Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Law about posters disclosing whether or not they are employed by game companies

ArcAngel3ArcAngel3 Member Posts: 2,931

The Federal Trade Commission has stated that people who work for companies and engage in the kind of "word of mouth" marketting you often read in forums must publicly disclose their relationships with their employers.

In essence, posting here or anywhere else for that matter, as if you're simply a player of a game, when you are in fact in the employ of the service provider is illegal.  It's misleading marketting.

In light of this reality, I'd like to see all such persons posting here to be required to disclose their relationship with any MMO game company in their signatures.

If they don't disclose this in the sig, and this is discovered, I think it would be appropriate for them to be banned and reported to the FTC.

I don't mind people plugging their own product.  I do mind when they do this in a way that is intentionally deceptive, and so does the law.

Comments

• ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

Who cares?

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811
    Originally posted by ianubisi

Who cares?

Here is one!

• ArcAngel3ArcAngel3 Member Posts: 2,931

Originally posted by altairzq

Originally posted by ianubisi

Who cares?

Here is one!

Probably all the people that don't like salespeople misrepresenting themselves to try to get their cash.  I'm one of those also. 

This FTC initiative was based on national research that found people didn't like it when supposed customers reported being happy with a product, and then it turned out that they were in fact salespeople in the employ of the company providing that product or service.

• pussaykatpussaykat Member Posts: 791

seriously...

/tinfoilhat

no, seriously...

/tinfoilhat

-Would you like cheddar or swiss cheese?
    -Yes.

• gathgath Member Posts: 424

Originally posted by pussaykat

seriously...
    /tinfoilhat
    no, seriously...
    /tinfoilhat
    It's only a conspiracy theory untill they come after you.

On a more serious note: i care, not that it will do anything, but i hate all the pseudo marketing fan posts...

Senhores da Guerra

• ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

Try not paying attention to grass-roots hype. Then this is a non-issue for you.

All it takes is a tiny pinch of common sense and objective thinking to separate the partisans from the honest critiques. You don't need a degree or special education to accomplish this.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Why do you even bother with this kind of stuff? You will NEVER know if someone works for a company, never, there is no point in even trying to search for those kind of posters.

This discussion has been closed.