Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is GW worth it? Is there something better?

eq2jseq2js Member Posts: 94

I need a game with good PvP. That's all i care about right now. Need something to do untill WAR comes out. Considering DAoC but i dont know if it runs on Vista. Hell, i dont even know if GW runs on vista...

Comments

• PepsipwnzgodPepsipwnzgod Member Posts: 203

if you have a credit card handy you can buy the pvp pack that keeps your strictly in the pvp ring but you only have to pay i think 12 or 13 dollars.. and im fairly certain u have access to every skill if you buy the pvp pack but yea if all your after is pvp GW is a good way to go.. a fair warning though, it's all 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 builds and it's being quickly ruined by guild wars wiki

-----------------------------
    IVE PLAYED WOW AND LIKED IT SO IM A FANBOI PLZ FLAME MY THREADS CUZ I MIGHT MENTION WOW

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

Guild Wars has the best PvP out there...especially if you're looking to get into it quickly without grinding to max level. I'd recommend it. As mentioned, you can purchase a PvP pack which will help you get started.

• ipod80gbipod80gb Member Posts: 90

my guild wars runs on my  vista

It runs fine on my Vista laptop.

• LuxthorLuxthor Member Posts: 171

Originally posted by eq2js

I need a game with good PvP. That's all i care about right now. Need something to do untill WAR comes out. Considering DAoC but i dont know if it runs on Vista. Hell, i dont even know if GW runs on vista...

GuildWars is GvG game, if you looking for PvP type games like UO, DAoC, WoW, etc. then forget about, but I will still recommend you to try. GW is beautiful and most stabile MMO I ever played.

---
    "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

If you prefer mindless button mashing PvP a la WoW then this isn't the game for you. If you one prefer tactics, planning and involvement of skills in PvP then I would definitely recommend the game. You can't just charge in and expect your gear to save you - everyone will have as good gear as you do - and neither can you just throw on a few skills and charge in - designing and putting together skill setups a major part of the game. A lot of skill is required to know what works good and what doesn't, and when to use what skill; you can't always take on everything with the same tactic.

Theory crafting is a large part of the game, and a part which requires a lot of knowledge. It doesn't end there though; in the higher end PvP (HA, GvG and some extent HB) the outcome of the battle will depend on your actions, be they good or bad. If you haven't already guess that I would recommend Guild Wars for it's, in my opinion, excellent PvP, just don't expect the typical button mashing.

• dannyjjjjdannyjjjj Member Posts: 7

i say guild wars is for people that never played any mmorpgs or people that dont want something too fancy.

the no monthly fee was a bonus my first mmorpg back in day and ma favorite now.

the story line can get a little boring and all but if you actually learn where the good stuff is can be fun.

• PepsipwnzgodPepsipwnzgod Member Posts: 203
    Originally posted by Luxthor

Originally posted by eq2js

GuildWars is GvG game, if you looking for PvP type games like UO, DAoC, WoW, etc. then forget about, but I will still recommend you to try. GW is beautiful and most stabile MMO I ever played.

guild based pvp in guild wars is ironically enough the least active pvp, most of it is team/random arena matches with 4 other people..

-----------------------------
    IVE PLAYED WOW AND LIKED IT SO IM A FANBOI PLZ FLAME MY THREADS CUZ I MIGHT MENTION WOW

• AjninrepuSAjninrepuS Member Posts: 52

The biggest plus I have about guild wars is the switch up in unlearning skill and assigning them over and over free of charge in any city.. Unlike other MMO's..

I've been playing around with guildwars for a while and love it.. Don't play it much because I don't have a major guild but I do enjoy it..

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

if you trully are a dedicated pvper guildwars is the best free game out there and the gamer there are hard to beat a the top echelon.

tho if you arent dedicated dont bother the pvp will be too hard .

this game is like chest very easy to start very hard to master ,there are a lot of subtle thing that goes around that most gamer never pickup lol. i love this game in pvp

but hell i dont have the talent to build comple 8vs8 build to compete against the best not only in america but in all known guildwars world(canada,usa,korea to name few)

• AjninrepuSAjninrepuS Member Posts: 52
    Originally posted by drbaltazar

if you trully are a dedicated pvper guildwars is the best free game out there and the gamer there are hard to beat a the top echelon.
    tho if you arent dedicated dont bother the pvp will be too hard .
    this game is like chest very easy to start very hard to master ,there are a lot of subtle thing that goes around that most gamer never pickup lol. i love this game in pvp
    but hell i dont have the talent to build comple 8vs8 build to compete against the best not only in america but in all known guildwars world(canada,usa, KOREA to name few)

Bah, Korea.. They wtfpwn me every single time..

Originally posted by Pepsipwnzgod

guild based pvp in guild wars is ironically enough the least active pvp, most of it is team/random arena matches with 4 other people..

Just out of interest, how do you know this? Not saying I'm disagreeing, just wondering if there's stats out there showing it.

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Originally posted by Pepsipwnzgod

First off I wonder where you got these facts; and even then they are quite irrelevant. Because I while I sure could see it being so it's probably because the Random Arena attracts all beginners and is easy to just join, while GvG on the other hand requires 8 dedicated guild members and lots of coordination. In RA you just click the "Join Game" button and get sent into it - in GvG you must form the team, decide waht to run, get the skills, get on vent, let everyone fix their gear and then start the game.

Guild Versus Guild is the highest form of PvP providing the biggest challenge and requiring large amounts of skill from the players; that it's the least active PvP isn't very strange with that in mind.

• ZerocydeZerocyde Member UncommonPosts: 412

Play Shadowbane. It's free, and is the only mmo ever made so far with real pvp.

Only thing is, you have to have brains to be good at it.

"It is in your nature to do one thing correctly; Before me, you rightfully tremble. But, fear is not what you owe me. You owe me awe." ~Francis Dolarhyde