Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Green this, green that, global warming, earth heating up....Bleh

outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

There is a consensus on man-made global warming:

Because the global warming alarmists can't give a good answer to many of the most basic questions that people have, they've simply been claiming that almost every scientist believes they're right. The idea here is that people will think, "They may not be able to make a case for what they believe, but if all those scientists agree with them, they must be spot-on!"

However, while there is a consensus that the earth warmed a small amount over the last century, there is no consensus on whether mankind is responsible, whether the warming will continue, and whether the consequences will be serious if it does. In fact, more than 31,000 American scientists have signed a petition stating the following:   LINK

I have never believed in this Global Warming stuff.  Too much carbon monoxide in the air, too much of this, too much of that, cut back here and there...barf!.....

What we do will not make any difference in the future.  Climate will change no matter what we do.  I guess the ones that use this scare tactic are afraid their grants will run out...LOL

Comments

• MuraisMurais Member UncommonPosts: 1,118

Originally posted by outfctrl

Because the global warming alarmists can't give a good answer to many of the most basic questions that people have, they've simply been claiming that almost every scientist believes they're right. The idea here is that people will think, "They may not be able to make a case for what they believe, but if all those scientists agree with them, they must be spot-on!"
    However, while there is a consensus that the earth warmed a small amount over the last century, there is no consensus on whether mankind is responsible, whether the warming will continue, and whether the consequences will be serious if it does. In fact, more than 31,000 American scientists have signed a petition stating the following:   LINK
    I have never believed in this Global Warming stuff.  Too much carbon monoxide in the air, too much of this, too much of that, cut back here and there...barf!.....
    What we do will not make any difference in the future.  Climate will change no matter what we do.  I guess the ones that use this scare tactic are afraid their grants will run out...LOL

See, I actually agree with you for once.

I just don't care. Even if it is real, so what? We lose some land along the coast? Oh noez! We should build floating cities, now that would be badass, and nobody would have a damned thing to worry about.

• bluberryhazebluberryhaze Member Posts: 1,702

climate, as scientist have agreed(a consensus) is cyclical. it just so happens that during this time of human history we have nefarious shadow politicians that want power and money and control of the people of the world.

carbon credits, anyone?

-I will subtlety invade your psyche-

• LanmoragonLanmoragon Member Posts: 994

Even if humans havent contributed to the warming trend, I still dont think it hurts to cut how much crap we throw into the atmosphere and what we do/dont recycle and waste.  By no means am I an environmental wacko, but I see pictures of Beijing's air and how f*cked up it is and cant help not wanting to do my own little part.

• NierroNierro Member UncommonPosts: 1,755

This kinda reminds me of something.

• bluberryhazebluberryhaze Member Posts: 1,702

Originally posted by Nierro

and this global warming thing reminds me of the anti tobacco lobby. now we have $4 tax on 1 pack of smokes in NY. 

i cant wait to be hooked up to a machine that determines my lungs yearly output of CO2. and to be taxed accordingly.

-I will subtlety invade your psyche-

Originally posted by bluberryhaze

Originally posted by Nierro

and this global warming thing reminds me of the anti tobacco lobby. now we have $4 tax on 1 pack of smokes in NY. 

i cant wait to be hooked up to a machine that determines my lungs yearly output of CO2. and to be taxed accordingly.

You smoke. Liberals tax and spend. We get it.

• lomillerlomiller Member Posts: 1,810

The why are there thousands of papers published in top journals saying humans are causing the planet to warm and virtually none taking the opposite view?   Just because some shill on a blog someplace says "a question is unanswered" doesn't mean it is. 

None of those 31000 “scientists” actually do research or publish papers on the topic and you could get at least as many PhD’s to sign a petition saying UFO’s are real.  
    Originally posted by lomiller

None of those 31000 “scientists” actually do research or publish papers on the topic and you could get at least as many PhD’s to sign a petition saying UFO’s are real.  

I bet you could get many experts with PhD's to say that the WTC imploded too. The world doesn't respond to petitions.

OH and I did a google search on one of them and it showed up that he had a PhD in dentistry.  And on that...

"Virtually every scientist in every field got it," says Robert Park, a professor of physics at the University of Maryland at College Park and spokesman for the American Physical Society. "That's a big mailing." According to the National Science Foundation, there are more than half a million science or engineering PhDs in the United States, and ten million individuals with first degrees in science or engineering.

Arthur Robinson, president of the Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine, the small, privately funded institute that circulated the petition, declines to say how many copies were sent out. "We're not willing to have our opponents attack us with that number, and say that the rest of the recipients are against us," he says, adding that the response was "outstanding" for a direct mail shot.

http://archives.seattletimes.nwsourc...okers+petition

It was touted as a collection of thousands of scientists debunking global warming. So was that Perry Mason on the list? And John Grisham? What about that Spice Girl? [...]

Several environmental groups questioned dozens of the names: "Perry S. Mason" (the fictitious lawyer?), "Michael J. Fox" (the actor?), "Robert C. Byrd" (the senator?), "John C. Grisham" (the lawyer-author?). And then there's the Spice Girl, a k a. Geraldine Halliwell: The petition listed "Dr. Geri Halliwell" and "Dr. Halliwell."

Asked about the pop singer, Robinson said he was duped. The returned petition, one of thousands of mailings he sent out, identified her as having a degree in microbiology and living in Boston. "It's fake," he said.

http://www.sciam.com/page.cfm?sectio...A9809EC588EF21

Scientific American took a random sample of 30 of the 1,400 signatories claiming to hold a Ph.D. in a climate-related science. Of the 26 we were able to identify in various databases, 11 said they still agreed with the petition—one was an active climate researcher, two others had relevant expertise, and eight signed based on an informal evaluation. Six said they would not sign the petition today, three did not remember any such petition, one had died, and five did not answer repeated messages. Crudely extrapolating, the petition supporters include a core of about 200 climate researchers‐a respectable number, though rather a small fraction of the climatological community.

If you mail something on NAS letterhead, with a paper that pretends to be a PNAS publication, to nearly everyone in the country with a degree in science or engineering, you'll get a lot of responses. That doesn't mean that the survey can in any way be considered a legitimate view on what qualified scientists think.

http://www4.nationalacademies.org/ne...8?OpenDocument

"As of 2006 there were approximately 20,000 climatologists worldwide. 40 of those would equal .2%-- Also it is interesting to note that Exxon Mobile's lobby offers a $10,000 award to scientists and economists willing to publicly deny Global Warming..."

/thread. That petition is bullshit.

Global warming is junk science. There is no recession. We're safer then we were before. The surge is working. Everything is fine. Don't worry.

• LaserwolfLaserwolf Member Posts: 2,383

I believe in Global Warming and that we are causing a great deal of it. If I am wrong the air, water, and land is a little cleaner. If you are wrong you are being a puppet to Big Business which pumps millions of dollars into trying to make Global Warming a "He-Man v.s. Hippy" issue so people will be stupid enough to Fiercely defend pollution and manufacturers taking no steps to cut down on pollution.

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

Everyone has an agenda and it shows. Those who cannot control the weather will try to control each other.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• lomillerlomiller Member Posts: 1,810
    Originally posted by Draq

If you want to get rid of CO2, just plant more trees.

When trees die they decay and give off all the CO2 they absorbed. At best planting trees stores CO2 for a century or two. The only permanent way carbon is removed is the formation of limestone, which is a very slow process. 

If we stopped emitting CO2 today levels in the atmosphere would drop as the carbon worked its way through the ecosystem, but since the carbon is still there and the carbon cycle is still running, CO2 levels in the atmosphere would remain elevated for several million years.  
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Err, that a lot of the gases and liquids we create ARE poisonous is a scientific fact, not a matter of speculation. Global warming is also not a theory which we can believe, it is a fact that can be measured and proven. The probability that the global warming is man made is significantly higher than any other explanation, it is the common sense of a VAST majority of scientists, how can one NOT see it? Its not a matter of believe, its a matter of scientific proof.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• abbabaabbaba Member Posts: 1,143

Coldest winter in the last 30 years in North America...record snowfalls all over the place, including my my home.....yep, global warming.../whatever

Originally posted by abbaba

Coldest winter in the last 30 years in North America...record snowfalls all over the place, including my my home.....yep, global warming.../whatever

If it's not tangible then it doesn't exist. Right?

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Global Conspiracy if you ask me.  Someone is going to make gobs of money on this Global Warming BS.   The earth heats up and cools in cycles.  Scientist have known this for years.    The sun goes through periods of high and low level activity for one - it pulses.   Also, all it takes is one good volcanic erruption and we're going to see the earth cool down again.

Krakatoa Erruption of 1883

"Global climate

In the year following the eruption, average global temperatures fell by as much as 1.2 degrees Celsius. Weather patterns continued to be chaotic for years, and temperatures did not return to normal until 1888. The eruption injected an unusually large amount of sulfur dioxide (SO2) gas high into the stratosphere which was subsequently transported by high-level winds all over the planet. This led to a global increase in sulfurous acid (H2SO3) concentration in high-level cirrus clouds. The resulting increase in cloud reflectivity (or albedo) would reflect more incoming light from the sun than usual, and cool the entire planet until the suspended sulfur fell to the ground as acid precipitation.[9]"

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Originally posted by abbaba

If you're going to argue for something then at least attempt to be consequent. Pretty much everyone who argues that Global Warming is a big conspiracy will tell you that the weather is variable there things like this is to be expected. What we will see, if the global warming is real, is a steady increase in temperature, i.e. a trend. Saying that "ups, this summer it was quite cold, so global warming can't exist" is just trying to escape reality by considering every argument, regardless of stupidity, as a strong one.

• goobamagoobama Member Posts: 35
    Originally posted by Teala

Global Conspiracy if you ask me.  Someone is going to make gobs of money on this Global Warming BS.   The earth heats up and cools in cycles.  Scientist have known this for years.    The sun goes through periods of high and low level activity for one - it pulses.   Also, all it takes is one good volcanic erruption and we're going to see the earth cool down again.
    Krakatoa Erruption of 1883
    "Global climate
    In the year following the eruption, average global temperatures fell by as much as 1.2 degrees Celsius. Weather patterns continued to be chaotic for years, and temperatures did not return to normal until 1888. The eruption injected an unusually large amount of sulfur dioxide (SO2) gas high into the stratosphere which was subsequently transported by high-level winds all over the planet. This led to a global increase in sulfurous acid (H2SO3) concentration in high-level cirrus clouds. The resulting increase in cloud reflectivity (or albedo) would reflect more incoming light from the sun than usual, and cool the entire planet until the suspended sulfur fell to the ground as acid precipitation.[9]"

Money????? where!?!?!? how?!!?! Your blind if you cant see that oil companies are making RECORD profits and that they are funding denial of global warming. know why? because they know that there oil is destroying this world and that they do not want an alternative fuel. www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2006/sep/20/oilandpetrol.business

P.S. next time don't get your info from wikipedia. hell i could edit that. next time come here with a legitimate and maybe someone will believe you.

• AnkuaAnkua Member Posts: 64

Psst!  Want to know a secret?

The big bad oil companies are not the only ones making massive profits over oil.  Think hard about who really is making a profit. In the U.S. an oil company makes about four cents profit per gallon of gas. Did you know the government makes fifteen cents per gallon for doing absolutely nothing.

Now I ask you who is the true profiteer of the oil crisis?  Don't ever expect gas to go down because your governments are making too much money over it now.

As far as the carbon credits thing goes... Who do you think will pay for the so called greening of the world? All costs are passed down to the consumers thats you silly. Get ready for a real economic world wide melt down if they actually pull of this swindle. Yes,  people will die by the millions but hey they are the poor who cares right?

Cause and effect my friend cause and effect.

• arvainisarvainis Member Posts: 548

There is global warming and a tiny portion of it is man made.  The majority of global warming is just the natural cycles of the Earth.  I have no problem with going green and being more "planet friendly"  What I do have a problem with is governement man dates, lies that the world will be destroyed in 25 years, the false economic crisis over global warming, the lies about oil and how little is left (there is a S-Load of oil left, more then enough to carry us into a new technology cheaply), the individuals profiting from the hysteria (Al Whore...I mean Gore), and all the other BS surrounding this issue.  The love of money is the root of evil, you can see it everywhere in this world including these ecomaniacs.

"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." ~ Ronald Reagan

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

Two quick Questions:

What's the largest source of CO2 on the planet?

Answer: Plankton in the ocean.

What's the most common green house gas on the planet?

Answer: Water Vapor.

I got both of those facts out of a college level Earth Science textbook that was published two years ago. Yeah the green house effect is real, but to assume that we have anything to do with it is to assume that, as a species, we are more powerful than the Sun, the Moon, the Tides, and the Shifting of Tectonic Plates. You do realize that only 20% of the human population is considered "industrialized" right?

And have you noticed that you have to buy a lot of overpriced thing in order to be "environmentally friendly?" You need florescent light bulbs (filled with mercury), biodeisel hybrid cars (that are less efficient and deplete the food supply), Solar Electric panels (that are expensive as hell and less efficient than ANY other means of electrical generation), organic food (costs less to produce and costs more to purchase), and a host of other green labeled shit that you could purchase for much less if it wasn't for the green label.

Wouldn't you be less of a drag on the environment if you just bought less shit? You know, grow your own vegetables, ride a bike to the store, read a book (that you got at the library), etc.... I know, I know, that might inconvenience you personally.

Meanwhile, hospitals in South Africa have to choose between running the lights or the refrigerator that stores medicine and vaccines because the UN won't let South Africa set up power plants which means that the "hospital" has to make due with one solar panel for electricity! Environmental interest groups talked Zambia out of accepting TONS of food that could have saved MILLIONS from starvation because the food gown from crops that were genetically modified to produce a higher yeild. Many South American countries are being told that they can't develop more farmland to FEED THEIR PEOPLE because it would mean clear cutting what the UN has declared as "rain forest."

You know what the environmental movement is really all about? Guilt. It's the exact same business the church has been in for years. Now, thanks to the constant scare tactics media, anyone can play that market. You feel bad because you think you have too much and you feel powerless against things you're commanded to be afraid of. Good News! Just buy our products and services and clear your conscience!

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586
    Originally posted by Nasica

Originally posted by Jimmy_Scythe

Two quick Questions:
    I got both of those facts out of a college level Earth Science textbook that was published two years ago. Yeah the green house effect is real, but to assume that we have anything to do with it is to assume that, as a species, we are more powerful than the Sun, the Moon, the Tides, and the Shifting of Tectonic Plates. You do realize that only 20% of the human population is considered "industrialized" right?
    And have you noticed that you have to buy a lot of overpriced thing in order to be "environmentally friendly?" You need florescent light bulbs (filled with mercury), biodeisel hybrid cars (that are less efficient and deplete the food supply), Solar Electric panels (that are expensive as hell and less efficient than ANY other means of electrical generation), organic food (costs less to produce and costs more to purchase), and a host of other green labeled shit that you could purchase for much less if it wasn't for the green label.
    Wouldn't you be less of a drag on the environment if you just bought less shit? You know, grow your own vegetables, ride a bike to the store, read a book (that you got at the library), etc.... I know, I know, that might inconvenience you personally.
    Meanwhile, hospitals in South Africa have to choose between running the lights or the refrigerator that stores medicine and vaccines because the UN won't let South Africa set up power plants which means that the "hospital" has to make due with one solar panel for electricity! Environmental interest groups talked Zambia out of accepting TONS of food that could have saved MILLIONS from starvation because the food gown from crops that were genetically modified to produce a higher yeild. Many South American countries are being told that they can't develop more farmland to FEED THEIR PEOPLE because it would mean clear cutting what the UN has declared as "rain forest."
    You know what the environmental movement is really all about? Guilt. It's the exact same business the church has been in for years. Now, thanks to the constant scare tactics media, anyone can play that market. You feel bad because you think you have too much and you feel powerless against things you're commanded to be afraid of. Good News! Just buy our products and services and clear your conscience!

Think of it like two equally weighted objects on two ends of a scale.

Its not a question of more or less. Its a question of destroying an equilibrium that has existed for 1000s of years. You add just a little bit more weight to one side.... and eventually that whole side of the scale collapses causing the other end of the scale to rise just as rapidly.

As for water being the most common green house gas. This is entirely true, and even more of a reason to arrest the global warming trend as warmer air holds more water vapour thus amplifying any effect produced by CO2 emissions.

No. No I'm not. The entire human race doesn't even come remotely close to say... the CO2 emissions of volcanoes per year. We add almost one hundredth of a percent of the CO2 emitted by natural phenomenon.

Your point about water vapor rings true except... our current "answer" to fossil fuels is hydrogen cell technology. What do hydrogen cars emit? Yep, water vapor.

You know what's really interesting? A push lawn mower emits more CO2 than your average car, but it's really hard to find an old school push powered mower. Or even an electric mower for that matter. No one has marketed a hybrid or hydrogen push mower either.

Environmentalists have their hearts in the right place. Too bad their brains are somewhere else...

Originally posted by Jimmy_Scythe

Two quick Questions:

Its not a question of more or less. Its a question of destroying an equilibrium that has existed for 1000s of years. You add just a little bit more weight to one side.... and eventually that whole side of the scale collapses causing the other end of the scale to rise just as rapidly.

As for water being the most common green house gas. This is entirely true, and even more of a reason to arrest the global warming trend as warmer air holds more water vapour thus amplifying any effect produced by CO2 emissions.

1000's of years?!?!  LMFAO  OMG  Can't.....stop...laughing.....haha

Ahem ok I think the planet is a little older then 1000s of years old.  It has survived massive volcanic eruption, struck by meteors and perhaps comets, been frozen over at least once in its history and only God knows what else.  To think that human can destroy this planet in 100 years of our industrialized society is pure ARROGANCE.  I would call it IGNORANCE also as you have only a faint clue on what this planet has gone through and it has been far worse then anything we have done.  Think of it as a scale....on one side put common sense and on the other side put the brains of people who think like you.  The common sense would be like this planet and your side would be like a grain of sand.  Open your damn eyes and read a text book, the planet has been here and survived through far worse.  It was here before us and will be here after were gone until the Sun prepares to go supernova and expands.  And no it will not be a barren rock after we're gone it will fix itself and be blanketed in green just like before. 

"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." ~ Ronald Reagan

• BlomiBlomi Member Posts: 200

Oh I see.  Its like 2 equally weighted objects on 2 ends of a scale!  It all seems so clear and easy to understand now!  Well then, by all means, send a UN agent over to my house and put a pillow over my babys face until she stops emitting this deadly gas!  And for gods sake hurry!  We don't have much time left!

Ahhh the typical person who has been defeated in an argument starts pointing fingers away from the main subject.  OK so it will not go super nova.  Fact is NO CRAP the planet will not be green after the sun is gone.  I NEVER said that.  I said up until that point the planet will be fine.  Back on subject this whole equilibrium and slippery slope you keep talking about is a scare tactic.  My teachers in Middle and High School in the late 80's early 90's tried that BS.  Telling us Earth was going to wind up like Venus.  Rubbish.  If the planet does rapidly warm up there is nothing we can friggin do about it and it is most likely not 100% our doing, hell probably not even 10%.  We'll adapt or die.  To think that we can change the output of the sun, the wobble of our orbit around the sun, or anything else to do the science of our solar system is ARROGANCE. 

If you really want to change the world why don't you go over to China and protest their pollution.  Oh that's right you'll end up with a bullet in your brain and buried in a shallow grave somewhere.  But protestors have no problem sitting here whining expecting the government to fix everything for them.

PS If you had said 1000's and 1000's of years it would make sense, 1000's of years is like saying 2-5 thousand years.