Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why dont you guys think EA will ruin your game?

2»

Comments

• justinopejustinope Member Posts: 46

EA's only chance so for MMO success in this decade... well, unless they buy someone else.

• VindicothVindicoth Member Posts: 273

Originally posted by Silverthorn8

Why do you think they will? My understanding is they gave Mythic nearly full autonomy on this production.
    The only danger thus far is the game being held back further than the Q4 schedule slated for this year-placing the game into a near vapourware status (think most of us are praying this won't happen).
    Hope that answers your one dimensional question.
    Near vaporware status? This game has one of the shortest development times of any MMO so far.

No, I don't think the game will be hindered by EA at all. As a matter of fact, its only benefitted from EA's deep pockets. EA knows the score here and will definitely let Mythic do their own thing.

By the way, I'm in closed beta.

• VindicothVindicoth Member Posts: 273
    Originally posted by Cryptor

boy oh boy is there going to be alot of disapointed people around.  Its a good thing not too many of you are able to play the beta or you woud have already moved on to new games.

Oh really? Thats funny because I'm in closed beta right now and I've already quit AoC to devote full time to beta'ing this game.

• JK-KanosiJK-Kanosi Member Posts: 1,357

I think a better question is, why do you think EA will ruin WAR. I've never had much of a problem the way Mythic ran DAoC, including the infamous ToA expansion. I have a lot of faith in Mythic and they've always been honest in my experiences. Hell, they even have phone support, which is rare among MMORPG companies. I've never had a bad experience with EA either. The only EA products I recall buying were sports games and I've not had a bad experience with them.

So being a critical thinker, I have to ask if the hate for EA is gamer induced or EA induced. I think I've heard something about EA changing UO and shutting down another MMORPG as examples of EA being bad. I for one agree with the changes made to UO, since UO was a haven for griefers, which I loathe. There are many reasons why a company may shut down a MMORPG and EA has every bit of right to do so. Lack of substantial profit is a great reason to shut down a game. I think gamers can be a bit biased in their judgements, because having a game taken away provokes strong emotional reactions. EA after all did provide players with a choice of servers in UO. You cannot blame UO for players choosing a non-griefer server. That is the fault of the anti-social players driving social players away.

MMORPG's w/ Max level characters: DAoC, SWG, & WoW

Currently Playing: WAR
    Preferred Playstyle: Roleplay/adventurous, in a sandbox game.

• Ghost12Ghost12 Member Posts: 684

Personally Ive never had too much beef with EA either. Even though like most corporations they are pretty much a soulless bunch of people out to make a buck, they still deliver relatively solid games and they are no where near the scum of lets say, SOE. If theres one company you can trust to break something its SOE.

But EA, even though they may be a bunch of soulless pricks, they didn't get to the top without any measure of intelligence; they see alot, and I mean, ALOT of potential in WAR. And I dont blame them. WAR is a game that can appeal to many people, *cough cough* the MASSES and is indeed a potential "WoW killer." EA arent slouches, so they say:

--Okay Mythic, you guys got a hot game going on here, so we'll just give you guys more juice to make it even better--

EA from as I recall is pretty much just all hands off. Theyve gotten smarter and realized that they should just stand back, hand Mythic the money they need and then reap most of what Mythic sowed.  Why not? Mythic from what I know is a great developing company and EA probably looked back on DAOC and saw a game that has lots of potential. All EA is, as Paul B. put it, "The Moneybag". Its brilliance, really.

Oh yeah, and we have a third player here: Games Workshop. And those guys are gonna make sure the game is good, too. Games Workshop adds a bit more dynamic into the whole business deal, so EA isnt entirely alone here.

• KusanohaKusanoha Member Posts: 47

Honestly, I think EA has some good and bad companies under their management.

Mythic isn't one of the bad ones. DAOC is doing insanely good game-wise now, and that is all because of Mythic and the fact that they listened to the players (probably gonna head back and play it again if/when classic old-style RvR is re-instated). They may not have a huge playerbase, but the game itself is very polished and has been for a year now.

The flip side is that EA has some high profile idiots on tap as well.  DICE for instance, is a crappy company, and makes continually buggy games which make EA a lot of money thanks to their awesome advertising alone, but do nothing for EA's rep because of how phenominally buggy and crappy the games tend to be.

I've learned to wait and see. And so we will.

[Begin Sarcasm]

Girls don't use the internet unless theres a webcam involved....its a physical impossibility.

They also don't play them thar vidya gaymes, mmorpg = most men online role play girls...even in ventrillo.

-kyte317

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Where there is a will there is a way. When EA puts it's hands on any project mayhem spreads all over the place and it never ends. What makes people think it will be any different this time. Why, because it's Warhammer ? I see the same trend this game is going through just like AOC did. Push back after push back and when asked how well them game is going the answers always were  "the game is fine and right on track". Well Mythic is singing the same tune and when asked if this push back was the final one the answer was " no it is not definite"  Which leads me to believe this game is far from even being close to finished. Just pray Mythic can finish the game on time before EA and GW hit the eject button too soon.

The game has already been in developement for about 3 years. On May 18 2005, Mythic acquired the license and been working on the game ever since. EA doesn't like long developement and Games Workshop expects quality so Myhtic has much to do in a short period of time.

• Cabe2323Cabe2323 Member Posts: 2,939

Oh I love to see the haters make no sense what so ever. 

EA doesn't ruin developers and EA doesn't ruin games. 

Ultima Online which is almost a revered game here on MMORPG.com was owned by EA the entire lifespan of the game.  The President of EA gave Garriot the funding to make UO. 

What screwed UO was Origin's inability to manage their department.  They started and stopped so many projects and were way behind on schedule with nothing to show for it that EA finally had to move in and take charge. 

Same thing has happened in a lot of the developers they have taken over. 

Really and truthfully all the proof you need to show that EA doesn't ruin games or stifle creativity is Sims, Sims 2, Spore, etc.  Will has been working on Spore for years and EA doesn't and has never done anything to him.  He has been a part of EA since before The Sims came out (which they took a big risk on) and still stays with the company. 

Currently playing:
    LOTRO & WoW (not much WoW though because Mines of Moria rocks!!!!)

Looking Foward too:
    Bioware games (Dragon Age & Star Wars The Old Republic)

• Cabe2323Cabe2323 Member Posts: 2,939
    Originally posted by SaintViktor

Where there is a will there is a way. When EA puts it's hands on any project mayhem spreads all over the place and it never ends. What makes people think it will be any different this time. Why, because it's Warhammer ? I see the same trend this game is going through just like AOC did. Push back after push back and when asked how well them game is going the answers always were  "the game is fine and right on track". Well Mythic is singing the same tune and when asked if this push back was the final one the answer was " no it is not definite"  Which leads me to believe this game is far from even being close to finished. Just pray Mythic can finish the game on time before EA and GW hit the eject button too soon.
    The game has already been in developement for about 3 years. On May 18 2005, Mythic acquired the license and been working on the game ever since. EA doesn't like long developement and Games Workshop expects quality so Myhtic has much to do in a short period of time.

Short?  This is twice as long as Dark Age of Camelot took Mythic to develop.  They took 18 months total to make Dark Age of Camelot.  Which is one of the most critically acclaimed and successful MMO games.

Currently playing:
    LOTRO & WoW (not much WoW though because Mines of Moria rocks!!!!)

Looking Foward too:
    Bioware games (Dragon Age & Star Wars The Old Republic)

• kintrikkintrik Member Posts: 194

why did you all reply to this so dang fast. it is an obvious troll post.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Originally posted by kintrik

why did you all reply to this so dang fast. it is an obvious troll post.
    Troll post or not, this topic needed to be discussed as there are way too many people that think EA single handedly destroyed all those franchises, which they didn't.  They may have helped them along at one point to failure when it was enevitable though.  .....getting this out so others are not scared to be interested in WAR is a good thing, given the many false rumors of EA's past!

• WickershamWickersham Member UncommonPosts: 2,379

If Mythic manages itself properly (and there is no reason to think it wont) EA will not step in, they only take matters in hand when things are going out of control.

"The liberties and resulting economic prosperity that YOU take for granted were granted by those "dead guys"

• MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,106

I don't think the op said anything along the lines of 'canceling' WAR.

Follow the past of EA and you'll see what he means.

Goodluck to WAR, I guess we'll see if EA/mythic can pull through

/played-mmorpgs

Total time played: 9125 Days, 21 Hours, 29 Minutes, 27 Seconds
    Time played this level: 39 Days, 1 Hour, 24 Minutes, 5 Seconds

• TrashcantoyTrashcantoy Member Posts: 827
    Originally posted by RJO_

The game isn't being developed by EA...

yes it is, mythic is part of EA.. it isnt called EA Mythic for no reason (just to keep the discussion alive :p)

MMOs currently playing: -
    About to play: Lord of the Rings Online
    Played: Anarchy Online (alltime favorite) and lots of f2p titles (honorable mentions: 9Dragons, Martial Heroes, Dekaron, Atlantica Online)