Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why did they kill it?/KOTOR

As many of you are, I also am mad about CU/NGE that hit SWG.  My question is why did SOE do it?  Why did they create two awful updates that would butcher it?  I have never in my life played a better MMO than SWG Pre CU.  IT was the most fun I have ever had playing a game and I have never found a game up to par to this day. 

Also many of you have heard of KOTOR3 MMO.  To be honest even if this rumor is true, I would still be worried for another mistake.  However, we will see and hopefully it does come out and is $*#$ amazing

Comments

• pdxgeekpdxgeek Member Posts: 585

Originally posted by JackBauer24

As many of you are, I also am mad about CU/NGE that hit SWG.  My question is why did SOE do it?  Why did they create two awful updates that would butcher it?  I have never in my life played a better MMO than SWG Pre CU.  IT was the most fun I have ever had playing a game and I have never found a game up to par to this day. 

Also many of you have heard of KOTOR3 MMO.  To be honest even if this rumor is true, I would still be worried for another mistake.  However, we will see and hopefully it does come out and is $*#$ amazing

Smed saw what a huge success WoW was and wanted a piece of that pie. It was greed, pure and simple.

The funniest thing is that Jeff Freeman has admitted that they knew they woudl likely lose most of the current players but they were convinced that by ripping off WoW new people would flood into the game. You can see how well that panned out for them.

• JackBauer24JackBauer24 Member Posts: 283

I hate greed

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

"Why did they kill it / KoToR

Well I assume you mean Kotor II as kotor itself was at least good enough for a sequal, but then unfortunately Bioware solf the rights off to Obsidian, and Obsidian is a terrible company that creates half finished games and rushes them out the door. Thus The diappointment Kotor II was born. Yes it was greed, but I'd say more on Atrari's fualt then just on Obsidians.

As far as SWG it always sucked from statrt to finish. The SWG has been done to death IMO time to move on to something at least alittle new, and creative.

• deepdishdeepdish Member Posts: 28

If the rumour is true then I don't like the use of KOTOR to be a mmorpg and reckon they should release a new Star Wars mmorpg IP and keep KOTOR a single player game. However they probably think KOTOR is a big enough name to get lots of sales from the start even if it does suck balls.

• Originally posted by JackBauer24

Greed.  Stupidity.  Blindness.  Arrogance.

Basically the CUNGE happened because LEC and SOE got WOW envy and decided that they were going to change the game to appeal to a larger "target audience".  They didn't give a shit about the existing customer base they had, we were written off (this was admitted to by Jeff Freeman).

The obvious happened, collapse of the subscriber base and the ruination of the reputations of companies and individuals involved.

Of course it didn't help them that the NGE was complete and utter crap that was AT BEST in a pre-alpha state when released to live.  In the last 2+ years, the trained chimps (with apologies to trained chimps) on the skeleton crew Dev team have managed to move the NGE from pre-alpha to early-Beta in quality, but have yet to make a combat system that works.

One wonders how many of the NGE decision makers got the axe over at LEC this week...  If I were Julio Torres I'd NOT want to be looking for another job, in this economy, with the NGE on his resume.

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642

Originally posted by salvaje

One wonders how many of the NGE decision makers got the axe over at LEC this week...  If I were Julio Torres I'd NOT want to be looking for another job, in this economy, with the NGE on his resume.

The NGE is the basis of today's ecomony but I agree ,I would love to know who  formally from LEC is now pounding the pavement with the stink of the NGE on them.

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278

This my story and I'm stickin' to it...

The Assassination Of SWG 

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by Bob_Blawblaw

The Assassination Of SWG 

I have no more evidence than you, of course...  But that was a rather more-detailed version of the same picture that I started assembling in December 2005.  I alluded to those suspicions in a post on the O-boards (paraphrasing): "All this time we've railed against the SOE Trade Alliance, when the chancellor was behind it all along!"

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803

Originally posted by winter

"Why did they kill it / KoToR
     Well I assume you mean Kotor II as kotor itself was at least good enough for a sequal, but then unfortunately Bioware solf the rights off to Obsidian, and Obsidian is a terrible company that creates half finished games and rushes them out the door. Thus The diappointment Kotor II was born. Yes it was greed, but I'd say more on Atrari's fualt then just on Obsidians.
       As far as SWG it always sucked from statrt to finish. The SWG has been done to death IMO time to move on to something at least alittle new, and creative.

Don't blame Obsidian for the broken state of KOTOR II.  KOTOR II was rushed to market by the Niemoidian slime that is the now totally MBA driven monster that is LucasArts.  KOTOR II was pushed out the door to meet a marketing deadline set by markeing asshats.  At Lucas Arts.

Obsidian had a great game in development and they were forced to chop it up so greedy nongaming twits could get their bonuses on time, because LucasArts is all about selling bantha poodoo in a box labled "Star Wars".

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803

Originally posted by Bob_Blawblaw

The Assassination Of SWG 

I think that's a highly likely scenario.  Pretty much what I believe happened.

Never mind that the greedy assholes released SWG incomplete...that's SOE's specialty and the LA clowns don't know MMOs, they know single player games, and relied on SOE to do the right thing.  Which of course was a mistake, but LA was just as eager to launch as SOE.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi