Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NEW LAW - Permit Needed for SUV's, Van's, & Trucks

2»

Comments

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

Originally posted by goobama

Seriously, this should be a law. Do you know how much pollution these cars are causing? i admit they have their valid uses but they are more for show now than ever. Hell even today I saw one fricken old man in a UCon Denali. One of the biggest SUV's out their. Now do you think he needed that car? He could have bought a Civic or Prias for way cheaper and reduced his emisions. This is why our global warming is sending our planet to hell. Their should be a new law requiring a person to validate their reason for buying such a large car. This would help save our world.
    You really think that US car drivers are the reason global warming is sending our planet to hell?  I suggest you read up on greenhouse gases.  You might be surprised at where it all comes from.
  • daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695
    Originally posted by outfctrl

I dont know, but the way things are going, I wouldnt be surprised if some fee would apply to gas guzzlers.  Look at what the airlines are planning.  Flying by weight. 
    Anyone over 220 lbs would be charged extra.  Extra $$ for heavier bags too.
    Then again, if you can afford big SUV's and Luxury cars, you can afford extra costs. 

The airlines are looking at that because of the way they do their planning for fuel and aircraft weight and balance calculations.  The older airplane airframes were designed from the standpoint of the average passenger weight being 180 lbs and carrying 35 lbs of luggage.  Heavier people and baggage means weights and balances are higher, power settings for cruise are higher, fuel requirements are higher, strain on engine and airframe are higher.  Overall expenses go up as aircraft weight goes up much more than people think.  I don't blame them, it's expensive to fly an aircraft for hire.

• NetzokoNetzoko Member Posts: 1,271

The OP's mindset frightens me.

-------------------------

• olddaddyolddaddy Member Posts: 3,356

Seriously, this should be a law. Do you know how much pollution these cars are causing? i admit they have their valid uses but they are more for show now than ever. Hell even today I saw one fricken old man in a UCon Denali. One of the biggest SUV's out their. Now do you think he needed that car? He could have bought a Civic or Prias for way cheaper and reduced his emisions. This is why our global warming is sending our planet to hell. Their should be a new law requiring a person to validate their reason for buying such a large car. This would help save our world.

I have a better idea, why not a permit to hunt SUVs, Vans, and Trucks. We could have like, an open season. People set up SUV blinds at the side of the freeway, bait them with gasoline cans, shoot them, tie them to the bumper of their car, bring them home, and mount the front grill up over the fireplace.

• gnomexxxgnomexxx Member Posts: 2,920

Originally posted by gnomexxx

This has to be one of the craziest things I've read on this site.  You think people who drive trucks should have a permit? 
    I drive a truck.  I like having it because it comes in handy a lot.  I also just plain like trucks.  So what???  Get over your authoritative self.  You want to drive a little piece of crap, go right ahead.  It's called personal choice and freedom.  Don't like it?  Then tough.  Since when should people have to bow down to what you think is right?

What I think is right. Ha. Take a look at any Europian country. Notice how they barely have ANY large cars. Its because of gas prices and they are more concerned about the enviroment. But no, in the good ole' US of A we have conservative dick heads who could not give a rat's about the enviroment as long as it does not affect them.

Oh no, now according to you I don't give a rats ass about the environment.  Wrong again, yet you still think you should tell people what to do by using government.  No wonder your username is "Go Obama".  You're just another person who thinks it's okay to use the force of the governments guns to make people "behave". 

Why don't you move to one of those European countries if you think they are more suitable to your philosophy.  I do not want to ride around in a go cart with a covered shell over it.  I prefer my great big comfortable truck.

===============================

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

Originally posted by daeandor

I dont know, but the way things are going, I wouldnt be surprised if some fee would apply to gas guzzlers.  Look at what the airlines are planning.  Flying by weight. 
    Anyone over 220 lbs would be charged extra.  Extra $$ for heavier bags too.
    Then again, if you can afford big SUV's and Luxury cars, you can afford extra costs. 

The airlines are looking at that because of the way they do their planning for fuel and aircraft weight and balance calculations.  The older airplane airframes were designed from the standpoint of the average passenger weight being 180 lbs and carrying 35 lbs of luggage.  Heavier people and baggage means weights and balances are higher, power settings for cruise are higher, fuel requirements are higher, strain on engine and airframe are higher.  Overall expenses go up as aircraft weight goes up much more than people think.  I don't blame them, it's expensive to fly an aircraft for hire.

Makes sense.  I personally do not want to fly again.  I used to fly up to NY every Thanksgiving to visit my Mom.  She passed away in March.  The last trip I made was last thanksgiving.  There were so many delays, I ended up sleeping on the floor in Laguardia airport in the baggage area, the heat was out and I froze my butt off.

I will never fly again.  Everyone was so rude on top of it.   Some bum tried to rob me too.  LOL

• ladyattisladyattis Member Posts: 1,273

Originally posted by daeandor
    Originally posted by outfctrl I dont know, but the way things are going, I wouldnt be surprised if some fee would apply to gas guzzlers. Look at what the airlines are planning. Flying by weight.
    Anyone over 220 lbs would be charged extra. Extra $$ for heavier bags too.
    The airlines are looking at that because of the way they do their planning for fuel and aircraft weight and balance calculations. The older airplane airframes were designed from the standpoint of the average passenger weight being 180 lbs and carrying 35 lbs of luggage. Heavier people and baggage means weights and balances are higher, power settings for cruise are higher, fuel requirements are higher, strain on engine and airframe are higher. Overall expenses go up as aircraft weight goes up much more than people think. I don't blame them, it's expensive to fly an aircraft for hire.

Makes sense. I personally do not want to fly again. I used to fly up to NY every Thanksgiving to visit my Mom. She passed away in March. The last trip I made was last thanksgiving. There were so many delays, I ended up sleeping on the floor in Laguardia airport in the baggage area, the heat was out and I froze my butt off.
    I will never fly again. Everyone was so rude on top of it. Some bum tried to rob me too. LOL

I heard that some airlines are going to cut down on the short flights (anything less than 600 miles one way) since the cost of the fuel is now at parity with the cost of the flight itself. So, I think the SUV thing will kill itself anyways. I'm more interested in seeing regulations removed on electric cars. Hell, I'm a geek for free market capitalism and I ride a bike because I got better things to spend my cash on than refilling a 'light' truck vehicle twice a day. *shrugs*

-- Brede
  • CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

I have the solution.  More trains that operate 24/7.  Many major cities on the west coast are only intersected by 1 rail line.  Getting a rail ticket from San Diego to San Francisco costs in the upwards of $200 while a plane ticket is $75.  However, trains consume way less fuel.  Also increasing mass transit by offering some type of federal funding or tax benefit for a city increasing its mass transit.  The mass transit in my city is a joke.  It takes 4 hours to go 20 miles.

By offering better alternatives you can cut down on fuel consumption.  That and having an ad campaign on going green with mass transit.  You know those yuppies driving guzzling SUVs love thinking they are doing something for the environment.

• greymanngreymann Member Posts: 757

Originally posted by CleffyII

I have the solution.  More trains that operate 24/7.  Many major cities on the west coast are only intersected by 1 rail line.  Getting a rail ticket from San Diego to San Francisco costs in the upwards of $200 while a plane ticket is $75.  However, trains consume way less fuel.  Also increasing mass transit by offering some type of federal funding or tax benefit for a city increasing its mass transit.  The mass transit in my city is a joke.  It takes 4 hours to go 20 miles.
    By offering better alternatives you can cut down on fuel consumption.  That and having an ad campaign on going green with mass transit.  You know those yuppies driving guzzling SUVs love thinking they are doing something for the environment.

But that won't work see because then we won't be as dependant on oil and then they won't have an excuse anymore for environmental laws, wars and brutal popution control.  Fact is what we're experiencing is solar system warming.  Scientists have discovered melting on other planets and moons and have determined that the sun is going through a warming cycle.  Nothing we do can help it.  We just have opportunists in charge who are misleading us as to the real problem so we'll accept their solutions.

• lomillerlomiller Member Posts: 1,810

Originally posted by greymann

Fact is what we're experiencing is solar system warming.  Scientists have discovered melting on other planets and moons and have determined that the sun is going through a warming cycle.  Nothing we do can help it. 

There are satellites looking at the sun for the last 40 years, and it’s been cooling down slightly over that period. Of the 2 objects (out of 150) besides earth that are suspected to be warming the cause of 1 (Mars) is known, and it isn’t the sun. The other is Jupiter and while the cause isn’t known, of this possible warming isn’t known Jupiter generates far more internal heat then it gets from the sun. If it’s warming it’s probably due to some internal process.  
  • GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519

QQ if people want to drive a SUV they can and at the same price aswell. Im not a suv owner but damn they use alot more gas then me so they are hurting WAY MORE then i am at the pump and sooner or later they will get rid of there trucks. Global warming is a part of the EARTH. Why there are Ice age's. It gets hot then a big freeze happens. Watch Day after tomorrow and quit worrying about global warming it will get cold soon enough. Read up on the Little Ice Age. We can surivive this now a days so quit worrying about what other people do and worry bout how much the gas will be tomorrow.

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202
    Originally posted by fungistratus

Yeah i knew the anaology wasn;' the greatest one I made it up on the spot.
    Maybe the best way is to give a tax break to those who decide to buy a more efficient car. 
    Anyone against that idea?

The south?

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
    And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD

• bluberryhazebluberryhaze Member Posts: 1,702

a tax break for a more efficient car. i like that.

similar to some states who give tax incentives for efficient homes.

why increase taxes? how does that help global warming?

have donations and charities to help spread info(real, not code red, sky is falling info)to the people if money is tight for the 30 minute infomercials.

incentives, not punishment.

criminals get their shot at rehabilitation, so should the rest of us flat earth-ers.

rehabilitate us with spoon fed knowledge. dont stick a gun in our faces and rob us.

-I will subtlety invade your psyche-

• greymanngreymann Member Posts: 757
    Originally posted by lomiller

Originally posted by greymann

Fact is what we're experiencing is solar system warming.  Scientists have discovered melting on other planets and moons and have determined that the sun is going through a warming cycle.  Nothing we do can help it. 

There are satellites looking at the sun for the last 40 years, and it’s been cooling down slightly over that period. Of the 2 objects (out of 150) besides earth that are suspected to be warming the cause of 1 (Mars) is known, and it isn’t the sun. The other is Jupiter and while the cause isn’t known, of this possible warming isn’t known Jupiter generates far more internal heat then it gets from the sun. If it’s warming it’s probably due to some internal process.  

The reason we know they are warming is because there's water now where their once was ice.  These bodies are further away from the sun than us.  Why mention the many other bodies unless they had ice and are close enough to the sun to have melted.  They don't even figure into the arguement.  The jupiter thing is dumb because it's speculation that Jupiter is getting more hot when you should just look for the known major source of heat.  With mars you just claim it isn't the sun.  So what is it if not the main source of heat: the sun?  I guess you can find a scientist somewhere to say whatever you want.  I chose the ones who make more sense and don't work for the social agenda of the elites.  Even without powerful backing there are numerous reports that the sun is increasing in heat.

• solmkassolmkas Member Posts: 34

I love my X5 and Yukon. I'm going to buy SUV again, again and again for sure. It is personal choice.

Global warming? I don't care whatever happen after I died. Why should I?

Permission, tax,....are you crazy??

• grimweepergrimweeper Member Posts: 2,047
    Originally posted by fungistratus

It is yours... the gas is everyones.
    EDIT: Making this clearer. 
    If we have a dozen eggs and 24 people to feed. The most logical thing to do would be split the eggs up evenly.  This huge fat ass comes along and says I want 2 eggs.  Well, that would leave out 4 people from getting any eggs.  Solution:  Make fatty mcfatterson pay extra for his eggs and with the extra  profit buy new eggs for the other 4.
    See your idea that what I paid for is mine leaves people out.  This idea doesn't.  And everyone gets what they want.
    Your idea would have fatty mcfatterson eating more and more of the shared eggs keep gaining weight and and eventually he would be killed and eaten by the starving 4 people. 
    Why does a Fatty McFatterson steak sound good right now?

I see where your coming from but  fatty mcfatterson technically speaking maybe can only survive on 2 eggs because her body is less efficient, while other people can survive on leftovers because their bodies are more efficient.  Everyone is happy in this situation because they are all happy to be alive and we dont really accomplish anything by making fatty pay more because lets say eggs are like gas, we cant just go out and find new egg reserves and even if we can theyll all be empty soon so we cant go out and produce eggs from nothing, eventually everyone will die and thats that.  Plants prevail in this situation because they make their own food from an endless supply we rely on something taht is limited (hypothetically in this case).  Moral of story: making someone taht needs more to pay extra fees accomplishes nothing if we must do without it sooner or later.

Just because someone owns an SUV doesnt mean they use more gas then someone who owns a regular sedan, for example person1 owns an SUV that gets 10mpg and travels to work 10 miles away then we have person2 who owns a regular sedan that gets 20 mpg but works 40 miles away.  Person 2 is actually using more gas so maybe we should tax them instead becuase he decides he'd rather commute 40 miles 5 days a week wasting "our" gas rather then buy a home lets say 5 miles away.

• goobamagoobama Member Posts: 35
    Originally posted by solmkas

I love my X5 and Yukon. I'm going to buy SUV again, again and again for sure. It is personal choice.
    Global warming? I don't care whatever happen after I died. Why should I?
    Permission, tax,....are you crazy??

That mindset is a VERY scary one to have.Your one of the egotistical maniacs who says "hey, it doesn't affect me so why should i give a shit about it!" 

• hazmatshazmats Member Posts: 1,081

GEORGE BUSH IS A TYRANT. I WANT TO FORCE YOU TO BE ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY!

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    Originally posted by tvalentine

cows produce more pollution then cars .... i say we eat as much steak as we can till the problem is fixed

HAHAHAHA FTW!!!

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter