Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

if Warhammer lets me down...

...I am never playing a MMORPG ever again. World of Warcraft is a good game...its just old to me now, I need something NEW, but something new that doesn't suck.

Vanguard let me down. Age of Conan let me down. EQ2 let me down. Vanguard let me down, again. Warhammer is like...the last hope for a  new mmorpg that doesn't suck.

Comments

• Thunder_HeadThunder_Head Member Posts: 304

If it lets you down (however unlikely that is), stick around for Aion or Earthrise.

• Tawn47Tawn47 Member Posts: 512

If WAR lets me down its back to EVE..  

• jarishjarish Member Posts: 526

Have you tried LOTRO. Similar to Wow but great graphics great epic storyline. There is a 14-day trial that you can get.

Brandywine Global LFF chan "/joinchannel glff"

• GnazonGnazon Member Posts: 442

Originally posted by ados25
    ...I am never playing a MMORPG ever again. World of Warcraft is a good game...its just old to me now, I need something NEW, but something new that doesn't suck.
    Vanguard let me down. Age of Conan let me down. EQ2 let me down. Vanguard let me down, again. Warhammer is like...the last hope for a new mmorpg that doesn't suck.

I share your feelings, so many mmos, so many disappointments and broken promises. If WAR lets me down, I am going back to MUDs.

• lareslocilaresloci Member UncommonPosts: 373
    Originally posted by Gnazon

Vanguard let me down. Age of Conan let me down. EQ2 let me down. Vanguard let me down, again. Warhammer is like...the last hope for a new mmorpg that doesn't suck.

I share your feelings, so many mmos, so many disappointments and broken promises. If WAR lets me down, I am going back to MUDs.

Likewise.

Why is it that, as a culture, we are more comfortable seeing two men holding guns than holding hands? ~Ernest Gaines

• Silverthorn8Silverthorn8 Member UncommonPosts: 510

Na, I'll likely go back to wow and play a deathknight. Then get back to rl while I still have hair on my head (starting to recede).

Tbh though I think war is gonna suck me in, but we'll see :)

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

It won t let me down because i already know how it plays:) So no letting down here.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Do what I do, just have really low expectations, don't believe any of the hype and it can only surprise you.  That's what i did with AOC and its working fine.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• HazmalHazmal Member CommonPosts: 1,013
    Originally posted by Gnazon

Not exactly a MUD, but it is fun and kills lots of time at work for me.... www.the-reincarnation.com/

I play under this name, so don't attack me!

------------------
    Originally posted by javac

well i'm 35 and have a PhD in science, and then 10 years experience in bioinformatics... you?
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/218865/page/8

• jzuskajzuska Member Posts: 418

I am in exactly the same boat as the OP. I am selling my massive gaming rig on ebay and buying a MAC laptop. I will never touch an MMO again if this is disapointing.  I'm sorry if this sounds selfish, but it is. The last semi-decent mmo was WOW. Everything else since has been abysmal, not just bad but so bad that it was unplayable. I have an entire SHELF dedicated to bad horrible MMO's.  I, in fact, only have a PC to play mmo's, so if this is bad i'm done, and yes you can have my stuff and all my games for $7,500 bones.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Vanguard let me down. Age of Conan let me down. EQ2 let me down. Vanguard let me down, again. Warhammer is like...the last hope for a  new mmorpg that doesn't suck.

I'm guessing alot of people are setting thermselves up for a fall. (as they may have done before ) People have unrealistic expectations because they believe all the hype. Just don't buy the hype and you'll be a happier person in life. Worste thing that can happen is you'll be pleasantly surprised when something does exceed your more down to earth expectations.

Marketing is all about shoveling hype, If you believe everything unknown poster x2135 or Market Advert 53 posts well then I'd say your either naively over trusting or just not that smart and really have no one to blame but yourself. Thinkaboutit

• CenthialCenthial Member Posts: 30

hello all,

I agree that some of the games have been a little bit of a let down lately, but i really think most of us are way too critical. I would never tell anybody how to play a game, we all pay the monthly subscription and it is your right to play however u would like. However the problem that i see is that whenever a new game comes out people blow through what could be 6 months to a year of content in 2 weeks. I mean age of conan for example was out for like a week and people were complaining of no end game content.

I know it is hard to beleive, but the mmorpg genre is still pretty young. It costs a boatload of money and a boatload of resources to make these games. Huge risks are taken by investors and developers. For the "hardcore" gamer of today i really dont see an mmo that will satisfy for a long time to come. It is just not financially feasible to create a large evolved game right at release. And that seems to be what people expect. It seems like gamers want a game that has a bug free launch and a game that at release can provide thousands of hours of gameplay. This just isnt going to happen . We are not at that point yet. Developers are not able to secure enough money to create a game that is innovative and satisfies the needs of gamers of today and put their game out in a totally completed state from start to finish.

I still am having a lot of fun playing mmorpg's. I think AoC has some good potential, and i really enjoy LoTRo. Turbine has done an excellent job with that game.

Anyway, i am going to get off the soapbox, it is open to whoever wants it next,

thanks,

Cen

• justinopejustinope Member Posts: 46

I'm in the exact same boat. I've even said I'm just going to throw my computer out the window. mythic! our gaming future is in your hands!

• iZakaroNiZakaroN Member UncommonPosts: 719

For me the most disapointing MMO was WoW, WAR is what WoW was supposed to be for me. Hope WAR will not disappoint me like WoW.

Where themepark games try to hide that they are copying WOW, games like Mortal Online and Darkfall make no attempt to hide their inspiration
    ______\m/_____
    LordOfDarkDesire
  • kitsunegirlkitsunegirl Member Posts: 525

Ive still got eq2 subbed... and Im still waiting on Aion.

• cheshyrecatcheshyrecat Member Posts: 137

I feel much the same as the OP.  except I'll sell my comp the day I die.

However, WAR is not my last great hope.  that burden I've placed on the Warhammer 40k mmo that's in development.  I figure either WAR or WAR 40k will scratch my mmo itch.

If not.....there are plenty of fps, strat, action games to spend my money on if no one besides blizzard can figure out how to make an mmo.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

• LocklainLocklain Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by cheshyrecat

I feel much the same as the OP.  except I'll sell my comp the day I die.

However, WAR is not my last great hope.  that burden I've placed on the Warhammer 40k mmo that's in development.  I figure either WAR or WAR 40k will scratch my mmo itch.

If not.....there are plenty of fps, strat, action games to spend my money on if no one besides blizzard can firgure out how to make an mmo.

I wouldn't sell my computer either, however, MMOs are the only reason I update my computer.  Come the time MMOs suck I will no longer need to update my computer and I would eventually just stop.

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand
  • gillvane1gillvane1 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,503

I'll be happy if WAR releases with minimal bugs, the majority of features already implemented, and it's polished.

AoC shows, once again, you have to finish the game and polish it before you release it, or it will be a dud.

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

Going by what has gone before it is highly unlikely that WAR will release without certain bugs, lack of polish etc. These games never do.

Further to that all the games are more or less the same, WoW, AoC, WAR, EQ2, etc.

with a few different features between them.

Same game different skins, maps and classes.

Originally posted by VultureSkull

Going by what has gone before it is highly unlikely that WAR will release without certain bugs, lack of polish etc. These games never do.
    Further to that all the games are more or less the same, WoW, AoC, WAR, EQ2, etc.

Yeap, same shiit different pile.

Why is it that, as a culture, we are more comfortable seeing two men holding guns than holding hands? ~Ernest Gaines

• Ascension08Ascension08 Member Posts: 1,980
    Originally posted by laresloci

Wowwwww hey yeah you guys are geniuses. They're basically all the same with just little variations here and there! They all also have many people playing them, some of them have instances more than others, all of them have some type of leveling or achievement system...wow...MAYBE that's why they're in the SAME market?? They're all MMORPGs!?!?!?

Hehehe.

--------------------------------------
    A human and an Elf get captured by Skaven. The rat-men are getting ready to shoot the first hostage with Dwarf-made guns when he yells, "Earthquake!" The naturally nervous Skaven run and hide from the imaginary threat. He escapes. The Skaven regroup and bring out the Elf. Being very smart, the Elf has figured out what to do. When the Skaven get ready to shoot, the Elf, in order to scare them, yells, "Fire!"

Order of the White Border.

Originally posted by Ascension08

Wowwwww hey yeah you guys are geniuses. They're basically all the same with just little variations here and there! They all also have many people playing them, some of them have instances more than others, all of them have some type of leveling or achievement system...wow...MAYBE that's why they're in the SAME market?? They're all MMORPGs!?!?!?

Hehehe.

Yeah, and Campbell's  isn't the only one that makes soup too you know.

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

Hehehe.

Are all sports the same?

• Ascension08Ascension08 Member Posts: 1,980

Hehehe.

Yeah, and Campbell's  isn't the only one that makes soup too you know.

Still soup isn't it? Unless you want to change it so much you call it "stew" or something.

--------------------------------------
    A human and an Elf get captured by Skaven. The rat-men are getting ready to shoot the first hostage with Dwarf-made guns when he yells, "Earthquake!" The naturally nervous Skaven run and hide from the imaginary threat. He escapes. The Skaven regroup and bring out the Elf. Being very smart, the Elf has figured out what to do. When the Skaven get ready to shoot, the Elf, in order to scare them, yells, "Fire!"

Order of the White Border.

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811

I liked the "Hehehe" at the end of the rant