Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Selling System Opinions..

raptorfalconraptorfalcon Member Posts: 126

As you may already know to sell ANYTHING through the normal market we have to go to our house and set the items for sale AND stay there..

Basically this system forces you to stay in your house without doing nothing just to sell your stuff.. if you leave your house your items are removed from the sale list. Also, this system in my opinion is just pushing people to create +pay for second accounts just so they dont have to be AFK and can go adventuring.

According to Moorgard there are NO plans of implementing any type of offline selling.

I would like to know your opinions on the subject since I really hate to have to leave my computer on durig the night/work/school just so I can sell some stuff.

Comments

• otaku4loveotaku4love Member Posts: 44

This makes sence to me, the only game I can think of that does not require you to be in game while selling is FFXI. Of course I could be wrong but I think it helps build on the you get back what you put in idea. And sure its a little pain but im sure you will be about to do trades while in game and away from your house.

• JBO1JBO1 Member Posts: 277

Originally posted by otaku4love
    This makes sence to me, the only game I can think of that does not require you to be in game while selling is FFXI. Of course I could be wrong but I think it helps build on the you get back what you put in idea. And sure its a little pain but im sure you will be about to do trades while in game and away from your house.image

Actually SWG also made by SOE allows you to pay for a vendor that can look like any of the races in the game to be put in place to sell for you 24/7. And you don't have to be near your house for it to work...

• noobletnooblet Member Posts: 2,274

Originally posted by JBO1
    This makes sence to me, the only game I can think of that does not require you to be in game while selling is FFXI. Of course I could be wrong but I think it helps build on the you get back what you put in idea. And sure its a little pain but im sure you will be about to do trades while in game and away from your house.image

Actually SWG also made by SOE allows you to pay for a vendor that can look like any of the races in the game to be put in place to sell for you 24/7. And you don't have to be near your house for it to work...

You havta b in ur house for it to work in EQ2 though

imageimageimage

EQ2 Qeynos Guild- http://www.imperium-arcanum.com

[quote]Originally posted by nooblet

[/b][/quote]

You havta b in ur house for it to work in EQ2 though

imageimageimage

EQ2 Qeynos Guild- http://www.imperium-arcanum.com[/b][/quote]

Yeah I noticed that I wonder why they did that?? Maybe something they didn't like in SWG.

• XiraXira Member Posts: 437

I think this is a failure of an attempt to fix what a lot of people have a problem with in other MMORPGs with houseing systems. Essentially nobody is ever at their house...This is a big complaint, so they decided to "fix" it by forceing people to stay at their house.

Typical SOE approach really though, useing a big stick instead of honey. It's going to backfire of course, people will either have 2nd accounts or go to sleep connected in their house.

Originally posted by Xira
    I think this is a failure of an attempt to fix what a lot of people have a problem with in other MMORPGs with houseing systems. Essentially nobody is ever at their house...This is a big complaint, so they decided to "fix" it by forceing people to stay at their house.
    Typical SOE approach really though, useing a big stick instead of honey. It's going to backfire of course, people will either have 2nd accounts or go to sleep connected in their house.

That makes sense though, houses were always empty in SWG...no reason to stay there...

• raptorfalconraptorfalcon Member Posts: 126
    mm it wont back fire... people paying for second accounts + more people online is exactly what they want.. I can see it now in the news.. EQ2 had today 1 million people connected.. but erm.. 950,000 were AFK... image. They giving us a free house is now more of a problem than a good thing. It wont be used for storage, and we are tied to it if we want to sell through the brokers.. Something is really wrong with their idea of housing.. image

• SimonsaysSimonsays Member Posts: 64

I think the reason that they have housing is a psychological one.  They want you to have the feeling of having a "home" in game.  If you feel you have a home in the game you will be more relaxed when playing and will be less likely to cancel your acct. because you will feel like you are giving up a home that belongs to you if you do and thus makes if feel more like dieing if you quit the game.  But you won't get that feeling if you are never IN your house so thats why they want you to be in it as much as possible.

And who would want to abandon there baby dragon....

So basicly I think it's just another attempt to keep people playing the game for as long as possible.

• vamsevamse Member Posts: 97

this really works the same like in eq1....but now you dont have to go into a zone with 200+ people where the lag makes it impossible to move, in eq1 you also had to be in the bazaar in order for people to check your wares, now you are in your home...same thing, but with no lag because you do not so 200+ people crowded together in a small zone. As far as roleplaying...it fits right in, a shopkeeper stays in his shop also or hires people to sell it for him (2nd account), and you can always sell your items the oldfashioned way...the auction channel with links to what you are selling and meeting up with potential buyers face to face.

being able to hunt and sell at the same time might be easy, but it is not roleplaying.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

This makes sence to me, the only game I can think of that does not require you to be in game while selling is FFXI. Of course I could be wrong but I think it helps build on the you get back what you put in idea. And sure its a little pain but im sure you will be about to do trades while in game and away from your house.

Like mentioned SWG has vendors that you just pay maintance and log off and they sell offline.You log on you get the emails of what been sold and the money goes into your account.You have have several vendors too and use the local bazaar for small stuff.

Horizons also has a place you can place on the npc vendor and it seels off line too.

DAoC has npc vendors too in the housing areas that you can keep stuff on.

EQ i remember requires u to be online but you can go afk in the bazaar and put a price on it and it sells.

Best award for what you are asking (IMHO) goes to SWG.Trade wise SWG is the true king.

I think SWG system would be best .

• SimonsaysSimonsays Member Posts: 64

I played SWG and I really didn't like that selling system.  I like how it was in EQ where you actually go to the person to buy what they have.  It's more realistic.  If you can just buy somthing from someone off of a screen menu it creates a "distance" between players so you don't have that feeling of being connected to the other players in the world.

• DulainDulain Member UncommonPosts: 616

I think SWGs database is the worst in an MMORPG. There are so many items crafted, each with unique IDs that are in the world the entire time they are on a vendor. This is why they have daily server resets, which then take a couple of hours before the items begin to show back up on the vendors.

• sidebustersidebuster Member UncommonPosts: 1,712
    I just thought... why cant you kind of shout like i am selling a blah blah sword in the middle of the wherever and do it over a trade for money? if that is even possible. I guess you could call that the "old fashion" way, even though i dont think it is an old fashion way.

• baldorfbaldorf Member Posts: 8

I would like a system like the one in Horizons, where you set your items for sale at a merchant, you set the price and the merchant takes a small commision, then you can go back to killing, crafting or maybe even go offline, kind of having a bazar account, just that this one only cost game money (commision).

Baldorf

of The Nameless

• RJCoxRJCox Member Posts: 2,686

The main reason they've given for not having offline sellign options is to limit the availability of items, ie slow the flooding of the gameworld with the rarer or harder to obtain items. I completely agree with this, I know it's not a HUGE step in that direction, but it does somewhat help in that regard.

And as someone else pointed out, it works just like EQ1, set yourself up in Sale mode and go afk, go to bed, watch a movie, whatever, you don't actually have to be AT your computer to sell anything. The only reason they made it so you have to be in your house now is so they don't have the lag factory that the Bazaar in EQ1 was.

---------- MMORPG.com Staff --------- Desolation Guild Website ----------

Richard J. Cox
    "There were much of the beautiful, much of the wanton, much of the bizarre, something of the terrible, and not a little of that which might have excited disgust."

• sparkatbsparkatb Member UncommonPosts: 175
    Yea the best time to shop for gear is during middle of the night lol.

• SlangerSlanger Member UncommonPosts: 280

Originally posted by sparkatb
    Yea the best time to shop for gear is during middle of the night lol.

Yeah, I'd rather play then stand in my house waiting for the things I want to sell to be purchased. Since there is no offline selling, the best option would be to put your items up for sell before you goto bed. Then when you wake up before you goto work simply see if everything is sold, if it is put more stuff up for sale and off to work you go. Or leave the items you were selling till they sell.image

Currently Playing: AC2, WW2Online
    Retired: Everquest, DAoC
    Quit: SWG

Currently Playing: Eve-Online
    On the Backburner: EQ2
    Retired: EQ, DAoC, WW2Online
    RIP: AC2
    Tried: Ryzom, Roma Victor, RoM, KH2, Forsaken World, AO, AoC, APB
    Quit: SWG PRE-CU(Radiant/Starsider), WoW

Achiever 47% / Explorer 40% / Killer 87% / Socializer 27%

• baldorfbaldorf Member Posts: 8

I must admit i cant really see any point in having to be online and in your house to be selling goods, what will happend is the exact same as in EQ, people will either get a extra account for trading, or someone in ones guild will have a trader account, and you will dump stuff for trading there, so i think it would save some people the hazle to transfer goods to whatever trader char/account, by having a offline trading system, and ofcourse the saved expenses in having to have 2 accounts, i can ofcourse see the benefits for SoE in getting ppl to pay for two accounts.image

• ColdmeatColdmeat Member UncommonPosts: 3,407

Yeah, but how much is the $15/month they get from that second account offset by the extra bandwidth that it eats up being online 24/7 as a tradebot?

The only people I see this affecting in a major way is the crafters. They'll effectively be stuck in their house 24/7, or they'll be required to have a tradebot if they want to be competetive as a crafter. Even moreso if there is no reason to go to one crafter over another like their is in SWG.

• OlausOlaus Member Posts: 53

Just passing along some relevant information for the discussion:

"Allow me to clarify. I wasn't trying to say that we're doing things this way because EQ is; my point was that it's a system EQ uses, and we're doing something similar. I'm sorry if that wasn't conveyed properly.

There are both social and logistical reasons for our decision to not implement offline selling. On the social side, I personally like the idea of markets developing organically where players are selling and trading their wares to one another in person. That is, people gathering in a certain zone (like the tunnel in East Commons in EQ) and establishing a sort of merchant community of their own. An offline selling option makes such naturally occurring areas of interaction and commerce unlikely.

Our technical director, Scott Hartsman, made an excellent post on the beta board about this subject, and at the risk of being booted from beta for breaking the NDA, I thought I'd pass it along to you:
    Quote:
    Both systems have ups and downs, for sure. This one should be interesting to watch.

One thing that I didn't see mentioned yet -- It won't need to be you standing alone in your room. (Unless something's changed since the last conversation I was in the room for--which could well be.) As of the last plan, you'll be able to set up friends as trustees of your house, who can then also sell there, allowing for groups of friends to set up their own equivalent of mini-bazaars in homes and guild halls all over the place.

As for how we ended up here...

As much as I hate to disappoint those who'd prefer to think "Thx, $OE!," it goes a lot farther than economics.

There's definitely a lot of convenience in "I can sell stuff without being here!" No argument there whatsoever. However, systems like that tend to have extremely inflated item circulation.

If every character on the server can list items while offline, there tends to be too much item availability for an adventure game. At any given time, let's pretend that 10% of the accounts are online at once. Allowing offline sales means there's a potential for 10x the number of items available for purchase.

If there's too much item availability there ends up being too little adventure, far too early in a world's life, since anyone can get anything, anytime. In talking to some of the folks who've developed similar systems on other games, offline consignment in an economy where items have rarity, (and therefore: value), has turned out to be one of their biggest regrets, as it pushes people away from adventuring as a first choice, and instead toward the convenience of "just go to the mall."

As adventure is our core gameplay element, as well as the primary method of making friends, and therefore the main stickiness for a game like EverQuest II, that sense needs to be preserved above all else, even if it means slight inconveniencies such as this one.

That's why I think this logical progession of EQ's system is a happy medium -- There are still excellent opportunities for commercial interactions, and social opportunities therein, but less risk to the overall "kill for it, make it yourself, or quest for it if you can, buy it if you can't" mindset that made the first of this particular adventure game the success that it is.
    Scott makes some excellent points. One of the concerns I see voiced a lot on the boards is that our economy will grow out of control too rapidly. Making the selling of goods possible offline would be a huge factor in seeing our economy evolve far faster than we'd like. Remember that economies are affected by much more than just supply and demand, and it's not hard to see that offline selling would have a major impact on the value of goods and currency in game.

These are all factors that have gone into our decision to not implement offline vendors. Especially at the early stage of the game, it makes more sense to have a more controlled flow of items and cash. I'll grant you that this decision may not be ideal for some playstyles, but on the whole I believe it's going to help control the economy and encourage person-to-person interaction. Plus, setting up a shop with your friends could be pretty cool.

============================
    Moorgard
    EQII Community Guy"

Hope this at least clearify thier discission...

EDIT: perhaps black wasnt the best font colour :)

----------------------------------------
    Playing: Zangbandtk :)
    Played: AO, CoH, DAoC, Horizons, Planetside, SWG
    Tested: Lineage II, AC2...and more

Favorite MMO so far: DAoC

----------------------------------------
    Playing: Rogue
    Played: AO, CoH, DAoC, EQII, Horizons, Planetside, SWG
    Tested: AC2, Lineage II, Vanguard, WoW...and more

• ColdmeatColdmeat Member UncommonPosts: 3,407

Another thing I'm curious about, especially in light of them wanting to restrict the flow of 'rare' items in the game, is their stance on groups such as IGE that farm cash/items and then sell them via Ebay, Player Auctions, etc.

From everything I have read, this is a multimillion dollar business, so you can safely assume they'll be in all the new games as well. If you think things are bad in Llineage II, ponder, if you will, what a game with the name recognition of WoW, or EQ2 will be like.

And this totally crushes their plan of restricting the flow of items within the economy, nevermind the various dupes that will spring up. They've yet to stem the tide of ingame sales in either EQ, or SWG, and they won't be anymore successful with EQ2. Though, Sony is getting in on the action for the PS2, selling ingame items for the upcoming Gran Turismo title when it releases. Whether this will carry over to their MMO properties, I haven't heard, but it only makes sense from a financial standpoint.

• vamsevamse Member Posts: 97
    most high end items are no-drop...so online selling them is not an option...

• DrLogicDrLogic Member Posts: 7

OMG Otaku! I just saw your GIF signature thing! Its f$%#ing awesome!! ::::16::

Ummm... check out my EQ2 dude!

http://www.angelfire.com/realm3/imersion/XerifWeb.jpg