Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how long until chars are deleted?

thebom007thebom007 Member Posts: 5

Knowing how long I can go not playing will determine if I ever start playing cause I get bored and I like to switch games alot but don't want to pay for a bunch of mmo's all the time.

Comments

• AnselAnsel Member Posts: 3

I don't know the specific time limit on retreiving canceled accounts, but I do know that I took a little over a year off and came back with no problem. I just never cancelled my account. I changed the payment info to a nonexistant credit card and they suspended my account for that period of time. When I came back I just put the correct info back in and reactivated my account.

• SatimasuSatimasu Member UncommonPosts: 900
    Originally posted by Ansel

I don't know the specific time limit on retreiving canceled accounts, but I do know that I took a little over a year off and came back with no problem. I just never cancelled my account. I changed the payment info to a nonexistant credit card and they suspended my account for that period of time. When I came back I just put the correct info back in and reactivated my account.

That's the same as canceling it. It stays active at least a year. My wifes cousin was forced to cancel the account over a year ago and just came back with it intact.

To be the best, you must help each other become the best.
    FFXI Character: Satimasu
    FFXI Server: Valefor
    FFXIV Character: Tamorae Fonteil

• My account hasn't been active for 5 years. I will tell you on sunday or later today if my characters exist on my old server =)

• thebom007thebom007 Member Posts: 5

Ya That would be cool if you could let me know that cause i've seen around here on the board that some people have come back and their chars were gone. So i'm pretty sure that they do get deleted eventually but nobody seems to know the exact time. I tried searching around for the info but was unable to find it.  If anyone can find a link to an article or anything that would be awesome as well.

• TrexorJdTrexorJd Member Posts: 27

I got my old account back from 03 this was late last year.  all i did was call them and give them my billing info and credit card first and last 4 and bam 45mins later i got everything back.

• thebom007thebom007 Member Posts: 5

Well i'm glad you got your account back. This seems to be a confusing issue for me as I've seen many people state that there char was deleted after they returned from a long hiatus. Any other examples from anyone would be nice. I'm starting to think they use to delete chars but stopped doing that after the game was out for a bit mabye?

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Originally posted by namelessbob

My account hasn't been active for 5 years. I will tell you on sunday or later today if my characters exist on my old server =)

You're from the US. The North American release isn't that old, it will be October 28.

As for getting back old accounts:

FFXI uses a lobby server which stores your data (account) for a period after cancelling your account, the lenght of this period has been changed several times, hence the confusion. When that period expires, they move your data over to offline storage, but they will not give any guaratees for how long this data will be saved. How soon they move the data after that period expires, seems to vary a lot.

While it's stored on the lobby server, you can automaticly revive your account by reactivating your subscribtion. After it's moved, you have to contact SE, because they have to move your data back to the lobby server, because if it's not there, reactivating your account will not be possilbe.

Some say that if your account has been inactive for x months (I hear all kinds of numbers), you need to buy a new copy of the game, too. I have no idea wheater that is true or not, though.

• drkspartandrkspartan Member Posts: 55

i was inactive for almost a year and came back with no problem.I do not thank that you would have to buy a new game what i understand happens is just that you have to restart from lvl one but you can still use the same game.