Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

it's not worth anymore for me... read this before u play. i beg u!!!

Comments

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    Originally posted by Weril

So in essence what you are saying is that Eve-Online is a game where anything is possible at any time and your own wits are sometimes the only difference between life and death?

Yeah, your own wits and the extreme advantage long time players have over you.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

OK, it's a few years since I played EVE and I've forgotten the correct name of some of the ship components so try not to flame to much....

Firstly, when I played, hi sec space was pretty safe and you only got attacked in low sec (0.5 and below). Is this still the case? Anyway, I was going to mine one day and a guy I'd met a couple of days ago asked if he could join me as it's safer in pairs so I said OK... so to cut a long story short... another ship joined us in the roid belt and started to attack me and then the other guy started to attack me too,turns out I got lured and into a trap... I was pissed at the time but saw the funny side later and learned my lesson... about a month later I met up with this guy in the another roid belt and he apologised and said it was good at the time but he felt guilty about it afterwards. I told him not to worry as it was a game and I saw the funny side of it later. We chatted for a bit and said our good byes... when he left the game about a week later he sent me a load of isk... which surprised me.  good people do bad deeds then redeem themselves...

OK, now to 0.0 space. I used to have a second account that I had a budding scientist on. The only lab space I could find was in 0.0 so when I ever went down there I used my minimatar frigate (not the probe, the faster mor combat oriented one). Anyway I fitted it out for speed and no weapons to save on power and cpu. I fitted one the real fast AB (not called an AB but you know what I mean), one of those things that stopped warp scrambling, I forget what else. Anyway, my main purpose was not to fight just get to the lab and grab whatever BPCs I had there and get back.  I think I got killed 1 time in 5 but having a fast cheap ship meant I didn't actually lose any isk.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if you play smart you can limit your deaths, you can never completely avoid them but you can limit them. Remember things like, don't get too close to the asteroid, face the direction ou want to warp out in case you find yourself in trouble. You will probably still die with overwhelming odds... but not as much as you would if you played dumb.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Originally posted by sbanting

I don't know why a game so complex doesn't have a system to help prevent or hinder griefers, instead it encorages it.

You know, griefers pay a subscription fee too.  That's one of the big challenges EVE has, making it fun for all sorts of players, from pirates to fleet admirals, and keep them paying their sub fees.

And truthfully, there is a counter to everything, even griefers, but some of the those options require group play to really be effective.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

I find what the OP is saying is quite true, I only started out a few days ago, started to enjoy it until i lost my first ship, was pretty pissed off about that, then lost my second, was even more annoyed, then lost my third and this was all in about 2 days, all 3 via missions that are stupidly hard for my lvl and why the hell would it ever give me such a mission i have no idea. Very odd system there, but hey its the game i suppose.
    Today came and well i was mining a bit, my mate was mining in a different asteroid belt and some guy desided to take his containers full of ore that he was just transfering to a corp member, so I desided to get my kestrel out and fly over, and my mate did the same in a similar ship. My mate really pissed off that some noob had taken his ore just to gank him, then we came and attacked him, it worked out he had a really expencive assualt ship and stopped him from warping, my mate eventually warped as we knew we stood no chance, i did the same. Very annoyed so we said wat happened to our corp and one of them said he'd check it out and take him out he said he did, so I thought I'd check it out, as soon as i went back into the area that guy unleashed everything he had at me, stopped me warping and blew my ship up in about 6 shots. This, I don't feel fun at all, yes i insured it but the fact I just came into the belt, didn't attack him and he just flew me up without me even attacking him is a bit...gay. I know before all the fanboi's have a go at me, and say its the game live with it blah blah blah, to be honest I think its not fun its just stupid how you just lose everything, even tho we were in a 0.8 security area, that meant nothing and that noob got away with stealing the ore and blowing my ship, all for wat? nothing, seriously wat is the mentallity of these people?
    The game is tooo slow for my liking, I'm not a WoW carebear or anything like that, I just like some action, and missions that are in some sort of order that I know if I take it I won't lose my ship no matter what I would of done. This game is a great sleeping pill, if you have trouble sleeping this game is for you :D

Failure on your part to do proper research about the game lead you to fall of one of the many well known tricks employed by griefers to get noobs to attack them.  I was aware of that tactic before I ever started playing, where as you fell for it.

But I've fallen for my own share of traps, including losing 100M Isk in datacores because I mistakenly flew them in a cheap destroyer and got suicide ganked. 

Sure, it pisses you off, but you learn to shrug it off and move on.

By the way, the correct counter to someone stealing your cans is to ignore them.  Its not worth much, their  cargo holds can't really hold a lot of it, and they'll tire quickly of the game and move on if you don't attack.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515

Originally posted by PoopyStuff

I like eve online
    I play it all the time

But your right...  the game does cater to griefers, and there's not really an anti pirate component for the community to rally around.
    its a shame
    I wish CCP had a good bounty system that works or a game mechanic that helps the community to poilce pirates or griefers.
    Agreed the systems to support ant-Pirates [such as the bounty system] are long overdue an Overhaul. Thankfully tho a dev did mention this some time ago so one day im sure we will hear more on this subject.

On the subject of Warp Core Stabalisers here is how they USED to work.

You fit it in a low power slot. It doesant use up and power to work just some CPU. It doesant need activating its a Passive module. It works 100% of the time unlike other modules which usually have a chance based system modulated by skills.

Basically the old version of the Warp Core Stabaliser had miniscule disadvantages compared to its advantages. One of EvE's tenants is "Risk V Reward", and at the time the Warp Core Stabaliser just didnt fit in with that concept [unlike every other module and ship], It took YEARS for a way of fixing it to be found as it was so hard to come up with a good way of fixing it due to what it was supposed to do.

Eventually the current system was found which while not universabally loved at least did 2 things.

1. It provided more disadvantages to match its big Advantage [works 100% of the time with consistant results]. Disadvantages such as reducing gun range by 50%.

2. The changes focussed the purpose of the module as a purly Transportation module rather than as a combat Module.

While you amy not agree with how it changed in the end that module needed focussing to a specific purpose and it needed a fare Disadvantage to fit in with the Risk Verses Reward system used Throughout EvE.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528

Op is probably somewhere complaining about an MMO being too carebear. :)

I love the ever-present danger in EVE. It's head and shoulders better and more realistic than newbie towns surrounded by max level NPC town guards. (Why aren't THEY doing the bloddy quests?) I've been playing only about a month in both high and low sec systems and have yet to be ganked. That might be pure luck, but once you get the hang of it, if I do get ganked, it will probably be because it was my own darn fault.

• nurglesnurgles Member Posts: 840

Originally posted by Hi-Five

It is funny to read fans of EVE defending their position...   I swear EVE players don't look in the mirror before typing a reply... so, if i were to summary their talking points on EVE:
    It is the new players fault for being a noob and stupid.  Deal with it.   You are going to die, there is nothing you can do about it.
    Am I right?  Seriously, if you analys their replies, you will see that you are no longer playing your game.  You have to do XYZ in order for you to be safe. WHY DOES NEW PLAYER HAVE  TO DO XYZ in order to be safe? So far we got a few replies and all of them have the same underlining theme.   Question to anyone that wants to waste 14.99...  Go read their forum on "War'Dec" and noobs killing.. You will get the same theme message.  
    Hey, it is your money....
    your problem is that you don't see that challenge can equal enjoyment. some people ehjoy a game with challenge.

BTW, you can be 100% safe in eve, don't undock and you can never be shot at. it is actually a real option as you can buy sell and offer courier missions. although you can be scheamed out your hard earned isk by players as well. not so safe after all

so basicly it is my money and i would rather buy a game that challenges me than one that doesn't.

• LordspamLordspam Member Posts: 15

I enjoy the fact that Eve has a steep learning curve and doesnt cater towards  the socially retarded.

It weeds out the weak, and is kinda Darwinian.

-LORD SPAM

• WuuduuWuuduu Member Posts: 62

Lot of small kids thinks from previous games, theyre The Best, theyre the Biggest Heroes, SuperMans and they like their e-pen jerking at super-duper-mega-cool equiped characters.

Then, they - Best of the Best - tried EVE, and... mirracle, somebody kicked theyr super-mega-hyper-asses, THAT S really UNFAIR, they were ALWAYS the best, most dangerous, untouchable,... WTF is that yet?

What a stupid game.

• aparatusaparatus Member Posts: 17

@OP Im playing EVE a long time now, can you tell me why should i care to kill a noob like you? Me and most of the old players have way better things to do than killing noobs in empire...

You probably got killed by a noob like you, better ask yourself  "why the f*** did i let that noob kill me?" instead of crying that you got killed by some uber duper super force of evil.

• squeeesqueee Member Posts: 722

If you think that's the worst part of EVE you've obviously never been in a system with 1200 players trying to defend a POS that is currently building a Titan.  And when I say in system I mean server crashing for  5 hours straight and still loosing the POS and CCP replacing nothing.

• MagicManICTMagicManICT Member UncommonPosts: 92

I just feel like fanning the flames... (just a bit)

First off, does the OP really understand what a PvP game is? An open PvP game means anyone can attack anyone at any time. Consequences for actions or not. Many games have this sort of content (other than EvE). WoW, EQ, and EQ2, just to name a few I've played recently, all have open PvP content on specified servers where you can get ganked anywhere. (although to the games economic detriment, there is little, if any, monetary loss from it, just player time.) Other MMORPGs are fully PvP, no avoiding it.

EVE at least has the advantage that a relatively new character can actually challenge a two (or three or four... maybe i'm stretching it, maybe not) year old character. I have a guy I hang out with in chat that pirates with a 900k sp character in an incursus, and routinely takes out older, more skilled characters. Can a level 10 even hope to take out a level 60 on a WoW PvP server? can 50 level 10s hope to do it? (answer: depends on the target character and the attackers. EQ and EQ2 aren't even possible to my knowledge.)

One of the downsides of all the PvP games I've played is the mob mentality. Just like in real life, why send one guy with a gun after another with a gun when 20 or 30 works better, nearly guarantees getting the guy, and decreases the odds anyone on your side will get hurt? (What do you think SWAT is for?)

I think several people have made valid points, but all the cliches are meaningless to a player just starting. EVE, just like any other MMO, needs to have the instruction manual read before you actually start playing. The fact that it's a PvP game means you need to read beyond what instructions have come with the game and to be ready to take losses. If you can't reconcile that before you start playing, don't start.

For those that can't reconcile with PvP combat, you can always go play Hello Kitty.

To answer the OP's two bullet points: Never been suicide attacked. The only people I know that do get suicided are those that are worth the loss or have pissed off the attacker. Otherwise, people try to bait you into attacking. Wardecs: there's a lot of ways to deal with these.

• Sylar3Sylar3 Member Posts: 118

I have actually never been attacked in high sec so but i do think you have to be careful, which is what I love if a game can give you a minor heart attack everytime you move around i think it has something special. Also don't trust anyone, even your friends, they might be good to chat with but if you trust them you will probably  get burnt...but thats the nature of the game.

• GramisGramis Member Posts: 99

Originally posted by gholston

Originally posted by PoopyStuff

I like eve online
    I play it all the time

But your right...  the game does cater to griefers, and there's not really an anti pirate component for the community to rally around.
    its a shame
    I wish CCP had a good bounty system that works or a game mechanic that helps the community to poilce pirates or griefers.

I play in the Corporation "Jericho Fraction", and we kill pirates all the time. On a daily basis actually. Eve is completely open ended. The way to stop pirates is to kill them... plain and simple.

Yes, Jericho Fraction is totaly into pirate killing busines  .

And i am curios how much did the OP lost to make him cry so hard. And yes a i know virtual spaceship games are serious busines.

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449

words can't xplain how insane it is for new players to start.  you can read  all the fanboy threads.. but even fan boys will be hard to explain this simple logic.  This is what you are paying 14.99 for:
    More experience players can kill you anytime.  If they can't, they can do the following things:
    1. war'dec you (granted permission to kill you anywhere) 

2. Sudicide attack, (attacking you at their lost)

you can read all the explainations, justification, and EvE's "love me" threads.. but the bottom line, if someone want to kill you... THERE IS NOT THING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT.. what does is this mean? imagine you spent 1 mth working for cash to buy a nice shield, sword, armors and spells, but out of nowhere some more high level player just gank on you.  Once you are dead, all items are gone and so is your 1 mth hard labor!!

it is your 14.99... you are more than welcome to throw it away.  EVE older players are looking for more noobs to kill.. please  be a victim!!!

um, it's my 350-400m isk per 3 months.

who are you pissing off that is going to war dec you just to repeatedly kill you?  are you mouthing off constantly to people, and were surprised when they decided to do something about it?

just curious, because this OP is a bit... odd.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

Originally posted by Rytif

Originally posted by jusomdude

Originally posted by Weril

So in essence what you are saying is that Eve-Online is a game where anything is possible at any time and your own wits are sometimes the only difference between life and death?

Yeah, your own wits and the extreme advantage long time players have over you.

{ Mod Edit } The time it takes you to train a ship that is capable of competing with an experienced player is largely less than the time it takes you to get all your gear and PvP in WoW with a fair chance. The only advantage they have is the ability to use multiple ships at different situations. Don't you think a company who invests millions into their games have already thought this procedure out? { Mod Edit }

this is true, but not really.

you CAN get into a decent pvp ship pretty quickly.  you can't max out all the skills to utilize that ship to it's maximum potential in a short amount of time.

navigation, electronics, engineering, mechanic <<< each of those areas has a plethora of skills that if you're not maxed, you can't use t2 for offense/defense/jamming/rigs/etc.

then you have gunnery/missiles/drones, which as a minnie pilot, you end up needing all three.

spaceship command for the ship(s) you want to fly.

are you flying with mates?  any of you have a bunch of leadership skills trained up to give a plethora of bonuses?

then, how are you getting the money together to trick your ride?  are you running missions (bunch of social skills to get maximum effect from missions).  are you mining and/or building and selling stuff? (industrial skills)  are you trading on the market?  (trade skills)

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

Originally posted by eq2js

another reason not to play the game...its so boring that i ended up falling asleep when i was trying to...
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    um....the....tutorial....i.......brb......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......
    2 hours later...
    omg /install that!

the tutorial is entirely optional.  you aren't forced to complete it.  ever.

of course, odds are that most people aren't quick and intelligent enough to pick up on how TO play/survive in eve if they did skip the tutorial; but that is another topic altogether.

I find what the OP is saying is quite true, I only started out a few days ago, started to enjoy it until i lost my first ship, was pretty pissed off about that, then lost my second, was even more annoyed, then lost my third and this was all in about 2 days, all 3 via missions that are stupidly hard for my lvl and why the hell would it ever give me such a mission i have no idea. Very odd system there, but hey its the game i suppose.
    Today came and well i was mining a bit, my mate was mining in a different asteroid belt and some guy desided to take his containers full of ore that he was just transfering to a corp member, so I desided to get my kestrel out and fly over, and my mate did the same in a similar ship. My mate really pissed off that some noob had taken his ore just to gank him, then we came and attacked him, it worked out he had a really expencive assualt ship and stopped him from warping, my mate eventually warped as we knew we stood no chance, i did the same. Very annoyed so we said wat happened to our corp and one of them said he'd check it out and take him out he said he did, so I thought I'd check it out, as soon as i went back into the area that guy unleashed everything he had at me, stopped me warping and blew my ship up in about 6 shots. This, I don't feel fun at all, yes i insured it but the fact I just came into the belt, didn't attack him and he just flew me up without me even attacking him is a bit...gay. I know before all the fanboi's have a go at me, and say its the game live with it blah blah blah, to be honest I think its not fun its just stupid how you just lose everything, even tho we were in a 0.8 security area, that meant nothing and that noob got away with stealing the ore and blowing my ship, all for wat? nothing, seriously wat is the mentallity of these people?
    The game is tooo slow for my liking, I'm not a WoW carebear or anything like that, I just like some action, and missions that are in some sort of order that I know if I take it I won't lose my ship no matter what I would of done. This game is a great sleeping pill, if you have trouble sleeping this game is for you :D

well, there's your problem... you were sleeping instead of destroying that mean guy.  maybe if you hadn't been sleeping, you could've blown him up.

oh wait, i guess the contradictions in the quoted lost me...

• JhughesyJhughesy Member Posts: 419

It is the new players fault for being a noob and stupid.  Deal with it.   You are going to die, there is nothing you can do about it.
    Am I right? 

No, your wrong. The noob can stay in high sec space and also stay in the starter npc corporation. They are very safe there.

If they begin to take risks then that is their responsibility and will either learn pretty fast not to or come to forums whining to quit. I know which player I would rather have in Eve. The rest can go to Wow for all I care.

• DianasteDianaste Member Posts: 6

Every start is hard. I was noob once but i didnt feel , never, anything like u felt (according to ur post, it seems that all pirates hunt only you!?) So what, i was killed so many times , but it was my fault, i didnt know what really mean low sec . I think that only weak people give up. EVE is very much like real life, especially if u are in corp or alliance. Like ur family and ur friends in rl, they will help you and protect you, its same. So try to join to corp, find friends in eve and dont whine how Eve is bad and u always die. U are victim only if u want it to be !

• JhughesyJhughesy Member Posts: 419

Originally posted by Zorndorf
    Instead of punishing people, Wow rewards every kind of playing style.

Bollocks. WoW is a multiplayer game at best. Where is the sandbox  style of gameplay?

And, I don't give a damn how many morons play it.

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

Well at least one dev company made a good niche game without compromising the game in order to please joe everybody. The game is built that way, and has always been built that way, and every player has had to face that prospect, and overcome.

You are responsible for looking out for yourself and paying attention to your surroundings. Kind of like in real life

• woeyewoeye Member Posts: 119

I beg to differ. EvE is a far more complicated game than WoW. In EvE you really have to learn a lot of things in order to be able to survive. Whereas WoW is easy mode all over, honestly. My girlfriend, for example, never played computer games before. But she did pretty well in WoW quickly. Why? Because WoW is so easy. Easy to understand, easy in character control and easy in progression.

Furthermore I'd say that WoW attracts way more players than EvE. Because I feel many players favor to be a nightelf, a shiny warrior, a powerful mage or whatever. It has this tamagochi thing. Like "look at this gnome female. Isn't the cuuuute?" Whereas EvE is all about dark, black, grey, serious business. Flying around in dark space isn't so attractive for many players imho. Pushing around lots and lots of grey dialog boxes full of text neither.

Don't get me wrong. I really enjoy EvE. But I do understand that many players cannot enjoy EvE.

• peteski123peteski123 Member UncommonPosts: 447

"Originally posted by Hi-Five

words can't xplain how insane it is for new players to start.  you can read  all the fanboy threads.. but even fan boys will be hard to explain this simple logic.  This is what you are paying 14.99 for:

More experience players can kill you anytime.  If they can't, they can do the following things:

you can read all the explainations, justification, and EvE's "love me" threads.. but the bottom line, if someone want to kill you... THERE IS NOT THING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT.. what does is this mean? imagine you spent 1 mth working for cash to buy a nice shield, sword, armors and spells, but out of nowhere some more high level player just gank on you.  Once you are dead, all items are gone and so is your 1 mth hard labor!!

it is your 14.99... you are more than welcome to throw it away.  EVE older players are looking for more noobs to kill.. please  be a victim!!! "

This is why this game is not for baby's.. ie people like you who have no concept of the real world..... But But when I die they take my stuff.. cry....     

sheesh go play wow then thats for kids, leave the real fighting to us proper gamers

• woeyewoeye Member Posts: 119

Originally posted by peteski123

"Originally posted by Hi-Five

it is your 14.99... you are more than welcome to throw it away.  EVE older players are looking for more noobs to kill.. please  be a victim!!! "

This is why this game is not for baby's.. ie people like you who have no concept of the real world..... But But when I die they take my stuff.. cry....     
    sheesh go play wow then thats for kids, leave the real fighting to us proper gamers

This reminds me of my first days in EvE. After running some missions I finally got my first frigate with some nice modules. Only to see it blown up some minutes later. All of my stuff gone. Wow. This was not funny indeed. I had to take a rest for 2 days :-) But I recovered. And I learned. Now I am better prepared :-)