Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Man why are the graphics soo ugly?

2»

Comments

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Originally posted by Anti-Fanboi

Get used to that robe. You'll be wearing the same type of robe for the next 80 levels.

...So what's your point!  I've played before to lvl 50 at the time....   Doesn't bother me having the same style for the robe, as LOTRO does it also, so does WoW only have a few options, lets see EQ I believe...blah blah blah

Its about the content and game mechanics, the story and lore....as with all games I play graphics are nice, but they don't make or break a game for me...ever

• Anti-FanboiAnti-Fanboi Member Posts: 188

Originally posted by Khrymson

Get used to that robe. You'll be wearing the same type of robe for the next 80 levels.

...So what's your point! I've played before to lvl 50 at the time.... Doesn't bother me having the same style for the robe, as LOTRO does it also, so does WoW only have a few options, lets see EQ I believe...blah blah blah

Its about the content and game mechanics, the story and lore....as with all games I play graphics are nice, but they don't make or break a game for me...ever

Great if you are okay with that then it's fine. I on the other hand cannot get past the fact that the armor models in the game have not change since launch. The only thing that changed were the textures they used to slap on each piece of "new" armor pieace because even the devs know they can't produce new pieces due to their borked skeletal system.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

The only thing that changed were the textures they used to slap on each piece of "new" armor pieace because even the devs know they can't produce new pieces due to their borked skeletal system.

Could have sworn I read recently that SOE is working on fixing the skeletal system!  Maybe it was earlier in this thread, I just know I read it somewhere recently....

The game however is so much better than last I played, and thats what matters most for now!  Once above is fixed it'll only get even better, however I'll prolly be playing WAR so it'll be too late for SOE to coerce me into giving them money again! 

The free 60 days this summer it sweet though!

• ShastraShastra Member Posts: 1,061

If this game is ugly than i have no idea what good graphics mean. I am still on noob island and i am amazed by the character models and enverionment. Can't wait to see what other zones look like.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

I don't get it either. I find the art quite beautiful. Better than most games out there. And, unfortunately, I've played a bunch of MMO's.

Even many of the new games can't compete with EQ2. WoW, PoTB, PoTC, DDO, CoV, LOTRO.... not a single one of them even remotely compares to how good EQ2 looks. Especially in options to create the character. Most new just give a bunch of faces to choose from and thats it.

Its pure laziness the way they create character models now.

• BuzWeaverBuzWeaver Member UncommonPosts: 978

Originally posted by Khrymson

...So what's your point! I've played before to lvl 50 at the time.... Doesn't bother me having the same style for the robe, as LOTRO does it also, so does WoW only have a few options, lets see EQ I believe...blah blah blah

Great if you are okay with that then it's fine. I on the other hand cannot get past the fact that the armor models in the game have not change since launch. The only thing that changed were the textures they used to slap on each piece of "new" armor pieace because even the devs know they can't produce new pieces due to their borked skeletal system.

Then your argument is really about personal preference, which can be many different things to many different people. Variety is nice and so are graphics, but a game still needs to be compelling, substantive, meaningful and functional. I can appreciate and recognize your points, however its more superficial than substantive.

The Old Timers Guild
    Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!

www.oldtimersguild.com
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it. - Jef Mallett

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Originally posted by deepdish

It's very hard to point out what is sooo horrible about them but everyone I asked just said EQ2 graphics suck, even back in 2004. Everything just looks soooo plastic and fake looking and the worlds have sooo little detail and feel really barren and pre generated. Everything just feels very generic and ugly I just can't stay it and it's like they had to rush making the zones or something. The game just has no Art style at all and while I loved the look of the starter island and then Qeynos after that the game just went to crap and even the new zones it just all feels so fake.......

The most ugly plastic looking character models ever! I mean the Lizardman thing looks kool but the other races with human type skin just look sooo bad and specially the human Female model which looks like she's doped and the Asain models don't help because they're sooo emo and annoying and seem to not fit in with the rest of the games bland art style so they stick out like a sore thumb.

I dunno I just think the Graphics are the most horrible thing i've seen and it's a example that Art style wins over a poorly optimized engine.

I totally disagree,the graphics are awesome even by nowadays standards.I am not sure who started these false statements.There use of shaders and detail in the gear/textures makes cloth/metal look realistic.If you look at walls even on the gear and other places you can see the pitting and wear .It just has a very nice realistic look.Of course you have to really understand what you are looking at.This is why this game chunks a bit because it is loading some high poly stuff.

I have seen people call graphics nice when they are a total joke.Some games use one big texture and just plaster it onto something.An example would be a large BUS with one big texture that shows wheels/windows/doors yet none of it is seperated or defined.An example once again,i know i'm WOW bashing but there graphics are horrible and very cheaply done[well in some places,others there not that bad].I think the only place EQ2's graphics lacked is in the ground textures or the roads walkways,some of those look old school with no definition.Oh and i think the term is FAUNA?but they don't utilize much in the way of swaying grass/bushes,that's why vanguard was one notch upgrade in graphics and a little bit better looking.

Basically you are NOT going to get better graphics without introducing a higher level of physics and shaders by utilizing DX10,and i don't figure on ANY game doing a good job with that for at least another year or so.Unrealtournament is IMO still the leader but it's not built to be like an MMO giant sized game with 5000 players on a server.If i am not mistaken UT introduced much larger textures in there game i think you could import 1600x1600 now,but i'm not sure on that number so don't quote me.

EQ2's graphics are perfectly fine,nothing wrong with them.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519
    Originally posted by deepdish

It's very hard to point out what is sooo horrible about them but everyone I asked just said EQ2 graphics suck, even back in 2004. Everything just looks soooo plastic and fake looking and the worlds have sooo little detail and feel really barren and pre generated. Everything just feels very generic and ugly I just can't stay it and it's like they had to rush making the zones or something. The game just has no Art style at all and while I loved the look of the starter island and then Qeynos after that the game just went to crap and even the new zones it just all feels so fake.......

The most ugly plastic looking character models ever! I mean the Lizardman thing looks kool but the other races with human type skin just look sooo bad and specially the human Female model which looks like she's doped and the Asain models don't help because they're sooo emo and annoying and seem to not fit in with the rest of the games bland art style so they stick out like a sore thumb.

I dunno I just think the Graphics are the most horrible thing i've seen and it's a example that Art style wins over a poorly optimized engine.

the graphics suck because your not playing eq2.

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Actually EQ2's graphics are quite well done.... Though I think they made the newer zones (Kelethin, etc) a bit too wow-esque.... I was really dissapointed with the Fae race as well.  Faces look horrible.

But overall?  No I dissagree with the OP... EQ2's graphics are quite good.  I just re-installed it last night to check it out on the free 'come back to norrath for the summer' deal going on.

Doubt I'll stick with it beyond the free time but it's kind of fun to be back in norrath.  I still wish more MMO's would do voiceovers like EQ2 has.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• cellinecelline Member Posts: 11

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?start=345&topic_id=344003

To the OP : See for yourself. I KNOW EQ2's graphic looks somewhat (or sometimes) plastic and blocky but Norrath is actually very very beautiful to look around :)

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

I saw an image that just took my breath away in EQ2. It was night and I was in the water just outside South Qeynos. I made my character look down and it was at such an angle that I saw the moon and stars reflected in the water and with the high definition graphics on and the way the water was moving, it was just astoundingly beautiful. No other game has ever been able to match that image. Wish I had snapped a pic. Feel stupid now.

• ObadnoObadno Member Posts: 401
    Originally posted by celline

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?start=345&topic_id=344003

To the OP : See for yourself. I KNOW EQ2's graphic looks somewhat (or sometimes) plastic and blocky but Norrath is actually very very beautiful to look around :)

Wow those are incredible.....if anyone thinks the graphics in this game are bad then they just have horrible taste.

The new EQ2, better than ever befor !
    don't click this link...