Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A wow player wanting a new experince, please help :)

danny_knox07danny_knox07 Member Posts: 2

Hey everyone i have got to the stage in wow (i played for 6 months) where i lvled to 70 pally, got some new gear and then started lvling another character and i was like .... what the hell are you doing playing this game, you hate it !, the constant grinding and same old quests all the time do you really want to go through all that again, where you get obsessed and totally addicted to get yo lvl to 70 and then enter the peroid in the game which seems so weird and pointless, doing instances to get better gear to get better gear to get better gear ! the thought of a new expansion coming out makes me shudder, i just realised how much i hate it and cant bring myself to log in ...

i would love some suggesttions of new games that are a bit like wow but totally different lol, please go in some detail what there about and i think i would like a sci fi one with like space ships and stuff would be really cool, also maybe like a free trail one i can try 1st also

I would really apprecaite some suggestions and thanks in advance for taking the time to do so :)

Comments

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

Best thing to do is check out the free trials that litter the web.

There is EVE Online (Space Sim type MMO that many people love)

Anarchy Online (Older Sci Fi MMO that has a free to play basic game)

Everquest (Pre WoW MMO)

Everquest 2 ( Plays kinda like a mix of EQ and WoW, heavily quest based)

and more that I am sure others can point you to as well.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• GreenChaosGreenChaos Member Posts: 2,268

Never fix MMO burnout by playing another MMO. 

Take a MMO break.  Get Orange Box, mass effect, or get a 360 and get GTA IV.

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

Originally posted by GreenChaos

True, Portal rules, TF2 is fun and HL2 is just a great game.

Mass Effect is a great game as well (And looks better on PC even though I already beat it on 360)

GTA IV multiplayer is a blast!

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• Xix13Xix13 Member Posts: 259

And by the time you've single-playered your way out the MMO burnout, maybe Warhammer will be here and will be a winner.  Doesn't seem to be much else new out there that's better than WoW.  Or try the older stuf as suggested (I'd throw in UO maybe, if you like sandboxes and can find a server with a decent population).

-- Xix
    "I know what you're thinking: 'Why, oh WHY, didn't I take the BLUE pill?'"

• bee52bee52 Member Posts: 158

Savage 2!

• jarishjarish Member Posts: 526

You could always try Lord of the Rings Online...similar to WoW but more about the journey than the grind. I have an extra buddy key for an unrestricted 10 day trial if you want it.

Brandywine Global LFF chan "/joinchannel glff"

• atomtanatomtan Member Posts: 106

Originally posted by jarish

You could always try Lord of the Rings Online...similar to WoW but more about the journey than the grind. I have an extra buddy key for an unrestricted 10 day trial if you want it.

I second this...

Currently Playing: Nothing...I'm developing.
    Looking Forward To:

• rejadrejad Member Posts: 346
    Originally posted by danny_knox07

Hey everyone i have got to the stage in wow (i played for 6 months) where i lvled to 70 pally, got some new gear and then started lvling another character and i was like .... what the hell are you doing playing this game, you hate it !, the constant grinding and same old quests all the time do you really want to go through all that again, where you get obsessed and totally addicted to get yo lvl to 70 and then enter the peroid in the game which seems so weird and pointless, doing instances to get better gear to get better gear to get better gear ! the thought of a new expansion coming out makes me shudder, i just realised how much i hate it and cant bring myself to log in ...
    i would love some suggesttions of new games that are a bit like wow but totally different lol, please go in some detail what there about and i think i would like a sci fi one with like space ships and stuff would be really cool, also maybe like a free trail one i can try 1st also
    I would really apprecaite some suggestions and thanks in advance for taking the time to do so :)

Sorry but just about every other game out there has modeled itself after the EQ/WoW system of kill, loot, quest, level, rinse and repeat.  The games that are not like that are old and almost unbearable to play.  At least one game was completely retooled to be like that (SWG) and the new stuff coming in the future all subscribe to that idea because it attracts "casual" players (they think). 

• MajesticoMajestico Member UncommonPosts: 481

The game which I have found is most similar to WoW, but isn't (like how you asked) has got to be Lord of the Rings Online.

As a WoW player, you will immediately be able to adapt to the UI, as it is the most like WoW I have ever experienced, so as soon as you roll your character, you will feel at home with the controls.

Then the similarity ends (to a degree).  You still get quests, and can identify quest givers, completed quests, not by exclaimation marks, or question marks, but by rings.  However, the beauty of LotR is that the quests are much more involved.  If you are also a fan of single player rpg's, or a fan of Tolien's work, then you will love this.  As well as the thousands of side-line quests (which are the main way to accrue xp, as it is designed not to cater for the mob-grinders, which also means there are no bots) you will follow a central quest chain, called the Epic Quest.  This takes the form of Books, divided up into chapters.  So if you get stuck on a particular quest, you can ask for a group (called a Fellowship) in the /LFF channel, and announce exactly which quest you want help with.  So for example, if I wanted help with bk1 ch11, all the players would see that I was wanting help, or fellow players to join me in the quest Book1 chapter 11.  Also you can use the new and improved fellowship tool, to find party members.  This is a great way to easily find groups, and not have to wait around for hours like in other MMO's.  These Epic Quests, are very story lead, which I love, as they draw me into the world, and make me feel as though I am a part of the game.  Added to that, when you complete one, you get to watch a cut-scene, something which is sorely lacking in other MMO's.

The game is very easy to get into, and very player friendly.  Hardcore players bemoan that there is not enough substance, but there is, it just depends on how you play.  It seems by your thread that you are tired of the high level raiding anyway, so this is fine. 

The one thing that is a bit lacking is the pvp content.  This game was not designed to be a pvp game, although there is still that option.  You can make a monster character and fight against the other players in a region called the Ettenmoors.

One of the finest aspects of LotR is the graphics, and the dynamic landscapes.  Moreso than any other MMO I have played, you can look of into the distance and see a structure from miles away, and as you get closer, it comes more into focus.

I think I have covered everything. (Crafting is easy to get into, and also a lot of fun)  Oh and one more gripe,

I don't like the way that the AH works.  It is quite fiddly, a bit like WoW's was back near the beginning.  This is just a minor gripe though, and no doubt it will get more user friendly in upcoming patches. (Every couple of months, the devs relese a new book, with new story-lines, and regions, etc)

Also coming soon is the first expansion pack, Mines of Moria.  Wherein Turbine are going to attempt to create an expansion with mostly underground content.  Very ambitious, and I can't wait to see what it'll look like.

This post may seem like a fanboi's, but I am merely telling you how I found the game.  Yes, there are down sides, but if you like the things that I have stated, then you will like this game.  If you are a hardcore player, then this might not be your cup of tea.  Also if you are a big fan of pvp, then you will be disappointed as well.

Hope this helps.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Check out EQII....similar to WoW as its quest based, but entirely different art style!  Havn't played in years and am back for a time since SOE just gave all veteran accounts a free 60 days for the summer!  They've been working on this alot...so good now, and much better than last played! 

SoE has also adopted the somewhat easy-mode that WoW did last fall where they removed all the elite mobs from the overworld!  So far I havn't found any mobs I couldn't solo, though that doesn't mean you're not gonna get ur ass kicked.  Plenty of named mobs much harder than normal ones and then there are an advanced mob sorta like LOTRO's Signature mobs that are a solo-style-elite-challenge!

• seanmac93seanmac93 Member Posts: 59

heres what you do

make a twink on wow

then in 3 months go to AOC and all the vioceovers and new content will be there and many bugs will be fixed

OR

go to LotRO or EQ2 for 3 months then age of conan

ps. this is the only website that is practicly ANTI-AGE OF CONAN everyone else loves it (including me)

• GreenChaosGreenChaos Member Posts: 2,268

Originally posted by GreenChaos

Or if you want to try a strategy game, CiV 4.

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

Honestly, like the second poster said, try a bunch of free trial.

There is a heck of alot out there and on this website.

• MajesticoMajestico Member UncommonPosts: 481

Originally posted by Khrymson

Check out EQII....similar to WoW as its quest based, but entirely different art style!  Havn't played in years and am back for a time since SOE just gave all veteran accounts a free 60 days for the summer!  They've been working on this alot...so good now, and much better than last played! 
    SoE has also adopted the somewhat easy-mode that WoW did last fall where they removed all the elite mobs from the overworld!  So far I havn't found any mobs I couldn't solo, though that doesn't mean you're not gonna get ur ass kicked.  Plenty of named mobs much harder than normal ones and then there are an advanced mob sorta like LOTRO's Signature mobs that are a solo-style-elite-challenge!

Oh?  I didn't know that they had done this.  Damn, that means that I won't be able to get my revenge on Terrathuda, big elite that sat on top of a rock in the Commonlands.  He used to whack me right off the top of the rock, and the fall would kill you.  I had always planned to get my own back on him, but now I guess I can't.

Great game though, and I would certainly recommend EQ2 as well.  Especially as seeing as now you can play free for 60 days.

• DeadlyMageDeadlyMage Member Posts: 543

I LOVE TF2.

:)

so far my tf2 clock is 400 hours. :P got it on release...and still play it

• MircyMircy Member Posts: 34

After more than 2 years of WoW i feel like you , lose the point in playing so i was looking for a new game and found Aion so right now playing WoW(only login 4 days per week at raid start) and waiting for Aion to be released.

• graillgraill Member Posts: 257

My suggestion really, with all your descriptive words detailing your current gaming experiance........is to quit for a few months. Simple, its not a joke nor a judgement on your current state of being, just take time off and rather read the forums (ocassionaly) and stay up to date.

Travel to a friends house and watch them play and quietly observe, you will see some amazing stuff, things that you probably did while trying to find that perfect mmo experiance. In my opinion (grin) once your able to watch objectively and move away from the hype and the fuzzy factor MMO's lose their luster. Devs layout what they think we would like for entertainment (yes, entertainment) and program it as law, to date i see nothing in any mmo that remotely intrigues me and no i am not burnt out, i can just walk away from anything if it doesnt meet >my standards< and to date nothing has.

You might want to try this. Although aoc looks promising i wont touch it (for a few months yet subwise) i tried the open beta and it was...ok. but back on topic, take a few months off, dont subscribe to the **PRE ORDER NOW!!!** hype as its is always never worth it. post here on what you see watching your friends play, sometime scary, sometimes....just baffling. And just hang till you see a game that meets your standards, isnt work to login to, doesnt make you loathe doing that guild thingy or whatever.

Rremember an mmo is taken in moderation, it entertainment, something you want to do occasionaly to escape............not live in. Good luck in your hunt.

can you smell that?!!...............there is nothing quite like it.....................the smell of troll in the morning............i love that smell.

• danny_knox07danny_knox07 Member Posts: 2

thanks for all the info guys , i think im just gonna stop playing them ALL for a few months and see if i can get some of the excitment back, i really dont think ill go back to wow as i think once you reaslise the pointlessness of what the game is , you can never go back, (but dont quote me on that) i might feel different in a week lol

• CudaaCudaa Member Posts: 4

I'm wondering if anyone else has any suggestions of what to play next. I was totally where danny_knox07 was with WoW and I did what many of you suggested and just quit playing Mmorpg's all together for over three months. I played a lot of wii and console games while I took a break. So now I'm ready to get back into it. I am already addicted to Warhammer online with what I know about it and have my copy pre-ordered. Since that will take a lot of my time when that's released I don't really want to get into something that will be a total addiciton, but I'd love something to kill a few months time for me and be fun. I could go back to wow for a few months, but what's the point....level another character to leave it? So if you have any other suggestions what what to try after the break let me know.

• jarishjarish Member Posts: 526

I suggested LOTRO to the OP and I do the same for you. If you are in the same boat that is a good option. 14-day trial right now and good pricing options till the end of june.

Brandywine Global LFF chan "/joinchannel glff"

• SundersGhostSundersGhost Member Posts: 224

Originally posted by danny_knox07

Don't waste 40-50 bucks a pop trying a bunch of new games and not finding something to satisfy you.  Just take a couple months break from WoW, and by then WoW will repackage enough features of the competition into an "expansion" that you can resub to WoW and find out more of what other games have to offer. :)

Heh, okay, all kidding aside.  If you want suggestions, you should really give more of an idea of what you are looking for in a game.

• JonnyBigBossJonnyBigBoss Member UncommonPosts: 702

Same here man. I got so freaking bored of WoW I quit many times within 2 years. I refuse to go back especially because of how bad the community is and the lack of depth/incentive. I got back into FFXI but it's pretty bad tbh. I wish there was another game to play.