Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Future Star Wars mmorpg.."Clone Wars" or "KOTOR 3 Online"?

2»

Comments

• Lord_ElrosLord_Elros Member Posts: 45

Unfortunately I do not have a link, it was from an article I read a while back. There is a chance that this as false, however it makes to much sence to believe so. If I am not mistaken, it was regarding talks about the bioware mmo, and the LA conection to it. We all know there are many rumors that the bioware mmo will be a KOROR one. They had made this annoucement in regards to some of these rumors. However I'm just going off memory here, so I could be wrong.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Originally posted by Exar_Kun

I agree...

Didn't Lucas say that the KOTOR IP "wouldn't get left behind?

Yup......LucasArts VP Nancy MacIntyre said this in 2006 > LINK

"as MacIntyre confirms: "We've also got Star Wars franchises like Knights of the Old Republic ... that we will not leave behind. It's very important to us that we grow those franchises."

+What also happend in 2006 was > LINK

"BioWare Licenses Simutronics HeroEngine for MMO Game Project, Austin Game Conference 2006"

regardless of that i still don't hope on a KOTOR MMO as everything what made me love Kotor simply can not be done....yet....and i feel it will also lose its strenght that it got from being a singleplayer RPG.

I would love to see a KOTOR 3 and a truly unique new type of MMORPG from bioware, prefured perhaps a complete new IP.

But still feel their safest bet would be a Clone Wars MMO.

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

it better be clone wars/old school star wars.  i hate KOTOR as i miss the boys in White.  i cant stand a star wars without clone troopers or storm troopers. (also the number of jedi is a tad off putting)

yes it will be WoW'ish (but it will be done in a MUCH better way than NGE)

no we wont see it til at the earliest 2009/10 and then you got the 3 year developement to sit through.

SOE will not be involved.  Lucas Arts is a smart company and they dont make the same mistakes twice (or they better not with this MMO)

i would love to see a WoW clone to begin with,  then a small combat update that makes it more complex, and then a full game overhaul that turns it into a complex skills based game and alienates its original fans.

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• Lord_ElrosLord_Elros Member Posts: 45

Wow, that is just retarded. Who in their right mind would make a game, and then change it so much that it would alienate its' own fans... oh wait, I think we've already seen that...

• GrandMan4GrandMan4 Member Posts: 30

Would anyone be made if it had similar "cartoon" graphics as the new clone wars movie?

• Realm-ReaperRealm-Reaper Member Posts: 501
    Originally posted by GrandMan4

Would anyone be made if it had similar "cartoon" graphics as the new clone wars movie?

I wouldn 't

• Exar_KunExar_Kun Member Posts: 242

Originally posted by Reklaw

I agree...

Didn't Lucas say that the KOTOR IP "wouldn't get left behind?

Yup......LucasArts VP Nancy MacIntyre said this in 2006 > LINK

"as MacIntyre confirms: "We've also got Star Wars franchises like Knights of the Old Republic ... that we will not leave behind. It's very important to us that we grow those franchises."

+What also happend in 2006 was > LINK

"BioWare Licenses Simutronics HeroEngine for MMO Game Project, Austin Game Conference 2006"

regardless of that i still don't hope on a KOTOR MMO as everything what made me love Kotor simply can not be done....yet....and i feel it will also lose its strenght that it got from being a singleplayer RPG.

I would love to see a KOTOR 3 and a truly unique new type of MMORPG from bioware, prefured perhaps a complete new IP.

But still feel their safest bet would be a Clone Wars MMO.

I remember that

• Force_FireForce_Fire Member Posts: 145

My bet is CLONE WARS....but what do I know right

Originally posted by Force_Fire

I'm going with the DAWN of DEFIENCE tie-in

who...what?

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

who...what?

The Dawn of Defiance Campaign 

who...what?

who...what?

Starwars Tabletop FTMFW!

who...what?

Starwars Tabletop FTMFW!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• BaronJuJuBaronJuJu Member UncommonPosts: 1,832

What, like....

"If we don't attack them, they will attack us first. So we'd better retaliate before they have a chance to strike"

• eq2jseq2js Member Posts: 94

1. CW

2. WoWish

3. before Christmas 2010 for sure, hopefully before Christmas 2009

4. Nobody is that stupid

Originally posted by BaronJuJu

What, like....

I would play it if....

1) PC only

2) Pre-CU / CU Rule set

3) Sandbox Gameplay

What we see above is for the DS and Wii

• Pants52Pants52 Member Posts: 68

i hope they just make it like the pre-cpu

• ObeeObee Member Posts: 1,550

I would play it if....
    1) PC only
    2) Pre-CU / CU Rule set
    3) Sandbox Gameplay

If that is your requirements to play a future Star Wars MMO, you'll never play another Star Wars MMO, outside of the flightless bird, but even that is getting a few extra feathers.

The next Star Wars MMORPG will not be a sandbox game.  There is no way LEC is going to gamble the license on something too far away from the WoW model.  It will be hard for the game to be worse than the current NGEtastic version, but it isn't going to replace the original version of the game.

Unfortunately, the next Star Wars MMO is going to be much more successful than SWG ever was, just due to the fact that WoW has made MMOs much more acceptable (when SWG launched, the general concensus among Star Wars fans was that they wouldn't consider paying a monthly fee to play a video game, WoW has made it much more acceptable among non-hardcore gamers).  This will make the folks in charge of LEC believe that the original SWG didn't do as well as expected because of the game mechanics.  The worst case scenerio of this will be that they will think the morons at SOE were actually right, as far as their reasoning for the NGE, and it might make them much more open to letting SOE mangle another of LEC's IPs.

Originally posted by Obee

I would play it if....
    1) PC only
    2) Pre-CU / CU Rule set
    3) Sandbox Gameplay

If that is your requirements to play a future Star Wars MMO, you'll never play another Star Wars MMO, outside of the flightless bird, but even that is getting a few extra feathers.

The next Star Wars MMORPG will not be a sandbox game.  There is no way LEC is going to gamble the license on something too far away from the WoW model.  It will be hard for the game to be worse than the current NGEtastic version, but it isn't going to replace the original version of the game.

Unfortunately, the next Star Wars MMO is going to be much more successful than SWG ever was, just due to the fact that WoW has made MMOs much more acceptable (when SWG launched, the general concensus among Star Wars fans was that they wouldn't consider paying a monthly fee to play a video game, WoW has made it much more acceptable among non-hardcore gamers).  This will make the folks in charge of LEC believe that the original SWG didn't do as well as expected because of the game mechanics.  The worst case scenerio of this will be that they will think the morons at SOE were actually right, as far as their reasoning for the NGE, and it might make them much more open to letting SOE mangle another of LEC's IPs.

Well to be fair, I would give any Star Wars mmorpg a shot. Just cause I love SW. If it sucked out loud, well I guess I would simply move on.

• MathosMathos Member Posts: 897

It will be wowish yes

depth who knows

fun to play who knows

time will tell

Originally posted by Mathos

It will be wowish yes
    depth who knows
    fun to play who knows
    time will tell

How do you know it will be WoWish?...you don't!