Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

and I keep coming back...

manofsteelmanofsteel Member Posts: 19

I am coming back to this game after quitting like four times in probably 2 1/2 years.  I always miss it and then find I don't have the time to play and quit again. 

Someone in an earlier post said the game has poor graphics and no distinction between classes...

Let me count the ways that I love AO...

An OLD game and still kicking @$$

Sure the graphics are getting older but the characters have the best detail and and lots or room for customization with armor and social clothing.  The female characters are actually hot!  I used to place AC2 which had better graphics but the race choices sucked IMO and my character walked like he had a stick up his @$$, how can you feel cool with a character like that?

Design... the buildings, mobs, armor, weapons, landscape, all have kick ass designs that look cool even on an old game.

Music... I just can't see how the music can be beat.  The first thing that happens before the game loads is you get greeted by the chilling opening music which totally sets the tone for the game.  Where can I buy the soundtrack?

Humor... The creators have a great sense of humor.  You see this all throughout the game... Leets, Atrox's wearing bikini's, Bronto Burger, and some outrageous names for weapons and mobs.

Lots of details... The combo of weapons, skills, implants, nanos, and perks are great for those that like to have lots of details to work with.  These complexities continue to make the game interesting to me because there are endless combinations and the best of them take time to figure out.  Problems...  This actually can also be a little of a downfall for the game as well.  If you are not uber optimized for all of the above you are hopelessly gimped.  You may be playing with people who have been playing the game a long time with tons of credits gathered from other characters and are tweaked to the gills.  Also being uber optimized actually funnels down to a short list of choices for any given profession.  Sure there are people who do things unique (Trox MP or sword wielding Fixer for instance) and do well but these chars usually still majorly gimped in some areas.   

Other problems...

Shadowlands... take a large playfield, add a second even larger playfield, do this at a time when the industry is being bombarded with many new hyped up titles = much less players in each playfield.  I really like Shadowlands but I really hate the idea of making it a second world.  IMO if you are going to do something like this you might as well make a whole new game.  Making Shadowlands a separate world was very divisive.  I still liked to go on missions with teams in RK and the release of Shadowlands pretty much ended that.  After Shadowlands it became much harder to team in RK.

Shadowlands cont...  The other thing I don't like about shadowlands is that I fealt like I was having to learn a new game all over again.  This was one of the times that I quit... I just didn't want to learn how else I could use my fixer who could no longer grid or use a yalm among many other changes (changes to healing, new armor, weapons etc...).  Normally all this new content is very good, it gives you much more to do and lots of new areas to explore.  I fealt that Shadowlands was different enough than RK that it was kind of a different game.  Shadowlands gave me more to do but I still missed the RK experience that was now getting killed.  I guess it kind of alienated me.  IMO the better thing to do would have been to skip Shadowlands and go directly to AI.

Speaking of AI... New hope on the horizon...

I am hoping that AI fixes the things that I think Shadowlands broke.  AI will bring more content back to RK and hopefully the people will follow.  These changes will also bring AO up with other games that allready offer player owned towns etc... 

Question for others... 

I am now installing AO again and I would like to know if you have been seeing more people around RK who are anticipating the new release. 

Random thoughts...

I wonder what could come for AO after this release.  I wonder if AO will finally come to that point of "there is nothing more" after AI.  I am sure Funcom will think of something cool but we are on the verge of some other very big titles coming out and at the same time AO is not getting any younger.  Funcom is also working on another game... interesting...

Ok thanks for reading this very long meandering post... I am installing AO and I am very tired.

Comments

• AprillyAprilly Member UncommonPosts: 124

I agree with what you said about SL.  It is like a separate game.  I also miss teaming for missions.  There have been times when there are NO requests for teams for days at a time.  What really gets me mad is when people call you stupid because you want to do missions.  But I think what has really hurt the game is HECKLERS.  They give so much XP and money.  There are plenty of what I call Heckler noobs that reach high level and have tons of money and dont know a thing about the game.  All they do is kill Hecklers.  That would be fine but these "players" have unbalanced the game economy they have more credits than brains.  The cost of the newer weapons, armor, etc. has gotten just plain stupid.  Its makes the game hard for those who want a little variety in the game and who want to enjoy the total experience.  Another thing that is some of the better items in RK are boss loot only and you can only get those missions if you are part of a team.  Funcom needs to do somthing about that. 

To end on a humorous note, The other day on the OOC channel an engi asked how to make a pet.  This would not have been a big deal except he was level 202 !!!.   Ebay strikes again.

That which does not kill you only makes you stronger.

• manofsteelmanofsteel Member Posts: 19

Thats funny, I was wondering why there seemed to be so many high level chars running around, it seems like there are now a higher percentage of chars lvl 200 and over than before.  I just figured that the higher level characters were the hardcores sticking around because they had put so much time in getting to such a high level.  Hmmm, maybe they should nerf the Hecklers.  If Funcom received a bunch of requests to nerf Hecklers they might actually listen.  To be honest I have never even seen a Heckler.  Like I said in my earlier post I haven't done much with SL but I do like the designs and graphics.  I suppose I should at least try the Hecklers before I talk about the need to nerf them.  Hmmm on that note maybe I should take advantage of the levelling before Funcom does decide to nerf them... lol.  I "grew up" in RK, this way my first MMORPG and still my favorite.  I have tried others but end up missing AO and coming back.  To see RK decline with the release of SL made me sad image.  Since then I have survived in RK by soloing with my Engi.  The nice thing about pet professions is that they can solo max difficulty missions fairly easily.  I can get about a level and a half for one mission like this so it is slow going.  I think people have forgotten how fast you can level in missions with a good team.  My personal best is 5 levels in one mission... that was a crazy team.  On the other hand missioning does have it's own frustrations.  The following scenario has played out plenty of times...  take 45 minutes or so to coordinate getting a team together, getting the mission, and then getting everyone at the mission.  When you get into the mission and fight your first mob someone stands in a door or opens a chest and gets an add.  Half the team dies and two people get mad and quit.  Now you are back at Bronto Burger, rinse and repeat.  Ahhh the good old days.

Good news... I have been checking the forums at Anarchy-online.com and there are lots of posts about people getting excited about "the good old days" of RK.  People are anticipating that the old hangouts in RK are going to be repopulated with the release of AI... lets hope so.

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

Originally posted by manofsteel
    Good news... I have been checking the forums at Anarchy-online.com and there are lots of posts about people getting excited about "the good old days" of RK.  People are anticipating that the old hangouts in RK are going to be repopulated with the release of AI... lets hope so.

Good lord I hope so as well... I Loved AO with a passion prior to SL.. It was and till this day still is the most complete MMO I have ever played in my life... There was just to many things to do to occupy your time.. It was truely like you were living another life at times... Well that was untill SL came out and just took that away... I never thought one expansion could do so much harm.... blah sorry im slipping into that pool of hate....

I sure hope AI is able to bring back the old RK, the RK were people were begging for buffs, pvping, selling, teaming, farming, crafting, raiding, dancing, ect, ect.... I miss that world and I sure hope AI brings it back.  But I the thought of having to step foot in SL still bothers me :(

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• digitydarkmandigitydarkman Member Posts: 2,194

Originally posted by manofsteel
    I am coming back to this game after quitting like four times in probably 2 1/2 years. I always miss it and then find I don't have the time to play and quit again.

Yep, just reactivated my old accoutn made a new keepr got a yalm and got up to like lvl 40ish havent logged on in weeks now

image image image

• Red_RiderRed_Rider Member Posts: 261

I also play off and on, my biggest problem with AO was the lack of player stores.  Since I don't play regularly, I never really fit into guilds, and being a loner it is he## finding nanos, armor and whatever without a bazaar or some kind of player run stores.

So if the implementation works, I guess I'll be back again.....