Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I thought about coming back but i have a few questions

BrotheryangBrotheryang Member UncommonPosts: 174

I have read some of the other post so i know the server population is doing well. My question is how are the lower levels? i want to start over and from what i remember when i played close to launch it was hard to solo. Can i get good team and level or had they made it more solo friendly?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• airborne519airborne519 Member Posts: 542
    Originally posted by Brotheryang

I have read some of the other post so i know the server population is doing well. My question is how are the lower levels? i want to start over and from what i remember when i played close to launch it was hard to solo. Can i get good team and level or had they made it more solo friendly?

Thanks in advance

Leveling in the lower levels is easier now with some of the changes they implemented.  All classes are soloable also. However, I would recommend getting into a good sewer group in the beginning to zoom to your travel powers. Teams are painless once you get used to them.

• AmarsirAmarsir Member UncommonPosts: 703

I'm going to disagree a little - sewers are for old players with new alts, not new players. Even though you've played before, I wouldn't recommend starting there - too much is taken for granted about what you already know. (There was a post on here not long ago from a new player who got invited onto a sewer team their first session and got totally confused.)

Although it varies by character, soloing is easy at first, harder in the teens, and picks up again in the late 20s to 30s. I do or don't solo with just about any character as it suits me, sometimes preferring the challenge. But if you know you're going to solo a bit, pick a character with that in mind:

Heroes = Scrapper, maybe tanker. (I like soloing on a blaster, but it's a very risky gamble sort of feeling, not for the uninitiated.) Most defenders or controllers would have a disadvantage soloing.

Villains = any. The game was designed with more solo capability in mind. I'd say Corruptors and Dominators are less solo-worthy than the other 3, but not bad.

And don't be in a rush to raise your difficulty. XP was increased at most levels recently, so you should only raise the difficulty if you want more challenge, not for more reward.

Currently playing:
    DC Universe
    Planetside 2
    Magic Online
    Simunomics, the Massive Multiplayer Economic Simulation Game. Play for free.

• therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

I'll agree with Amarsir on that -- some sewer teams get a bit impatient with new players.  I've actually made a habit of checking badges to figure out who is really new and then chat with them on the side as necessary to help guide them through (I roll alts fairly often.)

As for the lower levels, you will probably solo through the first 5-6 levels in AP or GC, then move to KR (as I'm sure you may remember.)  At that time, you should be getting a decent feeling about your powers and that is the time to start grouping. 

Possibly since you've been gone, the Paragon Police Department (PPD) has been added to most zones.  The PPD gives you a radio for running impromptu missions and after completing three, you will get a major safeguard (hero) or mayhem (villain) mission.  When you get to KR, you'll probably see a lot requests for those teams and you should probably get into one but announce it is your first time.  Peopleare good with explaining that from what I've seen. 

Anyway, typically the first safeguard mission is to protect Atlas Park Bank and from it you'll get a temporary travel power -- a flying jetpack.  The second safeguard mission is to protect Kings Row bank and from there you get a jump jet power.  Both of these powers last for 2 hours of in game use and are a GREAT to use until you get to at least 14 when you can takeyour first real travel power.  I've actually managed to stretch mine out to level 18 with judicious use.

Once you get those powers, then you'll likely be sent over to the Hollows to run a pair of fun story arcs -- you'll find good teaming opportunities there through possibly level 12-14.

Hope that helps!

• themiltonthemilton Member Posts: 353

Originally posted by Amarsir

And don't be in a rush to raise your difficulty. XP was increased at most levels recently, so you should only raise the difficulty if you want more challenge, not for more reward.

Your first time back through, you may want to leave your difficulty on Heroic as you re-learn your way around. But as you roll alts, don't be afraid of increasing the difficulty. I can't remember what it costs a lvl 1 or lvl 2 toon to change his reputation, but it's not much. I usually set mine to Rugged as soon as I exit the tutorial (after fighting some street crime to earn influence first). With no XP debt until level 10, there is little consequence to upping the difficulty. Really, the only drawback is the frustration of frequently dying and having to sprint back to your mish from the hospital.

-------------
    The less you expect, the more you'll be surprised. Hopefully, pleasantly so.

• BrotheryangBrotheryang Member UncommonPosts: 174

Thanks everyone for the advice. I have been playing for about two days now and got a blaster to level 16. everyone was right about the sewers but i adapted pretty well once i got my camera angles right * the up and down of the sewers messed it up *. I love this game though, its a game where i can hop on for 30mins and get something done without trying to find the biggest and best gear.

• AmarsirAmarsir Member UncommonPosts: 703

Originally posted by themilton
    Originally posted by Amarsir And don't be in a rush to raise your difficulty. XP was increased at most levels recently, so you should only raise the difficulty if you want more challenge, not for more reward.
    Your first time back through, you may want to leave your difficulty on Heroic as you re-learn your way around. But as you roll alts, don't be afraid of increasing the difficulty. I can't remember what it costs a lvl 1 or lvl 2 toon to change his reputation, but it's not much. I usually set mine to Rugged as soon as I exit the tutorial (after fighting some street crime to earn influence first). With no XP debt until level 10, there is little consequence to upping the difficulty. Really, the only drawback is the frustration of frequently dying and having to sprint back to your mish from the hospital.
    Actually, I'm going to agree with you. Post i-12 there's a built in accuracy bonus to new characters (scaling back until you hit 20) so fighting +2s isn't so hard.

However, debt was never the reason not to scale the difficulty up. The reason is that if you aren't ready for it, you take 3 times as long to earn 40% more xp. As exemplified by this:

"Pull 1. Just one, that close minion."
    "Crap, two are coming. Stick together."
    Fightfightfight
    "I'm dead, anyone have an awaken?"
    Fightfightfight
    (5 minutes later)
    "Whew, both dead. Yeah, I have an awaken, here."
    all rest
    "Almost ready to pull another one?"
    "Not yet, give me a minute."
    "BTW, good xp."

Seeing a big number every few minutes is not as good as smaller numbers more frequently. Not to mention that getting stuffed by a boss can be frustrating. Compared to that, debt is nothing even when you do earn it.

Currently playing:
    DC Universe
    Planetside 2
    Magic Online
    Simunomics, the Massive Multiplayer Economic Simulation Game. Play for free.