Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Made by EA...will this hurt WAR?

I am not, exactly, looking forward to WAR, but I've always liked Warhammer, mostly 40k, so I am hoping that WAR does do well, and happens to be a decent game. However, seeing that EA has a foot in the game worries me, greatly. I know that EA only bought the company, so it may not be utterly corrupted, but as they do, so often, they may still pump WAR full of SecuRom. 

For those that are not yet aware, SecuRom is a nasty security program that is meant to prevent pirating music, games, and such. That is fine, but the program works more like a virus, and often attacks a person's system for little reason. This program is, more or less, illegal to use, but EA still fills their programs with it. Hell, even emails from EA can have it.

Now, although the recent threat of lawsuits may be toning the use of this program down, given EA's history, does anyone else worry about the future of WAR?

Comments

• KaltesHerzKaltesHerz Member Posts: 237

Why would they put securom in a MMO? Let's see, I've yet to find a MMO that must have a disc in a drive, or that needs to detect drive emulators,,,,I dunno.

Anyway, EA being a part of the development will affect my decision about this game. No matter what anyone says, EAxis WILL put their filthy mits all over this game before it's all said and done. 

I also don't give Mythic long before Eaxis does to them what they did to Westwood .

((edit--after doing a quick google about securom and possible lawsuits, all the ones I read are frivolous at best, and will be beat down just like they always have and I'm sure there will be urban legends that such and such won millions but it won't be proven and will be BS--The only one that is even remotely viable was the one that installed from music cds(bmg?) onto computers a few years back and from what I read, it's settled.))

Want a taste of religion? Lick a witch.

• PureChaosPureChaos Member Posts: 839

it does bring up a few issues, that i hate EA for (if i remember Battlefield 2142 did something similar) . On the same note i dont think WAR will require something of this nature for the fact that it is a MMO and no protection is required on this front. For MMO's CD keys are linked via account and having the game is pointless without a CD key with account.

Now i honestly dont know but from a business stand point it seems to be a waste of resources.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

EA kills everything it touches except of course Maddon Football

How well WAR will fair is directly related to how much control Mythic may have had to give up to EA. Time will tell, I wish WAR well but am equally worried about Biowares MMO since EA has sunk their life draining fangs into them as well.

Of course theres always the possibility EA has reformed and is no longer da debil

Time will tell not really much we can do but wait and see.

• BealzagreBealzagre Member Posts: 42

Well, the only reason I even think of it as a problem is because EA has even been known to send such programs through their emails and even game patches, so a disc does not seem to be the major issue, and thus what is making me worry, since MMOs require so many patches, regardless.

• jmd10222jmd10222 Member Posts: 427

No they are not using anti piracy programs in the games nor  in emails,( emails?? seriously you believe

that crap?? ). Besides EA is leaving the companies they buy alone to develop there games . They

have mentioned there mistakes in the past with buying other gameing companies and not letting them do

what made them what they were. They would just end up owning a name and some IPs and the people

that made them great left to form other companies.  Now only time will tell if they stick to this ,but so far

they have been doing really well.

Yes, I do believe that, JMD, because EA is about as corrupt as they come...hell, they make George Bush seem like a saint. They -do- use SecuRom, and it has been proven. That is not the issue, the issue is whether their practices will ruin WAR, at all.

• ZanetanosZanetanos Member Posts: 146
    Originally posted by Bealzagre

I am not, exactly, looking forward to WAR, but I've always liked Warhammer, mostly 40k, so I am hoping that WAR does do well, and happens to be a decent game. However, seeing that EA has a foot in the game worries me, greatly. I know that EA only bought the company, so it may not be utterly corrupted, but as they do, so often, they may still pump WAR full of SecuRom. 
    For those that are not yet aware, SecuRom is a nasty security program that is meant to prevent pirating music, games, and such. That is fine, but the program works more like a virus, and often attacks a person's system for little reason. This program is, more or less, illegal to use, but EA still fills their programs with it. Hell, even emails from EA can have it.
    Now, although the recent threat of lawsuits may be toning the use of this program down, given EA's history, does anyone else worry about the future of WAR?

Prematurely worrying about this is a little much.

All reports indicate thus far that EA has been relatively hands off.  Furthermore, as previous posters have stated Warhammer Online is an MMO it's security is based upon the fact that you need an original keycode to create an account, not protecting the actual software itself.

Personally, I'm not a fan of EA games, but in this case, given their approach thus far I'm happy that Mythic has EA backing rather than not having it.  They probably have access to a lot more resources, especially in terms of distribution and marketing than they otherwise would.

Edit:  "EA makes George Bush look like a Saint..."  The implication of this statement seems to be that you think two things (1)  George Bush is very, very bad.  (2)  EA is worse.  While I won't agree or disagree with either of these statements, it does seem a bit ludicrous to compare a vidoe game company to a president.  If you think a president is bad, clearly they have had more of a negative impact on the world than a video game company.  (If you respond to this edit, please not the qualifications which I placed upon it.)

Zanetanos, no worries...the George Bush comment was a joke, I was not really comparing the two. Just a bit of humor to lighten the mood. But, you're right, I suppose. Even EA would not do something major to damage the reputation of an MMO under their name.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Nobody likes EA and their record proves why. I know  the fans of Warhammer would like to think differently because they want their game to succeed.  I hope the game does well even if I'm not the greatest fan of Warhammer but its the EA way or the highway unfortunately. You also have to consider that Games Workshop has plenty to say in this game. If they don't feel it is a quality game they will pull the plug. They did it before and they would do it again.

Zanetanos, no worries...the George Bush comment was a joke, I was not really comparing the two. Just a bit of humor to lighten the mood. But, you're right, I suppose. Even EA would not do something major to damage the reputation of an MMO under their name.

Haha, I'm glad to hear it.

And yes, let us hope that EA continues its current "hands off Mythic" policy.

Originally posted by Saint Viktor

Nobody likes EA and their record proves why. I know  the fans of Warhammer would like to think differently because they want their game to succeed.  I hope the game does well even if I'm not the greatest fan of Warhammer but its the EA way or the highway unfortunately. You also have to consider that Games Workshop has plenty to say in this game. If they don't feel it is a quality game they will pull the plug. They did it before and they would do it again.

I can understand the caution, but I guess it's just more rewarding to be optimistic than pesimistic given the way things are going so far.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I think that Mythic still holds most of the horses needed to pull of this game. I am more worried about their european partner then about EA.

I played both US as European servers for DAoC, and service in europe was the worst seen on any MMO i ever played.

EA must realise by now how fragile and demanding an MMO community can be. 

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• kaydinvkaydinv Member Posts: 208

Yes, because EA ruined the best MMORPG ever created. This game will be a WoW clone, sorry.

[Those two statements are unrelated]

Originally posted by kaydinv

Yes, because EA ruined the best MMORPG ever created. This game will be a WoW clone, sorry.

The Earth and Beyond mismanagement is hopefully not something that we will see replayed here.  If it is, then obviously there will be trouble.

• kaydinvkaydinv Member Posts: 208
    Originally posted by Zanetanos

The Earth and Beyond mismanagement is hopefully not something that we will see replayed here.  If it is, then obviously there will be trouble.

I was actually referring to Ultima Online...

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

I think that Mythic still holds most of the horses needed to pull of this game. I am more worried about their european partner then about EA.
    I played both US as European servers for DAoC, and service in europe was the worst seen on any MMO i ever played.
    EA must realise by now how fragile and demanding an MMO community can be. 

You mean after Earth and beyound, as well as Ultima X (UO's sequal). Think there may have been a few other lesser MMO's they axed in production but don't remember for sure.

• MrVicchioMrVicchio Member Posts: 598

EA spent lots of money buying up companies and rights in the past.  Tehy then proceeded to inject their people to make the games "EA Brand Games".  I.E. Sent people in 3/4s of the way through development and saved $$ by making stupid decisions and short cuts thus bringing games and the companies that were associated with them down.

Big companies, exist to do one thing.  Make their shareholders $$, not waste it.  EA Learned that their old way of doing business was costing them $$ and in the big time grown up world... that's bad.

So I dont' fear EA Hosing up WAR, their shareholders would be very displeased if a "sure thing" got screwed up because of meddling where they shouldn't have been.

Always change your signature.

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914

Ya, but lets be honest.  Is the EA brass really that smart?  Or, more accurately, do they think of the already established player base that WAR has as anything more than nerdy teenagers that spend hours at Games Workshop playing with their minatures.

If they do manage to screw up WAR, I can guess that the staff meeting went something like this:

EA: The player base is too narrow, we need to appeal to WoW players.

Mythic:  But we're trying to make a game to appeal to the RvR fans & fans of the Warhammer franchise.

EA: No, not good enough.  Those kids probably won't even be able to borrow enough money from thier mom's to pay for the game.

Mythic:  Wha...?

EA: Make it more like WoW.

Mythic:  No.

EA: You're fired.  EA Loyal Programmer 193 get in there and make the game more like WoW.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

• gillvane1gillvane1 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,503

I don't think there's much worry about security issues. You have to have a credit card to play, and that's most of the security you need right there.

Who cares who the developers is? I don't get all teh SOE haters either. Either the game is good, in which case I'll play it, or the game isn't good, in which case I won't.

The one thing I do avoid is games with "steam". I found it to be a pain in the arse, and it disabled some of my games, and I didn't want to be bothered with the hassle to do everything to make them work again. Rather than go through re-registration and crap, I'll just toss a game and not buy something with steam again. Games should work without any hassle.

• G_RavenorG_Ravenor Member Posts: 108

Interesting post....

If EA have done proper research into the market (of which they have no excuse not to), they would find that Games Workshop (refered to as GW in this reply) is more than 'nerdy teenagers spending hours with minitures.' It is infact a strong and fairly large community base, which cover a wide spectrum of players...

As for whether EA will make a bad job of it, I can't see why they would risk such a thing, and with GW keeping a close eye on development, Im sure that will help any slip ups, as a bad game could hurt GW as well as EA...

As for the general thinking of 'just nerdy teenagers spending hours on minitures' thing is GW have quite a little niche market, I mean its pretty much a fully customizable RP game, that has despite advances in computer technology and the like has held up pretty well.. which brings me on to another point, if WAR turns out to be a real good game, might it actually hurt the GW customer base? I mean anybody who has ever played the tabletop game will know what I mean when I talk about high cost table top gaming,even if it does go retail and has even a fairly high monthly price, it would still be cheaper effectively than the tabletop game.....

So I think the question should be, not so much will EA hurt WAR, but will GW feel it could lose out if WAR is super sucessful??

Final point: notice how it keeps getting pushed back, is this because EA are sticking their foot in? or because GW want something better or changes made? 

shhh... you might wake the trolls

Originally posted by gillvane1

Who cares who the developers is? I don't get all teh SOE haters either. Either the game is good, in which case I'll play it, or the game isn't good, in which case I won't.

Most people don't like SOE because of what they did to SWG & EA because of what they did to UO.  It's not just because they develop bad games, it's because they buy out good games, and then turn them into bad games.... and.... also because they develop bad games.

The good news about EA acquiring Mythic is they are leaving the developers alone for now.  Seems like they finally realized that they needed to get some real MMO developers in their company, and then not eff it up.

Originally posted by G_Ravenor

Interesting post....
    Thanks.  :D  I was being mostly sarcastic.
    If EA have done proper research into the market (of which they have no excuse not to), they would find that Games Workshop (refered to as GW in this reply) is more than 'nerdy teenagers spending hours with minitures.' It is infact a strong and fairly large community base, which cover a wide spectrum of players...
    Ya, exactly.  But EA, up to this point, does not have a good track record of sticking to the core player base for their MMO games.  Instead, trying to appeal to a broader audience, and in the process, killing the games.
    As for whether EA will make a bad job of it, I can't see why they would risk such a thing, and with GW keeping a close eye on development, Im sure that will help any slip ups, as a bad game could hurt GW as well as EA...
    Lets hope this is true.  But, quite honestly, if you had told me that the current LOTRO is what the Tolkien license holders would have approved for an online game set in Middle-Earth I would have said you're crazy.   I know, different companies, but marketing people have a way to spin things to a make it sound like "this" is the best direction the game could go & kind of tricking the license representatives into agreeing with them.  Not saying that it will happen with GW, but I no longer think it is a crazy idea that it could.
    As for the general thinking of 'just nerdy teenagers spending hours on minitures' thing is GW have quite a little niche market, I mean its pretty much a fully customizable RP game, that has despite advances in computer technology and the like has held up pretty well.. which brings me on to another point, if WAR turns out to be a real good game, might it actually hurt the GW customer base? I mean anybody who has ever played the tabletop game will know what I mean when I talk about high cost table top gaming,even if it does go retail and has even a fairly high monthly price, it would still be cheaper effectively than the tabletop game.....
    So I think the question should be, not so much will EA hurt WAR, but will GW feel it could lose out if WAR is super sucessful??
    I was just joking around about the nerdy teenager thing.  To answer your inquiry, I would wager that it would have the opposite effect.  Introducing PC gamers to the Warhammer world & getting the interested enough into playing the miniatures game.  I think that the tabletop & MMO game are far enough removed from each other that people would not stop playing the tabletop game simply because there is an MMO set in the Warhammer world.
    Final point: notice how it keeps getting pushed back, is this because EA are sticking their foot in? or because GW want something better or changes made? 
    From what I have read, it seems more like the Mythic heads are the ones at the front of the delays.  They don't want to make a bad game & they talked EA into giving them more time to finish.  That's just what the press release from Jeff Hickman said after the last delay.  I suppose he could be lying, or stretching the truth.  But it's really all we have to go on.

• markoraosmarkoraos Member Posts: 1,593
    Originally posted by Dameonk

Ya, but lets be honest.  Is the EA brass really that smart?  Or, more accurately, do they think of the already established player base that WAR has as anything more than nerdy teenagers that spend hours at Games Workshop playing with their minatures.
    If they do manage to screw up WAR, I can guess that the staff meeting went something like this:
    EA: The player base is too narrow, we need to appeal to WoW players.
    Mythic:  But we're trying to make a game to appeal to the RvR fans & fans of the Warhammer franchise.
    EA: No, not good enough.  Those kids probably won't even be able to borrow enough money from thier mom's to pay for the game.
    Mythic:  Wha...?
    EA: Make it more like WoW.
    Mythic:  No.
    EA: You're fired.  EA Loyal Programmer 193 get in there and make the game more like WoW.

This scenario would sound plausible if there weren't one tiny annoying little guy from England and the most brutal game company EVER backing him up.

Games Workshop is the second player in this game and they hold the plug. Although EA has sunk tens of millions of $$ into the project, GW still has the veto power over the whole shebang and they, being the sharks they are, won't hesitate a millisecond to use it.

I really don't think GW will allow any substantial straying from their IP's essence and that is total and eternal WAR. They've already killed one MMO based on Warhammer  that went into the PvE raiding "story" crap direction. They will do it again if need be.

The purity and iconicness of their IP is their most important possession that enabled them to survive the lean nineties. They are perfectly capable of eschewing any fast bucks in order to preserve the hen that has been laying golden eggs for so long. Their financial security stems from miniatures sales and they won't allow that to be damaged by bad PR from a sub-quality game or one presenting the IP in an innacurate manner.

• TheSheikhTheSheikh Member Posts: 804

This is all I have to say.....

STOP WHINING!

• FelleFelle Member Posts: 62
    Originally posted by TheSheikh

This is all I have to say.....

I laughed.

• j-monsterj-monster Member Posts: 1,060

lol.

The guy who killed UO ( Tom Chilton) is now a lead designer at Blizzard.