Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WINDOWS VS LINUX!!!

OK FINAL.. As simple as polls get. Windows or Linux.. This is overall. Gaming, Working, Music, Family, Basics, Entertainment, ANY...

"When i grow up, Im gonna be a Predator!"

"I fear no enemy! For the Khala is my strength! I fear not death. For our strength is eternal!" - Fenix

Comments

• dizirgeedizirgee Member UncommonPosts: 156

lol windows rulez 8:0image

I voted for win coz i mainly play games (isnt that obvious?image)and on win you have no probs with it.In linux you need install system emulator or similiar things to run windows games and software...Hope longhorn will be great system (finally),by me XP is best what they build (dont know that servers and nt versions so cant compare with them but from home user family line xp is best)

But must honestly say few days ago i start to do a little with linux...well i installed it and run web browser so nothin specialimage but noticed one thing that under linux downloading is a way faster than under win....

So you see i couldnt vote for linux image

Wu name dizirgee->Tough Destroyer ::::40::
    lordken->Friendly Mastermind

I`m Lawful Good Human Fighter Paladin
    and you?

• FlipmodeFlipmode Member Posts: 224

Took me 4 hours to get gentoo fully working my way, it was well worth it and It owns windows any day in any way.

I still use windows but its just basic services on to it for games and maximum performence.

fire ze missilez!1111

fire ze missilez!1111

• Clever_GloveClever_Glove Member Posts: 996

How big is list of MMO's that work in Linux? I mean run natively, bot screwing around with a 3rd party piece of software to emulate the environment that might make the game run.

Answer: Very few

How many run in windows:

All of them.

Game rule the home market. Lunix supporters will need to convince game makers to make a linux client for their games.

You will never see Lunix take up a whole numer precent of the desktop OS market until it does.

If you want to say witch is better for a company, the answer is obvious.

-=-=-=-=-
    "We're a game that's focused on grouping and on solo play, you know, more group oriented, more solo play..."
    John Blakely Senior lead for EQ2. Link

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% The Test. Learn what it means here.

-=-=-=-=-
    Achievers realise that killers as a concept are necessary in order to make achievement meaningful and worthwhile (there being no way to "lose" the game if any fool can "win" just by plodding slowly unchallenged). -bartle

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% The Test. Learn what it means here.

• KiamdeKiamde Member CommonPosts: 5,820

Once you get used to it and its limitations, Linux is truly superior.

-----------------

"As I bit into the nectarine, it had a crisp juiciness about it that was very pleasurable - until I realized it wasn't a nectarine at all, but A HUMAN HEAD!!"

"Whoever controls the media controls the mind..-'Jim Morrison"

"When decorum is repression, the only dignity free men have is to speak out." ~Abbie Hoffman

• rathmarathma Member UncommonPosts: 3,786
     Windows is better for gaming. Period.

http://www.OriginNow.com - Official Fanboi

EverQuest II : Level 20 Paladin - Antonia Bayle Server
  • DarkLourDarkLour Member Posts: 25
    windows definatly for home and gamer needs.. but if your hosting a website go with linux or unix server, as microsoft servers are easyier to get hackd in crap

Best Regards,
    DarkLour
    FNG CLAN GHOST RECON
    FNG GAMING FPS, RPG,RTS Gamer Site Looking for Mods and Help in our MMORPG forums

Best Regards,
    DarkLour
    FNG CLAN GHOST RECON
    FNG GAMING FPS, RPG,RTS Gamer Site Looking for Mods and Help in our MMORPG forums

Originally posted by Clever_Glove

Game rule the home market. Lunix supporters will need to convince game makers to make a linux client for their games.
    You will never see Lunix take up a whole numer precent of the desktop OS market until it does.

Very wise words Clever fully agree with yaimage.This is what i thinking for years....image

and you?

• XzaroXzaro Member UncommonPosts: 1,719

Originally posted by Gunblade

Originally posted by dizirgee

Originally posted by Clever_Glove

Very wise words Clever fully agree with yaimage.This is what i thinking for years....image

Oh dude sometimes you should just search for everything clever has posted. Everything he types is very wise, well thought, and like sometimes...he must be god <_<..>_>. Clever Rules.

Also known as a SUCK UP

You could play as an indian or human

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

Originally posted by dizirgee
    lol windows rulez 8:0image
    I voted for win coz i mainly play games (isnt that obvious?image)and on win you have no probs with it.In linux you need install system emulator or similiar things to run windows games and software...Hope longhorn will be great system (finally),by me XP is best what they build (dont know that servers and nt versions so cant compare with them but from home user family line xp is best)
    But must honestly say few days ago i start to do a little with linux...well i installed it and run web browser so nothin specialimage but noticed one thing that under linux downloading is a way faster than under win....
    So you see i couldnt vote for linux imageWu name dizirgee->Tough Destroyer ::::40::

What kind of crack have you been smoking if you think XP is the best OS? Bug-Ridden PoS. Barely allowed to be used as my virtual TP. ::::02::

--------------------------------------------

33.333333333333336% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?

Killer 100%
    Achiever 53%
    Explorer 33%
    Socializer 13%

--------------------------------------------

• SketchSketch Member UncommonPosts: 337
    I've used just about every OS thuroughly and Linux & WinXP are pretty much on equal footing. Both are equally secure IF setup properly, but keep in mind the only way to secure either to the fullest extent means closing all ports except mail and http, not to mention a hardware firewall and packet sniffer. For indepth theyboth have about the same security feature, but linux has more manual control and won't "change" a setting automatically. But the Linux interface has it's own list of bugs and it's own (very large) list of compatability issues and not to mention for lacks a great deal of user friendly-ness. I prefer WinXp simply because it is more user friendly and has a far greater list of titles available. As for the argument of Mac & Linux having less hacks & viruses? of course, 85% of the PC users in the world are PC Windows based users, if your gonna make a virus and wanna nail as many peope as possible your not gonna target the little pond. Same reason for Hackers, most of the grow up learning to hack on PC so you hack what you know. As for which OS I would liketo see become the best? Honestly, I was really Hoping beOS would have made it. It was powerful, small, boot time was 15seconds, it was secure and user friendly. It was a shame THAT OS never made it. But Palm baught it and is hoping to use it on the Pilots and other PDAs.

• UmbroodUmbrood Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Linux is by all means a superior product, problem is of course so few use it, (in comparison), that very little mainstream software gets developed for it.

XP is the worst thing I have ever seen, them friggin guides drive me totally insane. It is also so intergrated into itself that any program crashing will bring every other program down, if you use media player this can be utter hell.

XP, (or even w2k at times), takes away pretty much all control you have over you OWN computer, I want settings I do not want friggin guides that make them settings for me. For XP MCP or MCSE you will learn that you HAVE to run them guides to get all available options, not the other way around as it should be. It takes infinetely longer time configuring a XP system then a w2k or Linux. Well Linux can take some time to but you do it only once, after wich it will works like that always.

I hate XP with a passion and even worse the M$ marketing army have been hard at work. for me that occasionally work with these things it is very hard to explain to some computer illiterate the difference and why you should avoid XP at all cost.

Linux gives you absolute total control over you computer, it is a dream to able to kill a program that is malfunctioning with one command and not having a message pop up. "sorry yu can not end this program", WTF it is my computer if I want to end then frigin end it. Same with deleting, having to start DOS or Linux to delete troublesome progs, or viruses can drive a man insane to.

I say use W2K at first, it gives you some control and works with everything, use Linux, (Mandrake), if you want total control and with some work you can get most everything to run if you wish.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Jerek_

I wonder if you honestly even believe what you type, or if you live in a made up world of facts.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• grimweepergrimweeper Member Posts: 2,047
    i think there both the same really except windows is easier to operate like for the people who cant work a computer for their life just read and click and not that much searching for everything its all organized

• TaskyZZTaskyZZ Member Posts: 1,476

Originally posted by Umbrood

XP is the worst thing I have ever seen, them friggin guides drive me totally insane. It is also so intergrated into itself that any program crashing will bring every other program down, if you use media player this can be utter hell.

This just isn't true with XP. It use to be true with other versions of Windows. but, with XP you can kill a task, or a program can crash and the OS will move along just fine.

My system hasn't been rebooted since August 9th and I use it every weekday for 8+ hours.

• SketchSketch Member UncommonPosts: 337
    Yep, XP only crashes for me (or I should say reboots on me) as a result of ATI's glitch in the new fireGL drivers and only in certain games on the rare occasion. Other then that it runs pretty stable. Most users I know say the exact same. The only people I know who are having problems are the people using really cheap or exotic hardware. Although I like the functionality of Media Player I do think (like most other aspects of XP) it's a dirty ram whore. SO you hate wizards, big deal so do I. I also hate having to scour the redmen file to find out what command prompt line type type to excute an install file when I sould just be able to double click the damn thing... Kind of negates the idea behind a GUI. I won;t make the switch to Linux until (A) it uses all the features on my specialty hardware and (B) Its as user friendly as  Win. (don't care about wizards).

• pyrofreakpyrofreak Member UncommonPosts: 1,481

XP, just for the games.

And i've had XP since it came out, and i havent had a fatal error once. No blue screen of death, GO ME!

Now with 57.3% more flames!

dekron and what you are smokin?So tell me which win is better?Do you ever saw blue screen in xp?!coz me not and i`m using it since it was released.Win95 was nightmare i had amd system and i had to reinstall whole system every 1or2 weeks and 98 wasnt much better it last for one more week or so and you everytime had blue screen...From my point of view win xp (professional)

Agreed with TaskyZZ.Umbrood you can kill any program what freez but sometimes you must use end process rather than end task

And what you mean it take longer time to configure system?What configuration dunno what you mean but it cant take more than few minutes 15-20 maybe?But i want see how fast it can be in linux as it is  very little user-friendly...And linux isnt perfect system as some ppl think.From my experience i can tell (mandrake 10) it have serious problem even to install on my system i personaly think it was coz sata but who knows...

As for the argument of Mac & Linux having less hacks & viruses? of course, 85% of the PC users in the world are PC Windows based users, if your gonna make a virus and wanna nail as many peope as possible your not gonna target the little pond. Same reason for Hackers, most of the grow up learning to hack on PC so you hack what you know.

Agreed Sketh you have have the point manimage

and you?

• MogozozMogozoz Member Posts: 5
    I have to give my vote to Windows, i dont understand how could i ever manage to live with linux :p

• Sir-SvenSir-Sven Member Posts: 773

I think Linux might start taking over. But people aren't used to it. It might take a while, but when Linux fixes the things that are limited, it will start kicking ass. I would definatley download Linux. Windows on the other hand, it is definately a usable platform. But the way it works is dumb. Maybe they as well will get better in time.

Is this what it looks like?