Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall like pre-cpu SWG

Pants52Pants52 Member Posts: 68

Looks to me like the game is quite like the good ole days of SWG

or

Am i wrong?

Comments

• DraccanDraccan Member Posts: 1,050

Originally posted by Pants52

or
    Am i wrong?

SWG was a real game, under real development, from SOE. DF is not under real development, have nothing to show for it.

While DF does have the concepts of sandbox and therefore similarities with SWG it can not be judged seriously as it is a NON game; either a joke or hoax.

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

The concept of DF is very similar to Pre-CU SWG. Its a players based sandbox MMO. They build a gameworld and its up to the players to "live" there. Noone will tell you what to do. You will make your own goals and "endgame", and then change if you want and do something else.

• StanfordStanford Member Posts: 218

Originally posted by Draccan

or
    Am i wrong?

SWG was a real game, under real development, from SOE. DF is not under real development, have nothing to show for it.

While DF does have the concepts of sandbox and therefore similarities with SWG it can not be judged seriously as it is a NON game; either a joke or hoax.

SWG is still real ..real crap ..and the laughing stock and biggest joke of the industry..lol

or
    Am i wrong?

Many things in common with the pre cu sandbox design of SWG, but then SWG was sci fi fantasy and DF will be medieval fantasy. DF will be FPS style with full looting what SWG never was. Raise skills in DF will not be that important like train profession in SWG (well i expect it that way).

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

Didnt' know DF was going to be FPS style. 

I am pretty sure that means I won't be playing it, regardless of how good/bad anything else is in this game.

As I've stated elsewhere, it's not that I don't like FPS games, I really enjoy them.  I like MMORPG's, too.  I just like them and play them for very different reasons. 

With an FPS game, it's all about killing and the rush of combat.  I want that quick, simple, easy fix... that's what FPS games are for. 

MMORPG's = other world experience, imho.  Not just the combat field, but the 'content'. 

I'm sorry, I'm not posting to flame DF or SWG at this point, but we all know what happened to SWG when they rolled out the NGE and the FPS style system.  Maybe that's not a fair comparison, but it was very negatively received.

I think some will like it, of course.  I just doubt very seriously that I will be one of them.

• curiousdaoccuriousdaoc Member Posts: 203

Originally posted by BlackWatch

but we all know what happened to SWG when they rolled out the NGE and the FPS style system.  Maybe that's not a fair comparison, but it was very negatively received.

Considering it didn't involve a "FPS System" and still doesn't, seems like you never played, and judged it based on what you had read.

If anything, the NGE is most comparable to a 3rd person action game, with rpg elements mixed it, it has no feel of an FPS game at all, and I have never met anyone who played it in First Person.

• KOrnfan4evrKOrnfan4evr Member Posts: 334

Only things darkfall and SWG (Pre-cu) have in common, is player driven economies.  And the monsters will fight each other (sorry but one of myk favorite things in swg when i was getting bored with fighting. Used to watch to take a break.).

The combat, the skill system (since pre-cu had barely any real choice on all the things you could be.  Compared to the IDEA of DF).  and of course mounts will be completely different.

I was actually losing hope for DF, but since they plan to release it this year, im getting my hopes up again.  But I would have to laugh if on their "release date" they pull a, GOTCHA!

I am pretty sure that means I won't be playing it, regardless of how good/bad anything else is in this game.
    As I've stated elsewhere, it's not that I don't like FPS games, I really enjoy them.  I like MMORPG's, too.  I just like them and play them for very different reasons. 
    With an FPS game, it's all about killing and the rush of combat.  I want that quick, simple, easy fix... that's what FPS games are for. 
    MMORPG's = other world experience, imho.  Not just the combat field, but the 'content'. 
    I'm sorry, I'm not posting to flame DF or SWG at this point, but we all know what happened to SWG when they rolled out the NGE and the FPS style system.  Maybe that's not a fair comparison, but it was very negatively received.
    I think some will like it, of course.  I just doubt very seriously that I will be one of them.

SWG got an very ...very weird type of  semi monstrosity type of FPS.

Had same thoughts like you and then one day i got my hands on a copy of Mount&Blade and since then ibelieve in FPS combat can be done  right.  Was excited then to read DF developers refer to M&B combat to compare their type of combat.

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

Why waste a good game world on a point and click combat system? That would really be the worst thing that could happen. If DF had that i wouldent care one second to play it.

Same reason why i cant care for WAR : (

The FPS system let you live the game world much more. RP will be much easier and you have full control over your actions. Why wouldent someone wanna have that?

I have tryed a point and click once, a WoW fre trial. And i will never try that again. Hmm, i did play SWG, as my first MMO. I didnt know better then. A wonderful sandbox gameworld. So after 2003 --- no point and click for me : )

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

Hmm.. well, i can at least understand it. But a short sidenote, you cant call the NGE combat a real fps combat, it was just pure button mashing withouth any skill and tactics. If you want to have a clue what FPS combat means in a medivial game, just try mount&blade.

And the darkfall combat is similar to mount&blade, just add spells and special moves.. well and grenades(or in DF potions) like in BF(like smoke bomb).

The point is, if put well together(not like the simplyfing NGE) it could combine the best of both worlds, but however up to now we have not seen anything like that, so it remains to be seen.