Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How different from 2-3 yrs ago?

fantarosfantaros Member Posts: 394

I played the original game a long time ago, i think it was shortly after release. I m a big PvP fan and i get bored with PvE pretty quickly.

From what i remember i got 2 lvl 20 toons with almost all skills, a ranger and a mesmer. I quit because i joined the army for one and because i got kind of tired of the repetitive pvp arenas, except for the guild vs guild games, those were amazing. Also i enjoyed lvling my 1st toon, but lvling the 2nd one was a drag, repeating the same content over and over again..... And thunder keep or w/e it was named was a freaking nightmare.

So the question is, game is free i know, but i have been out of touch with it for a long time, is the PvP any different? worth coming back? and if so which update should i buy?

Comments

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

Since you're interested in PvP, you'll need to buy both Factions and Nightfall, as well as Eye of the North, as they add various skills that are vital for PvP.

With regards to how different the game is...there have been a few generic content upgrades. The meat of new content comes in the campaigns and expansion. Each campaign adds a new continent with missions and quests (essentially a new storyline for each), as well as two new professions per campaign. Factions added new types of PvP too, as well as Nightfall. Eye of the North is very PvE-oriented.

You'll find that there is more reward in PvE, as you have Titles to work towards. There are various mini-games too. All in all, you'll experience a very different game (in a good way) from the original. With only Prophecies you will unfortunately not be able to play PvP properly, though. You can pick up bundles for quite cheap these days anyway.

• NoHPNoHP Member Posts: 17

It's worth the come back if you only play the main campaign.  Lot of new things are added and the control that you were accustom to got changed also.  Lydon sum it up well but I want to add that after Nightfall campaign you get to have Heroes which are like henchmen but you can customized them with skills and weapon (armor piece adjust according to their lvl).  Heroes come very handy and are way better than henchmen and of course you can only have 3 heroes at one time.  Check them out..

• exanimoexanimo Member UncommonPosts: 1,301

i want to add that , i have 7 chars , but i almost just play with one
    becose i also think its boring to do te same ,, even with diferent skills and task. so what i did was do everything i could with the same char , i have unlocked almost 900 skills with this char , changing second profession. so if you hose to buy all chapters and the expantion , i would advise you to chose one pve char and do it all with it. for a casual player is the best way imo. and im sure you have enoph content untill gw2 comes out ... im playing gw for 36 months and still i have not done all , dont have all skills.

• KKnowsBestKKnowsBest Member Posts: 1

PvEwise, yes it is worth the come back, the content has been upgraded to a certain extent (not always in a good way, but that is just IMO), as for the PvP side, DO NOT COME BACK, you'll just change your current opinion of how geat used to be Guild Wars. All the veterans left (there are some exception ofc) and there are no big rivalties like the QQ/iQ one... No more epic fights, all there is now is a meta and people running it... and some oldschool guilds that tries to innovate and does succeed (credit to dR). I don't know much about the GvG side, but from what I've learned, it has become a mess. The balanced was f**** up. It's just not the same feeling. As for Heroes' ascent, it has become , truly, a mess. There are no more 8 active district but about 2 and a half (the last one only counts as a half). FOTM builds infest and the format as changed (to the worse). People don't innovate anymore, and they play for fame. All the oldschool players left (except Chamalee, and Leeloof, but that's another story). The game is dying in every aspect of PvP. TA now have ONE active district. HB well its HB, nothing much to say about it. People became obsessed with ranks/titles/shiny shiny emotes and that killed the whole spirit behind GW1 (before factions came out), when being creative > being r14 or champ 7. And it is true that to survive(if you ever come back) you'll have to buy all the other chapters, because the meta is so thight now, and people STICK to the current-meta, that is has became impossible to play with only the first chapter. People just don't have the same "drive" like in the old days... and it is understandable (the game is getting older, and people feel that they have tried everything, now it's time to farm fame/champ points much?). Many of the top guilds has been SOLD for real dough. (I'm thinking about DF, eF, ...). The legendary Guilds died (EviL left, VOID left, even WM is not what it used to be, iQ is dead, QQ is dead (some of their members are in dR though), all the good HA guilds are dead. Oh and yes, holding does not result in the server to get the favor of gods, since now the favor of gods is linked to PvE titles achievements.

So to sum up that big wall of text, do not come back, the veterans left and the blood is not renewing (blood renewal :P -- ok that was a bad joke but MEH). The atmosphere is just different, there's no more innovation but only 1 FOTM build. Ohhh my I remember when there were mesmers in every HA balanced as well as 3 monks, and holding builds, and even ViM...

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by KKnowsBest

So to sum up that big wall of text, do not come back, the veterans left and the blood is not renewing (blood renewal :P -- ok that was a bad joke but MEH).
    financial reports for 2008 say otherwise, people are still buying Guild Wars

The Korean developer posts $7.7 million profit for first quarter,

credits Lineage and Guild Wars for 16 percent year-on-year rise.

www.gamespot.com/news/6190983.html

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

The thing with PvP is that it's constantly changing due to skill updates and other elements; for instance they've added Hero Battles where you alone command three heroes, a game which got a ladder and requires quite a lot of skill to master. Apart from that I guess that GvG is quite the same - which means that it will be fun now too. If you're coming back for the higher end PvP (GvG, HA, HB) then you'll need to buy at least all campaigns (Prophecies (which you already got), Factions, Nightfall) and also consider Eye of the North.

PvE have changed a lot mainly because of the addition of a lot of new content in the newer campaigns, so you can expect lots of more fun to be had there. In Nightfall they added heroes which basically are customizable henchmen, i.e. allowing you to decide runes, insignias and skills, and these are a factor that in many ways changed the PvE content; to the better or worse depending on if you prefer PuGs or not.

For short you will find most of the PvP to be the same, and from what I understood: fun. However in order for you to be able to play the truly competitive and fun arenas you'll have to buy all campaigns. The PvE part of the game will feature lots of new elements and areas that you can explore, and enjoy.

Finally; if you can only afford one campaign then buy Nightfall. For PvP purposes you then get access to (almost) all skills for the two professions introduced in it: paragons and dervishes; that allows you to play those professions, as you got access to (almost) all their skills. It's also the best campaign seen PvE wise; and also introduces heroes, which will prove a valuable resource for both PvP (you can play Hero Battles) and PvE (you'll always want them with you).