Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lost my MMORPG touch? Feedback please.

Spector88Spector88 Member UncommonPosts: 112

I started my MMORPG adventure with the first ever HUD (MMORPG) when I was just 9 years old, The Realm Online release by Sierra in 1995, it has been owned by several companies and still has a few people paying a subscription to play it. (4-5 years solid) (10 years off and on)

I have played a large number of the main MMORPG's. Diablo II (6mo - 1yr) was quite fun and my relatives got me into Asheron's Call (3-4 years solid). I dabbled in EQ for a very short time but did not like it as much as Asheron's Call (microsoft/turbine) Asheron's Call held me for several years and I got near max level eventually. During this time I played a very low quality game called Well of Souls too in my spare time because of its community and free play. Asheron's Call had patron/vassal relationships and experience chains making it one of the friendliest/most player helpful game ive seen. Partly because if they helped you it helped them and also because people took pride in their guilds.

I played Dark Age of Camelot and got to max level on that in about 5-6 months well after it was released and I tried Guild Wars. Since all of these games I did beta for LOTRO, and played Vangaurd with family members apon release.

The past year has been WoW, my best friend let WoW take over his life and completely failed out of college because he skipped classes. Atleast he has a T5 Fury Warrior right?? There is just so many people that play WoW and it just doesnt have a deep feeling to it of worth it just seems to mass marketed and the end game content is too in depth for a casual player to enjoy.

I did not like EQ, and I hated Vangaurd. Vangaurd is LAGGY in the lowest settings and completely glitchy. I have not found a true calling in an MMO for a while the closest thing was WoW but even that is extremely generalised and too large for a community feel. It also seems like a Walmart corporate giant of MMO's completely sucking your life but giving you no fond memories.

I have downloaded a lot of asian free games that have very bad socializing because of crappy chat configs or just foriegners. I have played extensively also: Conquer Online, Cabal Online, Kal Online, 9 Dragons Online...

I have deleted my WoW,Vangaurd, and every other subscription and was contemplating going back to Asherons Call which is almost desolate due to mostly botters and no one playing anymore. I am making this post because MAYBE someone who reads this MIGHT know of another game I could try or like based on what I have said. Otherwise, maybe I have just outgrown MMORPG's which I have invested thousands of hours of my life playing. I am sure there is tidbits I have left out because this has been my main hobby other than football for the past decade.

I am looking for a game with:

Good community (not too small, not too large)

Not out of prime if it has been out a while

PvP/PvE content

Smooth gameplay/graphics..

My computer is:

Dell Inspiron 6000 notepook

1.8 ghz

1gig RAM

Radeon x300 graphix

(As you can see Vangaurd was rough and Age of Conan is probably out of the question. WoW ran perfect though)

Anyway best regards,

Andrew

Comments

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Have you tried Eve.  While it can be a bit daunting at first, the tutorial is pretty good and people are very helpful, especially if you can find a good corp to join.  The great thing about Eve is that almost everything is player made so if you get tired of pvping or pveing, you can make things. 

• MimirAesirMimirAesir Member Posts: 12

I'm in similar situation but different life experience.

Try something low key and oriented towards crafting like Istaria or a Tale in the Desert.

When I needed a break from PvP or 'mainline' MMORPG I played these games for about 4-6 months each.

Stanley

Meridian59 - '96-'99, Vallon Zek (EQ) - '99-'03, Shadowbane - '02-'03, SWG - '03-'04, then bounced around to...AoC - '08

Meridian59 '96-'99/Everquest (Vallon Zek) '99-'03/Shadowbane '03/SWG '04/This and that '05-'10/Eve Online '11/LotR '11-'12

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Dark Age of Camelot

Go onto the classic server, its the only one with a full population. Its PvE is "ok" and the PvP or RvR, is what the game is all about.

Its system specs were designed to be handled by a PC in the very early 2000's with a dial up connection so you should be good there.

There is a free trial so you have nothing to loose.

www.darkageofcamelot.com/

Good luck

• ladyattisladyattis Member Posts: 1,273

The muds by Iron Realms Entertainment are a hoot if you want to try something different as such with no need for a monthly fee. All class/profession guilds are handled by players and GMs, and events unfold quite naturally for the respective games (Achaea, Lusternia, Aetolia, and Imperian). In fact, I believe several player's own characters have become gods within two of these games as a result of the player's actions. So, if you want something different try theirs out (if you don't mind MUDs and text based games).

-- Brede