldnt call having 40,000 people on one server empty space?

• lupisenparislupisenparis Member Posts: 185

although eve does have quite a few subscriptions I wouldnt doubt that most of that number is because people are multiboxing...

it's important to note that these are subscriptions and not unique subscribers.--- massively daily news about mmos.

http://www.massively.com/2007/11/17/eve-online-passes-the-200k-subscription-mark/

I guess the op has the same sentiments as the author of the article based on his own investigation.  Either multiboxing accounts/ abandoned accounts during newbie phase apparently.

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515
    Originally posted by lupisenparis

although eve does have quite a few subscriptions I wouldnt doubt that most of that number is because people are multiboxing...
    it's important to note that these are subscriptions and not unique subscribers.--- massively daily news about mmos.
    http://www.massively.com/2007/11/17/eve-online-passes-the-200k-subscription-mark/

I guess the op has the same sentiments as the author of the article based on his own investigation.  Either multiboxing accounts/ abandoned accounts during newbie phase apparently.

That article is pretty much a load of BS. CCP's Economical guy does regular reports on EvE's economy fluctuations and other stuff and in one of his early ones [less than 6 months ago i think] he revealed the percentage of the 220,000 accounts that had alt accounts like you suggest, if i remember right it was less than 8%.

Of course i dont really take what you say here as a honest opinion as looking at your posting history your an old hand at passing misinformation, Im guessing you play a game that you feel is threatened by EvE  [unlikely as EvE is a space based MMO and there are few of those around].

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• Fireside286Fireside286 Member Posts: 72

This is one game I would love to play and have tried it really liken the space combat, but one thing always was in the back of my mind.  I could never catch up to someone that has played for years, no matter how long I have played.  That is why I quit.  For some reason that just nags at you, and knowing I wouldn't amount to anything combat wise for 2-4 monts pushed me away.

Oh well guess I will never experience the vastness that is EVE.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

Stop trying to make EVE safe for noobs, or anyone else for that matter.  Its all about the risk vs reward, and even noobs have to learn that quickly or perish.

Heck, I've been playing for over a year, (and yes, I read lots of guides to learn about the common mistakes to avoid) and yet, even now I make a errors and they cost me ships.  Guess I have to more to learn.

That's the charm of EVE, where making a mistake can really cost you, so you have to try not do them.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PureChaosPureChaos Member Posts: 839
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Stop trying to make EVE safe for noobs, or anyone else for that matter.  Its all about the risk vs reward, and even noobs have to learn that quickly or perish.
    Heck, I've been playing for over a year, (and yes, I read lots of guides to learn about the common mistakes to avoid) and yet, even now I make a errors and they cost me ships.  Guess I have to more to learn.
    That's the charm of EVE, where making a mistake can really cost you, so you have to try not do them.

was waiting for the this responce. This suggestion in no way gives nubs and walk in the park. Because its the same walk that the people who started day 1 had. What it is doing is recreating a day 1 experience of eve, that im sure alot of people now who want to get into the game would love.

Making errors and issues has nothing to do with this idea, thats the nature of EVE, this idea is suggesting giving new players a boost into the game.

Way i see it and the way iv seen others explaine it is like such. Eve is a big batch of unstable chemicals, Some bond together, others fly off from there old group and go to another, and when they do these things the batch reacts and changes, but when you enter alot of new chemicals into the batch very few go and find a bond, many will be stuck alone or just dwindle away. And as said by others the players make EVE so the more elements/chemicals you toss in makes more reactions be it more violent or stable, none the less more is going on. Thus more fun and more possibilities.

• AesperAesper Member UncommonPosts: 90

Safety? In EVE? Immediately wash your mouth with bleach.

Theres no such thing as sticking your pinky toe in the water to test the temperature.

So take me word for it and jump on in... the water's fine.

EVE Online player since 2007.

"Our greatest glory consist not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

- Oliver Goldsmith

• LordmonkusLordmonkus Member Posts: 808

Originally posted by Kyleran

was waiting for the this responce. This suggestion in no way gives nubs and walk in the park. Because its the same walk that the people who started day 1 had. What it is doing is recreating a day 1 experience of eve, that im sure alot of people now who want to get into the game would love.

Making errors and issues has nothing to do with this idea, thats the nature of EVE, this idea is suggesting giving new players a boost into the game.

Way i see it and the way iv seen others explaine it is like such. Eve is a big batch of unstable chemicals, Some bond together, others fly off from there old group and go to another, and when they do these things the batch reacts and changes, but when you enter alot of new chemicals into the batch very few go and find a bond, many will be stuck alone or just dwindle away. And as said by others the players make EVE so the more elements/chemicals you toss in makes more reactions be it more violent or stable, none the less more is going on. Thus more fun and more possibilities.

"recreating a day 1 experience"  Are you sure you don't want to rethink this statement ? Believe me whenI tell you that new players now have a much easier time than the people who played from launch. You get more SPs at creation, you get better missions that actually giveyou ships as rewards now, the game balance is much better. Launch time was a rought ime for Eve but they survived and the game is in an awesomely good state right now.

I understand what you are trying to get at here but it is completely unnecessary. Actually I think it would be a bad thing for new players. They would start off on this serperate "carebear" server if you will (i really hate the term but it did fit here) and then when it came time to move over they really wouldn't have the most important skills learned which is real game world experience watching over their shoulders. They would switch over and get mauled left and right all while thinking they are safe and then in turn leave the game frustrated.

The largest influx of new players will come when CCP releases the Ambulation expansion. All the girls will come over then when they can see their avatar and open clothing shops on stations

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515

Ok im 1 of those people who want to get into the game but is held back by a few issues. Mainly being the world is so developed ect.
    Now i know this idea is prob gonna get me flamed as all hell but im just tossing it out there.
    MAKE A TEMPORARY NEW SERVER! Yes that is right create a server make it last a month or a certain period of time then when the time comes push it into the Main stream world. Only new accounts or trials would be able t ogo there. Prty much a way of them getting more people while preventing certain issues that new players run into.
    Also this could have a newb server for say the first two weeks you can stay on it and get used and get your basics up but past that you have to move into the real world.
    Just a idea, thoughts comments.

COuld also extend this to a Newb only area same world just your stuck with other nubs and such.
    Iv decided to toss in a Poll

Its a bad idea really for the Noobs. If CCP did this those noobs will learn a lot about how the various systems of EvE work they may even make some noob friends and agree to meet when they are on the main server, and above all they join the main server knowing a lot about how the menus and things like the market work.

They will be very happy and thankful to the newbie server till they meet there first......

Gatecamp

market scam

Contracts scam

Free loot can outside station [to those who don't know this is a bait trap to enable a griefer to basically kill you without NPC intervention if you take stuff from the can].

My point is that Newbies learning EvE on a separate server is fine in theory but the problem begins when they are forced into a server full of experienced players some of whom are Griefers Pirates PvP'ers and Market scammers. The noob that learns on the Noobie server will have no way of knowing how to handle and avoid such problems because such elements wont be there to both demonstrate [i.e. you get ScammedGanked] and to instruct [i.e. some helpful player explains all about this side of eve].

So if you get 2  two week old Noobs one who spent those weeks on a Noobie server and one who learnt Via the current method. You will find that the noobie who didn't go to a noobie server will be more experienced. To begin with he will have had his ship killed [learnt about ship loss], he will have after talking to helpful people in EvE will have learnt how to avoid problems like Gatecamps bait cans and market scams.

Also there is a good chance he will be part of a corp and getting help with his skill learning and in getting a decent cruiser. Meanwhile the noob who went on that noobie server you suggested wont know any of those things as well [its always possible he would have read about them but that's not the same as experiencing it]. He will also be deposited on the server surrounded by unfamiliar people so he would have to make friends all over again and eventually join a corp.

So no i dont think its a good idea as i feel it will slowstunt a noobies learning.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981