Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWG featured in Guinness World Records: Gamers Edition

ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

For an MMO that's suppose to be dieing and not gaining any interest, SWG is one of 5 MMO's (at least I think it was 5, the other 4 I remember was WoW, EvE, EQ2 & Second Life) to get its own 2 page spread in this new book I noticed on display at Borders tonight.  First I had heard of it, and was kinda surprised it hasn't been something SOE or LA have mentioned.

Some of the records/interesting facts I noticed in the feature was:

• As of September 2007, 7.75 million items have been crafted on Bria (which is also noted as the largest server, duh)
  • Intrepid was home to the very first Jedi
  • SWG was the first to allow people to place their own houses to form a Player City
  • The longest lasting player corpse was on Bloodfin (I think I'm remembering that right) at the Talus IO for 3ish years
  • Restuss is the largest PvP zone

SWG also got a few other mentions in the book for a few other things too that I can't remember the complete details on...

Comments

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

Originally posted by Obraik

For an MMO that's suppose to be dieing and not gaining any interest, SWG is one of 5 MMO's (at least I think it was 5, the other 4 I remember was WoW, EvE, EQ2 & Second Life) to get its own 2 page spread in this new book I noticed on display at Borders tonight.  First I had heard of it, and was kinda surprised it hasn't been something SOE or LA have mentioned.

As of September 2007, 7.75 million items have been crafted on Bria (which is also noted as the largest server, duh)
    Intrepid was home to the very first Jedi
    SWG was the first to allow people to place their own houses to form a Player City
    The longest lasting player corpse was on Bloodfin (I think I'm remembering that right) at the Talus IO for 3ish years
    Restuss is the largest PvP zone

SWG also got a few other mentions in the book for a few other things too that I can't remember the complete details on...

ok, so you do realize the first jedi was pre-cu, so was player housing, and crafting was only good pre-cu.

So lets see here, you have a corpse and a pvp zone.

Happy now?

-Jive

• Nikoz78Nikoz78 Member UncommonPosts: 910

According to Amazon.com the book was published March 11, 2008. That explains why I haven't heard of it yet. Thanks dude. Gonna have to get a copy.

The official description reads:

Guinness World Records, the world's leading authority on record-breaking achievement, is launching the ultimate annual compendium of videogaming achievements. Guinness World Records Gamer's Edition 2008 brings you record-breaking computer- and video-game accomplishments from around the world, including high scores, biggest tournaments, largest cash prizes and most successful games.

In addition to thousands of high scores and records, the book features a round-up of the key events of the video-gaming year--including reviews of new releases, new consoles and the major tournaments--along with detailed game strategies, interviews with the professionals, tips and cheats to improve your play, tabulated information, full-color photography and illustrations, league tables, bizarre facts and amazingtrivia.

One one the writers for the Guinness World Records is Dave Hawksett. His bio reads:

Current job title: Freelance editor and writer (MMORPG's)

Dave Hawksett was science and technology editor at Guinness World Records for five years and now acts as a consultant on topics ranging from computer games to astrophysics.

His favourite games today are Star Wars Galaxies, where he fights dirty as a rebel spy, and Armed Assault.

Guinness World Records: Gamers Edition (2008)

I miss the good ol' days when nerds were actually intelligent.

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642

What about the record of lost customers? Surely it achieved that as well.

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• Originally posted by JestorRodo

What about the record of lost customers? Surely it achieved that as well.

I think DnL has that all tied up.

• jaxscorpio34jaxscorpio34 Member Posts: 204

The people who brought us records for things such as the world's longest toenails and the longest distance driven on a unicycle somehow give credence to your argument that the game is not suffering from a lack of players.  I just do not see what the records you've listed have to do with the actual state of the game or the level of dissatisfaction many players have with SOE. 

Ok so this was the first game that offered players a chance to build player cities.  Yeah, we see where that led the game.  It's been plagued with dead cities and abandoned houses all over the landscape for years.  They've done ONE (1) housing purge in 5 years to get rid of the dead or abandoned houses.  Of course they then offered folks like me free trials so we could log into the game, free of charge, reload our homes with money, and remove the abandoned status so they'll stay in the game world for another five years or until SOE does it's next purge.  So, in retrospect, I don't think I'd be bragging too much about being the only game to allow player cities since quite a few of the servers are plagued with abandoned cities and structures brought about by a flawed system that allows houses to remain in the game world long after a player has left the game.

The first player Jedi you say?  That's not exactly something I'd be bragging about in the current state of the game where everyone can be a Jedi by just clicking a button.  Bringing up the whole, Monika was the first Jedi, might make people talk about the days when there were actually accomplishments in the game and not all of this instant gratification crap they have in SWG now.

Player corpse at the IO for 3 years eh?  So what you're saying is a player died at the IO, logged out, never logged into that character again and, due to an error in coding, his corpse remained in the world for 3 years?  That's not exactly something I'd be bragging about.  In fact, it pretty much proves what many have said about SOE's inability and/or unwillingness to fix bugs in the game that have lasted for years.

Restuss in the largest PVP zone.  So SOE destroyed a city that hardly no one visited to create a PVP zone that only a small fraction of the playerbase use since, according to people like you, most people playing the game do not have an officer or engage in PVP.  Yeah, that's something I'd be bragging about if I were SOE.

Finally, as of September 2007 7.75 million items had been crafted on Bria.  Fantastic!  I wonder how many of those items were crafted prior to November 2005 when the crafting game was actually considered a premiere part of the game and decay drove those numbers to the levels currently reported in the Guiness book of records.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Restuss in the largest PVP zone.  So SOE destroyed a city that hardly no one visited to create a PVP zone that only a small fraction of the playerbase use since, according to people like you, most people playing the game do not have an officer or engage in PVP.  Yeah, that's something I'd be bragging about if I were SOE. 

More to the point, the ENTIRE GAME WORLD used to be a PvP zone, until they NGE"d everything. On many servers, PvP no longer exists, in any meaningful way. Not even in Restuss.

People go to Restuss to kill the "Hand" NPC and that's it.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Hey that's pretty cool.  Nice to see Guiness starting to keep track of such things.

I feel bad for that guy that was laying dead in Talus.  Hard to believe no one gave him a decent burial.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Originally posted by jaxscorpio34

The people who brought us records for things such as the world's longest toenails and the longest distance driven on a unicycle somehow give credence to your argument that the game is not suffering from a lack of players.  I just do not see what the records you've listed have to do with the actual state of the game or the level of dissatisfaction many players have with SOE. 

Ok so this was the first game that offered players a chance to build player cities.  Yeah, we see where that led the game.  It's been plagued with dead cities and abandoned houses all over the landscape for years.  They've done ONE (1) housing purge in 5 years to get rid of the dead or abandoned houses.  Of course they then offered folks like me free trials so we could log into the game, free of charge, reload our homes with money, and remove the abandoned status so they'll stay in the game world for another five years or until SOE does it's next purge.  So, in retrospect, I don't think I'd be bragging too much about being the only game to allow player cities since quite a few of the servers are plagued with abandoned cities and structures brought about by a flawed system that allows houses to remain in the game world long after a player has left the game.

The first player Jedi you say?  That's not exactly something I'd be bragging about in the current state of the game where everyone can be a Jedi by just clicking a button.  Bringing up the whole, Monika was the first Jedi, might make people talk about the days when there were actually accomplishments in the game and not all of this instant gratification crap they have in SWG now.

Player corpse at the IO for 3 years eh?  So what you're saying is a player died at the IO, logged out, never logged into that character again and, due to an error in coding, his corpse remained in the world for 3 years?  That's not exactly something I'd be bragging about.  In fact, it pretty much proves what many have said about SOE's inability and/or unwillingness to fix bugs in the game that have lasted for years.

Finally, as of September 2007 7.75 million items had been crafted on Bria.  Fantastic!  I wonder how many of those items were crafted prior to November 2005 when the crafting game was actually considered a premiere part of the game and decay drove those numbers to the levels currently reported in the Guiness book of records.
    And as usual, someone takes things far too seriously...

I guess you don't really "get" what the Guinness Records book series are all about...nor did you really "get" my OP.

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383

I guess you don't really "get" what the Guinness Records book series are all about...nor did you really "get" my OP.

But aside from "not getting it" am I to asume that you agree with Jaxscorpio's points?

• Nikoz78Nikoz78 Member UncommonPosts: 910

More to the point, the ENTIRE GAME WORLD used to be a PvP zone, until they NGE"d everything. On many servers, PvP no longer exists, in any meaningful way. Not even in Restuss.
    People go to Restuss to kill the "Hand" NPC and that's it.
    Really? The ENTIRE game had PvP EVERYWHERE?

I generally satisfy my PvP needs in FPS's and not MMORPG's.

But in the old days it always seemed that Naboo in front of the Star Port was "PvP central." I see PvP there to this day (but not as much).

I haven't seen a massive PvP battle in Anchor Head since October 2003.

Mostly I just remember either 1 on 1 battles in various Star Ports (I still see this), or a hand full of players PvPing in yet more Star Ports.

Then there were sizable battles between guilds over player cities.

But you are exaggerating. The game was never a huge PvP battle ground. Most people engaged in PvE.

I miss the good ol' days when nerds were actually intelligent.

Originally posted by Suvroc

But aside from "not getting it" am I to asume that you agree with Jaxscorpio's points?

How can I agree with someones points when they don't get the jist of the post?

None of those lines were mentioned by me as bragging rights like he took them, they were posted as facts that stood out from the feature to me that I thought were interesting.  His reply was a bit like arguing about the positives/negatives of Kilometers vs Miles in a post mentioning the fact that the Earth has a circumference of 40,075km.

There were other facts mentioned in the feature, but these are what stood out to me - you'll have to stop by your local book store/library and have a look at the rest ;)

Oh...another fact I remember is that SWG was apparantly the first MMO to hold an in-game memorial.  The flag between Bestine and Anchorhead is a memorial for an early beta tester called "Moraj" who died in a car accident during the beta.

None of those lines were mentioned by me as bragging rights like he took them, they were posted as facts that stood out from the feature to me that I thought were interesting.  His reply was a bit like arguing about the positives/negatives of Kilometers vs Miles in a post mentioning the fact that the Earth has a circumference of 40,075km.
    There were other facts mentioned in the feature, but these are what stood out to me - you'll have to stop by your local book store/library and have a look at the rest ;)

Ok then lets start from the beginning.

Can you clarify for everyone what your point was exactly? Don't try and be coy about it, just come out and say it.

Can you clarify for everyone what your point was exactly? Don't try and be coy about it, just come out and say it.

The first paragraph was a bit of showing off...how does a game that is suppose to be dead and no ones interested in (according to certain people on this forum at least) score a 2 page feature in a somewhat high-profile book? ;)

The second part was just sharing some of the facts that stood out to me from the feature...not really related to the first paragraph.

• JK-KanosiJK-Kanosi Member Posts: 1,357

How can it be a fact that Restuss is the largest PvP zone, when games like DAoC exist, FFA Games exist, and even some of WoW's battlegrounds are larger than Restuss. Their so called facts are off.

MMORPG's w/ Max level characters: DAoC, SWG, & WoW

Currently Playing: WAR
    Preferred Playstyle: Roleplay/adventurous, in a sandbox game.

The first paragraph was a bit of showing off...how does a game that is suppose to be dead and no ones interested in (according to certain people on this forum at least) score a 2 page feature in a somewhat high-profile book? ;)

The second part was just sharing some of the facts that stood out to me from the feature...not really related to the first paragraph.

Ok this helps.

I would believe that the fact that it's a high profile IP helps to make it into this book. But more importantly I think it's wrong to say this game is dead, rather a statement proclaiming it's dieing might be more accurate.

The process of "dieing" cannot be judged by taking snapshots of a moment in time. It must be compared to it's state of  "health" throughout it's "lifetime".

Would you still be "showing off" if next year that same book showed a completely different picture of a game with significantly reduced stats?

Originally posted by JK-Kanosi

How can it be a fact that Restuss is the largest PvP zone, when games like DAoC exist, FFA Games exist, and even some of WoW's battlegrounds are larger than Restuss. Their so called facts are off.

I believe facts like this are specific to the game in the feature...ie. Restuss is the biggest PvP zone in SWG.  Although, I'm not too sure that's correct for SWG either...Deep Space is probably bigger then Restuss.

• BaronJuJuBaronJuJu Member UncommonPosts: 1,832

The corpse on Bloofin is Icir, who recently posted about it. Our guild had a tradition of bowing to his corpse everytime we landed at that port.

"If we don't attack them, they will attack us first. So we'd better retaliate before they have a chance to strike"

• TookyGTookyG Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,115

As of September 2007, 7.75 million items have been crafted on Bria (which is also noted as the largest server, duh)
    SWG was the first to allow people to place their own houses to form a Player City
    The longest lasting player corpse was on Bloodfin (I think I'm remembering that right) at the Talus IO for 3ish years

I find that hard to believe.  Only 7.75 million items?  Since the beginning of the game?  Maybe since the NGE hit but I can't believe that so few items were crafted since launch.

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Was it Bloodfin? I thought it was Corbantis, anyways they even made funeral ceremony annual events on that guy.

• DracusDracus Member Posts: 1,449

Ok this helps.

I would believe that the fact that it's a high profile IP helps to make it into this book.

Also need to add in two factors, along with the IP:

- Marketing

- Favoritism by the Author

And that is why...

Conservatives' pessimism is conducive to their happiness in three ways. First, they are rarely surprised -- they are right more often than not about the course of events. Second, when they are wrong they are happy to be so. Third, because pessimistic conservatives put not their faith in princes -- government -- they accept that happiness is a function of fending for oneself. They believe that happiness is an activity -- it is inseparable from the pursuit of happiness.

• Originally posted by TookyG

I find that hard to believe.  Only 7.75 million items?  Since the beginning of the game?  Maybe since the NGE hit but I can't believe that so few items were crafted since launch.

I have the same doubts. I know on my crafter he used to pup out thousands of items a week.

This would have to exclude factories completely which is nonsense as a majority of items are crafted using them.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

I might take a wild guess here, but they might've counted power bits and modifier bits as crafted items.

I think the crafted number probably excludes factory produced items.

• airborne519airborne519 Member Posts: 542

From the sounds of it, the records come from pre-NGE, sure NGE has contributed, but there is no way in Haiti that NGE could be breaking any sort of positive record, or a sole contributor to any of those records.. especially crafting... The game isn't dead, but every game has an end eventually, not wishfull thinking, just a fact of life.. sorry.